Some Cardinals' Choices From Here if No AP Trade

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I understand the cap hit portion, but... we're a team that is looking to compete for a Super Bowl this year. It's kind of this year, next, or bust. Carson hasn't proven the ability to play 16 games since we've had him, and we need someone who can capably fill in if that is the case. A rookie or Logan Thomas isn't going to take us there, and Vick, in my opinion, was both never that good, and also is completely done. Logan Thomas is also a long way away from being capable of stepping in and running the offense.

And with that said, the Bills already have EJ Manuel and Matt Cassel, neither of which Stanton is a 100% clear upgrade to. Fred Jackson is more valuable to the Bills than Stanton - and keep in mind, the Bills re-signed him this year for a reason, after acquiring McCoy. He's clearly in their plans.

Just to reiterate on point 3 - he might not re-sign here next year, but that doesn't mean that he doesn't have a significant value on a roster that is looking to win the Super Bowl this year.
Palmer started and played all 16 games in 2013 and was the only QB to throw a pass that year :shrug:. He's been very durable over his career and his 2 injuries this past year were of the flukey variety.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
Darren Fells the top TE? You lost me there Mitch..............bit of a stretch isn`t it? Fells made a few plays but he was nothing special IMHO.I fully expect Niklas to shine this year if he can stay healthy.Carlson was adequate.I see Cards getting another TE for competition with Bolser for 4th TE spot.The only way I see Carlson gone is if every other TE is lights out this preseason.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Darren Fells the top TE? You lost me there Mitch..............bit of a stretch isn`t it? Fells made a few plays but he was nothing special IMHO.I fully expect Niklas to shine this year if he can stay healthy.Carlson was adequate.I see Cards getting another TE for competition with Bolser for 4th TE spot.The only way I see Carlson gone is if every other TE is lights out this preseason.

I thought Fells was flourishing down the stretch as a blocker and tough RAC receiver. Best ability I saw all year from any of the Cardinals' TEs.

Prior to the draft, I watched a lot of tape on Niklas at Notre Dame and I came away feeling iffy about him as a Day 2 prospect. I think his blocking is over-rated especially because most TEs in college today don't block much at all---and as a receiver he lumbered through his routes, displayed hard hands and really didn't run over anyone once he caught the ball. One would expect that with his size and power he would lower his shoulder and punish DBs---but---at Notre Dame he went down easily on contact.

Taking him in the 2nd round last year, imo, is about as bad as taking Rob Housler in the 3rd round with Justin Houston still on the board.

Hopefully Niklas will be healthy and focused this year---he's still young and has the physical talent to be a good, solid pro. In fact, I would be very interested to see what he could do at RT if he continues to struggle at TE.

Last edited:

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
I thought Fells was flourishing down the stretch as a blocker and tough RAC receiver. Best ability I saw all year from any of the Cardinals' TEs.

Prior to the draft, I watched a lot of tape on Niklas at Notre Dame and I came away feeling iffy about him as a Day 2 prospect. I think his blocking is over-rated especially because most TEs in college today don't block much at all---and as a receiver he lumbered through his routes, displayed hard hands and really didn't run over anyone once he caught the ball. One would expect that with his size and power he would lower his shoulder and punish DBs---but---at Notre Dame he went down easily on contact.

Taking him in the 2nd round last year, imo, is about as bad as taking Rob Housler in the 3rd round with Justin Houston still on the board.

Hopefully Niklas will be healthy and focused this year---he's still young and has the physical talent to be a good, solid pro. In fact, I would be very interested to see what he could do at RT if he continues to struggle at TE.
This is Niklas `s 3rd year playing TE I think.A little health and a real chance to play and show his abilities and he will do well.

I guess all those experts who thought5 he was one of the better blocking TEs are wrong also.Sorry Mitch completely disagree with you on this.:mulli:

Last edited:

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I like Niklas so far.... But I agree Fells was playing very well to end the season......IMO Niklas and Fells gives us 2.........just a matter of how many the coach wants.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
Note: I think Melvin Gordon, Cam Erving, Bud Dupree and Malcom Brown will be off the board at #24---i would select any of them if available, but seeing as they are not:

1. Shaq Thompson, LB, Washington. Adding speed to the defense is key, imo.
2. Hauoli Kikaha, OLB, Washington. Hoping he will be there---really like his quicks off the edge and his relentless style of play.
3. Ameeer Abdullah, RB, Nebraska. His feet are special and he plays tough.
4. Josh Harper, WR/KR, California. This kid is sneaky talented.
5. Damarious Randall, S, Arizona St. His vision and instincts are good.
6. Nick Marshall, CB, Auburn. Superb athlete who showed CB skill at Senior Bowl.
7. Jeff Heuerman, TE, Ohio St. Solid blocker.

What if all the above are available except Dupree, all things remaining status quo?

Otherwise I like the draft, but we do need to draft a rookie OL, imo. Thompson and Kikaha would be somewhat redundant even though Kikaha is a pure speed pass rusher from what I've seen. But some of those picks would be excellent where we get them.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
What if all the above are available except Dupree, all things remaining status quo?

Otherwise I like the draft, but we do need to draft a rookie OL, imo. Thompson and Kikaha would be somewhat redundant even though Kikaha is a pure speed pass rusher from what I've seen. But some of those picks would be excellent where we get them.

I think Thompson plays WILB in our system and Kikaha is definitely a WOLB. Kikaha has quicks but he also can bull rush. Todd McShay of ESPN tweeted today that Kikaha is a first round talent if he didn't have a history of knee issues. And, I will say that if the Cardinals take Kikaha in round one I will be very happy because I think he's as good a pass rusher as any OLB prospect in this draft. he had 19 sacks this past year and 13.5 the year before coming off ACL rehab. Check this:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited by a moderator:

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Doesn't Abraham have a suspension coming up for his (second)DUI? If he doesn't retire

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
Nice highlights. He gets after it. I wouldn't take a chance on him in the first though. I'm thinking they could play it safe and take Erving or Flowers in the 1st.

Flowers would be groomed for RT while Massie tests the open market.

Reaction score
I think Thompson plays WILB in our system and Kikaha is definitely a WOLB. Kikaha has quicks but he also can bull rush. Todd McShay of ESPN tweeted today that Kikaha is a first round talent if he didn't have a history of knee issues. And, I will say that if the Cardinals take Kikaha in round one I will be very happy because I think he's as good a pass rusher as any OLB prospect in this draft. he had 19 sacks this past year and 13.5 the year before coming off ACL rehab. Check this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnB0KrxTS1s

Awesome highlights Mitch. I wouldn't mind having him in Cardinal Red if we can get him in the 2nd round or later.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Do people really think we're gonna draft an OL in the first when OLB, CB, & even ILB are way bigger needs?
I don't like that idea.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Do people really think we're gonna draft an OL in the first when OLB, CB, & even ILB are way bigger needs?
I don't like that idea.

lol....are they really..."much"....bigger needs?? we have an offensive minded coach who has a vision of bringing back an air Coryell style to the Red Birds.....what better way to make that happen than to gather some fast WR's,...a QB who can air it out,...and an O-Line that can give him six seconds to throw it.....

we have some talent at LB....and we have some youth at LB....would be nice to have some talented youth at LB though....

we really are not horrible at DB.....if our LB's pan out then the cannon does not have to play the box......which means we get an extra safety for coverage.

I'm all in on the "Trade up for Danny Shelton" bandwagon myself.....