Captain America: Civil War

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This was a great movie. Although once again....the villain was uber lame. That's why I can't put this above Avengers. Loki has been and still is one of the best villains to date in any hero genre film. Plus, Avengers really set the tone for all the interaction between heroes for all the films that followed. The battle at the airport, Spiderman, the internal conflict was all great stuff. My top 5 order would be Avengers, CACW, CAWS, Iron Man and Deadpool. GOTG, Antman and AAOU being right up there.

To be fair though...this hasn't been DC crap so in my list there is a ton of 1A/1B, 2A/2B stuff going on. The level of pretty much the entire MCU just blows DC away right now.

The movie overall:

The movie was great. My second favorite. Again...my biggest issue was the bad guy...again. I really wish they hadn't killed off Crossbones who was really powerful and huge pain in the side of the heroes in the comics. They killed him basically just for opening sequence fodder. They couldn't have figured out a way to use him more or throughout? Then somehow Zemo, some "average" guy (that's how they portray this character in the MCU), figured out a way to infiltrate all kinds of things, track people down etc.? It was really really weak. If they had Crossbones working with him that would have made way more sense. Even the end was overkill....throwing him in a maximum security cell (the same as the Winder Soldier)?!?! Zemo is one of the best villains in the Marvel arsenal and they turned him lame. Come on. This continues to be Marvel's only weakness IMO.

The rest was great though. The internal conflict with the Avengers was the bread and butter for me. Seeing how easily the team could fall apart and have differences of opinion was the most interesting. The huge battle at the airport was epic. The addition of the other characters didn't really make me miss Hulk or Thor that much. Although they were missed. What is interesting is the more I have seen of Bucky's character the more I like it. My daughter said it's her favorite character in the MCU.

Best lines......."onesie" line from Tony. "Can you move your seat up" line and the one where Falcon and Bucky are on the floor webbed......"You couldn't have done that earlier" followed by "I hate you". Loved the Antman lines and Spiderman lines overall.

Extra scenes (stingers):
In terms of the extra scenes? They were not your typical setup or setup tidbit type scenes really for the future movies. They were both a bit of throwaway.

Scene 1 was basically an epilogue. The Black Panther had a change of heart and decided to help Captain and Bucky by putting him under until they can figure out a way to remove what Hydra did. Captain America warned BP that if they found out..they would come for him.....his response.....Let them try. The camera pans out to show they are somewhere deep in Wakanda. In essence this appears to be an easy way out to explain why Bucky won't be around much for the next couple films maybe.

The second scene was Spiderman getting a signal out of his web shooters thanks to Tony Stark upgrading his gear. I don't think it has much to do with the shining it on villains in future movies (like the comics). Mostly in the comics that signal was emitted from Spiderman's belt..not his shooters. It did appear on his shooters as well like a flashlight of sorts but it was probably nothing more than a nod to classic Spiderman. Besides that would be so lame on film to shine it every time bad guys show up. In terms of this movie I think it has a more practical function. That would be a signal from the Avengers. The Russo's in interviews have been hammering home the Spiderman/Tony connection and mentoring. I think this was part of showing the audience this wasn't a one and done. Tony who sees himself in Peter would continue to mentor him and call on him from time to time. However, the film clearly establishes Tony might do it sparingly as during the airport scene he told him to stand down.....

Last edited:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
This was a great movie. Although once again....the villain was uber lame. That's why I can't put this above Avengers. Loki has been and still is one of the best villains to date in any hero genre film. The only area I can keep criticizing Marvel on is the quality overall of their villains in these movies. Having said that, the battle at the airport, Spiderman, the internal conflict was all great stuff. My top 5 order would be Avengers, CACW, CAWS, Iron Man and Deadpool. GOTG, Antman and AAOU being right up there.

To be fair though...this hasn't been DC crap so in my list there is a ton of 1A/1B, 2A/2B stuff going on. The level of pretty much the entire MCU just blows DC away right now.

The movie overall:

The movies was great. My second favorite. Again...my biggest issue was the bad guy...again. I really wish they hadn't killed off Crossbones who was really powerful and huge pain in the side of the heroes in the comics. They killed him basically just for opening sequence fodder. They couldn't have figured out a way to use him more or throughout? Then somehow some "average" guy figured out a way to infiltrate all kinds of things, track people down etc.? It was really really weak. If they had Crossbones working with him that would have made way more sense. Even the end was overkill....throwing him in a maximum security cell (the same as the Winder Soldier)?!?! Come on. This continues to be Marvel's only weakness IMO.

The rest was great though. The internal conflict with the Avengers was the bread and butter for me. Seeing how easily the team could fall apart and have differences of opinion was the most interesting. The huge battle at the airport was epic. The addition of the other characters didn't really make me miss Hulk or Thor that much. Although they were missed. What is interesting is the more I have seen of Bucky's character the more I like it. My daughter said it's her favorite character in the MCU.

Extra scenes (stingers):
In terms of the extra scenes? They were not your typical setup or setup tidbit type scenes really for the future movies. They were both a bit of throwaway.

Scene 1 was basically an epilogue. The Black Panther had a change of heart and decided to help Captain and Bucky by putting him under until they can figure out a way to remove what Hydra did. Captain America warned BP that if they found out..they would come for him.....his response.....Let them try. The camera fades out to show they are somewhere deep in Wakanda. In essence this appears to be an easy way out to explain why Bucky won't be around much for the next couple films maybe.

The second scene was Spiderman getting a signal out of his web shooters thanks to Tony Stark upgrading his gear. I don't think it has anything to do with the comics here and shining it on enemies. Most in the comics that signal was emitted from Spierman's belt..not his shooters. Honestly, on film...doing that would be lame. The Russo's in interviews have been hammering home the Spiderman/Tony connection and mentoring. I think this was part of showing the audience this wasn't a one and done and Tony who sees himself in Peter would continue to mentor him and call on him from time to time. However, the film clearly establishes Tony might do it sparingly as during the airport scene he told him to stand down.....

Best lines......."onesie" line from Tony. "Can you move your seat up" line and the one where Falcon and Bucky are on the floor webbed......"You couldn't have done that earlier" followed by "I hate you". Loved the Antman lines and Spiderman lines overall.

Yeah, I thought Paul Rudd has been criminally overlooked as Scott Lang. Perfect delivery, which you would expect from someone that does comedy so well. The whole Giant-Man thing was spectacular. His hero worship when he first meets Cap is great and something you would expect a "new" superhero to do when meeting him.

And like you, I was pleasantly surprised at how involved Sam Wilson was in the movie. I tend to always think of Falcon as the "token black guy" in the previous films, so it was nice for him to get a lot more to do and come up with most of the one-liner payoffs.

Also a big fan of Bucky. Even in Winter Soldier, I always saw him as "that actor from Gossip Girl", but in this movie, he finally got out of that shadow (in my mind) and embodied the character.

The Russos did a spectacular job of giving all the superhero characters something to do, and all that stuff was significant. Unlike in X-Men:Days of Future Past where characters are just in the background, and not just minor characters -- Storm is the first one that comes to mind.

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
I disagree about the villain being weak.

He basically tore apart the Avengers without ever laying a hand on them.
He wasn't a powerful fighter but his plans worked out pretty genius.
Loki's power came from the scepter and the mind stone which was given to him. Loki wasn't much of a physical fighter either.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Loki's power came from the scepter and the mind stone which was given to him. Loki wasn't much of a physical fighter either.

gotta agree here. and even more so, I don't think the villain needed to be THAT big of a villain in this one because the entire movie was really about the characters being at odds with each other.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

Agreed.

gotta agree here. and even more so, I don't think the villain needed to be THAT big of a villain in this one because the entire movie was really about the characters being at odds with each other.

Also a good point. I loved the villain and how he drove the plot.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score

For me the internal conflict with the Avengers is the only thing that saved having such a weak villain. The premise was very cool, having someone manipulate the Avengers to cause internal strife. The execution of the character was lame while castrating one of Marvel fan's most favorite villains in the universe. Crossbones (see spoiler) on top of that? I just wish Marvel would spend a little more time developing it's villains and giving them the same attention as they do the heroes in all these movies.

Just a minor complaint though...the rest of the movie was fantastic.

Last edited:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
For me the internal conflict with the Avengers is the only thing that saved having such a weak villain. The premise was very cool, having someone manipulate the Avengers to cause internal strife. The execution of the character was lame while castrating one of Marvel fan's most favorite villains in the universe. Throwing away another Marvel favorite for fodder? I just wish Marvel would spend a little more time developing it's villains and giving them the same attention as they do the heroes in all these movies.

Just a minor complaint though...the rest of the movie was fantastic.

Exactly. His plot was actually quite clever, but the character just wasn't interesting. I get having a clever plot to destroy the Avengers since he himself admitted he couldn't do it directly, but at least make the guy interesting. The thing about Loki is that he was interesting. You can't say that about Ronan, Zemo, even Ultron and the Mandolin. Heck, even Thanos at this point is incredibly boring. Menacing, sure, but boring since it's all supposed to be suspense until the next Avengers movies.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Exactly. His plot was actually quite clever, but the character just wasn't interesting. I get having a clever plot to destroy the Avengers since he himself admitted he couldn't do it directly, but at least make the guy interesting. The thing about Loki is that he was interesting. You can't say that about Ronan, Zemo, even Ultron and the Mandolin. Heck, even Thanos at this point is incredibly boring. Menacing, sure, but boring since it's all supposed to be suspense until the next Avengers movies.

Couldn't agree more. I guess though it speaks to how good these movies really are and how nit picky the complaint probably is. Marvel can still put out a great movie with a sub-par villain.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
one thing I was curious about....

was I the only one who thought this was by far the best cameo Stan Lee has done to date??

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

was I the only one who thought this was by far the best cameo Stan Lee has done to date??

Deadpool was easily his best, IMO.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Crap! Missed the second scene. Can you describe more.

I can!

It's Peter Parker being mothered over by Aunt May and her asking who hit him and he responds with something like "This real big guy". He then plays with his web shooters and the Spider Signal comes out and displays on his room and it fades to "Spiderman will return". Basically just more great Spidey stuff

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Deadpool is probably my favorite followed by Avengers: AOU. When he basically tells Thor ......please.....stop trying to scare us with your drink. Then he gets blitzed and they have to carry him out. Loved it. This one was great too though. Rhodey running with it was hilarious.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Deadpool is probably my favorite followed by Avengers: AOU. When he basically tells Thor ......please.....stop trying to scare us with your drink. Then he gets blitzed and they have to carry him out. Loved it. This one was great too though. Rhodey running with it was hilarious.

I haven't seen deadpool yet...let the ol'lady stall me into missing the theater run on that one...will be on dvd in a week or so.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For those not aware, the film side of the "Universe" has Ironman, Captain America, Thor, Incredible Hulk, Guardians of the Galaxy, and the Avengers, including all of their sequels of course.

Add Antman to that list, which was a really fun movie.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Question - how did Stark find out that Parker was Spidey? How did he make that connection?

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another question - Why was this movie titled Captain America, instead of Iron Man, Avengers, or even Marvel Universe?

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Another question - Why was this movie titled Captain America, instead of Iron Man, Avengers, or even Marvel Universe?

Captain America drove the story, and they won't call it the Avengers without Thor and Hulk.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

even for having so many avengers in the movie, the story was actually still pretty Cap-centric. It was the climax of his arc with Bucky, the emotional pull of all of his movies.

BillsCarnage

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Finally saw this today. Good movie. Black Panther and Spidey were awesome. I didn't like the Antman movie, but thought a much lesser dose of Antman was perfect for the MCU.

Overall, I'd probably put this as #4 in the MCU behind Guardians, Avengers1 and Iron man. Maybe Hulk, but only cause I'm a bit biased towards Hulk.

Anyone else wonder if there is a correlation between Buckys 'homecoming' and Spideys 'homecoming'? Homecoming was one of the words to activate the Winter soldier.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Finally saw this today. Good movie. Black Panther and Spidey were awesome. I didn't like the Antman movie, but thought a much lesser dose of Antman was perfect for the MCU.

Overall, I'd probably put this as #4 in the MCU behind Guardians, Avengers1 and Iron man. Maybe Hulk, but only cause I'm a bit biased towards Hulk.

Anyone else wonder if there is a correlation between Buckys 'homecoming' and Spideys 'homecoming'? Homecoming was one of the words to activate the Winter soldier.

there has to be some kind of correlation. Calling the first "new" Spiderman Spiderman: Homecoming just seems very odd if it has nothing to do with the word repeated ad naseum in the first movie he was in, even if it seemingly had nothing to do with him.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
there has to be some kind of correlation. Calling the first "new" Spiderman Spiderman: Homecoming just seems very odd if it has nothing to do with the word repeated ad naseum in the first movie he was in, even if it seemingly had nothing to do with him.

Yep, even though you have a point about Bucky not being a big draw I just read that same day speculation that he will in fact be in Spiderman as there is something related to his character in the story. Although...the problem with that is that Iron Man is confirmed for a Spiderman appearance and I can't seen him working with that character after what happened in Civil War.

However, I agree....it can't be coincidence. The MCU doesn't do anything by chance.

Last edited:

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Yep, even though you have a point about Bucky not being a big draw I just read that same day speculation that he will in fact be in Spiderman as there is something related to his character in the story. Although...the problem with that is that Iron Man is confirmed for a Spiderman appearance and I can't seen him working with that character after what happened in Civil War.

However, I agree....it can't be coincidence. The MCU doesn't do anything by chance.

If both Bucky and Ironman are in the new Spiderman, I would imagine Bucky would be an antagonist for most of it, with perhaps a denouement where he comes into the fold with Tony.