David Johnson getting some lofty lofty praise....

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really cannot understand how cardinal fans on this board are underselling DJ compared to the average nfl fan who is ranking him as the best fantasy RB.

Probably battered fan syndrome. We're still paranoid and some of us are having trouble adjusting to the team's current success.

OP
OP
Shane

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think Cards fans are underselling DJ as much as you are underselling CJ. DJ is obviously a beast and will rack up plenty of fantasy points this year but CJ is a very good RB. I predict 10 carries a game and when Juke can stay on the field for more games then not then we can truly discuss whether or not he is better than CJ.

He's better then CJ and it it's already been proven...

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Y

You chose Eddie Lacy in the top 2???? Might wanna quit fantasy altogether bro :)
It was him, Jamal Charles or Adrian Peterson. Charles would have been a waste too and I just thought Peterson wouldn't have a great year. I don't like picking at the top, hopefully i get a later pick this year, I don't see many consensus number one guys right now outside of Antonio brown.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is a reason he is being compared to Marshall faulk by Stump Mitchell, Arians, Keim and Tom Moore.

Was Faulk limited because the defense knew of his abilities? He had a pretty good bunch of receivers around him in st louis - but he was still the focal point of the offense.

I really cannot understand how cardinal fans on this board are underselling DJ compared to the average nfl fan who is ranking him as the best fantasy RB. Chris Johnson is not half the back DJ is, if you don't see that than I don't think you know what a good running back looks like.

One thing I am sure of, they are not going to make chris johnson, who is 30 pounds lighter and all around inferior, the goal line back. They will give him some carries - I predict 5 a game, maybe not even that many because ellington is better than him when heathly - but his carries will not be at the goal line.
CJ was one of the top rb is the NFL the first half of the season, I wouldn't under sell him either.

My only point is that outside of a ppr league I don't like having cardinal skill position players because BA and Palmer go after the hot hand. Especially at wr there were trade off games between all of them on who would stand out. If DJ stays healthy all year he could be huge but I think the massive talent behind him will take away some points vs using a back on a team with minimal depth and heavy run game reliance.

We'll see.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
When did this happen? Last year when CJ was the 3rd best back in the league?

Come on you can't be serious. Having the third most yards in the first half of the year does not equal third best back. A heck of a lot depends on the offensive line and offense you have around you and CJ's situation was much better than average.

So which one of these backs is he better than? Adrian Peterson, Todd Gurley, Leveon Bell, Lamar Miller, Jamal Charles, Doug Martin, Leshon McCoy, Thomas Rawls, Matt Forte, Latavius Murray, Devonta Freeman, Mark Ingram, David Johnson.

He is not better than any of those guys - that would make him 14th and that is arguable. But I would also rather have Eddie Lacy, Charcandrick West, Chris Ivory, TJ Yeldon, DeMarcco Murray, Giovani Bernard, Ryan Mathews, Dion Lewis, Carlos Hyde, Duke Johnson, Spencer Ware, Tevin Coleman, Ezekiel Elliot, Derick Henry and Karlos Williams.

That would make him 28th - and than there are at least a few I think are very comparable to him and probably better like Jeremy Hill, Rashad Jennings, Jeremy Langford, CJ Anderson, Jonathan Stewart, Deangelo Williams, Alfred Morris, Frank Gore, and Andre Ellington.

So in my book he is much closer to 30th - 35th best back, not 3rd. But that is still not bad for a back up.

Reaction score
Come on you can't be serious. Having the third most yards in the first half of the year does not equal third best back. A heck of a lot depends on the offensive line and offense you have around you and CJ's situation was much better than average.

So which one of these backs is he better than? Adrian Peterson, Todd Gurley, Leveon Bell, Lamar Miller, Jamal Charles, Doug Martin, Leshon McCoy, Thomas Rawls, Matt Forte, Latavius Murray, Devonta Freeman, Mark Ingram, David Johnson.

He is not better than any of those guys - that would make him 14th and that is arguable. But I would also rather have Eddie Lacy, Charcandrick West, Chris Ivory, TJ Yeldon, DeMarcco Murray, Giovani Bernard, Ryan Mathews, Dion Lewis, Carlos Hyde, Duke Johnson, Spencer Ware, Tevin Coleman, Ezekiel Elliot, Derick Henry and Karlos Williams.

That would make him 28th - and than there are at least a few I think are very comparable to him and probably better like Jeremy Hill, Rashad Jennings, Jeremy Langford, CJ Anderson, Jonathan Stewart, Deangelo Williams, Alfred Morris, Frank Gore, and Andre Ellington.

So in my book he is much closer to 30th - 35th best back, not 3rd. But that is still not bad for a back up.

AE. That is what this discussion is about. Not all of the other backs.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score

So there are 35 better RBS out there yet prior to his injury he was 3rd out of them all.

And we will give DJ ultimate credit but CJ is discounted just because he played on an elite team? pretty sure DJ has the same team.

I find this all rather comical, CJ is not the best RB in the league anymore but there is no reason to hate on a guy that was a big reason for our success in the first half of last season.

OP
OP
Shane

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When did this happen? Last year when CJ was the 3rd best back in the league?

Thats great and he was awesome LAST YEAR. Yet as soon as he was injured and David Johnson took over he was clearly better.. He had more burst more power and better receiving skills. CJ was getting caught from behind when he would break a run. For as good as he was and as glad as I am to have him on the roster AS A BACK UP DJ is better. If you can't see or recognize that I really don't know what to tell you. You don't see tons of attention and articles being written about CJ do you?? There is a reason for that.. He's another year older and another year of wear and tear on an already old body. He a great luxury to have to spell DJ but if he gets more then 5 carries game ide be very surprised.

Last edited:

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the exciting thing on DJ is he was a much better RB as a starter than a backup. His average actually went UP, from 4.0 to 4.9, in nearly 3 times the carries. He was actually less effective as a receiver but only slightly.

You just never know when a guy goes from part time to full time, that was always my issue with him last year, but when it happened, he was terrific. He also showed as the season went on he improved his ball security which was huge because early in the year he looked like a guy who might be prone to fumbling.

CJ was terrific the first half of the year before getting hurt, he can be a huge asset to us. Ellington is basically IMO going to be in the role this year that DJ was last year, come in to set up mismatches in the passing game or surprise runs.

Reaction score
Thats great and he was awesome LAST YEAR. Yet as soon as he was injured and David Johnson took over he was clearly better.. He had more burst more power and better receiving skills. CJ was getting caught from behind when he would break a run. For as good as he was and as glad as I am to have him on the roster AS A BACK UP DJ is better. If you can't see or recognize that I really don't know what to tell you. You don't see tons of attention and articles being written about CJ do you?? There is a reason for that.. He's another year older and another year of wear and tear on an already old body. He a great luxury to have to spell DJ but if he gets more then 5 carries game ide be very surprised.

I thought we were talking about CJ & AE not CJ & DJ?

Reaction score
I don't think Cards fans are underselling DJ as much as you are underselling CJ. DJ is obviously a beast and will rack up plenty of fantasy points this year but CJ is a very good RB. I predict 10 carries a game and when Juke can stay on the field for more games then not then we can truly discuss whether or not he is better than CJ.

He's better then CJ and it it's already been proven...

The bolded is what I was going by.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The way to keep Carson Palmer healthy this season is to build a strong running game. The Cards have the pieces but it has to be the game plan too.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA