Window 10 problems

az240zz

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I recently bought a used Dell XPS computer that was wiped and windows 10 installed. It also has windows 7 in a folder. I can't get the printer to work. It seams to not find the printer spooling. I tried some of the suggestions on the windows forum, especially about checking the LPD and the other L box, [i don't remember what its called], the computer went to file search, found the files and then started to install them but hung up and after 10 minutes I had to task manager them to stop.

The computer seems to not want to install anything. I have download a few manuals but it doesn't want to install them. It seems to hang up on the installation, again I have to force stop it.

I remember the po saying he had a hard time installing windows 10, I tried to download windows 10 and override his installation but it got hung up on searching for updated files.

Also when I go to control panel, check on device and printers the computer freezes. Task manager will shut it down, but it may take 2 tries to free up the computer.

Any suggestions as to what the problem could be??

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
Sounds like a driver issue maybe. What kind of printer is it? Did you go get the printer driver from the manufacturer or have windows update find it?
Uninstall anything related to the printer, un-plug printer, download driver from manufacturer website, install driver, reboot, plug in printer.

Also check in the device manager for hardware not installed correctly. It would have an exclamation mark next to it.

I have seen some problems with some Dell computers that originally came with Windows 7. Clean installs of Windows 10 don't install all the hardware. The best bet is a clean install of windows 7, make sure all hardware drivers are installed properly, and then upgrade the clean windows 7 to windows 10 and then install required programs.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What generally works is removing all drivers and software related to a printer. Make sure you download the latest drivers and go from there. Although I am a little suspect at some of the other issues you mentioned above with you saying it doesn't want to install anything. That doesn't point to a driver problem at all. That sounds more like a virus or malware.

I cleaned my son's Windows 10 machine recently of a virus that prevented him from going into Windows settings or any browser settings. I had to go into safe mode with networking and run antivirus to get rid of it. Sounds similar but not sure.

One other thought....did you use the Microsoft tool for Windows 10 compatibility? I currently have 4 devices running Windows 10 on Dell hardware with no issues.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

az240zz

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
What generally works is removing all drivers and software related to a printer. Make sure you download the latest drivers and go from there. Although I am a little suspect at some of the other issues you mentioned above with you saying it doesn't want to install anything. That doesn't point to a driver problem at all. That sounds more like a virus or malware.

I cleaned my son's Windows 10 machine recently of a virus that prevented him from going into Windows settings or any browser settings. I had to go into safe mode with networking and run antivirus to get rid of it. Sounds similar but not sure.

One other thought....did you use the Microsoft tool for Windows 10 compatibility? I currently have 4 devices running Windows 10 on Dell hardware with no issues.

I didn't install windows 10, the previous owner did. Its a canon mx880 series..

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't install windows 10, the previous owner did. Its a canon mx880 series..

It does have both a Windows 10 32 bit and 64 bit driver (depending on the version you have) so that shouldn't be the problem if you are using the right one.

I realize the previous owner loaded Windows 10 but do you know if they ran a check? Also, you may want to try to revert back to the previous version of Windows if your confident you don't have a virus/malware problem. There is a link here on how to do that:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/going-back-to-windows-7-or-windows-81

Here is the general Windows 10 help page if you need it:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/support#1TC=windows-10

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

az240zz

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Don't know if they ran a check. I just tried to uninstall the printer from device manager and it started to uninstall and then it just ran for 10 minutes. When I tried to x out of it the computer froze and I had to go thru task manger to end the task and free
up the computer.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't know if they ran a check. I just tried to uninstall the printer from device manager and it started to uninstall and then it just ran for 10 minutes. When I tried to x out of it the computer froze and I had to go thru task manger to end the task and free
up the computer.

I would try the above. However, you may want to rule out virus/malware first, run Dell Hardware diagnostic to rule out hardware issue and then try reverting back to old version of Windows.

OP
OP
A

az240zz

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I tried the reverting back but its beyond the 30 days allowed..

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I tried the reverting back but its beyond the 30 days allowed..

Crud. Have you ruled out virus/malware? Have you ran the Dell Diagnostic tool for hardware check? At least if you can rule those two things out....maybe you can get your hands on a Windows 7 disc.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
If you have one HD, and this is happening with pretty much everything, it could be a HD issue (not the printer stuff obviously).

I remember when one of my HD was going bad, it literally took a month of almost 24/7 data transfer just to get most of my stuff off that hard drive.

The printer issue just might indeed be a Win10 compatibility issue.

It could be a virus/malware as well. I'd say run some scans, of get some stuff like Malwarebytes Anti-malware free version and maybe something like a AVG antivirus programs. Both have free versions.

One way to see if it's a hard drive is to get a hard drive diagnostic tool. I suggest getting one like this one from seagate.

http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/item/seatools-win-master/

It doesn't say windows 10, so I don't know if it'll work. I just redownloaded it and ran it, and my stuff passed, but there were some errors with the program (saying it couldn't write a log, so I don't know if it's actually testing the drive under windows 10). They'll eventually update the program, but not yet.

So if not that one, then maybe some other one?

If you still have Win 7 folder, you might be able to restart in Win 7, and see if everything is fine.

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Someone just told me yesterday that she installed Windows 10 and it screwed everything up. She then took it back to the OfficeMax where she bought, who then proceeded to erase everything on the hard drive. :|

OP
OP
A

az240zz

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Ran the diagnostic tool and everything is running as it should. I didn't have the printer connected so it didn't check that.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ran the diagnostic tool and everything is running as it should. I didn't have the printer connected so it didn't check that.

Run a virus check. If that doesn't turn anything up I think reverting is the only option.

OP
OP
A

az240zz

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Ran Malwarebytes Anti-malware and it found 27 non virus problems, which were then quarantined. Went to device manager, tried to uninstall the printer and computer locked up.. This is getting frustrating...:)

OP
OP
A

az240zz

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
In the click-to run-application I found that student office 2010 download was 99% complete. How do I delete the download process and program? This shows as a window 7 program and isn't compatible with Windows 10. Student office shows up twice in programs. When I run uninstall it runs and runs but doesn't uninstall.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

az240zz

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Ok I tried restoring to a previous point to see of Windows 7 would come back but that was a no go. So I need to take it to a teck. Any recommendations for one in Glendale or North Phoenix..

OP
OP
A

az240zz

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Still haven't gotten the printer to work. Here is a copy of an error event:
Log Name: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-PnP/Configuration
Source: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-PnP
Date: 2/21/2016 11:01:01 AM
Event ID: 441
Task Category: None
Level: Error
Keywords:
User: SYSTEM
Computer: abbyrose1-PC
Description:
Device SWD\DAFWSDProvider\urn:uuid:00000000-0000-1000-8000-8887178925be/http://schemas.canon.com/Printer could not be migrated.

Last Device Instance Id: urn:uuid:1c852a4d-b800-1f08-abcd-28924a5b2b51\UMB\3&2A6226F0&0&HTTP://1C852A4D-B800-1F08-ABCD-28924A5B2B51/PRINTSERVICE
Class Guid: {c30ecea0-11ef-4ef9-b02e-6af81e6e65c0}
Location Path:
Migration Rank: 0xF000FFFF3801F130
Present: false
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-PnP" Guid="{9C205A39-1250-487D-ABD7-E831C6290539}" />
<EventID>441</EventID>
<Version>0</Version>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>0</Task>
<Opcode>0</Opcode>
<Keywords>0x4000000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2016-02-21T18:01:01.393499700Z" />
<EventRecordID>569</EventRecordID>
<Correlation />
<Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="7424" />
<Channel>Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-PnP/Configuration</Channel>
<Computer>abbyrose1-PC</Computer>
<Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data Name="DeviceInstanceId">SWD\DAFWSDProvider\urn:uuid:00000000-0000-1000-8000-8887178925be/http://schemas.canon.com/Printer</Data>
<Data Name="LastDeviceInstanceId">urn:uuid:1c852a4d-b800-1f08-abcd-28924a5b2b51\UMB\3&amp;2A6226F0&amp;0&amp;HTTP://1C852A4D-B800-1F08-ABCD-28924A5B2B51/PRINTSERVICE</Data>
<Data Name="ClassGuid">{C30ECEA0-11EF-4EF9-B02E-6AF81E6E65C0}</Data>
<Data Name="LocationPath">
</Data>
<Data Name="MigrationRank">0xf000ffff3801f130</Data>
<Data Name="Present">false</Data>
<Data Name="Status">0xc0000719</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
This appears to be a driver compatibility issue. I know Windows 10 had some issue with older devices. I see that several other people are having the same issue here:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...e/26877872-cfbc-4793-a10e-5791e8eb548f?auth=1

http://www.remotecentral.com/cgi-bin/mboard/complete/thread.cgi?5454,new

I believe that printer came out in 2010. You might be able to tweak it to get it to work but the printer I believe was manufacture over 6 years ago. It might be less problematic to find a deal on a new model and just go from there. I had an old printer with similar issues when I upgraded from Windows XP. Same scenario and I eventually tweaked my registry and could run it from my console but never was able to get it to work like it did under XP. I just finally broke down and went with a newer model.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

az240zz

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Well I finally got the printer to show on device manager and on devices and printers, when it doesn't freeze up. I still can't get pass the print spooler.

I also downloaded the latest driver from Cannon and installed it. It did show that it wasn't compatible with "10" but did fix it thru the troubleshooter. Unfortunately the fix didn't work.

By the way I did try to uninstall the printer but it wouldn't. The best I could do was disable it.

CFLredzoned

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I couldn't imagine buying a used computer and not reformatting the hard drive and reinstalling windows. it's the only way to know you're not trying to build on a shaky foundaton.

Edit:
Oops. My bad. For some reason, I thought that wasn't done. I'd still do it myself anyway though. I guess it depends on how much you trust the person that sold it to you. If it's a friend that you really trust, fine. But if it's a random purchase, I wouldn't trust that install.

Last edited: