Red White Practice Observations

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Re: DJ Hunphries

Max Starks was on 98.7. He worked with DJ at LeCharles Bentleys o lineman workshop this offseason

His comments were interesting: All the physical tools you want. Attitude is good as well. Predicts that this season, you will see great games and you will see games where he struggles. Called it part of the experience/learning process -- but said he thinks ultimately DJ will be a top notch NFL tackle.

The vibe from Max was this: he's good, but it's not all going to be smooth sailing this year from him.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score

Max Starks was on 98.7. He worked with DJ at LeCharles Bentleys o lineman workshop this offseason

His comments were interesting: All the physical tools you want. Attitude is good as well. Predicts that this season, you will see great games and you will see games where he struggles. Called it part of the experience/learning process -- but said he thinks ultimately DJ will be a top notch NFL tackle.

The vibe from Max was this: he's good, but it's not all going to be smooth sailing this year from him.

This sounds a lot like Massie after his rookie season, which was a tire fire, but he eventually became serviceable.

Kinda get the same feel re: DJ. I didn't like the pick at all and he needed to be redshirted last year to shape up his attitude and work on raw technique.

I don't take anything that happens in practice very seriously, so I'm not going to smile or frown on any player just yet, but DJ turning the corner is going to be paramount for this line. As it stands, he is the weakest link until proven otherwise.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

I saw on 12 News Sports Night last week. Starks mentioned that Humphries will be relying on Mathis a lot to get his assignments. It sounds like it's going to be a trial by fire year for DJ unless BASK fear for Palmer's safety and bring in a veteran.

Bodha

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I was at practice last tuesday and noticed Humphries.

My concern is rising. I would like to think that we just have 2 stupendous pass rushers in Chandler and Golden whod give any T trouble, but Hump certainly has been struggling vs those two. I feel way better if we could bring in other T at this point. Not to start, just as insurance.

The main thing I notice is his anchor. He can mirror speed guys pretty good but he cannot take bullrushes.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was at practice last tuesday and noticed Humphries.

My concern is rising. I would like to think that we just have 2 stupendous pass rushers in Chandler and Golden whod give any T trouble, but Hump certainly has been struggling vs those two. I feel way better if we could bring in other T at this point. Not to start, just as insurance.

The main thing I notice is his anchor. He can mirror speed guys pretty good but he cannot take bullrushes.

Did those players also go up against Veldheer?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't really notice him. Sometimes I'd look up (I was with my 6- and 4-year old boys) and see someone from the second team being productive, and it'd often be Christian.

That said, I don't think we're going to know much about this rookie class until next year--the team is too deep.

such an awesome thing to read after all these years.

think about this guys... we are going into our fourth straight year of what should be really high level football. That's astounding considering where this franchise was just a decade ago.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
D.J. Humphries may not even be a serviceable NFL starter. He was getting pushed back into the QB constantly. I wouldn't be surprised if the Cards brought in a veteran now that they've freed up some cap space.

CB Brandon Williams didn't look like much. Not worse than Bethel, just nothing special.

Either Andre Ellington is running second string, or Chris Johnson was given a veterans day.

The Defensive Line group looks deep. Everyone looks good, in shape. No one seemed to be dragging except maybe Stinson and Williams.

Markus Golden and Chandler Jones look the part. Alex Okafor seems to have given up. Very little fight in that guy.

Nothing special about S Tyvon Branch that I could see.

The ILB group is the most pedestrian on the team.

QB Matt Barkley may not make the roster. Could go with two roster QBs and put Coker on the PS.

The best indicator yet we are going to the Super Bowl. Whata time to be Alive!

CFLredzoned

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Yeah Veldheer wins more than he loses, but he definitely gets beat sometimes. Mostly by Chandler.

Yeah Veldheer just completely envelops him. I did notice that he's doing alot of blatant holding though. It almost seems like he's trying to send a message that 'hey this is just practice, relax'. But Chandler isn't having it. He's gonna go all out. I wonder if these two might get into a skirmish before TC is up. I guess it depends how much holding Chandler is willing to put up with. FWIW, I'm basing this off a couple videos I saw earlier in TC.

Hopefully he gets to face Khalil Mack this weekend. Then maybe a couple of average servicable starter type edge rushers for perspective - just to see if he's capable of holding off ANY NFL talent, cause I know Mack will embarass him.

I get the feeling though that it's going to be alot of chipping and helping out needed on that right side. Cause I think Mathis will even have problems pass blocking against some of the fronts we have to face this year.

Bodha

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I wonder if these two might get into a skirmish before TC is up.

:biglaugh:Chandler is the goofiest pro-bowl caliber player Ive ever seen. "Aw shucks" is something he actually says regularly if you watch his "mic'd up" episodes. Theres almost no scenario where I can see him getting into a fight.

Veldheer is a pretty chill guy. I don't see him fighting either.

CFLredzoned

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Chandler is the goofiest pro-bowl caliber player Ive ever seen. "Aw shucks" is something he actually says regularly if you watch his "mic'd up" episodes. Theres almost no scenario where I can see him getting into a fight.

Yeah that's true. "Hey Gronky. Hey Gronky."

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Carson and Troy are good pals---remember the fishing trip they went on?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson