With the 4th pick, the Phoenix Suns Select

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
OK. Hoopshype is reporting that the Lakers are still exploring trading their pick. They want to get better faster, especially since they do not want a good pick to convey to the Sixers.

So, to move up:

#4 and Bledsoe? #4, PJ, and Knight? Please don't flame me. I am trying to suggest something that makes sense for the Suns and gives them some vets.

#4 and Bledsoe might make sense. We might have to throw in Chandler. I could see the Lakers wanting him. They would not care about the money. Then draft Simmons or Ingram, whoever is left. Take the best pg available at #13 or pursue a pg in free agency.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I guess I'd go bender if there's a chance he drops to us. But that's just bc he's big and being touted. Tape I've seen doesn't convince me he's anything special.

Brown might be the only remotely exciting pick and I'm skeptical he'll ever be more than pf in sf body.

After them I dunno . . . Dunn? But with the hopes he becomes a legit floor general and then we have to deal Bledsoe bc he won't be a backup (already considering knight gone, cuz he is . . . in my dreams).

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
OK. Hoopshype is reporting that the Lakers are still exploring trading their pick. They want to get better faster, especially since they do not want a good pick to convey to the Sixers.

So, to move up:

#4 and Bledsoe? #4, PJ, and Knight? Please don't flame me. I am trying to suggest something that makes sense for the Suns and gives them some vets.

The question for me would be, what do the Lakers think they need? Maybe they're sold on Russell, but surely they can't be too high on Clarkson. Does anyone want Knight, and does he move the needle for a bad team? He didn't for the Suns.

#4, Knight, and Warren? The Suns would have to be pretty sold on whoever is at #2.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
His shooting percentages are not good. Today's NBA is all about floor spacing and 3 point shooting. Bender was the pick. At number three, BPA at position of need. Made for the stretch 4 position in today's NBA. Possibly the highest ceiling of anyone in the draft. Now, Boston's gonna take him. But hey, it sure felt great to win those last couple of games at the end of the season, right......

Ok, maybe I'm getting a little carried away with DB. Still, we need a PF SOOOOO BAAAAAD. It seemed like a perfect fit. Every other PF is a total reach with the fourth pick. If/when Boston takes DB, BPA are all guards. We need another guard like we need Knight to take more 20 footers with 17 seconds on the shot clock. The thought of drafting Brown just depresses me. I'd almost rather reach on Chriss. Take all PF's with 4, 13, 28. One of em's bound to hit, right?

The Suns said during the press conference they will NOT be drafting for position need and take BPA. They did say that pick would impact the second pick because they don't want to draft two players for the same position.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hope the Suns seriously consider this possibility. If there's a team that projects to be in the lottery next season too that desperately wants our pick, I wouldn't hesitate to give them our pick for their unprotected one next season plus some other asset (either this pick this year or some player or something).

Because right now, our options at #4 are looking :barf:

They need to trade #4, #13 or whatever it is, and another 1st next year to move up.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I would attempt to trade #4, but if I had to choose, I'd have to go with Buddy Hield. Somewhat redundant with Booker, and Bogdanovic would complicate things further even with Knight gone, but in my opinion, he will be a big-time scorer.

Fortunately for the Suns, I am NOT the one making any picks. I am confident McD will get good talent at both 4 and 13.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

So, to move up:

#4 and Bledsoe might make sense. We might have to throw in Chandler. I could see the Lakers wanting him. They would not care about the money. Then draft Simmons or Ingram, whoever is left. Take the best pg available at #13 or pursue a pg in free agency.

I don't think #4, pj and knight or chandler does it. I think it would have to be Bledsoe. And likely Len too. I'd do Bledsoe and then try like hell to trade up from 13 to take Dunn. If we could pick up Simmons/Ingram and Dunn for the 4th, Bledsoe, 13th, warren, and future heat picks I'd be all over it. But that's a lot of moving parts Ina league where those kind of trades aren't really common.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It looks like Kris Dunn is trying to control where he wants to go in the draft by selectively withholding medical records for teams like the Suns and Celtics under the BPA scenario.

The Suns could conceivably want to draft him at #4.

Good luck with that. Trying to play power games with teams rarely works out for unproven players.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
It looks like Kris Dunn is trying to control where he wants to go in the draft by selectively withholding medical records for teams like the Suns and Celtics under the BPA scenario.

The Suns could conceivably want to draft him at #4.

http://arizonasports.com/story/661078/blazers-assistant-coach-jay-triano-join-suns-staff/

Its kinda funny cause its basically like even the draftee saying "Stop drafting guards, you already have enough, focus on your bigs!!!".

Of course if the plan is to trade Bledsoe and Knight then I wouldn't mind another guard. But if we're keeping both, I want the #4 pick to be someone who can come in and start.

chickenhead

Reaction score
...no one will that make any impact.

Why do we always get our highest picks in years that the draft absolutely sucks? Bender? Great, we can be the Ivory Towers! Heild... okay... we've got our SG of the future. But hey, the Suns love their redundancy, so sign him up! Everyone else at 4? Blegh... just blegh.

Maybe we end up in the lottery with a good pick next year, and get a better pair of players than if we make the playoffs at #8 this year? Just looking for a bright side (aside from the obvious one of drafting a perennial all-star at #4...

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This isn't the nfl. Those kind of deals when there are only two studs, just don't happen.

http://www.lakersnation.com/lakers-...tively-explore-trading-draft-pick/2016/05/18/

The Los Angeles Lakers were fortunate at the NBA Draft Lottery as they remained in their second spot, giving them a chance to draft either Duke’s Brandon Ingram or LSU’s Ben Simmons.

The early belief is that the Philadelphia 76ers are leaning towards drafting Simmons, and the Lakers would be thrilled to land Ingram at number two. Of course, simply selecting at two isn’t the only option and general manager Mitch Kupchak will be looking at that too.

According to Kevin Ding of Bleacher Report, the Lakers will explore trading their draft pick:

Still, the Lakers will actively explore trading the pick. They want to get better as soon as possible—in part to make sure Philadelphia doesn’t get too good of a pick next year when the Lakers’ first-rounder conveys to the 76ers if it’s outside the top three. Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak is also seeking a better blend of youth and experience on the roster.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good luck with that. Trying to play power games with teams rarely works out for unproven players.

I agree. If I were done Dunn, I would be more concerned about being drafted as early as possible.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Its kinda funny cause its basically like even the draftee saying "Stop drafting guards, you already have enough, focus on your bigs!!!".

Of course if the plan is to trade Bledsoe and Knight then I wouldn't mind another guard. But if we're keeping both, I want the #4 pick to be someone who can come in and start.

I do not seeing the Suns being able to draft a starter at #4 unless someone blows them away.

IMO, there is a real chance the Suns may try to trade Knight especially if Bogdan comes over. I do not think the Suns would want to start a rookie PG over Bledsoe so I think Bledsoe stays. Also I think Knight has more trade value to the right team.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
I hope the Suns seriously consider this possibility. If there's a team that projects to be in the lottery next season too that desperately wants our pick, I wouldn't hesitate to give them our pick for their unprotected one next season plus some other asset (either this pick this year or some player or something).

Because right now, our options at #4 are looking :barf:

At #4 BPA is probably going to be Dunn. And it's pretty clear that he does not want to come to PHX. There's probably a few teams that would like to move up to draft a PG, so if he's there at #4 I wouldn't be surprised to see McD trade the pick.

Obviously I'm not a scout but Bender doesn't really impress me either. Not at #4. I'm actually more interested in seeing what they do at #13. I'd be totally content if they got a halfway decent deal for the #4 pick.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At #4 BPA is probably going to be Dunn. And it's pretty clear that he does not want to come to PHX. There's probably a few teams that would like to move up to draft a PG, so if he's there at #4 I wouldn't be surprised to see McD trade the pick.

We agree. I think McDonough will strongly listen to trade offers for the #4 pick.

Obviously I'm not a scout but Bender doesn't really impress me either. Not at #4. I'm actually more interested in seeing what they do at #13. I'd be totally content if they got a halfway decent deal for the #4 pick.

It would be sweet if the Suns traded down a few predetermined notches, draft the player they want and pick up a future #1 pick.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
We agree. I think McDonough will strongly listen to trade offers for the #4 pick.

It would be sweet if the Suns traded down a few predetermined notches, draft the player they want and pick up a future #1 pick.

Yeah I wouldn't hate this. If you can stay in the top 10 and grab another (unprotected) future pick you'd have to consider it, at least.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I do not seeing the Suns being able to draft a starter at #4 unless someone blows them away.

IMO, there is a real chance the Suns may try to trade Knight especially if Bogdan comes over. I do not think the Suns would want to start a rookie PG over Bledsoe so I think Bledsoe stays. Also I think Knight has more trade value to the right team.

If they draft another PG, I hope they have trades set up because if not, Knight or Bledsoe or the rookie PG will be unhappy and we're gonna continue to deal with the same drama we've had to deal with for the last 2 years of having too many players playing the same position and nobody have their role defined or being unhappy with minutes.

As far as not being able to draft someone at #4 that can start, I disagree. I think Bender would start at PF day one. Same with Skal, Davis maybe even Chris's. Who would be their competition? Jon Leur? Lol.

And Jaylen Brown can start day one over Tucker as well. Not like Tucker's providing us something that's irreplaceable even his defense isn't all that great anymore.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If they draft another PG, I hope they have trades set up because if not, Knight or Bledsoe or the rookie PG will be unhappy and we're gonna continue to deal with the same drama we've had to deal with for the last 2 years of having too many players playing the same position and nobody have their role defined or being unhappy with minutes.

That's what happens when you lose. When you win, you hear little or nothing about those kind of problems. Our problem has been mostly a lack of talent and until recently, a lack of leadership.

As far as not being able to draft someone at #4 that can start, I disagree. I think Bender would start at PF day one. Who would be his competition? Jon Leur? Lol.

I think there are several players that will become starters out of this class but the "Lol" is probably misused here. I think it's highly unlikely that Bender will be better than Leuer the first year. Bender might start over Jon or Mirza or the likes but it will be in hopes of what he becomes, not what he currently is IMO. He doesn't look anywhere near NBA ready AFAIC.

And Jaylen Brown can start day one over Tucker as well. Not like Tucker's providing us something that's irreplaceable even his defense isn't all that great anymore.

Tucker is pretty bad especially when given starter minutes but I just don't know how Brown's game is going to translate to the NBA. The players are much quicker and much stronger at the next level, so much of what he currently does to get shots isn't going to work for him. I'd certainly start him day one over Tucker but I wouldn't be shocked to see him play himself into a reserve spot in fairly short order.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
That's what happens when you lose. When you win, you hear little or nothing about those kind of problems. Our problem has been mostly a lack of talent and until recently, a lack of leadership.

I think there are several players that will become starters out of this class but the "Lol" is probably misused here. I think it's highly unlikely that Bender will be better than Leuer the first year. Bender might start over Jon or Mirza or the likes but it will be in hopes of what he becomes, not what he currently is IMO. He doesn't look anywhere near NBA ready AFAIC.

Tucker is pretty bad especially when given starter minutes but I just don't know how Brown's game is going to translate to the NBA. The players are much quicker and much stronger at the next level, so much of what he currently does to get shots isn't going to work for him. I'd certainly start him day one over Tucker but I wouldn't be shocked to see him play himself into a reserve spot in fairly short order.
Of course most rookies start because of the hope they will eventually become not because their better right then and there. Especially if it's vet players who have very low ceilings like we do. That is why most rookies would start over the likes of guys like Jon Leuer or PJ Tucker.

I'm not sure about lack of talent. I think if you have too many players at the same position, there will be turmoil regardless of the talent. Dragic, Bledsoe, Ennis and IT formed one of hell of a talented backcourt, maybe top 3 in the league in talent and yet there was friction.

Suns have to stop trying to be redundant and focus on the holes on the roster.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Are you comparing the 6-1 175 lb Eddie House with the 6-5 212 lb Hield. One is a small sg in a pg's body. The other is a sg in a strong sg's body. No comparison. Monta Ellis is 6-3, 185. Again, the body is just not that comparable.

Thats not a good comparison at all. I think Buddy has some Dwade in his game.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I agree. If I were done Dunn, I would be more concerned about being drafted as early as possible.

he is basically saying there is no way he can beat those guys out for a starting position. If a number 4 pick doesn't think he has a prayer of displacing oft injured Eric Bledsoe or inefficient Brandon Knight, I am not sure I want him.