Spy

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Was it? Can you compare the hilarities to another older comedy?

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I thought the movie was a classic action-comedy in the same vein as, say, Beverly Hills Cop II and a lot of the strong 80s action-comedy classics.

I actually surprisingly loved it -- all the acting was great, especially McCarthy and Jason Statham, who was a completely batsh** crazy agent. It's like Monk with a license to kill. (BIG kudos to whoever gets that reference--and no, it's not a reference to Tony Shalhoub)

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought the movie was a classic action-comedy in the same vein as, say, Beverly Hills Cop II and a lot of the strong 80s action-comedy classics.

I actually surprisingly loved it -- all the acting was great, especially McCarthy and Jason Statham, who was a completely batsh** crazy agent. It's like Monk with a license to kill. (BIG kudos to whoever gets that reference--and no, it's not a reference to Tony Shalhoub)

I absolutely cannot stand McCarthy, but maybe I'll Netflix this someday to see Statham's character...

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I absolutely cannot stand McCarthy, but maybe I'll Netflix this someday to see Statham's character...

She's not playing a white trash horrible person in this one--she's actually pretty sympathetic and realistic--that is, as realistic a spy analyst played by her can actually be. She did seem to realize the absurdity of the situations she was in, and did a good job at showing some of the fear that comes with being a part of something so dangerous. But it is a comedy after all... :)

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I thought she was hilarious in Bridesmaids. Almost stole the show.

I agree and it's not her fault she got typecast to play that same character over and over again following that film. She got paid and now maybe she's ready to do more. She's a really sweet and normal woman character on Mike and Molly. Witty but not vulgar. I dont want to see the crass vulger MM anymore tho I agree, and Im glad to hear that's not what we get in this movie. I'm going to see it.

I thought she was very good in St. Vincent and it was a risk because that character wasn't just a jolly happy likable person she had flaws but it was a single mother struggling to get by, I thought she did a good job.

Last edited:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Totally agree. Could not figure out for the life of me why people were going crazy for that movie.

I suppose it was sorta funny, but I saw it as the 2nd part of a double feature with the first Horrible Bosses movie, and I thought Horrible Bosses was MUCH funnier. I always thought that was why I didn't think Bridesmaids was all that, but maybe I was mistaken.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Totally agree. Could not figure out for the life of me why people were going crazy for that movie.

I didn't either. I heard from several people that it was drop dead fun. I maybe laughed twice in the whole movie. Didn't get why people raved about it either.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm fat I fall down then I cuss.

this was her first GREAT movie. only fell down once... not because she was fat. I laughed A LOT during this flick and Statham just savaged his well known action persona perfectly.

this was a strong, smart, sweet and determined character. she needs to play more of these because she's immensely talented when given the right material.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
this was her first GREAT movie. only fell down once... not because she was fat. I laughed A LOT during this flick and Statham just savaged his well known action persona perfectly.

this was a strong, smart, sweet and determined character. she needs to play more of these because she's immensely talented when given the right material.

Really? All she ever comes off as is a trying-too-hard bumbling idiot. Like she's trying really hard to be a female Chris Farley, and failing miserably.

The only caveat I can give is in Saint Vincent, where she was actually acting.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Will be a good date movie with Wendy. Maybe this weekend.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Really? All she ever comes off as is a trying-too-hard bumbling idiot. Like she's trying really hard to be a female Chris Farley, and failing miserably..

Or Zach Galifiankis or Jack Black or John Belushi or the dozens of other guys who have played the crass fat guy.

And now we have a crass fat girl. It is a schtick that predated her and it predated Farley.

I don't recall most of you deriding all the other incarnations of this character.

Is it because women shouldn't be crass or fat? I can pretty much assure you that every woman has been crass and has felt fat. That's fine she isn't your cup of tea, but her movies are making money because people find her entertaining. Just like I found all the fat crass guys who came before her entertaining.

Last edited:
OP
OP
thirty-two

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Or Zach Galifiankis or Jack Black or John Belushi or the dozens of other guys who have played the crass fat guy.

And now we have a crass fat girl. It is a schtick that predated her and it predated Farley.

I don't recall most of you deriding all the other incarnations of this character.

Is it because women shouldn't be crass or fat? I can pretty much assure you that every woman has been crass and has felt fat. That's fine she isn't your cup of tea, but her movies are making money because people find her entertaining. Just like I found all the fat crass guys who came before her entertaining.
This! So effing much!

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score

Bravo Chris.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Really? All she ever comes off as is a trying-too-hard bumbling idiot. Like she's trying really hard to be a female Chris Farley, and failing miserably.

The only caveat I can give is in Saint Vincent, where she was actually acting.

as someone who has agreed with the above in the past, she gave a much different, confident comedic performance here. this was a comedic gem for her and I hope to see more of it.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Farley was definitely that guy, absolutely mining the bowling ball in a china shop brand of comedy for everything it was worth... to diminishing returns. But Belushi rarely relied on his weight. I can't remember ONE fat joke or fat guy fall down go boom in Animal House or Blues Brothers and the only truly PIG character he ever played on SNL was his ridiculously over the top Joe Cocker, but even that was a parody of a real person. Belushi was as subversive and flat out hilarious as it gets. And Galifiankis doesn't really do FALL DOWN GO BOOM humor either.