2014 Arizona Basketball

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
This team was incredibly unprepared and played like it couldn't wait to get back to Tucson. It also seemed as if they'd never played against a zone defense in their lives.

The UNLV loss I can accept, losing to a team like Oregon State ruins tournament resumes.

Last edited:

TJ

Reaction score
I don't understand why Miller didn't go bigger at the end.. With OSUs big out, why not go inside since it was a close game and we need rebounds.. Tarc Johnson Ashley RHJ and tj would have had shooters and size vs York and Pitts.

Tarc and Ashley were awful in this game. Zeus had zero rebounds in 23 minutes. Ashley, again, continues to get abused in ISO. Only player who played well was, no surprise, McConnell.

I think Miller needs to create more plays for Stanley to penetrate the lane. I'm shocked the team didn't penetrate more, but rather, passed the ball around for an open shot.

TimurT1990

Rookie
Reaction score
What an awful loss...

It's moments like these that I really miss Nick Johnson. The guy had a knack for motivating his teammates in tough spots like these. We really need to relearn how to finish strong.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What an awful loss...

It's moments like these that I really miss Nick Johnson. The guy had a knack for motivating his teammates in tough spots like these. We really need to relearn how to finish strong.

That's the difference between him and Stanley, he was an experienced go to junior, Stanley is a very talented freshman.

note the winning layup the guy just shot right by Johnson for the bucket. He's a great prospect but he's a freshman.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
Oregon State? OREGON STATE?!?!

Totally ruins my buzz for having tickets to the Utah game on Saturday!!

Iceman

Administrator
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last thing Az needed was this loss. Or maybe it was a motivator for the team to not take anyone lightly, especially in the PAC. Biggest games on opponents schedule is vs Wildcats, so its all in for each PAC team against them

TJ

Reaction score
Last thing Az needed was this loss. Or maybe it was a motivator for the team to not take anyone lightly, especially in the PAC. Biggest games on opponents schedule is vs Wildcats, so its all in for each PAC team against them

It's not the "last thing AZ needed," but serves as a reality check for the team and fans. Miller needs to do a better job preparing for games (the team looked lost) and players need to play more aggressive.. I think Stanley needs more plays called for him. He seems to be more focused overall when he is getting his touches on offense (he only had four shots all game in 26 minutes of action). He can certainly score the rock.

Fortunately, it's January and not March. If the team is going to having mental lapses, it's now, but it can ill afford to have many more.

To win the PAC, Zona essentially needs to beat both Colorado and Utah this week, which won't be easy.

Last edited:

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
And you guys were razzing me for the ASU football team losing to Oregon State. Now this. :)

No worries though, I think your team has plenty of time to right the ship and finish strong.

Last edited:

TJ

Reaction score
Best game of the season. Energy was incredible. Should've won by 25, but the officiating was trash.

Stanley Johnson is going to be one of the best players in college hoops this season.

Mrh182

Jai Guru Deva OM
Reaction score
This place is dead..

Solid win lastnight over Stanford as well as some SOLID minutes from Matty Korcheck.. take out Tarc's meaningless 15 seconds left dunk and he had less points than Matt did in 5 mins.

Not sure what to make of Tarcs season and his numbers sometimes for a 7 footer

TJ

Reaction score
Wonder how Rabb felt about that contest.

Not a bright move by Cal. Why schedule a visit with the top recruiting target while playing the team you're competing against for that same recruit? Compounded by the fact that the other team happens to be a hell of a lot better.

Unless Rabb's mom is staying firm on her desire for her son to stay local, Cal just lot significant ground to Arizona.

Last edited:

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Not a bright move by Cal. Why schedule a visit with the top recruiting target while playing the team you're competing against for that same recruit? Compounded by the fact that the other team happens to be a hell of a lot better.

Unless Rabb's mom is staying firm on her desire for her son to stay local, Cal just lot significant ground to Arizona.

I would like to think that Rabb knows CAL is not on the same level as UA, if it were up to him I honestly believe he would have committed to UA already. I don't see what the mom's reasoning is. Rabb is only going to college for 1 year before going pro so its not like he is gonna be away from his family for a long period of time.

Hopefully Miller can convince her of this. I understand if she wouldn't want to move to ARZ, maybe she has a job that will not allow her to relocate. I guess the mom feels CAL or UA is only a 1 year deal so it doesn't matter if he is playing for a NT contender, as long as Rabb can showcase himself and stay healthy while being located near his family, he will be in the NBA in the next 2 years.

TJ

Reaction score
I would like to think that Rabb knows CAL is not on the same level as UA, if it were up to him I honestly believe he would have committed to UA already. I don't see what the mom's reasoning is. Rabb is only going to college for 1 year before going pro so its not like he is gonna be away from his family for a long period of time.

Hopefully Miller can convince her of this. I understand if she wouldn't want to move to ARZ, maybe she has a job that will not allow her to relocate. I guess the mom feels CAL or UA is only a 1 year deal so it doesn't matter if he is playing for a NT contender, as long as Rabb can showcase himself and stay healthy while being located near his family, he will be in the NBA in the next 2 years.

I think Rabb is waiting to see what Kentucky does. Last I read, he's paying close attention to how rosters are going to shape up so he can get immediate playing time. That means, if Ashley stays for some reason, he won't come to Arizona. Also, it's not a foregone conclusion that Rabb will be one-and-done. Likely, but not as high of a chance as Stanley and Gordon.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I think Rabb is waiting to see what Kentucky does. Last I read, he's paying close attention to how rosters are going to shape up so he can get immediate playing time. That means, if Ashley stays for some reason, he won't come to Arizona. Also, it's not a foregone conclusion that Rabb will be one-and-done. Likely, but not as high of a chance as Stanley and Gordon.

If Rabb starts and stays healthy, he is a one and done, he's too talented. If UA loses Johnson & RHJ, he will be the best player on the roster next year and the offense will run through him. Even if Ashley stays, I think Miller moves him to the SF spot and Rabb plays PF. Kentucky has more depth than UA meaning even if they lose Towns, Lyles & Cauley-Stein there is still Lee & Johnson on the roster. Kentucky has Skal Labissiere coming in along with a New Zealand PF who committed today and Chieck Diallo is also still considering them. UA will provide Rabb the best place to start but you can never count out Calipari I guess.

TJ

Reaction score
If Rabb starts and stays healthy, he is a one and done, he's too talented. If UA loses Johnson & RHJ, he will be the best player on the roster next year and the offense will run through him. Even if Ashley stays, I think Miller moves him to the SF spot and Rabb plays PF. Kentucky has more depth than UA meaning even if they lose Towns, Lyles & Cauley-Stein there is still Lee & Johnson on the roster. Kentucky has Skal Labissiere coming in along with a New Zealand PF who committed today and Chieck Diallo is also still considering them. UA will provide Rabb the best place to start but you can never count out Calipari I guess.

Like I said, Rabb is likely gone after next season. The same was also said about Brandon Ashley, but he stayed one more year and then another due to injury.

Also, Sean Miller watched Rabb play on Friday. Probably prepared him for the slaughter that ensued the following day :D

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if McConnell keeps shooting like this UA is going to be awfully tough to beat.

The book on playing UA was back off TJ, isolate Ashley on defense and attack him. With TJ making shots now UA's offense is much better and while you can still attack Ashley(Cook last night), the defense is still really good.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
After demolishing its last 3 opponents (CAL, ORE, ORE ST) its hard to understand how UA lost to UNLV & ORE ST, granted by a combined 6 points. UA's starting 5 can match up well against any team in the nation, the issue I see is front court depth is pretty shallow with just Ristic on the bench that is a regular contributor. Hopefully the front court can stay out of foul trouble in the tournament.

TimurT1990

Rookie
Reaction score
After demolishing its last 3 opponents (CAL, ORE, ORE ST) its hard to understand how UA lost to UNLV & ORE ST, granted by a combined 6 points. UA's starting 5 can match up well against any team in the nation, the issue I see is front court depth is pretty shallow with just Ristic on the bench that is a regular contributor. Hopefully the front court can stay out of foul trouble in the tournament.

The UNLV loss came down to Stanley Johnson's selfish plays in the dying seconds of the game. Obviously there are a variety of reasons for the loss, but those last two runs of his really did us in.

The loss to Oregon St. was just downright embarrassing. When essentially every single player is having a bad day, you're bound to lose to teams like Oregon State. We made sure to remind them on Friday that our fluke will not happen again.