The NFL Draft Has Become...

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Slower than slow, unnecessarily way over-hyped and, ironically, not at all fan friendly. Real football fans want brisk action, not a tedious crawl of superfluous pageantry. And, of course, the other profound irony is Goodell (who thinks all the pageantry is just what fans want) getting roundly booed every time he goes to the podium, which is a disgrace to the spirit of the event and the league. And today he even goaded the fans. Ridiculous. The NBA Draft has it right---it's fast and furious. This NFL Draft has become a sure cure for insomnia.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I enjoy it.

I also stop watching the NBA Draft after the first 4 picks.

vince56

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I miss the Saturday/Sunday draft parties we used to throw.

Right, exactly! I don't even know when the 4th round starts today and I honestly don't care at this point. Bring rounds 1-3 back to Saturday, make it a fun 10 am PST event like it used to be and let me have another excuse for a BBQ party before the weather heats up again.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Their need to have every pick now announced by 'somebody' is really slowing down the whole thing and dang... Gale Sayers is one of the most inarticulate guys I have ever heard, I hope it was just his age lol

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Their need to have every pick now announced by 'somebody' is really slowing down the whole thing and dang... Gale Sayers is one of the most inarticulate guys I have ever heard, I hope it was just his age lol

the announcer are terrible,slowly to read

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
This event died the minute they decided to hold back the announcement of picks that were already in to give previous picks air time. I mean, three or four picks can be in, and they're not announcing them. Rubbish.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If we really want it to return to a faster format on the weekend the answer is simple....

stop watching it in prime time on Thursday and Friday nights. If ratings drop a lot, they will change the format.

Ed Burmila

Registered
Reaction score
I used to love it. Now I just wait for online alerts for our picks. The TV portion of it is unwatchable now. They ruined it.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
I used to love it. Now I just wait for online alerts for our picks. The TV portion of it is unwatchable now. They ruined it.

yep

the forced "now announcing the 124th pick for the Team X, please welcome Old Guy X, joined by the Local Flag Football team consisting of disadvantaged youths, and, domestic violence counselors who love the NFL........"

This thing takes forever

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
yep

the forced "now announcing the 124th pick for the Team X, please welcome Old Guy X, joined by the Local Flag Football team consisting of disadvantaged youths, and, domestic violence counselors who love the NFL........"

This thing takes forever

Wait, we also have to wait on the Jaguar mascot to fly in from above and for Jake Plummer to ski in for the Bronco selection... and hell, they require two people to say the pick with one introducing themselves and then introducing somebody else to make the announcement lol

perivolaki

perivolaki
Reaction score

I sat at the same table with Sayers at a Fiesta Bowl function years ago. He didn't say a word the whole time. Looked like he would rather be anywhere else than there. He is almost anti-social.

By contrast Tony Dorsett was also there and he was laughing, telling stories, and having his picture taken with the Fiesta Bowl attendants, of whom my daughter was one.

I'm surprised they even got him to announce anything at the draft.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Well isn't Rod Graves in Management in the NFL offices now? Hmmmm:D lol

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 142

CT Card Fan

Registered
Reaction score
Wait, we also have to wait on the Jaguar mascot to fly in from above and for Jake Plummer to ski in for the Bronco selection... and hell, they require two people to say the pick with one introducing themselves and then introducing somebody else to make the announcement lol

Skiing Jake was the Jump the Shark moment for me. But I should probably wait on that call because next year they might have someone literally jump a shark. Maybe to announce a Mia or Jax pick. Or SD.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the NFL persists with the current format, let's do round 1-2 on Thursday, rounds 3-4 on Friday and rounds 5-7 on Saturday. The first round should be shortened. It is way too long. Maybe having the second round on Thursday would help shorten it.

Like others, I liked the Saturday/Sunday format because it was a solid two days I could hunker down and enjoy the draft.

USAFMEDIC

Veteran
Reaction score
They are really trying to pump up a really average Rams team.

"Average" is being very generous... they have shredded their team. Lost half the defense they had, and now drafted a Hollywood QB who is trying to imitate Joe Namath. We will be welcoming him to the NFL in his backfield if he lasts that long.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Slower than slow, unnecessarily way over-hyped and, ironically, not at all fan friendly. Real football fans want brisk action, not a tedious crawl of superfluous pageantry. And, of course, the other profound irony is Goodell (who thinks all the pageantry is just what fans want) getting roundly booed every time he goes to the podium, which is a disgrace to the spirit of the event and the league. And today he even goaded the fans. Ridiculous. The NBA Draft has it right---it's fast and furious. This NFL Draft has become a sure cure for insomnia.

The cities, teams and fans attending would disagree with you. It's like Superbowl Light, and now it's looking like teams and cities will begin to bid on hosting...and they add what looks like a great fan experience.

I didn't hear Goodell get roundly booed every time he came to the podium...that seemed to go away...and I see nothing wrong with bringing out former players, armed forces, etc, to help announce picks.

pinetopred

Registered
Reaction score
This event died the minute they decided to hold back the announcement of picks that were already in to give previous picks air time. I mean, three or four picks can be in, and they're not announcing them. Rubbish.

Exactly

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Sorry, but this prime time draft thing is a fiasco.

Nobody wanted it, but the NFL gets more ad dollars during prime time weekday hours than weekend midday hours, so, that's it.

Screw the fans, steal the money. What they don't realize is that prime time television requires entertainment. And the draft is not entertaining. It's mildly interesting during the moments when your team picks, and that's it. It's perfect for a weekend barbeque.

Cheesewater

(ex-Uriah Heep)
Reaction score
"Average" is being very generous... they have shredded their team. Lost half the defense they had, and now drafted a Hollywood QB who is trying to imitate Joe Namath. We will be welcoming him to the NFL in his backfield if he lasts that long.

Nope.

USAFMEDIC

Veteran
Reaction score
And the fact that they announced picks from London, Mexico, an Air Force base, as well as a couple of old tired LA QBs surrounded by Minions and Marilyn Monroe, etc. It was a circus. I get the Make A Wish Foundation support and the military recognition, but it was way over the top.

Last edited:

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
It all seems like PR bull. Sympathy by parading out sickly kids, glorification with each team's Man of the Year, and patriotism with all the military flag waving, all to show how grand and wonderful the NFL and its players have been on the great American way of life. Why not bring out all the battered wives and gfs of the players? What about the suppliers of all those players who are into drugs, don't they deserve a mention? The gun and alcohol manufacturers deserve a moment in the spotlight too, don't they? And don't forget the brain surgeons who will attending to the majority of lifetime NFL players? They are all apart of NFL experience.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave