Morris Trade Options?

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'd prefer him gone at the moment, but firing Hornacek seems virtually inevitable, if a reasonable Markieff trade cannot be found at the moment then I'd like to at least get a peak at how me may perform under a different HC.

I doubt it will matter and that any improvement will likely be temporary, just as I suspect when he does get traded he will play well for a while and then revert to being himself, but if we're going to can Hornacek then we might as well let someone else try to get through to him.

Last edited:

Catlover

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I don't understand how fans can not want a trade for a guy who is purposely dogging it out there to get off the team.

I watch every game and I just don't see him dogging it. But he's played very poorly this season and I won't be upset in the least if we trade him. I see no reason to just give him away though unless Management thinks it's necessary. I think, when he's playing well, he's a below average stretch 4 and a slightly above average traditional power forward. Neither description excites me especially since we use him in his weaker guise, that of a stretch 4.

Unlike many here, I don't despise Markieff. But I'm not a Markieff fan either, I'm a Suns fan. I want them to do whatever needs to be done to help the team. Even if it means trading Bledsoe, Len, Booker or Warren - the only players I actually do like on this underperforming team.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I think it was warranted even if he didn't intend to hit Jeff. His behavior has been questionable at times and even throwing a towel in the vicinity of the coach is still rude and insubordinate. But it wasn't quite the crime it's being made out to be, players have done far worse.
Nevertheless, Kieff doesn't want to be here and it shows.

That's the danger of hiring twins who live together and handle their finances together. It is not going to be pretty when you trade one of them or cut the playing time of one of them. The Front Office should have anticipated the consequences.

The sooner they put an end to the whole episode, the better it will be for the Suns and its fans.

OP
OP
SweetD

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
I would be interested to see if we can get Myles Turner from Pacers. This is the guy I wanted to draft, but just like ever year the player got picked right before our pick.

He is injured, but would come cheaper than Boogie and be a better fit.

Something Like:
PHX Trades
Tucker (Pacers), Morris (Pelc), plus picks (Pacers)

Gets:
T. Evens (Pelc), Turner (Pacers), Hill (Pacers)

Pacers Trade:
Hill (PHX), Turner (PHX), Christmas (Pel), Buninger (Pel),

Get:
R. Anderson(Pelc), Tucker (PHX), PHX picks

Pelc Trade:
Anderson (Pacers),

Get:
Morris (PHX), Christmas (Pel), Buninger (Pel)

Why PHX gets young backup PF (Tuner), SF (Evans), Hill (backup SF/PF). Pacers get PF, that fits new system, SF to help Def. and picks to build on, plus move Chases contract. Pel get a PF that can shoot from mid range and pair with Davis for years on a good contract. Chas to add depth at SF and unload Evans contract.

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It sounds like a few of us agree it would be good to see what a new coach could do with the Suns before trades begin, including Markieff. The Suns cleaned house last season and it didn't work. IMO, it's time to look at the coach before making player changes again. I've thought for awhile that Markieff and Hornacek clash... not making excuses for Markieff's behavior. However, I would like to see what the Suns look like under a proven coach.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It sounds like a few of us agree it would be good to see what a new coach could do with the Suns before trades begin, including Markieff. The Suns cleaned house last season and it didn't work. IMO, it's time to look at the coach before making player changes again. I've thought for awhile that Markieff and Hornacek clash... not making excuses for Markieff's behavior. However, I would like to see what the Suns look like under a proven coach.

Bring back D'Antoni.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
He will get a chance to see what he can do as a lead assistant with the 76ers. There is not much downside.

Interestingly enough, his first game as associate head coach begins today in Phoenix I believe.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interestingly enough, his first game as associate head coach begins today in Phoenix I believe.

It should be interesting although the 76ers are not going to improve as a team overnight.

What I think more about is Ish Smith. Is he going to torch the Suns with his running and penetration to the rim.

sly fly

Devil Me This
Reaction score
And my understanding is that he didn't throw a towel in the face of our coach, he threw a towel to the floor and later was surprised to learn it hit his coach on the leg. Much different than the Marcus or Horry incidents. Has anyone here seen evidence of or heard a report that varies from this description?

Not true. Bald-faced lie from Keef. He got in Hornacek's face for about a minute near the end of the scorer's table. He deliberately threw the towel at Hornacek when he walked away. He then slowly walked towards the bench, sat down, and looked around the crowd to see if anyone reacted. Unfortunately and amazingly it doesn't appear many saw it or were too distracted by 1) the video board 2) their phones 3) match.com dates sitting next to them. 4) all of the above.

Hornacek picked up the towel disgusted and pissed and chucked it back.

Archie picked up the towel and tried to keep things very calm. Archie even tried to keep Keef from going anywhere near the huddle on next dead ball.

Entire season, Keef has been nowhere near the huddle during time outs unless he's in the game. End of bench. Has no clue what's going on and doesn't care.

On a side note: Hornacek is too good for a majority of these players. I'm a huge Horny fan, but also realize this team has checked him out... aside from Ronnie Price and maybe Chandler.

Hornacek is a teacher. Most NBA players don't want to be taught... especially during games. He's not the coach that will be feared. He's definitely better off coaching high school or college... and I think we'll see that sooner than later.

It's possible Hornacek could fit in with an NBA team that knew how to back-cut, slip off picks, runs plays, play D for 48 minutes... just make smart plays. Unfortunately, this team has a bunch of 20-26 year olds that didn't get enough coaching in college. It's not a good fit.

Then you have Luke Walton that was playing pick-up ball a few months ago, and all of a sudden he's a hot coaching commodity. The NBA has some phenomenal great young minds (Brad Stevens, Derek Fisher, Jason Kidd, Mike Budenholzer, Billy Donovan, etc)... but it largely doesn't matter. It's a players league, always has, always will.

Catlover

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Not true. Bald-faced lie from Keef. He got in Hornacek's face for about a minute near the end of the scorer's table. He deliberately threw the towel at Hornacek when he walked away. He then slowly walked towards the bench, sat down, and looked around the crowd to see if anyone reacted. Unfortunately and amazingly it doesn't appear many saw it or were too distracted by 1) the video board 2) their phones 3) match.com dates sitting next to them. 4) all of the above.

Archie picked up the towel and tried to keep things very calm. Archie even tried to keep Keef from going anywhere near the huddle on next dead ball.

Entire season, Keef has been nowhere near the huddle during time outs unless he's in the game. End of bench. Has no clue what's going on and doesn't care.

Interesting. But it isn't just Markieff and Archie that are saying there was no intent (with the towel), I've also read similar statements from other attendees. They either had a much different angle than you or they interpreted it differently. I saw nothing on the broadcast so I have no clue how it actually went down.

As for the huddles, I've seen several players far from the huddle, especially those that weren't likely to play. Is he like this every game, even when he's part of the rotation? When they show him on camera he's usually interacting positively with the other players but I'll admit, the few times they've shown him with Jeff he's looked detached at best.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

On a side note: Hornacek is too good for a majority of these players. I'm a huge Horny fan, but also realize this team has checked him out... aside from Ronnie Price and maybe Chandler.

Hornacek is a teacher. Most NBA players don't want to be taught... especially during games. He's not the coach that will be feared. He's definitely better off coaching high school or college... and I think we'll see that sooner than later.

It's possible Hornacek could fit in with an NBA team that knew how to back-cut, slip off picks, runs plays, play D for 48 minutes... just make smart plays. Unfortunately, this team has a bunch of 20-26 year olds that didn't get enough coaching in college. It's not a good fit.

Then you have Luke Walton that was playing pick-up ball a few months ago, and all of a sudden he's a hot coaching commodity. The NBA has some phenomenal great young minds (Brad Stevens, Derek Fisher, Jason Kidd, Mike Budenholzer, Billy Donovan, etc)... but it largely doesn't matter. It's a players league, always has, always will.

You seem to know a lot of details about the towel incident which I and perhaps others do not know about. Did you witness it or is there a video to be seen? I would like to watch it if there is one to be found. From what I have read, Archie Goodwin is friends with Markieff and that may explain why he tried to keep the matter from escalating.

sly fly

Devil Me This
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm at majority of games. Row 2 behind Suns bench.

Keef missed a 15 footer. Hornacek called for Leuer to replace him. No dead ball for around 3 minutes. Time Out. Players head back to the court. Keef thinks he's still in.

I actually told my wife to keep an eye on Keef right when Leuer got off bench.

Hornacek / Keef have words. Gets heated. Hornacek said something like "looks like you don't want to even play". Keef purposely threw towel. Hornacek was fighting mad.

Bad bad bad situation. Entire bench was solemn, quiet.

Listen. I don't think Keef is a bad guy. He's just an entitled, immature, oversized kid. He hasn't grown up yet. The light will eventually turn on for him. Not in Phoenix, though.

Our fault for paying outrageous $ for tix and gear.

I've convinced myself that bad NBA basketball is better than no NBA basketball.

Catlover

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

Keef missed a 15 footer. Hornacek called for Leuer to replace him. No dead ball for around 3 minutes. Time Out. Players head back to the court. Keef thinks he's still in.

Hornacek / Keef have words. Gets heated. Hornacek said something like "looks like you don't want to even play". Keef purposely threw towel. Hornacek was fighting mad.

Listen. I don't think Keef is a bad guy. He's just an entitled, immature, oversized kid. He hasn't grown up yet. The light will eventually turn on for him. Not in Phoenix, though.

Thanks for the insight. I agree with you about Keef, he isn't evil but he's been his own worst enemy. And the refs hate him which reduces his value even more. I've never seen a player more closely scrutinized by refs than Markieff and if the stripes can avoid making a call in his favor they are quick to do it.

I know Blazer and Piston fans felt the same with Rasheed Wallace but outside looking in it always seemed he got a lot of good breaks from the refs too. Not so for Markieff. I say all of that not to defend him but to add to why I'd like to see him elsewhere. I just hate the idea of having to do it at a discount. But from what you've said here, it sounds like it's necessary even if has to be at a loss.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score

That's probably the single-best summation of this dumpster-fire I have yet to see... :thumbup:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the insight. I agree with you about Keef, he isn't evil but he's been his own worst enemy.

this 6'9 guy and his 6'9 brother jumped so poor dude and kicked the crap out of him. He's a bad guy. Period.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It would be great if you could post more. Your seating puts you into an advantageous position to give other posters more insight.

Catlover

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
this 6'9 guy and his 6'9 brother jumped so poor dude and kicked the crap out of him. He's a bad guy. Period.

This 6'9 guy reportedly did nothing other than keep others from filming the incident. And there was history with the "victim" and from what I've read, the other guy is nowhere near squeaky. I'm not sure in what way they were defending their mother but that's how the FOE camp always paints it. Nothing in that incident makes them the good guys but until we actually know what truly happened I think it's premature to play judge and jury.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

I saw someone confirm this version as well on Twitter that night itself.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
It would be great if you could post more. Your seating puts you into an advantageous position to give other posters more insight.

Was thinking the same thing. I would love to get his thoughts on how players respond to Hornacek in the huddle, body languages of the players etc.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Glad that's what it looks like to you at the games because that's what it looks like to me watching the games on tv as well.

Partly why it was somewhat surprising for me to hear McD's comments on Kieff

Morris is missing today’s game against his hometown team. He averaged 19.5 points on 59.1 percent shooting in games against the Sixers last season.

If you ask his teammates about him, they’ll tell you he’s been in, he’s been working hard, he’s been professional, he does what he is supposed to do in the weight room, on the practice court and with the assistant coaches,” Suns General Manager Ryan McDonough said. “Obviously, he hasn’t played as well this year as he has the past couple years. But you could say that about a few guys on our team. I haven’t seen disruptive behavior. He isn’t trying to be difficult from what I’ve seen. He just hasn’t played well and he let his emotions get the best of him (Wednesday night) and his emotions boiled over.”

http://www.azcentral.com/story/spor...e-day-orange-slices-76ers-suns-7-pm/77923600/

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Glad that's what it looks like to you at the games because that's what it looks like to me watching the games on tv as well.

Partly why it was somewhat surprising for me to hear McD's comments on Kieff
McDonough is trying to trade him, so it's really not surprising if he puts a positive spin on Markieff's behavior.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
"It's self-explanatory," Marcus Morris told the Detroit Free Press. "You see what's going on. Sorry to say it, but it's self-explanatory.

"I don't know what's going on over there. It's like a (clown) show right now."

Marcus has been open with his disdain of the Suns organization since he was traded.

"One thing about Keef is he's always positive," Marcus told the Free Press. "Some stuff might happen a little, but he's always positive. He's still looking to get out of there, still looking to go somewhere else. Right now he has to be a pro and continue to take care of his business on and off the court."

"It's not like he's going to read this and say my brother gave me some advice," Marcus told the Free Press. "We talk every day. He knows what's best for him. We all know what's best for him, and what's best for him is to continue to be professional and continue to work hard on his game.

"I know he's doing that day in, day out — regardless of the suspension and what's going on. He's a hard worker, and so he will continue to be ready when his number's called. If he gets traded, he'll be able to contribute to any team in the league."
http://www.azcentral.com/story/spor.../?hootPostID=8a5c4c7efd424013c6a68d75e79c0354

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
His value is nil at this point. Not much to do about it. There is no point in giving up assets to get rid of him. They have plenty of cap room anyway. Also, no point in rewarding him with a buyout.

McD and company have to keep focused on what is best for the Phoenix Suns. Its hard to do in this situation.

What a mess.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
His value is nil at this point. Not much to do about it. There is no point in giving up assets to get rid of him. They have plenty of cap room anyway. Also, no point in rewarding him with a buyout.

McD and company have to keep focused on what is best for the Phoenix Suns. Its hard to do in this situation.

What a mess.
PHX cannot keep him on the roster unless Hornacek is gone. You can't do what he did to a coach and forget that happened, especially when it was done in public.

You don't keep a cancer around...you cut it out. Maybe PHX and God willing HOU are still waiting for Jan 15 to complete a deal.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave