We got blown out in 2 of our last 3 games. Reason for concern?

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
A reason for concern ? Sure.

Am I actually concerned ? No.

The Seahawks game was far more concerning than the Panthers. The Panthers are a really good team, and they were a mismatch for the Cardinals.

The Seahawks was simple good Carson / bad Carson. Our team, regardless of when the games are played cannot be man handled by a division opponent like they were.

When the Seahawks shut down our run and utilized their defensive line over our over matched offsensive line it setup the game plan for teams to work off of.

Our highly touted secondary was torched by Seattle and again, in the same fashion against the Panthers.

What it comes down to ?

Either the quatrerback play has to be better, or the offensive line has to be improved. Don't get me wrong the Cardinals have a pretty good offensive line but its not good enough to allow Carson Palmer to be good enough to win against elite defensive teams.

On defense either the secondary has to improve in a few areas, or the pass rush has to improve. The secondary is pretty darn good, so it falls on the pass rush to improve. And that should not be too hard, because the pass rush is pretty awful.

The best news about all this ? It is the offseason and one would hope the team has the ability to fix and address these issues going forward.

1. Pass Rush
2. Cornerback
3. Inside Linebacker
4. Guard\Center
5. Defensive line

Top 5 needs for the offseason the way I see it. Some other great news, the team FINALLY gets to cut Daryl Washington as a post-June 1st cut, and save $4.5 million against the cap, and only $3 million in dead money.

That will help put resources together for a replacement.

CtCardinals78

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Cardinals have a first place schedule next year and play an emerging AFC East. If the last three games are any barometer for the 2016 season, than there is reason for concern. Be that as it may, I switched gears already and am looking forward to some March Madness in another 7 weeks.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
A reason for concern ? Sure.

Am I actually concerned ? No.

The Seahawks game was far more concerning than the Panthers. The Panthers are a really good team, and they were a mismatch for the Cardinals.

The Seahawks was simple good Carson / bad Carson. Our team, regardless of when the games are played cannot be man handled by a division opponent like they were.

When the Seahawks shut down our run and utilized their defensive line over our over matched offsensive line it setup the game plan for teams to work off of.

Our highly touted secondary was torched by Seattle and again, in the same fashion against the Panthers.

What it comes down to ?

Either the quatrerback play has to be better, or the offensive line has to be improved. Don't get me wrong the Cardinals have a pretty good offensive line but its not good enough to allow Carson Palmer to be good enough to win against elite defensive teams.

On defense either the secondary has to improve in a few areas, or the pass rush has to improve. The secondary is pretty darn good, so it falls on the pass rush to improve. And that should not be too hard, because the pass rush is pretty awful.

The best news about all this ? It is the offseason and one would hope the team has the ability to fix and address these issues going forward.

1. Pass Rush
2. Cornerback
3. Inside Linebacker
4. Guard\Center
5. Defensive line

Top 5 needs for the offseason the way I see it. Some other great news, the team FINALLY gets to cut Daryl Washington as a post-June 1st cut, and save $4.5 million against the cap, and only $3 million in dead money.

That will help put resources together for a replacement.

If we can come out of this offseason with three impact players for the defensive front 7, I will be really happy. That is really tough to do though.

All, over the past three games, I really noticed how bad our defensive line is. Campbell needs help, which I always thought but is still disappointing. Rucker is a great sub player, but not a starter. Mauro and Stinson are sub players only. I'm not sure Gunter developed at all, but he may still be able to.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The losses of Mattheiu, Okafor, and Redding really hurt. Depth on the d-line allows better play into the second half.

Did we ever get the story on Okafor.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
a) He hasn't played competitive football in two years
b) Even if reinstated, he still has another pending 2-6 game suspension
c) Can he be relied upon?

Regardless, as of right now we have no better option. These patchwork signings Keim has done only go so far. We can't rely on aging veterans. As for a 2-6 game suspension, I don't see how they can do that considering he's sat out 2 full seasons. Josh Gordon got less time.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The losses of Mattheiu, Okafor, and Redding really hurt. Depth on the d-line allows better play into the second half.

Did we ever get the story on Okafor.
This wasn't anything new. Our front 7 was a liability going into the season. I wonder what impact Peters might have had. Also, why didn't we at least bring DD in for a look-see? Is he that butt hurt over getting released or did he burn this bridge to the ground? I also think not resigning Dan Williams was a huge mistake as well.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
If we can come out of this offseason with three impact players for the defensive front 7, I will be really happy. That is really tough to do though.

All, over the past three games, I really noticed how bad our defensive line is. Campbell needs help, which I always thought but is still disappointing. Rucker is a great sub player, but not a starter. Mauro and Stinson are sub players only. I'm not sure Gunter developed at all, but he may still be able to.

I am hoping that coming off his injury, he can bounce back, but Cory Peters will be back next season, and that should help. I agree upgrading this team will help, but it will also be hard to do. Where the Cardinals need to upgrade is where a lot of teams need to upgrade.

pemory09

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Seattle beat us 36-6

Panthers beat us 49-15

Reason for concern?

Was the team just not prepared?

Is this on the coaching staff or the players?

Do we have the proper personnel to go to the big dance?

Tough to finish a season on such a low note after playing well for most of the season.

Gonna toss out an idea that's been on my mind since watching the Cards struggle to beat Green Bay in the divisional round: the players often describe the season (and this season in particular) as a grind. That got me thinking that perhaps they've been getting a bit too worn-down the past couple of seasons. I love B.A. and firmly believe he's one of the league's very best coaches, but perhaps he's pushing too hard? Reminds me of Rams players complaining about Dick Vermiel pushing them too hard in the late 90s; during the '99 season he took the pressure off a bit and, of course, the Rams won the SB. Naturally...adding Kurt Warner, Marshall Faulk, & Tory Holt to the roster had just a little something to do with that team's turnaround.

Regardless, my only concern with the Cards is that they've flamed-out the past two years. It was convenient to blame QB injuries in 2014, but it's now two years running that the club has demonstrated decreased production late in the year.

Thoughts?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am hoping that coming off his injury, he can bounce back, but Cory Peters will be back next season, and that should help. I agree upgrading this team will help, but it will also be hard to do. Where the Cardinals need to upgrade is where a lot of teams need to upgrade.

Cory Peters can never stay healthy. Depending on him to do so is folly.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Regardless, as of right now we have no better option. These patchwork signings Keim has done only go so far. We can't rely on aging veterans. As for a 2-6 game suspension, I don't see how they can do that considering he's sat out 2 full seasons. Josh Gordon got less time.

They can as it has been collectively bargained. Substance abuse and personal conduct are disciplined differently. Because he hasn't finished his indefinite SA suspension, they cannot and will not tack on the DV suspension until he is reinstated.

Availability > Ability. If D-Wash cannot stay on the field, how much of an asset can he be for this team?

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

He has yet to be punished for breaking his baby mama's collarbone in a domestic incident. That is kind of frowned upon. On top of that, we don't even know if he is clean from drug use yet. There are reasons he hasn't been reinstated.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose