D'Backs trade for Shelby Miller

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Dansby was tough to give up but Isan Diaz looks like the SS of the future. This kid is going to be a stud.

sundevil04

AZ Cardinals Mortgage Guy
Reaction score
So with

Greinke
Miller
Corbin

as the 1, 2, 3

and

Bradley
Shipley
De La Rosa
Anderson
Godley
Chacin

to fill the 4 & 5, what do we do with the remaining 4 SP's?

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I would rather have Mike Leake and my farm system in tact.

I wouldn't. Leake is barely above replacement level and will command significantly more money than Miller over the next 3 years.

You might be able to sell me on not making the Miller move in favor of a different free agent or no move at all, but not Leake.

splitsecond

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Leake to me is the same guy we have been hoping will do better every year for the past I don't know how many years now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score

It's not even close either. I was on board for getting Miller if the price was right but Stewart just doesn't realize when to hang up.

It's really amazing that Jon Hart got all this for essentially Jason Heyward who is a FA right now lol.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
Going for it while Goldy is in his prime and Greinke is still dealing. 3-4 year window. Dealing prospects that may or may not arrive to the Show in that time is no big loss.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
I love this deal. Shelby is a legitimate #2 who isn't making a ton of money and we have control of him for three years. Leake is going to make close to 100 million and isn't as good. We gave up 2 good players in Ender and Swanson but we have others at those positions that are just as good if not better and we only gave up one of our top pitching prospects.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score

This team is pushing all of its chips in for a World Series in 2016 and/or 2017. Even w/o Dansby, the farm system is fine.

It's possible that in 5-6 years, this team regresses exponentially, but I'd rather have a championship now. I'm glad TLR and co. are being aggressive.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
If Bradley can pitch like he did pre facial injury, this is one of the best rotations in baseball. Team is not messing around.

The only thing keeping us from being a playoff contender is a bullpen with a steady closer.

This...;)

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Dude lost 17 games last season, while pitching more than 200 innings with an era just above 3 and a WHIP of 1.25. Wow... Not sure I've ever seen that type of line before.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
I love this deal. Shelby is a legitimate #2 who isn't making a ton of money and we have control of him for three years. Leake is going to make close to 100 million and isn't as good. We gave up 2 good players in Ender and Swanson but we have others at those positions that are just as good if not better and we only gave up one of our top pitching prospects.

This is why the Dbacks had to pay so high for Miller. He's a legit #2 AND has a reasonable salary. For a smaller market team that just signed a guy to the biggest contract in the history of the world that is huge. Teams don't trade young reasonably priced quality players unless they get the farm.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Dude lost 17 games last season, while pitching more than 200 innings with an era just above 3 and a WHIP of 1.25. Wow... Not sure I've ever seen that type of line before.

Shows Why wins and losses is the most overrated stat in the MLB.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
So with

Greinke
Miller
Corbin

as the 1, 2, 3

and

Bradley
Shipley
De La Rosa
Anderson
Godley
Chacin

to fill the 4 & 5, what do we do with the remaining 4 SP's?

They either go to the bullpen or get traded for relief pitching. This staff still needs some fine tuning.

Assface

Like a boss
Supporting Member
Reaction score

His team averaged just 2.64 runs in those starts.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
I wouldn't. Leake is barely above replacement level and will command significantly more money than Miller over the next 3 years.

You might be able to sell me on not making the Miller move in favor of a different free agent or no move at all, but not Leake.

Exactly. You get 3-4 years of Miller at around 30 million, whereas Leake will get at least double that.

Further, we have a ton of players/prospects at infield/outfield - we needed another top starter and got it. Sure, we're less sure of what will be around in 5 years, but that is a long time from now.

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score

Agreed.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
This is why the Dbacks had to pay so high for Miller. He's a legit #2 AND has a reasonable salary. For a smaller market team that just signed a guy to the biggest contract in the history of the world that is huge. Teams don't trade young reasonably priced quality players unless they get the farm.

I feel like people are somewhat overrating Miller. He's a 3 WAR player with a less than stellar WHIP and a worse K/BB than Corbin and has played in a pitcher-friendly ballpark most of his career. On the road away from Atlanta and St Louis he's been much worse.

We have to hope he improves by 1-2 WAR. Maybe TLF and Duncan saw something that can improve on.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The asking price on Jose Fernandez is known to be sky-high, but reports tonight in the wake of the D-backs’ Shelby Miller blockbuster further illustrate the unlikely nature of a Fernandez trade. According to Clark Spencer of the Miami Herald, the Marlins were working on a trade with the Diamondbacks that would’ve included Patrick Corbin and Dansby Swanson in talks for Fernandez (Twitter link). Beyond that already-steep starting point, the Marlins asked that three other prospects be included in the deal, he adds.

Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic tweets that the package the D-backs sent to Atlanta to pry Miller away — Swanson, Ender Inciarte and Aaron Blair — “would not have come close” to what the team would’ve needed to acquire Fernandez from Miami, citing D-backs officials.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2015/12/jose-fernandez-trade-marlins-asking-price.html

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Actually more to the point I have never seen an organization trade their #1 and #3 prospect. To get only a decent #2 starter seems like we grossly overpaid.

Will be interesting to see where the team is in 4 years after having no first round pick 3 years in a row.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I feel like people are somewhat overrating Miller. He's a 3 WAR player with a less than stellar WHIP and a worse K/BB than Corbin and has played in a pitcher-friendly ballpark most of his career. On the road away from Atlanta and St Louis he's been much worse.

We have to hope he improves by 1-2 WAR. Maybe TLF and Duncan saw something that can improve on.

This is what I see with Miller as well. Hopefully I am wrong.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ESPN Murdering us

Braves Rob Arizona Diamondbacks in Shelby Miller Trade

http://espn.go.com/blog/sweetspot/post/_/id/66936/braves-rob-diamondbacks-in-shelby-miller-trade

How good is he? His command remains shaky enough -- he ranked 64th among 79 qualified starters in walk rate -- to prevent him from being considered a No. 1 or No. 2 starter at the moment. He has consistently outperformed his FIP, perhaps due to a real ability to induce soft contact (he ranked 17th among qualified starters in a stat called "Well-Hit Average," which is the percentage of balls viewed as hard hit.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think it's fair to question the value swap here but to question if this makes us immediately better is nuts. We have OFs coming out the ear, a ton of depth there. On the pitching side everyone in the rotation (except Greinke obviously) gets bumped down a peg and some guy who likely would put up an ERA near 5 gets knocked out of the rotation entirely.

Our rotational match ups should be much more favorable (its surprising how deep into the season front end rotation pitchers matchup with each other), we drop a likely below replacement pitcher to the pen (or minors), for a high quality starter. I think the OF offensive production will be a wash, but the fielding will suffer (although not at a fielding intensive position).

I think in 3-4 years there is a good chance that our statistical return on this trade will not measure up to what we lost but in the meantime we're trying to build a team that can win a WS and I think with Miller's cost/risk equation is better than the other options on the table.

In a vacuum I'd take Fernandez but by all accounts he'd cost 9 arms and 6 legs. Also, while I don't question Jose's chops as a legit ace I just looked up his career splits and HOLY SMOKES!!! A near 2.5 ERA gap in home, where he is undefeated (seriously) and virtually untouchable, and away. The guy is a stud but obviously enjoys his home cooking and playing in front of the Marlins 17 fans.

It will be interesting to see what happens with the Japanese guy, he is the wild card. If he ends up going at an affordable rate and pitches well that's the Miller alternative that will bum me out.

And I'm very glad we're not going to be the team who gets duped into giving Leake some ridiculous contract. And if they were serious about spending the kind of money Leake was going to require that means we still might have another big move left in us, via signing another free agent or having the financial flexibility to swing a trade down the road.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Actually more to the point I have never seen an organization trade their #1 and #3 prospect. To get only a decent #2 starter seems like we grossly overpaid.

Will be interesting to see where the team is in 4 years after having no first round pick 3 years in a row.

Here is a list that shows all the Diamondbacks first-round picks. It definitely is hit and miss.
http://espn.go.com/mlb/draft/history/_/team/ari

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
I think it's fair to question the value swap here but to question if this makes us immediately better is nuts. We have OFs coming out the ear, a ton of depth there. On the pitching side everyone in the rotation (except Greinke obviously) gets bumped down a peg and some guy who likely would put up an ERA near 5 gets knocked out of the rotation entirely.

Our rotational match ups should be much more favorable (its surprising how deep into the season front end rotation pitchers matchup with each other), we drop a likely below replacement pitcher to the pen (or minors), for a high quality starter. I think the OF offensive production will be a wash, but the fielding will suffer (although not at a fielding intensive position).

I think in 3-4 years there is a good chance that our statistical return on this trade will not measure up to what we lost but in the meantime we're trying to build a team that can win a WS and I think with Miller's cost/risk equation is better than the other options on the table.

In a vacuum I'd take Fernandez but by all accounts he'd cost 9 arms and 6 legs. Also, while I don't question Jose's chops as a legit ace I just looked up his career splits and HOLY SMOKES!!! A near 2.5 ERA gap in home, where he is undefeated (seriously) and virtually untouchable, and away. The guy is a stud but obviously enjoys his home cooking and playing in front of the Marlins 17 fans.

It will be interesting to see what happens with the Japanese guy, he is the wild card. If he ends up going at an affordable rate and pitches well that's the Miller alternative that will bum me out.

And I'm very glad we're not going to be the team who gets duped into giving Leake some ridiculous contract. And if they were serious about spending the kind of money Leake was going to require that means we still might have another big move left in us, via signing another free agent or having the financial flexibility to swing a trade down the road.

Completely agree. The team is 100% all-in on winning a championship as soon as possible. To do that, you have to be aggressive and it can typically involve coughing up talent and/or prospects.
Swanson, although a number 1 pick, hadn't done anything yet to get anyone too excited (but of course he did take a ball to the face)... The team did well in getting Ender into the trade instead of AJ. It's a no-brainier which of those two was the proper trade piece.
We'll see what future moves are made to further strengthen our farm system. But for now, no dumping a 5 year/$75 million contract on Leake and instead grabbing Miller in what I view as a reasonable trade all works for me!
I really like the composition of this team... With the two exceptions being Tomas and our closer situation.
Tomas REALLY needs to come into spring training in great shape and with great determination.
I would much prefer a better deep ball threat in right field, but may Yasmani can improve on that area...ideally putting up 20-25 dingers.
Just not sure what the plan is for our closer situation...