Devin Booker = Franchise Player?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
His FG% is very worrying in the last 2 months.

He is basically living off of layups right now.

Also Booker has learned to get to the FT line when his outside shot is not falling. This is very encouraging for his long term ability to score.

I think Booker may be showing some signs of fatigue however I think part of it, he is playing both guard positions. Plus, he is taking a pounding by opposing defenses. When Bledsoe and Warren return for the Suns (plus who ever they add this summer) he should get less defensive pressure.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Man, these videos tend to ignore the problems that players have, but you can't help but be very impressed by Booker. Best potential draft pick we've had since Amare, IMO. Easily, and I don't think anyone comes close.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man, these videos tend to ignore the problems that players have, but you can't help but be very impressed by Booker. Best potential draft pick we've had since Amare, IMO. Easily, and I don't think anyone comes close.

Just imagine what he'll be when he adds some strength and develops that left hand. And he's very easy to like. I hope he can keep his head on straight when he finds the world at his feet. He has an infectious smile and the girls already go crazy over him. I suspect he's going to reach icon status very early in his career in much the same way Curry has. I'm not saying he'll be as good as Curry but as a Suns fan it's nice to think it could possibly happen.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
To me, his greatest area of improvement could be his defense. If he does well with progressing there, any offensive improvements will be a bonus.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Just imagine what he'll be when he adds some strength and develops that left hand. And he's very easy to like. I hope he can keep his head on straight when he finds the world at his feet. He has an infectious smile and the girls already go crazy over him. I suspect he's going to reach icon status very early in his career in much the same way Curry has. I'm not saying he'll be as good as Curry but as a Suns fan it's nice to think it could possibly happen.

Just as an aside. I think his left hand skills look great. In fact, I was watching some highlights of him and I thought, "Wait, is he left-handed" as he dribbled the ball all the way up the court with his left. Of course, I knew he was not but it took be aback for a second.

The thing that I am amazed at is that he seems to be able to improve aspects of his game at will. Kobe tells him to post-up, next game we see him posting up against smaller defenders and dominating.

He is just so smart.

I agree with Chap. D will be the key.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just as an aside. I think his left hand skills look great. In fact, I was watching some highlights of him and I thought, "Wait, is he left-handed" as he dribbled the ball all the way up the court with his left. Of course, I knew he was not but it took be aback for a second.

The thing that I am amazed at is that he seems to be able to improve aspects of his game at will. Kobe tells him to post-up, next game we see him posting up against smaller defenders and dominating.

He is just so smart.

I agree with Chap. D will be the key.

He dribbles with his left hand but I've seen him take the ball to the hoop with his right hand many times where a left handed shot made more sense.

As for defense, I think it's already showing signs of improvement. I didn't mention it before because the video I was responding to was just about offense. I know I've seen him make several strong defensive plays that seem to challenge the idea he lacks athleticism.

He has trouble staying with the smaller ball-handlers but who doesn't? And he gets outmuscled at times but I love the fact that even when someone gets physical with him he still competes. And while he clearly needs to add muscle, he already knows how to use the position of his body to augment his strength. All things considered, I have as much confidence in his ability to eventually be a good defender as I do in his offense. I'm confident he will become a good two way player. I'm hopeful he will become a great two way player.

As for his basketball IQ, I agree. Nash is probably the smartest ballplayer we've ever had but Booker isn't far behind and that's incredible given his age. I hope Bledsoe's ego (and Brandon's) can accept what we already know, this is Booker's team.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He dribbles with his left hand but I've seen him take the ball to the hoop with his right hand many times where a left handed shot made more sense.

As for defense, I think it's already showing signs of improvement. I didn't mention it before because the video I was responding to was just about offense. I know I've seen him make several strong defensive plays that seem to challenge the idea he lacks athleticism.

He has trouble staying with the smaller ball-handlers but who doesn't? And he gets outmuscled at times but I love the fact that even when someone gets physical with him he still competes. And while he clearly needs to add muscle, he already knows how to use the position of his body to augment his strength. All things considered, I have as much confidence in his ability to eventually be a good defender as I do in his offense. I'm confident he will become a good two way player. I'm hopeful he will become a great two way player.

As for his basketball IQ, I agree. Nash is probably the smartest ballplayer we've ever had but Booker isn't far behind and that's incredible given his age. I hope Bledsoe's ego (and Brandon's) can accept what we already know, this is Booker's team.

BTW. Remembering the Sunderella Suns, Paul Westphal might have been the smartest basketball player we ever had. But I agree about Nash and Booker.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
This kid alone turned what looked like a bleak future in Phoenix to a promising one.

I agree with Steve that he needs to add strength. And I actually think that will help improve his defense as well like Chap mentioned.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This kid alone turned what looked like a bleak future in Phoenix to a promising one.

I agree with Steve that he needs to add strength. And I actually think that will help improve his defense as well like Chap mentioned.

I think it will naturally happen as his body matures. But he is also on an NBA training schedule, so adding strength is virtually guaranteed.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
He has been moved down from 7 to 8 on NBA.com's rookie ladder. Now behind Turner, Winslow, Jokic, Okafor, Porzingins, Towns, and Russell.

That's ridiculous. I think he's a lock for the All-Rookie first team.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
That's ridiculous. I think he's a lock for the All-Rookie first team.

I saw he was #2 last week. Who cares what others think. My eyes tell me he is All NBA guy in next 3-4 years and top 10 player in time. What he is doing at 19 is borderline ridiculous and his ability to take to the hole and create are two areas I did not see him developing this year no matter how many minutes he got.

Havent been this excited for a young Suns player since Amare. Maybe Richard Dumas.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
I think it tilts SLIGHTLY in the Lakers favor simply because Clarkson has proven more then Warren and because Len is so injury prone. But even up talent for talent, it's super close.

Im drinking the Kool Aid for sure, but Booker is a future super star. I wouldnt trade him for all 3 of their guys.

Now lets get Brandon Ingram or Simmons and trade for Blake Griffin or Kevin Love and LEGGGGGO

hsandhu

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
If the draft was redone, town and porzingis go 1 and 2, each taking either slot.

Then booker and russell go 3 and 4, again either can go in each spot.

The idea turner, winslow and jokic are ahead of boker is laughable

Errntknght

Reaction score
I would expect Jokic (Center) to be taken ahead of Booker - he's shooting over .500, and shoots a few 3's at .377 clip, rebounds well (11.2/36) and dishes 3.8 assist/36 - he's only 21 and those are great numbers for a C that age.

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Centers always have the highest shooting percentage on the team. All their shots are 18 inches or less.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd take Booker second, even over Porzingis. But there are a couple of players I'd move above Russell.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Great discussion. It so good to see Suns fans excited about something again.

OP
OP
slinslin

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
I would expect Jokic (Center) to be taken ahead of Booker - he's shooting over .500, and shoots a few 3's at .377 clip, rebounds well (11.2/36) and dishes 3.8 assist/36 - he's only 21 and those are great numbers for a C that age.

Jokic was drafted in 2014.

OP
OP
slinslin

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
The guy who creates the nba.com rookie ladder is a fool. I think at this point he is putting down Booker out of spite because of the flag he is getting on twitter for that ranking.

Every week he points out what Booker did not do well, while having Russell at #4 although Russell is not shooting better on the season.

Yet when Booker has a great stretch like averaging 30 over 5 games this guy argues that his ranking is for the full year.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
If the draft was redone, town and porzingis go 1 and 2, each taking either slot.

Then booker and russell go 3 and 4, again either can go in each spot.

The idea turner, winslow and jokic are ahead of boker is laughable

I think Okafor's ahead of Russel.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose