A Clown's Analysis - Take it or Leave it

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Very interesting matchup this weekend.

Typically running QBs scare me. The Cards LBs aren't well-suited to chasing them. But imo it's because of their change of direction ability. The Wilsons and Kaepernicks of the world used to beat us outside of the pocket typically. Our LBs couldn't stay with them when they gave a little wiggle. Our LBs, even those with a modicum of speed (and there's not much of even that), have no lateral ability. So when Wilson/Kaepernick breaks containment it's all over for us. Big tracts of land.

But I'm not as worried about Cam. He's a different type of runner. Yes, he's fast. But his running is more power running. Less wiggle, more fullback. Our LBs are much better built to counter this type of run (okay, maybe not Deone - he may get trucked). But I don't see Cam having the types of runs that totally break down our defense. Will he get yards? Yes. But I don't see him as the type that breaks down our defense with the run. This makes our ability to play our base D, without gimmicks, much greater. Not as much necessity to spy him as a Wilson or kaepernick. And I think we do better against Cam in the zone read than we would against the quicker, more lateral, QBs. As a result, I think we may fare better against the run than may be expected.

Our Oline is going to have to play the game of their life. If they cannot at least somewhat stalemate the panthers dline we might be in trouble. The reason? The Carolina LBs are legit. I see people typing that we'll counter their front 7 with short passes and screens. These are exactly the type of plays the Panthers' LBs feast on. Keuchly is a machine, and makes the types of plays that you think cannot be made. Plays that you think are "safe" are not safe from him. And the rest of the LB crew is smart and fast. I think our "short" game is going to have difficulty. This may be the second game where DJ is not much of a factor, but has to be a very good decoy to at least attempt to take the LBs out of the intermediate and deep passing game.

But our oline has to buy palmer time. The deep throws take time to set up. Yes, our wr's should own that secondary (other than who Norman covers - and that will be key for Carson . . . identifying where Norman is (and Keuchly) on every plan). But their routes typically take time to develop. The oline has to buy carson time for the wr's to get to the second and third levels to create havoc. Can they do it? I believe after last Saturday's debacle they'll be more focused. They won't do it all game, but they've got to do it for consistent spurts to get us into the endzone. Make no mistake, Carson is going to take some punishment in this game. But he's done it before and come through for us. I see more of that.

Overall I think a lot of people are sleeping somewhat on Carolina. Saying they can't keep up with us scoring-wise. The truth is, they were the #1 scoring team in the NFL, with the largest margin of victory. They're playing at home. No matter how unimpressive their offensive playmakers seem to be, they keep showing up. The sum is greater than the value of their individual parts. Don't be surprised if their offense is more effective than you expect and you have trouble figuring out how they're moving the ball. It will likely revolve around Cam, but it won't be one particular receiver or Stewart going off (I think he's controllable-not shut down, but controllable- if our defense is focused).

It will also be interesting to see what they do with Norman. You would think that after last game they'd sick him on Larry. But Larry plays in the slot and Norman doesn't venture there. So do they go Floyd or Smoke? I'm guessing Floyd. This should allow Smoke to go over the top. I suspect we'll actually see quite a bit of keuchly in fitz's vicinity. And I don't necessarily see that as an AZ win (though I could be way off, and fitz could dominate).

As for our coverage team . . . PP has to just take Ginn away. I know Ginn isn't all-world, but he's their "KA-BOOM." Take away their homerun threat and they have to earn every yard, which makes for more plays in which they can screw it up, which means less scoring. I've seen some here pontificate on the virtues of PP on Olsen, and I've thought about that some. I don't think it's a good idea. First, the thought of relying on Bethel to defend the long ball scares the crap outta me. Second, I don't think PP would be physical enough with Olsen. And I think we need to be physical with him. Olsen got a stinger last week in the second half. The commentators were saying how he was back in the game, but not blocking. I make sure he never gets a clean release from the line. Have either a DE or OLB plow into him everytime the ball is snapped. Particularly from the first whistle. Make him uncomfortable. Then play regular defense against him.

Keys:

-No long ball to Ginn
-Stay disciplined in assignments with Cam and hit him hard every chance you get
-Play physical with Olsen the WHOLE GAME
-Protect Carson for the long ball
-Use Larry and DJ as decoys initially to suck LBs towards the first line, thereby hopefully opening up intermediate and deep routes
-Play good special teams for the first time all year.

splitsecond

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Pretty spot on. I would add that we need to abuse the slot like it we were named Charlie Sheen and it was made of a white powdery substance.

OP
OP
Ouchie-Z-Clown

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Good stuff... but there front 7 is certainly no better than the Rams.

Their dline, whike awesome, isn't the equivalent of the rams. But their LBs are much better. Much faster. Jeri holy alone makes a tremendous difference as he can be everwhere with his speed from the middle.

OP
OP
Ouchie-Z-Clown

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Pretty spot on. I would add that we need to abuse the slot like it we were named Charlie Sheen and it was made of a white powdery substance.

The slot worries me a bit due to keuchly's speed and playmaking.

By now everyone should be picking up in the fact that I'm actually scared of keuchly more than anyone else on the panthers.

splitsecond

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
In Madden with updated rosters the slot is softer than butter, and continually hitting the slot allows for setting up the run. So it must be scientifically correct right?

Keuchly is a scary SOB and I don't disagree with you, but he can't cover two people in the slot. I think pick routes and stack formations on the inside are the way to go to cause chaos around Keuchly, then hit whoever comes out of the fray cleanly in their route.

splitsecond

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
If I were a betting man my money would be on Riverboat Ron putting Norman on Floyd most of the game. Ron is smart enough to realize that no matter how quiet Floyd may appear in a game, that he has been the difference maker many, many times in tough matchups. I really hope this is the case because I think Floyd can get some on Norman the way he does on Sherman. And if that means that Finnegan is on Brown, that's even better.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Their dline, whike awesome, isn't the equivalent of the rams. But their LBs are much better. Much faster. Jeri holy alone makes a tremendous difference as he can be everwhere with his speed from the middle.

Definitely +1. Their LBs are the best in the NFL, and it isn't even close.

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Even though Newton is a different type of runner, when he gets outside on the option or broken play, it could spell disaster, same as it does with the Cards with Wilson.

Cardsmasochist

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
My concern is the condition of the field. The forecast calls for rain the days up to the game although it should be sunny on Sunday. It affected the Seahags. They were slipping a lot during the first half f last week's game against the Panthers.

The Cardinals will need the proper cleats to handle that turf.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Good analysis Ouchie. I think it would be wise to get the ball to Fitz early in the game to rev up the team. Let their defense know early that Fitz is going to be a difference maker in this game which will cause them to focus more on him and free up other playmakers. Fitz is the engine that makes this team go.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In Madden with updated rosters the slot is softer than butter, and continually hitting the slot allows for setting up the run. So it must be scientifically correct right?

Keuchly is a scary SOB and I don't disagree with you, but he can't cover two people in the slot. I think pick routes and stack formations on the inside are the way to go to cause chaos around Keuchly, then hit whoever comes out of the fray cleanly in their route.

The slot is always open in Madden

Iceman

Administrator
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great write up and if the Cards can do 3/4's of this, it should be a win. Cards O line has to be the most important IMO. If Palmer has a chance to throw, then we can put up points. Hope DJ can find a way to break off some big runs, so the offensive doesn't become one dimensional

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it's all about the oline. Keep Palmer clean and we win. If he is hit a lot, or has to escape, we are in trouble. Need time to make them pay with the multiple WR sets.

fatosber

Veteran
Reaction score
Awesome analysis. I agree with you and I think the biggest problem we have is named Olsen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
it's all about the oline. Keep Palmer clean and we win. If he is hit a lot, or has to escape, we are in trouble. Need time to make them pay with the multiple WR sets.

This... Everything else is a distant concern... Our o-line has to show up bigtime, period. They're gonna see talent, ferocity and scheming at a level they haven't all year. If Palmer has no time and if we're averaging 2.5 yards per carry on the ground - GAME OVER.

SO91

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
This... Everything else is a distant concern... Our o-line has to show up bigtime, period. They're gonna see talent, ferocity and scheming at a level they haven't all year. If Palmer has no time and if we're averaging 2.5 yards per carry on the ground - GAME OVER.

I agree on the O-Line being the most important aspect of this game, and they need to show up from the first snap, but I think the Rams D-Line is more talented and they see those guys twice a year.

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
Totally agree about the line. That is where we came out flat last week (until the second half at least).

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
By now everyone should be picking up in the fact that I'm actually scared of keuchly more than anyone else on the panthers.

+1

Great Analysis.

This game is going to be close if we win, and a blow out if we lost, IMO.

The Panthers are a really good team, and I think this is the one game between the Cardinals and the Lombardi that we would REALLY benefit from having the Honey Badger in.

Regardless, I hope and think it is going to be a great game regardless. Of course my heart wants the Cardinals to win.

But, in the end. This is what you want as a fan. This is what we have all asked for. A team that is so good that you end up playing against the best of the best at year's end.

You know why this game is scary ? Because it is the NFC Championship, and there is a reason why the teams get to this point.

Go Cardinals!

PS - What do lawyers know about football anyway ?

PSS - This thread is not complete without Cheesy chiming in. Just sayin'