AZ 38 GB 8 Thoughts

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
In the effort to embrace this week's challenges, BA and the coaches used the following as motivation this week:

* Next Man Up

Losing Tyrann Mathieu was very emotional for the team and the coaches to the point of BA welling up in his presser---but BA talked about how a number of his secondary players would be given specific roles this week:

(1) Justin Bethel would be playing more on the outside---which in this game meant playing the Packers' most productive WR, James Jones. BA's and James Bettcher's instructions were not to let Jones beat them deep---check. While Jones got the better of Bethel on the back shoulder throws and was the benefit of a holding and a PI call (on an uncatchable ball), Bethel intercepted Rodgers on a key red zone play when the score was 10-0 and later Bethel broke up a back shoulder attempt in the end zone, which showed that Bethel was adjusting and learning on the job---the interesting thing is---Bettcher never switched Peterson over to Jones, because Bettcher wanted Bethel to gain confidence.

(2) Jerraud Powers moved to the slot where he did a superb job on Randall Cobb, one of the better slot WRs in the NFL. Plus, Powers factored into the blitz schemes. Yes, he did go helmet to helmet on Rodgers, but Powers turned the corner so fast to get to Rodgers who was already being brought down, thus Powers didn't have to time to adjust his tackle angle. However, moments later Powers was in the right place at the right time to take one of the strip sacks of Rodgers to the house.

(3) Patrick Peterson was put on the WR opposite of Jones---which was usually either Davante Adams or Jared Abbrederis---and this forced Rodgers to focus on the other side of the field, save for a quick WR screen to Peterson's side, which Peterson blew up in textbook fashion, by bulldozing over Randall Cobb's block to then make a great standup tackle. In addition, Peterson made yet another nice tackle on special teams this week.

(4) D.J. Swearinger was inserted at FS in the place of Rashad Johnson, and made the most punishing tackle of the game on the very first play of the second half, as he ran the alley in a flash to meet James Starks as quickly as possible, then lowered his pad level to produce a jarring hit on the ball, which in turn flipped Starks over and caused the fumble that Jerraud Powers, embracing Honey Badger's Johnny-On-The-Spot role, scooped up and ran with.

(5) Chris Clemons, just re-signed this week, was assigned at times to cover TE Richard Rodgers, who has emerged as one of Aaron Rodgers' go-to receivers, and Clemons' coverage was tight.

* Create a Family Atmosphere During the Holidays:

Coaches always worry about breaks in routine, especially around the holidays. And sensing the team's disappointment about losing the Honey Badger to IR, BA invited the players' families to practice on Friday. The families were happy to be there and came out in full force and helped contribute to what was a very spirited practice.

* The Preparation For a Host of Packer Fans:

All week BA was harping and chirping on this. He was chastising AZ fans who had sold their tickets, and was imploring the fans to keep their tickets and to keep the Red Sea at high tide and the sound levels at the highest decibels. One can just imagine what BA was telling his players about having a host of Packer fans at this game. Just in case, BA and Carson Palmer were prepared to go into a silent snap count, if the Packers' fans were loud. How satisfying to was for BA and the team to be able to mute the Packer fans in the stadium and to provide for all the fans there a dominant performance. At BA's presser he quipped very wryly, "There were Packer fans there? I didn't hear any."

* In-Game Adjustments:

The Packers, despite not putting up the kind of offensive numbers they have been accustomed to in recent years, have won 10 games largely because their defense has been playing sound, physical football, especially up front with the imposing trio of DTs Mike Daniels, B.J. Raji and Datone Jones inside with Clay Matthews and Julius Peppers outside. Behind them is a young, but aggressive and physical secondary. Thus, in this game, it took some time for the Cardinals' offensive line to adapt to the Packers' strength and quickness in the middle. Both Ted Larsen and Mike Iupati got beat badly for sacks in the first quarter. Plus, it was some tough sledding between the tackles at times for David Johnson. So what did BA do? He realized the importance of giving Carson Palmer quick timing passes and in the spirit of that adjustment, BA turned David Johnson loose in the quick passing game to the tune of 88 yards in 4 catches.

BA, as we know, loves to take his deep shots, but in this game he took and exploited what the Packers' defense was giving him. Play after play in the second and third quarters, the ball was coming out of Carson Palmer's hand in well under three seconds.

One of the matches Palmer liked beside the matches he was getting on David Johnson was the matchup he was getting on Michael Floyd. Palmer loves the chemistry he as with Floyd and in this game it was one of the main reasons why Palmer was able to lead the team, following Justin Bethel's interception, which bailed Palmer out for the poor screen pass interception he threw to Mike Daniels, on an 80 yard TD drive with under a minute left.

The skinny post strike to Floyd over the middle for 40 plus yards put the offense in position to throw a few more quick passes into the red zone and then with Fitzgerald getting double attention in the middle of the goal-line in light of the nice earlier TD Palmer threw to him, Palmer sensed he could squeeze a quick slant throw outside of Fitz's double team in to Smokey Brown, who snatched the pass and then pinballed his way into the end zone.

In the second half, BA made a conscious effort to rest David Johnson in order to give Andre Ellington and Kerwynn Williams some carries and catches. Ellington looked fresh, as did Williams, who somewhat atoned for his fumble by adding some key third and long conversions late in the game when Drew Stanton was at QB.

On the defensive side of the ball, as I wrote in my post "The Cardinals' Evolution," James Bettcher tried to mix in some zone cover variations---once it burned them on a third and 18 when the safety was late covering the deep third. However, one of the more ingenious adjustments Bettcher made was playing Deone Bucannon in a dual role, one man zone in the middle, while those behind him played man-to-man. If no one became a receiving threat in his zone, Deone could spy Rodgers---but if one of their WRs or RB was shaking free over the middle Deone could pick him up, which is exactly what he did on Davante Adams on a key 3rd down pass breakup.

The preparation and man-to-man coverage by the secondary was so good that they repeatedly took away Rodgers' first option, which is what led to so many sacks, as the Cardinals' rushers were free to pin their ears back and tee off. Plus, Kevin Minter was given the green light to blitz if the RB stayed in to block, and one time when the RB released Minter was there to make an instant tackle.

On special teams, other than giving up a first down on the Packers' fake punt, the Cardinals got superb play from Justin Bethel, per usual, and Drew Butler had another nicely timed punt downed inside the five that Bethel and Brittan Golden made a nice play on. The Cardinals gunners were very good...one of the reason why they profited from a facemark holding call on punt that Peterson returned for 5 yards. Chandler Catanzaro was solid.

* Keeping a Close Watch on the Panthers' score:

BA used this as icing on the cake. Once the Falcons had posted the upset win, BA and the players were all the more motivated to make their move.

* Earning the Bye in Round 1 of the Playoffs:

As competitively as the Cardinals have played every game this year and with the chance to catch their breaths and build their strength for the playoffs, earning the bye was quite an impressive accomplishment. But, as BA has already said, "they don't give rings for byes." So, as the team prepares itself for the tournament, the players can look forward to having BA chewing out their butts for two weeks---with the intention---that he can hug them later.

Last edited:

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This BASK team is such a blast to watch and root for. Great personalities and people who are easy to root for.

BA is as smart as he thinks he is. :)

Jay Cardinal

Die Hard Cardinals Fan
Reaction score
Great post! My biggest takeaway from the game is how sore Aaron Rodgers must be today. Cards really got after him last night.

I was also really impressed with the secondary play.

Swearinger creates a very tough look with Buchannon, Minter and Jefferson. Each one is a punishing hitter, and I would not want to be a receiver going over the middle against that group!

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Kerwynn Williams had a very ugly fumble
Even protecting the ball with 2 arms ..he lost the football

Last edited:

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
Wow, ------ Just Wow Mitch!!!!!

I would rather read your review of a Cardinals game than any main line sports writer in the entire nation. Thanks for yet another great game review and analysis.

Iceman

Administrator
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Want to add, what a huge signing of Freeney! He and CC where beasts yesterday. 5.5 sacks between the 2 of them! Thats unheard of!!

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
:thumbup: Mitch

A special special season!!! This team is focused on 1 goal & truly believes in itself & acts the part while other teams are winning & flaunting their success. Palmer is on a mission :D

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

I would rather read your review of a Cardinals game than any main line sports writer in the entire nation. Thanks for yet another great game review and analysis.

I'd add, we anxiously await your assessment.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Great post! My biggest takeaway from the game is how sore Aaron Rodgers must be today. Cards really got after him last night.

I was also really impressed with the secondary play.

Swearinger creates a very tough look with Buchannon, Minter and Jefferson. Each one is a punishing hitter, and I would not want to be a receiver going over the middle against that group!

I was very surprised that once the Packers were down to their 4th and 5th tackles, that McCarthy kept Rodgers in the game as long as he did.

As for Swearinger---on the breakout run by Starks---if he hesitated one nano-second on that play, Starks could have planted his foot, made one cut and been off to the races.

Swearinger's play was a pro's pro type of play---his timing was superb and his tackle was textbook.

There are some fans who still believe the Cardinals will move Bucannon to safety---but that's not even a question in the coaches' minds. Bucannon is thriving in that role and he is only going to get better. Some seem to freak out the one time a game when he gets blocked by a guard---but---every ILB has trouble holding up physically to 320 pound guards---and the way the Cardinals' defense is designed, playing behind Calais Campbell, who commands a double team, Bucannon is freed up 95% of the time.

Redneck Voodoo

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Great read, Mitch.

...and on the subject of how many Packers fans were there: When the Cards were on defense they showed a pack of rabid Cards fans screaming their heads off and next to them were several Packers fans trying to out-scream them. My son laughed and said, "With enemies like that, who needs friends?" :D

Vermont Maverick

Registered
Reaction score
Great read, Mitch.

...and on the subject of how many Packers fans were there: When the Cards were on defense they showed a pack of rabid Cards fans screaming their heads off and next to them were several Packers fans trying to out-scream them. My son laughed and said, "With enemies like that, who needs friends?" :D

Ha. I saw that. They showed an end zone shot of some cards fans screaming for the D, next to a woman wearing a Rogers jersey, screaming for...I really don't know. It was awesome. Love your sons quote.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score

Many many thanks, Catfish. I had the luxury of having the day off, so I took my time on this one.

There was so much to relish about this game. So many aspects of it to savor. As Cardiac pointed out (thank you Cardiac!), the personalities on this team, starting with Mike Bidwill and Steve Keim and BA are so magnetic---it traces back to the recent personnel philosophy of drafting and signing team captain types and not just players of high quality, but people of high quality.

How about the quartet of Calais Campbell, Dwight Freeney, Frostee Rucker and Cory Redding? Every team would love to have their leadership in their locker room---and because of MB-SK-BA, the Cardinals have all four of them. Don't you just love it when Freeney keeps saying, "I was so happy when BA called me."

How about the recent draftees? Markus Golden epitomizes humbleness, tenacity and perseverance. Same with David Johnson. Same with Rodney Gunter (whom I thought had perhaps quite possibly his best game this week---I should have mentioned that in the main post). Same with J.J. Nelson. These are TEAM guys all the way.

Plus, MB-SK-BA are not afraid to give players like the Honey Badger, Chris Johnson and D.J. Swearinger second chances, because they believe they can bring out the best in the players' character. But---there is a considerable amount of homework that goes into these decisions. Wouldn't you like to know the players they did not decide to try to sign? And if they find that they made an error in judgment, as they did with Ted Ginn Jr., they are quick to move on.

The other thing that stands out is how much they still believe in players they had to cut at one or two points. How many players whom the Cardinals have cut or has on the PS at one time or another are on the roster or PS? Darren Fells, Brittan Golden, Kerwynn Williams, Xavier Williams, Corey White, Chris Clemons, Robert Hughes (PS) and Marion Grice (PS). Look at all the younger players they are keeping on the injured reserve (and thus have not opted to make injury/release settlements with):

35 Brooks, Cariel CB
83 Christian, Gerald TE
54 Demens, Kenny ILB
75 Fullington, John G
80 Momah, Ifeanyi TE
45 Person, Brandon S
49 Wagenmann, Zack OLB
67 Crisp, Rob T
86 Powell, Damond WR

What this all says---the Cardinals still believe in these guys and want to remain as loyal as they can to them. They treat them as part of the family.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
:thumbup: Mitch

A special special season!!! This team is focused on 1 goal & truly believes in itself & acts the part while other teams are winning & flaunting their success. Palmer is on a mission :D

So funny how Carson Palmer was out in pre-game running around in a makeshift bikini top and grass skirt for having lost the QB Toss this week. Bucky---these guys truly enjoy one another and they even enjoy "the preparation process." It's so easy to enjoy it with them, isn't it?

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Thanks for the shout out Mitch. Thing is you do the shopping and wrap the gift up so it looks amazing and I walk by, peel a sticker off and slap a bow on it and get some credit, seems a bit unfair. :)

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
the interesting thing is---Bettcher never switched Peterson over to Jones, because Bettcher wanted Bethel to gain confidence.
he did switch them for a couple plays in the series where Bethel made the 4th down stop near the goaline. He was covering Adams and PP was covering Jones.

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
I was very surprised that once the Packers were down to their 4th and 5th tackles, that McCarthy kept Rodgers in the game as long as he did.

As for Swearinger---on the breakout run by Starks---if he hesitated one nano-second on that play, Starks could have planted his foot, made one cut and been off to the races.

Swearinger's play was a pro's pro type of play---his timing was superb and his tackle was textbook.

There are some fans who still believe the Cardinals will move Bucannon to safety---but that's not even a question in the coaches' minds. Bucannon is thriving in that role and he is only going to get better. Some seem to freak out the one time a game when he gets blocked by a guard---but---every ILB has trouble holding up physically to 320 pound guards---and the way the Cardinals' defense is designed, playing behind Calais Campbell, who commands a double team, Bucannon is freed up 95% of the time.
:thumbup:
The flip side of that is when he shot the gap so fast the lineman couldn't get a hand on him before he was on the QB.

The Packers O-line had no chance against Campbell yesterday. He was destroying their blocking.

Great write up as usual.
Thanks Mitch

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score

I will now admit - happily so - that I was wrong about Deone playing in this role. I honestly felt, from the beginning, that he was inserted there ONLY because of the loss of DWASH and the gaping hole at LB we had.
However, watching the Vikes-Giants game last night, where the Giants use Landon Collins (who is slightly smaller than Bucannon) in similar fashion to Deone, it now seems clear that the Cards may very well have been ahead of the pack in terms of developing a new-age type Linebacker. Smaller, faster, but intensely physical. Able to go sideline to sideline. Able to rush the QB. Able to play well at the line of scrimmage. Able to cover TE's and RB's.

Deone, at least for me, has been a HUGE surprise. I thought for sure he was a gimmick and would not hold up all season long. The reality is he has absolutely thrived. He is a massive reason why our defense has played so well all year, and now is tied for 4th in terms of points allowed per game.

Yet another example of BASK being BASK... WOW! :thumbup:

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
he did switch them for a couple plays in the series where Bethel made the 4th down stop near the goaline. He was covering Adams and PP was covering Jones.

Excellent call---you might be absolutely correct---unless Bettcher had called a zone which coaches often do in goal-line situations---and judging from how Adams was sandwiched on that play it sure looked like zone. Regardless, that was another fabulous goal-line stand!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
:thumbup:
The flip side of that is when he shot the gap so fast the lineman couldn't get a hand on him before he was on the QB.

The Packers O-line had no chance against Campbell yesterday. He was destroying their blocking.

Great write up as usual.
Thanks Mitch

Yeah, Chaz---when Calais Campbell plays like he did yesterday, it gets the whole defense in the act. We can see why BA has been trying to nudge Calais to the next amplitude.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Thanks for the shout out Mitch. Thing is you do the shopping and wrap the gift up so it looks amazing and I walk by, peel a sticker off and slap a bow on it and get some credit, seems a bit unfair. :)

You deserve a ton of credit, my friend. Every week you make a number of outstanding points. So keep slapping your bows everywhere and anywhere you can!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson