Suns sign Watson to 3 year deal

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
All the other candidates people have mentioned makes me say meh.

Watson did a good job and will be a good fit to continue developing a young team.

OP
OP
sunsfan88

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Not sure. If he is clearly the guy you want, there is really no point. Why waste your time pretending to evaluate others? Get him hired and get to work on the draft. This is a big summer for personnel, and there is alot of work to be done.

I just went through this at work. I spent last summer desperately trying to fill a job in my business. I finally found someone I thought would be good. We went 6 months and it was clear it was not working out. He resigned over Christmas and I found a substitute to fill the job until summer so I could look again.

Turns out the fill-in is doing fantastic. We talked about going through the process again this summer and making the present fill-in person one of the candidates. But after thinking about it, this person is doing everything we want and more. So we just extended a long-term contract. If I know in June what I already know about this employee, I would hire them in a flash. So there is no point in going through the process again.

Sounds like exactly the same situation.

You think Watson was "fantastic" for the Suns?

I don't think he did a bad job by any means considering how the active roster looked on most days but "fantastic"? Nope. Or maybe I just have a different meaning for that word.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some of my takes from the Suns Press Conference today:

1. The Suns did not interview any outside candidates, at least formally. I wish they had done some interviews.

2. Salary was reportedly not a consideration in who the Suns considered for a head coach. Maybe we will never know.

3. The players support was a significant factor in Watson getting the head coaching job. Booker, Knight, Teletovic and Price were at the press conference.

4. The Suns want to have a mix of young and veteran players.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Hopefully Watson can be more then just some internal hire we are settling for. He did show he had the team, and they played hard, so hopefully what looks sort of bad, turns out ok.

However lets be clear that the team was at rock bottom, we got rid of Morris, and he only coached the team for 33 games and a .272 winning percentage. Not really much time for players to turn on a coach.

I don't know why we didn't take more time. The draft isn't for another two months, and the season isn't for another 6+ months.

Just right now on ESPN the Warriors announced they would allow Luke Walton to interview with other teams.

Of course I know the likely sentiment around the league is that this isn't a good job, but it's an opportunity we'll never get a chance to try for with Walton now that we've hired Watson. Possibly we had discussions behind the scenes but from where we stand, we can't assume that.

A guy like Luke Walton or maybe someone else might help land some free agents.

Earl Watson I suspect will not help. Maybe help and not help is a bit off, maybe more like a free agent seeing a Walton might be more willing to be on board because it looks like a step in the right direction, whereas hiring internally just looks like more of the same.

One would think there would be hope we could of gotten Walton. Walton went to UofA, so he's lived in Arizona before, and Sarver's UofA connections might have helped woo him.

I know players supported Watson, but does that really matter when they likely would've supported Walton or some other high profile guy?

Does it really matter when many of these guys aren't going to be here in a year or two? Some think Knight might be trade bait and might hold back Booker. Teletovic and Price probably aren't long term answers. The bottom line is we're a bad team, and to get good, many of these guys are going to have to be shipped out, so I don't know why they're clinging to the players like him when even that might fade next year.

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
I don't understand what makes Walton a better coaching prospect than Watson. That he was the interim coach of a better team? What indication do we have that Walton can buildup a team? Or that he wants to?

Reports are that Watson was part of the FA recruiting effort that made a good impression on Aldridge so I also don't see that Watson as the coach hinders the FA possibilities.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hopefully Watson can be more then just some internal hire we are settling for. He did show he had the team, and they played hard, so hopefully what looks sort of bad, turns out ok.

However lets be clear that the team was at rock bottom, we got rid of Morris, and he only coached the team for 33 games and a .272 winning percentage. Not really much time for players to turn on a coach.

I don't know why we didn't take more time. The draft isn't for another two months, and the season isn't for another 6+ months.

Just right now on ESPN the Warriors announced they would allow Luke Walton to interview with other teams.

Of course I know the likely sentiment around the league is that this isn't a good job, but it's an opportunity we'll never get a chance to try for with Walton now that we've hired Watson. Possibly we had discussions behind the scenes but from where we stand, we can't assume that.

A guy like Luke Walton or maybe someone else might help land some free agents.

Earl Watson I suspect will not help. Maybe help and not help is a bit off, maybe more like a free agent seeing a Walton might be more willing to be on board because it looks like a step in the right direction, whereas hiring internally just looks like more of the same.

One would think there would be hope we could of gotten Walton. Walton went to UofA, so he's lived in Arizona before, and Sarver's UofA connections might have helped woo him.

I know players supported Watson, but does that really matter when they likely would've supported Walton or some other high profile guy?

Does it really matter when many of these guys aren't going to be here in a year or two? Some think Knight might be trade bait and might hold back Booker. Teletovic and Price probably aren't long term answers. The bottom line is we're a bad team, and to get good, many of these guys are going to have to be shipped out, so I don't know why they're clinging to the players like him when even that might fade next year.

The part of your post in bold bothers me the most. It almost seemed like the Suns rushed the hire and even the press conference today. It seemed like there were other factors involved that we are not aware.

Errntknght

Reaction score
I'm fine with Watson keeping the job. I don't expect him to be happy with having Knight running the team - in tandem with Bledsoe or any other way. He certainly should know what a capable PG looks like. The first test will be whether the Suns draft a point guard or acquire one some other way over the summer. I suppose it's possible that he can get Knight to at least act like a 'team first' player.

Another thing I'll be looking for is a first rate 'big man' coach - a good one at the very least. Chandler is beneficial, of course, but I'd like to see someone working with Len and Alan Williams every day. With Williams and Len rebounding and protecting the rim we could afford to have a scorer like TJ manning the SF slot, but they need to get their roles down pat. Len needs to learn to be a rhythm shooter for one thing - he throws up lots of bricks when he thinks too much. He's even worse when he thinks he has room for a dribble.

TJ is one of the reasons we need a 'pass first' PG, he's very good at finding openings but he needs to get the ball in a timely fashion. It wouldn't hurt Booker either though he's more capable of creating his own shot without help.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't understand what makes Walton a better coaching prospect than Watson. That he was the interim coach of a better team? What indication do we have that Walton can buildup a team? Or that he wants to?

Reports are that Watson was part of the FA recruiting effort that made a good impression on Aldridge so I also don't see that Watson as the coach hinders the FA possibilities.

This is true. Watson was a big part of the appeal for Alderidge. Generally speaking teammates over the years have though very highly of him and have always thought he would be a great head coach.

Maybe there are quality ex-teammates out there that could be an appeal.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
How many games will they win under Watson next season? My guess below:

You must be registered for see images attach
Seems very likely considering they went 9-15 to end the season despite the top 3 scorers being out...

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm fine with Watson keeping the job. I don't expect him to be happy with having Knight running the team - in tandem with Bledsoe or any other way. He certainly should know what a capable PG looks like. The first test will be whether the Suns draft a point guard or acquire one some other way over the summer. I suppose it's possible that he can get Knight to at least act like a 'team first' player.

Another thing I'll be looking for is a first rate 'big man' coach - a good one at the very least. Chandler is beneficial, of course, but I'd like to see someone working with Len and Alan Williams every day. With Williams and Len rebounding and protecting the rim we could afford to have a scorer like TJ manning the SF slot, but they need to get their roles down pat. Len needs to learn to be a rhythm shooter for one thing - he throws up lots of bricks when he thinks too much. He's even worse when he thinks he has room for a dribble.

TJ is one of the reasons we need a 'pass first' PG, he's very good at finding openings but he needs to get the ball in a timely fashion. It wouldn't hurt Booker either though he's more capable of creating his own shot without help.

Ben Simmons would really help in this department. I keep going back and forth between those two (Simmons and Ingram). If we are looking for a team fit, Simmons would be really good.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I will give him the benefit of the doubt. He probably is the best choice right now. I cannot imagine he is the best coach to take us to a championship.
While he obviously isn't proven in that way it is certainly possible that he will end up being a very good coach. Even championship coaches had to start somewhere and maybe Watson will be one of those guys in the future, but we won't know until he has a shot with a decent roster.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
You people who say "meh" make me laugh.

It is the same thing as sunsfn wanting the young guys to play as much as possible only to 2 weeks later complain about the young guys playing many minutes.

Signing Watson was the best move that the Suns could make and it shows that Sarver learned from rushing things and is ready to allow this young team to grow. Watson is the perfect man for the job.

By what measure? Because the team loves him? That's called letting the inmates run the asylum. Most are so young they don't know what to want. Chandlers opinion means something, but still only minimally. This isn't a scenario where a magic, Michael, Larry, or lebron loves a coach.

This is what we have:

Coached a depleted team to a putrid record

The players lobbied for him

He motivated them to play hard

He was willing to play the youngsters

I have no idea if he has actual coaching acumen beyond motivating players. We can't say we really saw anything special in the way of play design, etc

So . . . meh

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is what we have:

Coached a depleted team to a putrid record

The players lobbied for him

He motivated them to play hard

He was willing to play the youngsters

I have no idea if he has actual coaching acumen beyond motivating players. We can't say we really saw anything special in the way of play design, etc

So . . . meh

I agree but I would add that rarely a game went by when the broadcast group (ours or our opponents) failed to mention someone that knew Watson in the past and raved about him as a student of the game. Former coaches and former teammates talked regularly about him having a thinking man's approach to the game and the fact he was always learning about it. Maybe that means nothing in the long run but it sure sounds like he's more than just a motivator.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I agree but I would add that rarely a game went by when the broadcast group (ours or our opponents) failed to mention someone that knew Watson in the past and raved about him as a student of the game. Former coaches and former teammates talked regularly about him having a thinking man's approach to the game and the fact he was always learning about it. Maybe that means nothing in the long run but it sure sounds like he's more than just a motivator.

Well we can hope. The fact of the matter is that there really weren't any impressive candidates out there anyway imo, so might as well ride with the guy the inmates like. That's why this is "meh" and not "yuck."

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
If there is no truth to what Windhorst is saying, and Watson was our top candidate the whole time, why were there so many rumors connecting the Suns to other head coaching candidates?

Just for the record, I like the hire.

Last edited:

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well we can hope. The fact of the matter is that there really weren't any impressive candidates out there anyway imo, so might as well ride with the guy the inmates like. That's why this is "meh" and not "yuck."

Yeah, I'm not dancing but I'm not pissed either so at least there's that.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If there is no truth to what Windhorst is saying, and Watson was our top candidate the whole time, why were there so many rumors connecting the Suns to other head coaching candidates?

Just for the record, I like the hire.

There may well have been truth to what Windhorst was saying but there's little reason to believe he has any insight or inside information. And in the end, it matters little. There are far too few coaching jobs available for most of the serious candidates to turn their backs on any of them. Just look at Sacramento, coaches keep interviewing for that nutcase. Watson won over the team and that's a leg up on everyone else so the hiring makes sense whether we had limited options or not.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Although it is probably reaching, I can't help but wonder if another team started to show interest in Earl Watson as head coach. One only needs to look at the line of candidates interviewing for the Kings head coaching position. Maybe the Suns didn't want to go through this mess when they felt they had a viable candidate already on board. I think something initiated the quick hire.

See the ESPN article at the link below.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/1...iew-mark-jackson-vinny-del-negro-sam-mitchell

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
“I think Earl will be a powerful recruiter,” McDonough said. “He certainly did a great job with LaMarcus Aldridge, getting us very much in the mix for LaMarcus. I have no doubt that will continue, especially as head coach. I think he will have a lot of clout and hopefully help us land some elite free agents. “

This seemed like an interesting quote.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
“I think Earl will be a powerful recruiter,” McDonough said. “He certainly did a great job with LaMarcus Aldridge, getting us very much in the mix for LaMarcus. I have no doubt that will continue, especially as head coach. I think he will have a lot of clout and hopefully help us land some elite free agents. “

Maybe it's just me but I think those are the kind of things that even if true are better left unsaid. Answer it if asked directly but otherwise, talk about the real things that a coach is expected to do. Someone is likely to take that quote and suggest it means more than it does and that it implies a lack of skills in his primary area of responsibility.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Maybe it's just me but I think those are the kind of things that even if true are better left unsaid. Answer it if asked directly but otherwise, talk about the real things that a coach is expected to do. Someone is likely to take that quote and suggest it means more than it does and that it implies a lack of skills in his primary area of responsibility.
I disagree. Free agency is a very important tool for keeping a team competitive year in year out. Some teams attract free agents because of their talent, some because of the location, some because of the history of the franchise, and some because of the coach/system that is in place. If that was the first reason he stated for hiring him or one of only a couple reasons than it might seem like a desperate hire, but this was stated along with at least 2-3 other reasons for hiring him.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score

2nd place is the 1st loser. I take no gratification in the notion that we "almost" got Aldridge.

McD needs to prove he can lure in a big fish before he earns my respect.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Things Watson said in his interview that I find interesting.

Gambo asked about trying to work Bledsoe, Knight, and Booker into the roster. He said that before they were trying to play 3 pg's. They do not have that situation now. They have two pg's. Devin Booker is a shooting guard and NOT a pg. He was fairly emphatic.

Gambo asked about how he would convince a player like Knight to come off the bench. He said that it is his job to convince players that winning is more important that personal status and that the player has to do what is best for the team. He did not say that Knight will come off the bench, but he did not suggest that all three would start either.

OP
OP
sunsfan88

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Things Watson said in his interview that I find interesting.

Gambo asked about trying to work Bledsoe, Knight, and Booker into the roster. He said that before they were trying to play 3 pg's. They do not have that situation now. They have two pg's. Devin Booker is a shooting guard and NOT a pg. He was fairly emphatic.

Gambo asked about how he would convince a player like Knight to come off the bench. He said that it is his job to convince players that winning is more important that personal status and that the player has to do what is best for the team. He did not say that Knight will come off the bench, but he did not suggest that all three would start either.

So he admitted that Knight still thinks of himself as a PG even though he has zero PG ability?