Worst individual plays by Cardinal players throughout Cards History

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I barely follow the NFL, but I think I recognize that game. Isn't that the one that was followed by Green's epic press conference of "They are who we thought they were ... Crown their asses"?

Absolutely. One of the darkest days in Cardinal history.

NoelPHX

Space for Sale
Reaction score
2nd and 6 but if Francisco makes that tackle, they're still a mile away and forced to use their last timeout and under a minute left. But the worst part about that play other than Francisco playing like he was on roller skates was that Dockett was a whisker from sacking Ben.

Well, Terrell Pryor, Kaep, and Mariota all have runs over 85 yards now.

Not to make you feel worse but that miss was at 18 yards.

I don't blame him for this one. It was a 42 yard attempt, definitely not a gimmie, the kicking team was rushed onto the field, and the whole thing was rushed. Had the clocking the ball rule been in effect the outcome might have been different.

As for dumb plays, Dennis Green's play calling in the 2nd half of the Bears game is the stuff of legend, and not in a good way. The entire planet knew he was going to pound Edge inside trying not to lose. Then to top it all off, Scott Player kicks a returnable punt to Hester was the cherry on the sundae. Grossman couldn't move the ball all day. Player could have kicked that ball out of bounds Butler style and the game would have been over.

Another series of dumb plays. 1st and goal on the 2 yard line @ Philly then, well...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6W24vK_499M

Not for nothing but Chandler got in on the first lunge.

Today with replay Chandler would have got that TD.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
I do not know why I remember this one, but it was against the Rams, and Derek Anderson was the QB.

It was a 5 yard out to Larry Fitzgerald, clear sight line, no one between Anderson and Fitzgerald, and Anderson threw it in the dirt.

It would have been a 1st down, but in a season that was a horror show this summed it up.

I will never forget that play, because its a 5 yard out, with no one within 5 yards of Fitzgerald, and Anderson just has to get the ball anywhere near Fitzgerald.

Anyone, literally anyone could have completed that pass. You, me, a dog, seriously, worst thing I had ever seen from this team.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
that play was epic. we were literally handed a miracle win with the first fumble... and then gifted that miracle right back with our own fumble.

Warner threw a horrific interception from the 1 yard line to Dexter Coakley in that game too. If you watch it, you wonder how Warner missed seeing a guy 3 feet in front of him.

I believe after that game Denny Green pulled Warner for Matt Leinart. Rightfully so.

The next time we saw Warner he had gloves on and started his re-birth in Arizona.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
I could also just throw out some names and plays come to mind.

Terrance Holt - Missed tackles.

Eric Green - Grabbing the hammy after getting torched in coverage

Anthony Clement - Getting beat around the corner because he couldn't bend low enough.

Rob Housler - Dropped pass.

Andre Roberts - dropped pass.

Beanie Wells - Tripped up in the backfield.

Early Doucet - tripped on grass.

You must be registered for see images attach

Daryl Washington - ripped on grass. <-- Below is his legacy.
You must be registered for see images attach

Cardsfanstl

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
For me three come to mind.

1) Bono's 76 yrd bootleg TD run. How the hell does all 11 players get faked out on that one.

2) Grammatica tearing his knee celebrating a FG in the 1st qtr.

3) Steve Jones after catching a pass is running for a TD at Busch Stadium against the Cowgirls with nobody around him. Around the 5 yrd line the turf monster reared its ugly head and tripped him. His knee comes up to knock the ball loose and the Cowpukes recover in the endzone.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
1) Neil O'Shankohue missing 20 yard FG on last play in OT of 10-10 tie against Gmen. The reason I put him at the top is because he missed like 3 other gimmes.

2) Fransisco falling down on the last drive long completion to Holmes that allowed Stealers to go for the win

3) Grammatica tearing ACL while celebrating a FG in 1st qtr lol

4) Rackers missing a gimmie FG on the last play after Leinart lead them back for the biggest choke job I've ever witnessed in a Big Red game! They dominated the Super Bowl bound Bears.

5) O'Shankohue missing the last second FG in '84 against the Skins that would've won the NFC East. That Cards team was good enough to win the Super that year because nobody had an answer for Lomax to Green.

6) Big false starting with 10 secs against the Rams blowing another win with his chronic ineptitude.

7) Hiring Bud Wilkinson-really? That alone showed how clueless Bowtie was at running a football team.

I give Neil a pass on the '84 game, because it was a long field goal and he basically ran onto the field right into the kick because time was expiring... but I blame that game on a BS roughing the QB call on I believe EJ Junior if I remember correctly, that was the most unstoppable Cardinal offense I ever saw in the fourth quarter

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
3) Steve Jones after catching a pass is running for a TD at Busch Stadium against the Cowgirls with nobody around him. Around the 5 yrd line the turf monster reared its ugly head and tripped him. His knee comes up to knock the ball loose and the Cowpukes recover in the endzone.

I remember that! I think it was '78

Buckybird

Reaction score
I give Neil a pass on the '84 game, because it was a long field goal and he basically ran onto the field right into the kick because time was expiring... but I blame that game on a BS roughing the QB call on I believe EJ Junior if I remember correctly, that was the most unstoppable Cardinal offense I ever saw in the fourth quarter

That guy never gets a break IMO. He choked on a regular basis in the clutch & that was a potential turning point on that team that was pretty darn good. Hell he nearly choked that '84 game (26-24) against the Skins by missing 2 FGs & an extra point!

redheat

A real American hero
Reaction score
I don't know why I always remember this but JJ Arrington giving himself up instead of going for the first down against the Redskins.

OP
OP
SissyBoyFloyd

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score

Now this pretty much epitomizes the 20th century Cardinals. If one word in the dictionary could summarize the franchise it would be "Ineptitude". So sad and pathetic that it is nearly funny if you are a fan, and absolute hilarity if you are not a fan.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That guy never gets a break IMO. He choked on a regular basis in the clutch & that was a potential turning point on that team that was pretty darn good. Hell he nearly choked that '84 game (26-24) against the Skins by missing 2 FGs & an extra point!

1st game of the year he missed an extra point @ GB and we lost 24-23. Worst part of it was that he misses an extra point but makes a 48 yard FG later in the game.

Buckybird

Reaction score
1st game of the year he missed an extra point @ GB and we lost 24-23. Worst part of it was that he misses an extra point but makes a 48 yard FG later in the game.

Easily 1 of the worst kickers I've ever seen & that's saying something coming from a team that drafted Little & Lee in the 1st two rounds. :bang:

O'Shankoghue's inepeptitude is forever sealed in the NFL Films story on the Sucs with his swing & a miss attempt at kicking a bad snap on a FG out of bounds...as he busted his ass on the failed attempt lol

Really, what was a smart guy like Jim Hanifan thinking keeping him around for so long? :shrug:

http://youtu.be/gjKOu8QpI40

Lol:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

Last edited:

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Absolutely. One of the darkest days in Cardinal history.

As bad as we choked in that game--and we did--the refs still handed it to the Bears. How the Edge fumble was EVER a fumble and not blown dead ten seconds earlier is beyond me. I mean, yeah, when you gang attack someone for forever, long after forward progress was finished, and are allowed by the ref to rip at the ball forever, of course he'll eventually fumble. They simply swallowed the whistle on that one.

ANDY440

Registered
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Here is 15 minutes of random gut wrench from 1990. I'm sure I broke something around the house after this one.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited by a moderator:

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Easily 1 of the worst kickers I've ever seen & that's saying something coming from a team that drafted Little & Lee in the 1st two rounds. :bang:

O'Shankoghue's inepeptitude is forever sealed in the NFL Films story on the Sucs with his swing & a miss attempt at kicking a bad snap on a FG out of bounds...as he busted his ass on the failed attempt lol

Really, what was a smart guy like Jim Hanifan thinking keeping him around for so long? :shrug:

http://youtu.be/gjKOu8QpI40

Lol:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

Which should give one an indication of what a high scoring team the '84 Cardinals where that year since this kicker was leading the league in scoring even with the botched field goals :)

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Any time Kent graham was at qb or stoney case I think that was his name

I remember one gm Kent graham when I was younger the cards never made it past midfield against the Patriots lol

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is 15 minutes of random gut wrench from 1990. I'm sure I broke something around the house after this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emnneV-zprU

did anyone else, watch that, knowing what was going to happen while REMEMBERING EXACTLY how awful those fifteen minutes and feel like maybe... wait... something... ... something crazy... anything... something UNEXPLAINABLE...would change in those fifteen minutes so that, even against your wiser judgement, you believed that something, ANYTHING could happen to surprise you and the Cardinals DIDN'T lose that game?

Yeah... me neither.

This team gives me mental problems.

God bless them.

Reaction score
Just happened upon this gem - a very detailed graphical analysis of the Steve Bono 76 yard TD; a play that was even worse (as a Cardinals fan) than you remember!

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I do not know why I remember this one, but it was against the Rams, and Derek Anderson was the QB.

It was a 5 yard out to Larry Fitzgerald, clear sight line, no one between Anderson and Fitzgerald, and Anderson threw it in the dirt.

It would have been a 1st down, but in a season that was a horror show this summed it up.

I will never forget that play, because its a 5 yard out, with no one within 5 yards of Fitzgerald, and Anderson just has to get the ball anywhere near Fitzgerald.

Anyone, literally anyone could have completed that pass. You, me, a dog, seriously, worst thing I had ever seen from this team.
I remember another Anderson pass where he literally chucked the ball straight into our fullback’s b-hole. It was a perfect metaphor for that season. That may even have been All-Pro Anthony Sherman who was 1/2 of one of our top five worst trades of all time.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave