I'm Still Waiting..........

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
It's tough to have a smrf CB playing on the O/S.

The thing is---Mathieu doesn't play like a smurf because he has a knack for positioning himself on perfect angles to the passing lanes---plus he's an excellent tackler in space.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The thing is---Mathieu doesn't play like a smurf because he has a knack for positioning himself on perfect angles to the passing lanes---plus he's an excellent tackler in space.

Could be but so far the talk from the Cards is that Justin Bethel will be first in line to be the other CB starter. He is listed as 6' 190 lbs.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Barring injury the Cardinals are good to go with the secondary personnel on the roster: Peterson and Powers on the outside and Mathieu at nickleback.

The Draftniks who project a corner to the Cardinals don't know the roster. They just see Cromartie gone and say they need a corner.

It doesn't take an expert to realize that a guy like Marcus Peters, Trae Waynes or Jalen Collins would be an upgrade to what we have opposite PP at the moment.

I wouldn't hesitate to take a Marcus Peters or Trae Waynes at #24 if Dupree isn't there.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It doesn't take an expert to realize that a guy like Marcus Peters, Trae Waynes or Jalen Collins would be an upgrade to what we have opposite PP at the moment.

I wouldn't hesitate to take a Marcus Peters or Trae Waynes at #24 if Dupree isn't there.

Totally agree, both have the potential to be shut down corners.

don7031

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

In the 4th quarter of the Detroit game when the Lions were in pass mode the Cardinals had Powers on Calvin Johnson and Peterson on Golden Tate.

You can project rookies all you want, but right now there is no way in hell you put one of those guys in solo man on Megatron.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
In the 4th quarter of the Detroit game when the Lions were in pass mode the Cardinals had Powers on Calvin Johnson and Peterson on Golden Tate.

You can project rookies all you want, but right now there is no way in hell you put one of those guys in solo man on Megatron.

Hold up, there are a lot of #1 CB's in the NFL that will not be able to cover Megatron on an island so don't really see your point. Are you saying Powers is better than Peters or Waynes because he doesn't have their talent or potential...I'll give you Powers is more experienced but that is it. I think Waynes or Peters would be able to hold their own against #2 receivers as Peterson's job is to cover #1 WR's.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
...........for some exciting news from the Cardinals regarding FA. Okay, that's not entirely true as the Iupati signing did excite me, but not much else. Consider:
1. We now have a backup center to compete with another backup center (Larson). Maybe BA remembers Shipley from three years ago, and we can only hope he's the same player, today. But I have to say, I'm not excited.
2. We have a BIG HOLE at CB, which could cause us to draft for need in Round One. I hope not.
3. Still no pass rusher. Woodley is a dream/hope/fantasy, that even the most delusional fan can't expect much from. We'll probably target a LB in Rd 1 or 2, if we don't reach (anyone not named Waynes or Collins) for a CB. I did read that the pass rushers drafted in the first round in last year's draft, DID NOT put up impressive sack numbers.
4. Have hope for Peters, but is he better than a healthy DD? At least he's younger.
5. Still need a big RB. Should be able to get one in the Draft.
6. W/o knowing how much CAP space we have, it SEEMS that we have enough to make a splash, and I do have faith in BASK, but for now I'm depressed.

Agree with all of this. Too bad we couldn't have snagged Trent Cole. I like our signings but still don't have a pass rusher and huge hole at CB.

vinnymac

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The Cardinals biggest hole to fill is TE and RB. Those position didn't pull their weight. Ellington will not last if he has the same work load. Who were our TE last season? Hopefully the Cardinals can get more production from the TE & RB position this season. If the Cardinals are going to reach for a position it is going to be for a OLB/DE. BA & SK believe in Bethel. It is a wait and see.

OP
OP
G

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
vinny, if BASK are right about Bethel, we'll be okay. Have to admit I'm not sold on Bethel as a CB, though he's a great Special Teamer. Of course:
1. BA knows a lot more than I do.
2. BA also blows a lot more smoke than I do.