The Mac Attack: Could Cam Newton be the Cardinals' next franchise quarterback?

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Mac Attack: Could Cam Newton be the Cardinals' next franchise quarterback?

http://www.azcentral.com/story/spor...otPostID=['381e9384730d963f5aeecfba018e958e']

Despite all the wonderful additions the Cardinals made during the costly renovation of their Tempe training facility, something was missing Tuesday as they opened the second week of offseason organized team activities:

Their next franchise starting quarterback.

No offense to Carson Palmer, but he turns 36 in December, he's recovering from the second major reconstructive knee surgery of his career, and it's far-fetched to believe he can be an elite-level quarterback for the next three seasons. That's how many years Palmer has left on his contract, but there's no guarantee the Cardinals will even keep him around that long.

Drew Stanton is 31 and is entering the final year of his contract. He proved last year he's a capable backup – if he's healthy – but that's all he will ever be: a backup. He'll probably always have a job here as long as Bruce Arians remains the team's head coach, but it won't be as the designated starter.

That job won't ever go to Chandler Harnish or Phillip Sims, either. They're nice kids, but they are basically camp bodies filling up the bottom end of the depth chart.

That leaves us with Logan Thomas, the second-year pro out of Virginia Tech whom the Cardinals drafted in the fourth round. At 6 feet-6 inches and 250 pounds, he certainly looks the part. He has a rocket arm and can run like a deer. But he's still considered a project and there are whispers he might even lose his roster spot as the No.3 quarterback to Harnish or Sims.

So who will the Cardinals be able to turn to in another year or two?

Glad you asked.

How does Cam Newton sound?

The former Heisman Trophy winner and two-time BCS national champion could become available in 2016 or 2017, depending on what the Carolina Panthers decide to do with him.

Newton, 26, currently is working under the $14.7 million, fifth-year option from his original rookie deal. If the Panthers don't sign him to a rich extension soon, he is set to become an unrestricted free agent after this season. If they still haven't re-signed him by then, the Panthers could place the franchise tag on Newton and control his rights for an extra year at a salary that likely will cost them at least $20 million.

Carolina may also elect to use the "non-exclusive" franchise tag on Newton, which would allow him to negotiate with other NFL teams and sign an offer sheet somewhere else. And that's where this really could get interesting, considering the Panthers don't seem to be in any rush to ink Newton to a long-term deal.

Newton may be the one who's actually holding up contract talks. He and his representatives are likely waiting to see what kind of deals the Colts give Andrew Luck and the Seahawks give Russell Wilson. That could set the bar for what Newton will be asking and it figures to be somewhere in the $25 million-a-year range.

But the Panthers could pass. Given that he's had an up-and-down career thus far – he's 30-31-1 as a starter – they might be more than willing to let him go the offer-sheet route. That way, they have the right to either match the terms of the offer and retain Newton or let him walk and collect two valuable first-round draft picks as compensation.

And yes, those two first-round picks would come from the team that signs Newton.

Would that be something the Cardinals would consider if such a scenario were to occur? They'd be crazy not to. At 6-6, 260, Newton is bigger than most edge rushers who try to bring him to the ground. His upside is tremendous.

Newton's full talents haven't been allowed to shine in Carolina because the Panthers simply haven't done enough to protect him and they haven't put the proper personnel around him to truly let him succeed. The Cardinals have the surrounding cast to take Newton's game to the next level.

They are built to win now and adding a quarterback like Newton in another year, maybe two, extends their window of opportunity by another seven to eight years instead of the one or two they presently have with Palmer.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
What an excellent troll job by McManaman--trying to produce some content during a D-E-A-D period on the NFL calendar (one of the few weeks remaining).

It's fun to dream. I loved Newton when he came out of Auburn. He could be electric here. Unfortunately:

1) The Cards would never trade 2 first round picks
2) Cutting Carson Palmer in 2016 would create $19M+ in dead money

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
No way Panthers let him leave. Newton is just waiting for the other young qbs to sign mega deals so he can get his up there.

I'd give up the two draft picks to get him though!

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
1) No. He's a good, but not great QB. I can't see him taking Carolina to the next level. I'd rather take a chance in the draft.

2) This article is a total hack job.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
1) No. He's a good, but not great QB. I can't see him taking Carolina to the next level. I'd rather take a chance in the draft.

2) This article is a total hack job.

What's "the next level"? They've won two consecutive NFC South titles. Their offense last year was a Superfund site, and it doesn't look to get much better this year.

Carson Palmer is a good, but not great QB as well. "I'd rather take a chance in the draft" means whiling away time with the E.J. Manuels and Ryan Tannehill's of the NFL, or completely bottoming out in a year that you hope a better savior is available than Jameis Winston.

Neither of those opportunities sounds that appetizing right now.

HeavyB3

Unregistered User
Reaction score
What's "the next level"? They've won two consecutive NFC South titles. Their offense last year was a Superfund site, and it doesn't look to get much better this year.

Carson Palmer is a good, but not great QB as well. "I'd rather take a chance in the draft" means whiling away time with the E.J. Manuels and Ryan Tannehill's of the NFL, or completely bottoming out in a year that you hope a better savior is available than Jameis Winston.

Yeah, this is also why those guys never end up moving and Tannehill is able to get a huge contract. Teams are so scared of not having anyone, that many will settle for "good". There are just too few "great" QB's.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
This article lost me when it referred to Cam as a 2-time BCS National Champion...

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
"Good" QB's are hard to find. You get one you better keep him.

SoCal Cardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I would hate this, watching him go from uber-cocky one second, to a sulking little bitch the next drives me nuts.

HeavyB3

Unregistered User
Reaction score
Yes.

My sources tell me

I'm gonna do this everytime there is a player rumor, just so everyone knows.

I'm like Family Guy. I like to make a joke that's funny, then keep making it until its not funny anymore, and then keep making it until it becomes uncomfortably amusing.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

DoTheDew

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah I'm not buying it. Guys who are truly franchise QBs don't come available unless they are over the hill and coming off nasty injuries. If we aren't spending our own 1st round pick on one then we're going to go with another over 30 stop-gap. Guys in that category with an outside chance to come available that I can think of:

Drew Brees
Philip Rivers
Eli Manning
Matt Ryan
Jay Cutler

One of these teams will suck it up and get a top 10 pick in the next 2 years, draft their next franchise QB, move on from their current guy and inevitably we'll pursue them. It's the Cardinal way. We just need to hope that the better names on that list are available the year we move on from Palmer or else we'll end up in another crappy Kolb situation.

Edit: One other possibility is Kaepernick. I could see him failing under the new SF regime and them moving on. Especially with the way his contract is structured.

Last edited:

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Scam isn't anything special as a passer, thus he's not worth the huge coin & most likely will never sniff a SB. I'll pass

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Oh, I guess I forgot, we have a great QB waiting in the wings just waiting to break out.

For all the people poo-poo'ing Newton, I'd love to know what you'll think our better option will be once we lose Palmer.

TJ

Reaction score

Umm....an NFC Championship??

Cam is mediocre passer and not the leader a team needs to go far into the playoffs. I laugh at the assertion that he's worth two first-round picks. Mortgaging the future on a second-tier quarterback like Cam is what gets GMs fired and shows the desperation and lack of confidence in scouting. I'm mildly surprised that this is even a talking point.

Last edited:

TJ

Reaction score
Edit: One other possibility is Kaepernick. I could see him failing under the new SF regime and them moving on. Especially with the way his contract is structured.

Colin's contract is structured that way because the team doesn't have 100% confidence in him. Same goes for Dalton. Kaepernick has proven to be a self-absorbed douchebag. His latest stunt w/r/t the Houston floods is enough validation.

Last edited:

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
Umm....an NFC Championship??

Cam is mediocre passer and not the leader a team needs to go far into the playoffs. I laugh at the assertion that he's worth two first-round picks. Mortgaging the future on a second-tier quarterback like Cam is what gets GMs fired and shows the desperation and lack of confidence in scouting. I'm mildly surprised that this is even a talking point.
Not that he is worth two first round picks or anything, but wasn't the last QB on our roster who ever won a playoff game named Warner?

Heard a fun stat on the radio today:

Carson Palmer career earnings: $117 million

Carson Palmer career playoff wins: 0

TJ

Reaction score
Not that he is worth two first round picks or anything, but wasn't the last QB on our roster who ever won a playoff game named Warner?

Heard a fun stat on the radio today:

Carson Palmer career earnings: $117 million

Carson Palmer career playoff wins: 0

Pretty sure playing for the Bengals and Raiders has something to do with that.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Oh, I guess I forgot, we have a great QB waiting in the wings just waiting to break out.

For all the people poo-poo'ing Newton, I'd love to know what you'll think our better option will be once we lose Palmer.

So let's spend $100mil & picks for an average passing QB whos a turnover machine? Lol

I'd take door #2 & cough up a 4th or 5th for Glennon & a lot less ca$h & the results would probably be similar on the field if we continued playing good D.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Only way we get a franchise QB is to get one near the end of his career. Like we did with CP. Our recent success makes the Desert an attractive Destination for this. In the meantime, we have to draft one every couple of years and hope we strike Warner.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Yeah I'm not buying it. Guys who are truly franchise QBs don't come available unless they are over the hill and coming off nasty injuries. If we aren't spending our own 1st round pick on one then we're going to go with another over 30 stop-gap. Guys in that category with an outside chance to come available that I can think of:

Drew Brees
Philip Rivers
Eli Manning
Matt Ryan
Jay Cutler

One of these teams will suck it up and get a top 10 pick in the next 2 years, draft their next franchise QB, move on from their current guy and inevitably we'll pursue them. It's the Cardinal way. We just need to hope that the better names on that list are available the year we move on from Palmer or else we'll end up in another crappy Kolb situation.

I would take Rivers, Manning, or Ryan in a heartbeat before I would taken Newton or Kaepernick.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave