Would Cards take a so called "problem" player at #24??

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If CB Marcus Peters, DE Shane Ray or DE Randy Gregory are there at #24 would the Cards take any of them?? All 3 are very good players and based on their talent should normally be picked before the Cards choice at #24. I think when it comes to picking a player in the first round, like any of these, it would not only be Keims call but Michael Bidwill would have to also approve as he signs the pay checks. Although they have been successful with Tyrann Mathieu (but he was a 3rd not 1st round pick), the Daryl Washington situation may have them being "gun shy." Really don't have any feel for this.

Bodha

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Randy Gregory is a major problem....for the opposing QB.

You take that dude and sprint to the getaway car which whisks you to the airport with a 1 way ticket to panama.

On the giant balancing scale of the universe, his talent far outweighs his weed concerns.

put him on the Tyrann testing program

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Keim has proven and reiterated this week that yes, he would if he feels they are good people who made mistakes.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
The Cardinals have interviewed these players and have investigated them, so I have complete trust that if Keim passes on one of them, then it was for a very good reason. To answer the question, it is yes, and that goes for every team since not all troubled players are the same or stay troubled :)

jmt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Who cares if it's just pot. Violence or theft is a different criteria IMO.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score

:trout: Uhhhhhhh...cause it's illegal in most states & it's against NFL policy. I hope you don't let your kids get high because "it's just pot". :(

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
I would almost guarantee Gregory isn't on the Cards board in Rd 1 given his history.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
it is a tough question really.

weed....so what...
suspensions, that's what................ya have to kinda judge if you can trust this fool to keep his **** together...and so far he has proven he cant.

Peters is bi-polar...they got meds for that........but those meds were also available to the Raiders all pro center Barrett Robbins but he still spent three days before the superbowl crying like a baby and swilling tequila....and ended up benched...for the superbowl

Denny Green Fan

Registered
Reaction score
Gregory or Ray could commit triple homicide and I would be ok with the

Cards drafting them.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Gregory or Ray could commit triple homicide and I would be ok with the

Cards drafting them.

yeah why not?? It's not like they are actually representing the team while they are sitting home on suspension playing xbone and getting high..............

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah why not?? It's not like they are actually representing the team while they are sitting home on suspension playing xbone and getting high..............

i wanna go home and play xbone!

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Considering our need at pass rusher, I don't know how they would pass on Gregory or Ray. (especially considering the lack of other impact prospects likely available at 24)

DoTheDew

Registered
Reaction score
The thing that troubles me isn't that they smoke pot or even that they do it when it's illegal. It's that they did it knowing they are going to get tested and knowing that they stand to lose millions of dollars if they get caught. That shows a serious lack of discipline and commitment. It takes a lot more than just physical talent to be an elite player at the next level. If they don't even have the discipline to stay clean for a couple months with everything on the line why should any of us believe they have the discipline to make themselves a better player once they're in the league?

BurqueCardFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

So, I guess you have no problem with the D Washington situation? Missing 20+ games in two years due to substance abuse if not an issue the team should worry about for a future player?

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Not all problem players are created equal. I think the cards have had personal sit downs with each player, Gregory and Ray. How comfortable with each kids character are the decision makers after sitting and talking with them eye to eye and the plethora of back ground checks with past teammates and coaches.

It is the reason why some kids no matter how talented who have these same red flags stay on teams boards and some fall completely off of them.

jmt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
So, I guess you have no problem with the D Washington situation? Missing 20+ games in two years due to substance abuse if not an issue the team should worry about for a future player?
I never said that. Smoking pot is less a "problem" than violence and other crimes and the NFL and the Cardinals should handle it differently.

OP
OP
az jam

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Heard Mike Jurecki on a radio talk show this afternoon. He was asked if the Cards would take Randy Gregory (who has a history of failing drug tests) if there at #24. He said that decision would be up to Michael Bidwill. He also noted that Bidwill is now the head of the new NFL Conduct Committee. Jurecki just didn't know what Bidwill would do.

Last edited:

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
They'd take Ray; Gregory is a much tougher call. Peters is not a possibility.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
I hope not.If a player can`t stop his pot habit before the biggest possible job of his life then whytake a chance.Daryl Washington`s situation should have made the Cards even more gunshy about players a drugs.As for crimes of violence.no way in hell.There are plenty of talented players who will be available.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
thread right above this one right now.....

"OT: Dion Jordan suspended for ENTIRE 2015 season"