Hau'oli Kikaha: Making the Case in Round 1

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
As chopper said they want size strenght and lenght in the outside and quickness and speed in the inside
The fact they still want use bucannon play lb in some package show it and confirm his thought

Last edited:

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I think we change it up more than run a straight 3-4.

I've seen plenty of 4-1-6's so you're right, Preston Smith or Hunter would fit fine with this.

Seeing as Redding is 35-36 already, that wouldn't surprise me if they go in that direction as well.

I think Arians thinks that the loss of Dumpster Dan might be bigger than we think.

From what he said in his presser about OL not being an issue now; I think that they're looking at that NT spot very closely right now in the draft.

If Malcom Brown is there he could be the no brainer pick in the 1st. We'll see how comfortable they are with Peters there

I actually believe that they are viewing NT as a role spot that they would prefer to rotate in to. I think they want someone who can play NT on first down, and then DT on 2nd or 3rd so they don't have to run players on and off the field.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
I actually believe that they are viewing NT as a role spot that they would prefer to rotate in to. I think they want someone who can play NT on first down, and then DT on 2nd or 3rd so they don't have to run players on and off the field.

So, Cory Peters and who else?

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Hau'oli Kikaha/LB-DE/Washington runs mid-to-high 4.9's (4.97s) after weighing in at 243lbs

mitch?

5th rounder?

Last edited:

BurqueCardFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I just don't think a team should ever reach for a player in round one just because you don't think he will make it to your next pick. If he is a top or middle round two talent, then that is where you should try and take him (whether it be by trading up in round two or trading out of round one). I don't think you reach and take him at #24 just because you think he won't make it to #55.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Stinson..Ta'Amu (a cheap option for specific situations).

Stinson looks VERY narrow in the trunk to play NT as a two-gap player. Corey Peters looks a little broader through the hips, but seems to move up and down in weight.

I think that with Washington and Dansby, we liked having a NT in the game more often to create space for that A-gap blitz. When it's two guys who don't stand a chance of getting to the QB (Foote and Minter/Bucannon), I think we just tried to clog the middle with bodies to open chances from the outside.

splitsecond

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
19 sacks in a conference full of mobile running backs and spread offenses is really, really impressive even without previous knee injuries.

Assface

Like a boss
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, in our scheme, speed is more important than size at the ILB position. This is why I like Shaq Thompson. He is fast/quick enough to get around blocks and make tackles in the backfield which is needed because we ask our defensive line to penetrate rather than hold POA. You need ILBs who can make tackles when the RB has to redirect.

At OLB however, our LBs have to be able to physically set the edge. Keep in mind that Okafor struggled with this and he is 255 - 260 lbs. We run our defense almost like a five man front.

My guess is that we will add a Preston Smith, Odig, Dupree, or Hunter type player rather than a smaller guy like Shane Ray or Eli Harold.

3-4 defense in general is more of a 5-2 with 3 DT, 2 stand up DE and 2 true LB.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
3-4 defense in general is more of a 5-2 with 3 DT, 2 stand up DE and 2 true LB.

Kind of, but not really.

A traditional 3-4 defense has the defensive linemen playing two-gap technique (occupying the gap on either side of the offensive lineman they're playing over--each DE has a tackle, the NT is over the Center).

A 5-2 or "Bear" front is a one-gap defense where the responsibility of the player is to control or occupy the gap in front of them.

We ended up playing a lot of bear front as the season wore on.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
As chopper said they want size strenght and lenght in the outside and quickness and speed in the inside
The fact they still want use bucannon play lb in some package show it and confirm his thought
Size and speed on the outside = Danielle Hunter.

I posted in another thread about Eli Harold vs. Bud Dupree, who everyone on here likes, and my scout friend says Harold is the better player. It's just one guys opinion but I was surprised as I also thought Dupree would have been his choice as to who the better player is.

I've looked at Harold and he is no slouch. He's as athletic as any OLB in the draft and played QB/RB in high school. He has a non-stop motor to match his production. If he was an inch, or two, taller he'd be a top 10 pick. But he's not.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Hau'oli Kikaha/LB-DE/Washington runs mid-to-high 4.9's (4.97s) after weighing in at 243lbs

mitch?

5th rounder?

Kikaha's 4.97 knocks him out of the 1st round---but I think he is still going to be drafted in the top 75.

Some guys are what i call adrenaline players---like Terrell Suggs (who ran most of his 40s in the 4.9 area). Kikaha's production---as incredibly consistent as it was (14 straight games with a sack, for example)---was not a fluke. The dude can pressure and pressure consistently hard.

Plus, he passes the eye test with flying colors. He is a highly aggressive defender who has a nose for the ball, because he rarely takes himself out of plays by rushing too wide or out of control.

Now---it would be a surprise if he was drafted on the top 40. I think he will be taken somewhere between picks 41-75.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
That article only makes me hope for Gregory at #24 more then ever. Just like the article states I don't think he gets enough credit for his strength and his run defending in college, all because he weighed in at 235.

Oh for sure...I think if he's available they run up to the podium. I just think someone will take a chance on him before 24.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
BTW Joe, what are your thoughts on Kikaha? Worth a 2nd rounder?

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
That article only makes me hope for Gregory at #24 more then ever. Just like the article states I don't think he gets enough credit for his strength and his run defending in college, all because he weighed in at 235.
I heard Polian saying today that Gregory played as light as 220 last year and has trouble keeping weight and that won't work being that light in the NFL. Polian said, as a rule, that you can add 5 pounds to the player but that's about it. I found that hard to believe.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I heard Polian saying today that Gregory played as light as 220 last year and has trouble keeping weight and that won't work being that light in the NFL. Polian said, as a rule, that you can add 5 pounds to the player but that's about it. I found that hard to believe.

I used to think that, but Daryl Washington (among others) changed my mind.

Calais Campbell weighed in at 282 at the Combine, and he's played at over 3 bills for the last few seasons.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
I'm on board Mitch.

If Kikaha's knees hold up he's special, his production doesn't lie. The drafts a gamble & if they don't draft him in Rd 1 we very well could be shut out on the top edge rushers once again.

I don't like Harold's so-so production in sacking the QB. Supposedly Ray git caught with pot today & if true he and Gregory will be off the Cards board in Rd 1 imo.

Once again, we might be toast on edge rushers unless we overdraft Kikaha though I'm in your corner about him.

How far can we trade down & still get this kid?

Last edited: