Per Gery Woeffell .....Phoenix Suns offering Goran Dragic for first round pick

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I still think he has a plan, it's just a fairly general one though. Collect assets until you can upgrade.

That's everybody's plan. If you want to win in a game of strategy, you need to have a superior strategy, or else get very lucky. It's not enough for your team to get better -- it has to get more better than other teams are getting. A straightforward strategy executed with mediocre success is guaranteed to produce a mediocre result.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Bickley was on 12 News at 6:00 confirming the rumors that PHX is looking to sell off Dragic. He thinks PHX will be sellers and build for next year. He also mentioned don't believe the reports Amare is PHX bound. He pretty much said what most on this board have already mentioned: he plays no defense, he's old and he isn't going to help PHX turn it around. He also stated what everyone on this board thinks, PHX needs an alpha male superstar like James Harden who torched us earlier in the week.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bickley was on 12 News at 6:00 confirming the rumors that PHX is looking to sell off Dragic. He thinks PHX will be sellers and build for next year. He also mentioned don't believe the reports Amare is PHX bound. He pretty much said what most on this board have already mentioned: he plays no defense, he's old and he isn't going to help PHX turn it around. He also stated what everyone on this board thinks, PHX needs an alpha male superstar like James Harden who torched us earlier in the week.

I never go to Bickley for any inside information. However, maybe he is talking to Paul Coro who does not deal with rumor. I think Coro knows what is going on.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I never go to Bickley for any inside information. However, maybe he is talking to Paul Coro who does not deal with rumor. I think Coro knows what is going on.
They all work for Gannett. Channel 12, AzCentral.com, the Arizona Republic and USA Today. That is quite a (Phoenix) powerhouse.

Hopefully they share reliable information.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In a Dan Bickley article put up at azcentral a short time ago he writes of a rumor that has already been bandied around.

The All-Star break brings no rest to the Suns front office. Team executives are working the phones and instigating potential deals. One report says they are offering up Goran Dragic — the most popular, most sincere, most happy-to-be-here guy on the roster — for a first-round draft pick.

However, he does quote Lon Babby which is more concrete:

"I would take the fifth, generally, on any of these specific trade rumors," Suns President of Basketball Operations Lon Babby said. "What I would say is I expect us to be active. And what I mean by that is we're not going to just sit here and wait for the phone to ring.

"We'll be initiating calls to every team, and taking the temperature of what's out there and what's available. And it wouldn't surprise me at all if we do something between now and next Thursday."

One thing seems certain. The Suns plan to make some moves before the trade deadline.

http://www.azcentral.com/story/spor...phoenix-suns-trade-goran-dragic-nba/23322929/

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
With the Phoenix Suns need more than anything is a big who is strong defensively and on the boards and most importantly shoots around 40% from three-point land. Unfortunately these players do not grow on trees. Neither do alpha male superstars or nearly everything else that people want the Phoenix Suns to magically find.

Just remember this. Making no moves is much better than making bad moves. Sometimes we just aren't going to be able to get the trades we all want on a message board.

Joe

Last edited:

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
With the Phoenix Suns need more than anything is a big who is strong defensively and on the boards and most importantly shoots around 40% from three-point land. Unfortunately these players do not grow on trees.

That's an understatement. I can't think of a single one.

sly fly

Devil Me This
Reaction score
Think I might have to start posting again. Still follow this forum from time to time, and don't have as much time to post my thoughts.

I'm fortunate enough to sit really close to the Suns bench every game. I can tell you the vibe sucks, and has sucked for most of the year. Some of the players don't listen, especially with all the crap music playing during the game. Bledsoe, IT, Green, Plumlee all have sulked on the bench like sour lemons at different points of the year. You can't have that. Some of the players on this team are in it for themselves, could give a rat's ass about the team. As long as they're getting minutes and shots... that's all they need.

Last game against Houston, Bledsoe and company missed Dragic a few consecutive times sitting in the corner for open J's. Dragic was clearly pissed as he walked back to the huddle, screaming to the coaches they had missed him "4 times". It was really the first time (that I saw) Dragic seemed genuinely frustrated.

Just some quick thoughts...

- Dragic. He's not the problem. How does a 3rd team All-NBA player get frozen out? Hasn't played his best, he'd be the first to tell you. I think he's deferred too much to Bled/IT. I still think he's the heart and soul of this franchise.

- Bledsoe. Remarkable talent. Will drive a coach nuts. The question I have is does he have the ability to play hard every night? PHX is hard to beat when Bledsoe is running full tilt 38 minutes and not turning the ball over.

- IT. Freak scorer. That's it. Pure Scoring Guard. Awful PG. Luxury player to have on championship team. IT needs to remember that he didn't lift SAC to the playoffs or anything close to .500 ball. Ish Smith was just fine. And, I think Tyler Ennis will be a helluva player in a few years. IT (in my mind) will be gone by the trade deadline.

- Marcus Morris. I kind of have a feeling that the tirade Marcus laid on Hornacek was his ticket out of town. Soon. Based on recent events, it may not be in the best interest of the brothers to keep them together.

- Miles Plumlee. What the hell has happened to this guy from the beginning of last season to today? If he were playing in NY, he'd be ripped to shreds by the media.

- PJ Tucker. Quit yapping at your teammates and just play some D and mix it up. Lead by example, not your mouth.

- Gerald Green. Just a couple weeks ago, McDonough was saying how badly they wanted to re-sign Green and he was a part of their future. Would not surprise me to see him gone for practically nothing within the next week.

- Alex Len. Kid's a player. Just needs some time, help on the front line, and stay away from nut-job players like Robin Lopez.

I've loved the Suns since I was 6. But, I'm not naive enough to think that this team doesn't have issues. I'm actually shocked that they still have the 8 seed, so I guess things could be worse.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Think I might have to start posting again. Still follow this forum from time to time, and don't have as much time to post my thoughts.

I'm fortunate enough to sit really close to the Suns bench every game. I can tell you the vibe sucks, and has sucked for most of the year. Some of the players don't listen, especially with all the crap music playing during the game. Bledsoe, IT, Green, Plumlee all have sulked on the bench like sour lemons at different points of the year. You can't have that. Some of the players on this team are in it for themselves, could give a rat's ass about the team. As long as they're getting minutes and shots... that's all they need.

Last game against Houston, Bledsoe and company missed Dragic a few consecutive times sitting in the corner for open J's. Dragic was clearly pissed as he walked back to the huddle, screaming to the coaches they had missed him "4 times". It was really the first time (that I saw) Dragic seemed genuinely frustrated.

Just some quick thoughts...

- Dragic. He's not the problem. How does a 3rd team All-NBA player get frozen out? Hasn't played his best, he'd be the first to tell you. I think he's deferred too much to Bled/IT. I still think he's the heart and soul of this franchise.

- Bledsoe. Remarkable talent. Will drive a coach nuts. The question I have is does he have the ability to play hard every night? PHX is hard to beat when Bledsoe is running full tilt 38 minutes and not turning the ball over.

- IT. Freak scorer. That's it. Pure Scoring Guard. Awful PG. Luxury player to have on championship team. IT needs to remember that he didn't lift SAC to the playoffs or anything close to .500 ball. Ish Smith was just fine. And, I think Tyler Ennis will be a helluva player in a few years. IT (in my mind) will be gone by the trade deadline.

- Marcus Morris. I kind of have a feeling that the tirade Marcus laid on Hornacek was his ticket out of town. Soon. Based on recent events, it may not be in the best interest of the brothers to keep them together.

- Miles Plumlee. What the hell has happened to this guy from the beginning of last season to today? If he were playing in NY, he'd be ripped to shreds by the media.

- PJ Tucker. Quit yapping at your teammates and just play some D and mix it up. Lead by example, not your mouth.

- Gerald Green. Just a couple weeks ago, McDonough was saying how badly they wanted to re-sign Green and he was a part of their future. Would not surprise me to see him gone for practically nothing within the next week.

- Alex Len. Kid's a player. Just needs some time, help on the front line, and stay away from nut-job players like Robin Lopez.

I've loved the Suns since I was 6. But, I'm not naive enough to think that this team doesn't have issues. I'm actually shocked that they still have the 8 seed, so I guess things could be worse.

Nice post. Thanks for the view from up close.

Steve

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Think I might have to start posting again.

Good stuff.:thumbup:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Please post more sly fly. I found your comments interesting and informative.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I second this! Please do post more. I am very interested in observations from behind the Suns bench.
I thank you, too, for the sideline insight, slyfly. It certainly supports what a lot of us have been feeling from a distance.

sly fly

Devil Me This
Reaction score
I second this! Please do post more. I am very interested in observations from behind the Suns bench.

OK will do guys. Some of the stuff you see down low is a lot different from what you see on TV. It's eye-opening, but really cool.

The one thing that TV doesn't project is the abuse these players take (especially the guards) rubbing off screens. If the defender is not committed to fighting through time after time, he'll get torched. There's literally no time to sit there and debate what needs to be done.

On Hornacek: It's clear he doesn't have the players that are his "type" of players. Not all, but some. He gets very frustrated when they don't run the designed play... which is often lol. Over the past few weeks, you can see some of the stuff is getting to him more than it did.

When Bledsoe doesn't get back on D, or makes a wild turnover... you see the headshakes on the bench from the assistants. Long head shakes lol.

Sarver still chirps and screams at the refs. Earlier this year he ran the distance from his seat, across the baseline and started screaming in the refs ear. Had to be pulled back by security, then sat in an open seat away from his wife the rest of the game to cool down. Those refs gotta love him.

PJ is the most intense player on the court most nights. Especially when walking towards the bench, which usually involves a few, loud "m'fers" stringed together. I don't mind it, but I'm sure some of the players do ... especially when he's getting lit up by Harden. He may not be the most talented player out there, but he usually acts like he cares the most.

The crowds can be sleepy at times early in the game. Not lately though. On most nights, it usually gets loud and rowdy by end of 3rd quarter... which seems to be the time everyone is lit up. Especially if the games are close. The crowds have been better, but have a long way to go to get back to being the Madhouse. There's just a more transient crowd. I don't have too many in my section who are there most nights. I went to the Clips game in L.A. when Griffin hit the 3, and noticed how many more younger people were at the game... and loud. Would be nice to get the lower bowl filled up with younger, loud fans like myself and my friends that go with me.

I'm there for the ball, I love it. I don't care about the loud music being played, especially when the Suns have the ball. The music is so loud, there's no way in hell the players hear the coaches most of the time. I wish they would tame that crap down... I'd rather hear the players call out picks and hear the shoes squeak. I've brought this up, but to no avail. I guess the reasoning is that a lot of people are at the games for "entertainment", not ball purists. Whatever.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm there for the ball, I love it. I don't care about the loud music being played, especially when the Suns have the ball. The music is so loud, there's no way in hell the players hear the coaches most of the time. I wish they would tame that crap down... I'd rather hear the players call out picks and hear the shoes squeak. I've brought this up, but to no avail. I guess the reasoning is that a lot of people are at the games for "entertainment", not ball purists. Whatever.

I absolutely agree. Less is more when it comes to the PA system, but pro sports seem to have lost that. Its astounding when you compare the atmosphere of a college games games (where at best you have a marching band) to that of a pro team, whos PA system emits and endless drone of throw away chants and music that one cannot help but ignore.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Absolutely, this is the best part of the game. I used to attend college baseball games where I could rest by feet on the 3rd base dugout and even talk to the players. Wow. Those were the days.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
As much as I enjoy the NBA in general, I won't go to games because the music is so painfully loud. The league has permanently lost me as a live customer.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As much as I enjoy the NBA in general, I won't go to games because the music is so painfully loud. The league has permanently lost me as a live customer.

It may be a strange comparison but I think it might be comparable to the music industry where the entertainment is more important than the music.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Depends on which music industry you're talking about. ;)

I definitely think today's popular music falls into this category plus many other groups, Rap, Hip Hop, etc.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
It may be a strange comparison but I think it might be comparable to the music industry where the entertainment is more important than the music.
Live concerts started blasting out audiences over thirty years ago. It has just taken the NBA a long time to catch up.

SunsFan89

Reaction score
I'm not as invested in this team as much as I was 5 years ago, but I don't understand why Bledsoe is getting so much hate. Sure he has his flaws like anyone, but he's far and away our best player.

To me, the decision isn't Bledsoe OR Dragic. It's Thomas or Dragic.

+1