Every Cardinals passing TD surrendered

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Since I had a little bit of time and it's been a discussion point, I thought I'd look at the data and see what I could find out about who's been (primarily) responsible for each of the Cards' 17 touchdowns surrendered this season:

v. NO - Brandon Coleman 12 yard pass from Drew Brees - Matthieu in off-man coverage misses a tackle on the sideline
@ Chi - Jay Bellamy 48 yard pass from Jay Cutler - The Chicago All-22 coverage on this is terrible — both from the sideline and behind the line. I can say that it's not Matthieu, because he's locked up on a guy on the inside. There's a miscommunication between Peterson and someone where the slot guy gets a free release.
v. STL - Tavon Austin 12 yard pass from Nick Foles - Jerroud Powers gives Austin inside leverage and never stands a chance.
v. STL - Stedman Bailey 18 yard pass from Nick Foles - Potentially a hole in the zone; great play design. Bailey runs a great post. Powers has outside coverage but bites on a short zone. Bailey ends up running away from Matthieu, who's looking in the backfield.
v. STL - Tavon Austin 12 yard pass from Nick Foles - Powers in trail technique gets caught.
@ DET - Theo Riddick 6 yard pass from Matthew Stafford - Zone coverage between Bucannon and Matthieu. Bucannon gets caught inside, giving Riddick room to make the play. Mattieu flies it to make a big hit.
@ DET - Lance Moore 13 yard pass from Dan Orlovsky - Matthieu falls down/gets pushed on a hard outside cut by Moore in garbage time. Orlovsky has four seconds to throw the pass.
@ PIT - Martavis Bryant 8 yard pass from Landry Jones - Tony Jefferson gets run away from on an out-breaking route
@ PIT - Martavis Bryant 88 yard pass from Landry Jones - Lots of failures on this play. Matthieu is on coverage vs. Bryant at the LOS, and Rashard Jefferson gets juked absolutely out of his jock when Bryant reverses field.
v. BAL - Kyle Juszczyk 1 yard pass from Joe Flacco - Deone Bucannon gets absolutely turned around/sucked in on play action. Just lets the fullback run right by him
@ CLE - Brian Hartline 10 yard pass from Josh McCown - Matthieu gives up inside leverage, and Rashard Johnson doesn't get a deep enough drop to help out.
@ CLE - Gary Barnidge 3 yard pass from Josh McCown - Tony Jefferson has no chance.
@ CLE - Brian Hartline 2 yard pass from Josh McCown - Justin Bethel just gets beat across the middle.
@ SEA - Doug Baldwin 32 yard pass from Russell Wilson - Jerroud Powers just gets beat guessing/juked on a move on a really subtle stop-and-go.
CIN - Tyler Eifert 3 yard pass from Andy Dalton - Tony Jefferson gets beat on one of those "a great pass always beats great coverage" situations. Incredible catch.
CIN - Tyler Eifert 10 yard pass from Andy Dalton - Jerraud Powers gets beat on an inside move (he had outside leverage); Tony Jefferson can't deliver the blow to break up the reception.
@ SF - Vance McDonald 8 yard pass from Blaine Gabbert - McDonald comes across the field with no one trailing him. Rashard Johnson's the closest one there, and raises his hands like "WTF happened!?" It's not clear whether Matthieu or Minter failed to pick up McDonald when he came into the pattern late.

By my count, Honey Badger's mistakes directly contributed to 3 TDs this year, and he was involved to some extent on another 4. Not exactly a liability on coverage.

And I don't think that this necessarily is a hit piece on Johnson, Powers or Jefferson. Someone has to give up a passing TD at some point. The only ones that looked really bad are noted.

One other thing: (not to jinx it) Do you notice that one of the Cards' other really good defensive backs doesn't appear anywhere on this list? :stick:

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Since I had a little bit of time and it's been a discussion point, I thought I'd look at the data and see what I could find out about who's been (primarily) responsible for each of the Cards' 17 touchdowns surrendered this season:

v. NO - Brandon Coleman 12 yard pass from Drew Brees - Matthieu in off-man coverage misses a tackle on the sideline
@ Chi - Jay Bellamy 48 yard pass from Jay Cutler - The Chicago All-22 coverage on this is terrible — both from the sideline and behind the line. I can say that it's not Matthieu, because he's locked up on a guy on the inside. There's a miscommunication between Peterson and someone where the slot guy gets a free release.
v. STL - Tavon Austin 12 yard pass from Nick Foles - Jerroud Powers gives Austin inside leverage and never stands a chance.
v. STL - Stedman Bailey 18 yard pass from Nick Foles - Potentially a hole in the zone; great play design. Bailey runs a great post. Powers has outside coverage but bites on a short zone. Bailey ends up running away from Matthieu, who's looking in the backfield.
v. STL - Tavon Austin 12 yard pass from Nick Foles - Powers in trail technique gets caught.
@ DET - Theo Riddick 6 yard pass from Matthew Stafford - Zone coverage between Bucannon and Matthieu. Bucannon gets caught inside, giving Riddick room to make the play. Mattieu flies it to make a big hit.
@ DET - Lance Moore 13 yard pass from Dan Orlovsky - Matthieu falls down/gets pushed on a hard outside cut by Moore in garbage time. Orlovsky has four seconds to throw the pass.
@ PIT - Martavis Bryant 8 yard pass from Landry Jones - Tony Jefferson gets run away from on an out-breaking route
@ PIT - Martavis Bryant 88 yard pass from Landry Jones - Lots of failures on this play. Matthieu is on coverage vs. Bryant at the LOS, and Rashard Jefferson gets juked absolutely out of his jock when Bryant reverses field.
v. BAL - Kyle Juszczyk 1 yard pass from Joe Flacco - Deone Bucannon gets absolutely turned around/sucked in on play action. Just lets the fullback run right by him
@ CLE - Brian Hartline 10 yard pass from Josh McCown - Matthieu gives up inside leverage, and Rashard Johnson doesn't get a deep enough drop to help out.
@ CLE - Gary Barnidge 3 yard pass from Josh McCown - Tony Jefferson has no chance.
@ CLE - Brian Hartline 2 yard pass from Josh McCown - Justin Bethel just gets beat across the middle.
@ SEA - Doug Baldwin 32 yard pass from Russell Wilson - Jerroud Powers just gets beat guessing/juked on a move on a really subtle stop-and-go.
CIN - Tyler Eifert 3 yard pass from Andy Dalton - Tony Jefferson gets beat on one of those "a great pass always beats great coverage" situations. Incredible catch.
CIN - Tyler Eifert 10 yard pass from Andy Dalton - Jerraud Powers gets beat on an inside move (he had outside leverage); Tony Jefferson can't deliver the blow to break up the reception.
@ SF - Vance McDonald 8 yard pass from Blaine Gabbert - McDonald comes across the field with no one trailing him. Rashard Johnson's the closest one there, and raises his hands like "WTF happened!?" It's not clear whether Matthieu or Minter failed to pick up McDonald when he came into the pattern late.

By my count, Honey Badger's mistakes directly contributed to 3 TDs this year, and he was involved to some extent on another 4. Not exactly a liability on coverage.

And I don't think that this necessarily is a hit piece on Johnson, Powers or Jefferson. Someone has to give up a passing TD at some point. The only ones that looked really bad are noted.

One other thing: (not to jinx it) Do you notice that one of the Cards' other really good defensive backs doesn't appear anywhere on this list? :stick:

Justin Bethel? :D

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
pretty sure Badger claimed the SF Vance McDonald TD as his fault

doesnt change the overall assessment

the two games that bug me are CLE and STL 1--

all six of those TDs came on third down-- hold them to 50% and the Cards are 10-1 right now

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
pretty sure Badger claimed the SF Vance McDonald TD as his fault

doesnt change the overall assessment

the two games that bug me are CLE and STL 1--

all six of those TDs came on third down-- hold them to 50% and the Cards are 10-1 right now

#firstworldproblems

Believe I am pissed too about both Pitt and STL. Games I feel we completly outplayed them and lost. But we are sitting pretty. 9-2 is nice.

SECTION 11

vibraslap
Reaction score
Some time ago, on a keyboard far, far away, I stated that K9 was the best writer on the Cards. Even in a part time capacity (I'm assuming you do other stuff like walk around, eat, or perhaps whistle or something), it's still true.
There. I have posted, which means the Cards Might lose. I will now go back in hiding.
Adios amigos, goodbye my friends. Hasta la vista, until we meet again.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some time ago, on a keyboard far, far away, I stated that K9 was the best writer on the Cards. Even in a part time capacity (I'm assuming you do other stuff like walk around, eat, or perhaps whistle or something), it's still true.
There. I have posted, which means the Cards Might lose. I will now go back in hiding.

:thud:

Thanks for stopping by !!

:thumbup:

SECTION 11

vibraslap
Reaction score
Great now I can't figure out how to log out from my phone. It 404s me. We are screwed. Somebody kick me off of here l!!

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
Great job, K-9

What a really nice piece of work to give us. Thanks for sharing.

NashDishesDimes

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Yep, thanks for sharing. It definitely looks like had we kept Cro, that would have really helped. Also agree with the other poster that these are #firstworldproblems

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yep, thanks for sharing. It definitely looks like had we kept Cro, that would have really helped. Also agree with the other poster that these are #firstworldproblems

You realize he has been absolutely horrible this year, right?

Ohcrap75

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Thanks for the great breakdown K9... What's everyone's overall assessment of Bethel at CB this year? Is he a legit starter on the outside going forward?

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You realize who play opposite of him, right? They are going to throw his way more times than not. Lets see how he looks now that Revis "is on the island".

Um, okay?

If he's struggling(big time this year) against your typical WR2s & WR3s, what makes you think think he'll handle WR1s?

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score

You must be registered for see images attach

BACK IN YOUR CAGE!

LOL, j/k. I hope all is well S11.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I'm guessing you mean Pat P but he is listed as a potential screw up with a miscommunication issue. Main point would be that he hasn't been physically beaten for a TD all year. :stick:

Great write up and I have been wondering out loud how may TD's HB has given up so thank you very much for the info.

As a team we are tied for 11th place for # of passing TD's allowed so our DB's are doing a pretty good job, especially considering our lack of pass rush. The no fly zone still lags behind the legion of boom since they are tied for 1st place with 11 pass TD's allowed.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

K9 is right a lot more than he is wrong as far as the Cardinals are concerned.