2015 Draft QBs

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
I am going to go through each position in the draft and share my thoughts about the prospects. Would love to hear your thoughts.

The QBs I Love:

Marcus Mariota, Oregon. Just love this kid's character and composure. Outstanding athlete---can do it all. Love the way he lights the scoreboard up early in games, which shows how prepared he is. Plus, he keeps turnovers at a minimum.

Garrett Grayson, Colorado St. Tough and very accurate. To me he possesses some Tom Brady-like qualities. Doesn't wow you with arm strength, but keeps coming at you with precision throws, particularly under pressure.

The QBs I Like A Lot:

Brett Hundley, UCLA. Watched a lot of tape on him and man there's a lot to like. I think he doesn't get enough credit for his accuracy---but it's mostly on short and intermediate passes. Love his escapability---but he gets a little too antsy at times, which was in part due to UCLA's shaky pass protection.

Bryce Petty, Baylor. Love the way he can quick-flick it---and love how hungry he is to score points, a la Kurt Warner. Would like to see him step into his throws more. At times he's a little too loosey-goosey. But he knows when to buckle down.

The QBs I Am Intrigued With:

Blake Sims, Alabama. I see some Russell Wilson type qualities in Sims in that he extends plays and is a very good scrambler with 4.5 speed and a hard charging running style. I think he has just as good an arm as Wilson, maybe even stronger---but no one on the planet is as cool under pressure as Wilson, and this is where Sims needs to improve and with experience I think he can. His height does not seem to hamper him---he looks and plays bigger.

Sean Mannion, Oregon St. Love his height and vision. His release is a tad too slow for my liking---but I read that this is an area he is working diligently this off-season on. Was surprised to see him scramble for some yards at the Senior Bowl, although he won't threaten anyone with his legs in the NFL.

Brandon Bridge, South Alabama. Looks like a slightly skinnier version of Cam Newton. Stands tall in the pocket, has a smooth delivery and an excellent arm. Lacks experience and thus has trouble getting into a consistent rhythm. But, he flashes impressive talent.

The QB I Am Leery Of:

Jameis Winston, Florida St. I don't question his physical talent, although he often looks like he could be in better shape. What I question is his preparation (consistently slow starts in games which often included bad interceptions), his off the field issues (for him to stand on a table in the cafeteria at FSU and to shout what he did---in light of the accusations against him---was sheer stupidity, let alone egregious lack of class and immaturity) and his love for baseball (it would not surprise me at all if he switches to baseball, especially if the going gets tough). And that's the thing---Jameis is no longer going to be protected and pampered by the FSU coaches and admins---he is no longer going to be surrounded by superior talent across the board than his opponents'---and he is going to have to deal with the pain of losing, matched with the Monday morning pain of playing on Sundays---which will be a test of his character and will. Now---this kid can turn it on when he wants to, we've all seen that. And he can throw it big-time. A coach like BA would be ideal for him because BA would be straight with him and would develop him and demand the best from him. Not so sure about Lovie, especially with the way Lovie pampered Cutler.

What I Would Like for the Cardinals:

I would love it if Steve Keim found a way to draft Garrett Grayson so that we have the QBOF being groomed behind Carson Palmer for a year or two. I see this is a higher priority than most do, especially after last year's QB fallout.

I am not that high on Stanton, especially at his salary and it being his last year under contract. It struck me as kind of odd how BA played so conservatively with Stanton, which suggests to me that BA doesn't trust in him the way he says he does.

As for Logan Thomas, as much as BA likely feels he has to be invested in him, I just don't see it happening. But I am certainly intrigued with Thomas as a TE prospect.

Chandler Harnish is an interesting addition because of his familiarity with BA's offense---and he may wind up being the #3 QB at some point.

Last edited:

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I would hope that the Cards draft a qb as I have no faith in Logan Thomas. Petty and Hundley will most likely go in the 2nd round and Grayson in the third.
I don't see the Cards using their 2nd round pick on a qb and Grayson could be gone by the time they pick in the third round. I don't like any of the other qbs that would be left. Bottom line is I don't see the Cards drafting a qb.
Maybe, as you suggested Mitch, Harnish could be a surprise and actually end up number 3.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
i did listen adub with jurecky,the cardinals will look for a qb in the draft next year..
but i have a question mitch
do u like logan thomas?

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
i did listen adub with jurecky,the cardinals will look for a qb in the draft next year..
but i have a question mitch
do u like logan thomas?

I think the best question is whether BA likes Thomas. I don't think he does.

Put it this way---if BA felt that the Cardinals had a better chance to win down the stretch and in the playoffs with Lindley at QB than Thomas---

BA would do anything to win---forget the whole "I don't want to hurt LT's confidence" rationale---the reality is after appointing Thomas to start versus SF in Week 17, Thomas was so bad in practice that BA couldn't save face with the team by starting him.

That says it all to me---and it really doesn't matter how many reps Thomas gets this off-season---as long as BA has no confidence in him, Thomas won't get anywhere close to taking a meaningful snap.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Put it this way---if BA felt that the Cardinals had a better chance to win down the stretch and in the playoffs with Lindley at QB than Thomas---

BA would do anything to win---forget the whole "I don't want to hurt LT's confidence" rationale---the reality is after appointing Thomas to start versus SF in Week 17, Thomas was so bad in practice that BA couldn't save face with the team by starting him.

That says it all to me---and it really doesn't matter how many reps Thomas gets this off-season---as long as BA has no confidence in him, Thomas won't get anywhere close to taking a meaningful snap.

agree,time to try him at tigh end
i really tired about givin so much importance about arm strenght,accuracy is the key
probably BA doesnt want to admit his mistake taking a chance on logan thomas
but even the best can make mistake evaluating prospects

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
agree,time to try him at tigh end
i really tired about givin so much importance about arm strenght,accuracy is the key
probably BA doesnt want to admit his mistake taking a chance on logan thomas
but even the best can make mistake evaluating prospects

In BA's defense, he never thought he would have to use Thomas in a game this year---otherwise BA would have prepped Thomas for it, or he would have signed another #3.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
NFL needs QBs. I can see Grayson,Petty, Hundley, Mannion inching their way up towards the first/second. Maybe not all of them but at least one.

Petty was the better "QB" under Art Stiles at Baylor, than Bobby Griffin who went #2 overall, in the draft. There are more desperate teams in the draft than not. It won't take a Redskins "all in deal" to grab Petty much later. I see Petty as a QB with a higher ceiling than Griffin.

Garrett Grayson could be the "wild card" in this draft.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Or just give up a 5th rounder for Glennon, which they reportedly have been willing to accept.

I never understood anyone's (including BA) fascination with Thomas cause he's trash.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Or just give up a 5th rounder for Glennon, which they reportedly have been willing to accept.

I never understood anyone's (including BA) fascination with Thomas cause he's trash.

Really? The Bucs will accept a 5th for Glennon? I would hop all over that. Where did you hear this?

I don't think Thomas is trash---the talent is obvious---but the way BA needs confidence in his QB, I just don't see Thomas having much of a chance at this point. I hope BA and LT prove otherwise!

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score

I actually think we are going to want to draft Brett Hundley in the second. I am not saying I approve but he seems to be more the athletic QB Arians hoped he would get with Thomas. The way he used Thomas last year or rather did not use him and him saying he is getting a lot of work in the preseason says to me he does not believe LT is the solution

Buckybird

Reaction score
Really? The Bucs will accept a 5th for Glennon? I would hop all over that. Where did you hear this?

I don't think Thomas is trash---the talent is obvious---but the way BA needs confidence in his QB, I just don't see Thomas having much of a chance at this point. I hope BA and LT prove otherwise!

Heard it on Sirius Friday & they are suprised they've had no takers.

Sorry to disagree about Thomas, but other than 1 game in college he never really showed much imo. There's a differance in being gifted as an athlete & being a quality QB.

Buckybird

Reaction score
I actually think we are going to want to draft Brett Hundley in the second. I am not saying I approve but he seems to be more the athletic QBArians hoped he would get with Thomas. The way he used Thomas last year or rather did not use him and him saying he is getting a lot of work in the preseason says to me he does not believe LT is the solution

this is the problem Roy I see in analyzing QBs of today, instead of looking at their skills as a passer. He's a more gifted passer than Thomas, but I'm still not convinced Hundley is accurate or talented enough to be successful in this league. Being a great passer of the Rock is so much about anticipation & ball location.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
this is the problem Roy I see in analyzing QBs of today, instead of looking at their skills as a passer. He's a more gifted passer than Thomas, but I'm still not convinced Hundley is accurate or talented enough to be successful in this league. Being a great passer of the Rock is so much about anticipation & ball location.

It is just that the whole college approach is now about the athlete in a spread formation that does not translate to the speed and the intelligence of the pro game at all. If I had to select a QB this draft which would be a realistically possible for when we draft, it would be Petty. I do not like his character makeup but this is if I had to select one (because he is the most traditional one, and the tradition in tow in the NFL is there for a reason because it works). I agree, I would get Glennon right now and actually let Stanton go, and give Thomas a token chance in the preseason... yes, I would have Glennon back up our starter :)

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Heard it on Sirius Friday & they are suprised they've had no takers.

Sorry to disagree about Thomas, but other than 1 game in college he never really showed much imo. There's a differance in being gifted as an athlete & being a quality QB.
I heard that after they let McCown leave, they wanted at minimum a 2nd rounder and that's why there was no interest. Of course, that was awhile ago and things may have changed. I would think they would have already moved Glennon if all they wanted was a 5th rounder. Keim would be nuts not to make that trade.

DoTheDew

Registered
Reaction score
I can't see us drafting a QB early. We're in win now mode, we can't afford the growing pains of a rookie QB. If they don't like Thomas I think it's more likely we pick up a veteran with a little starting experience as our emergency #3 so we don't have to worry about another Lindley/Thomas situation next year.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score

What talent are you referring to. He is an athlete for sure.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
I can't see us drafting a QB early. We're in win now mode, we can't afford the growing pains of a rookie QB. If they don't like Thomas I think it's more likely we pick up a veteran with a little starting experience as our emergency #3 so we don't have to worry about another Lindley/Thomas situation next year.

I think they stand pat, which I believe they will, then what I see them doing is going after a top prospect next year as there should be some good ones available. With Palmer signed on for the next couple years, it gives them time to develop a QBOTF.

Sr. Connor Cook, QB, Michigan State
Jr. Christian Hackenberg, QB, Penn State
Jr. Jonathan Goff, QB, California

These 3 guys fit the proto-typical QB Arians likes. Pocket passers who can stand tall in the pocket and can throw the deep ball. This is also assuming Hackenberg and Goff come out early. I suspect Hackenberg will as he doesn't fit the offense Franklin favors at PSU.

I left Cardale Jones, QB, Ohio State out because he hasn't yet proven to be a QB who has played an entire season in college.

I also left out Dak Prescott, QB, Mississippi State because he doesn't fit the type of offense Arian runs. He is almost a runner first and a passer second as he gained almost 1,000 yds running last year.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose