Bidwill Tanked this Season

BigRedMO

Registered
Reaction score
I know my opinion counts for zilch and I invite all kinds of abuse but I just have to get this off my chest. The excuse that I hear that the offense is too difficult for anyone to learn quickly is just an excuse meant to prevent questions being raised about doing nothing to address QB. The Big Red are the only team in the NFL that the offense is so complicated that you can only have a QB play in it after they have a PhD is just BS. If that is the case then the offense is too complicated. Less sophisticated offenses were more productive even when Palmer was playing. Due to possible injuries the offense needs to be made less complex but I dont buy that excuse

This reminds me of when Whiz went out and signed Anderson and had other rookie scrubs behind him. It wasnt working out and during the season Whiz wanted to go after Bulger who had been released after the season started. There was an article in the Republic how it was turned down for financial reasons. If you doubt what I say look in the archives. The punter and QB injuries both have the same MO. Both players (Lindley, Butler) were cheap alternatives. Forget Lindley for as second and the excuse the offense was too complicated to learn. Can someone seriously make an argument that there was not a punter out there better than Butler? Is the system too complex for a punter to figure out too? From observing the Bidwills for decades I have noticed that they never get overly excited or down by a single game result. It appears to me that they see all games as being equal. A game is just a game whether it be pre-season, regular season or post season. No single game requires extraordinary measures that deviate from the planned budget. By this logic a loss even if really embarrassing doesnt mean much because there will always be another game and the fans will be back.

The Cards had so little confidence in their third string guy that they went to the SD practice squad for a QB. That was a guy the Cards had cut in August. If Thomas is really this bad he needs to be gone too. Off the top of my head I can think of following names who would have played better: Grossman, Favre, Plummer, Skelton, Bulger, Hasselbeck. Cleveland offered Grossman a shot at playing the last game of season with nothing on the line just so as to give their team and fans a chance. Bidwill didnt give his team or fans a chance in the PLAYOFFS!!!!

Is is possible that Arians didnt ask for veteran help and the axe falls on him? Sure but I dont think he could have seen Lindley in practice and in games and think he had a shot with him. I think he was behaving as the good company man. I thought it was embarrassing when Bidwill let NFC Champion QB and FA Warner talk to SF. ESPN roasted the Bidwills for that one. To lay down on national TV to save a few hundred thousand dollars is the most humiliating experience as a fan that I have ever had with this team and I go back to the 70s.

Last edited:

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
I know my opinion counts for zilch and I invite all kinds of abuse but I just have to get this off my chest. The excuse that I hear that the offense is too difficult for anyone to learn quickly is just an excuse meant to prevent questions being raised about doing nothing to address QB. The Big Red are the only team in the NFL that the offense is so complicated that you can only have a QB play in it after they have a PhD is just BS. If that is the case then the offense is too complicated. Less sophisticated offenses were more productive even when Palmer was playing. Due to possible injuries the offense needs to be made less complex.

This reminds me of when Whiz went out and signed Anderson and had other rookie scrubs behind him. It wasnt working out and during the season Whiz wanted to go after Bulger who had been released after the season started. There was an article in the Republic how it was turned down for financial reasons. If you doubt what I say look in the archives. The punter and QB injuries both have the same MO. Both players (Lindley, Butler) were cheap alternatives. Forget Lindley for as second and the excuse the offesne was too complicated to learn. Can someone seriously make an argument that there was not a punter out there better than Butler? Is the system too complex for a punter to figure out too?

The Cards had so little confidence in their third string guy that they went to the SD practice squad for a QB. That was a guy the Cards had cut in August. If Thomas is really this bad he needs to be gone too. Off the top of my head I can think of following names who would have played better: Grossman, Favre, Plummer, Skelton, Bulger, Hasselbeck.

Is is possible that Arians dint ask for veteran help and the axe falls on him? Sure but I dont think he could have seen Lindley in practice and in games and think he had a shot with him. I think he was behaving as the good company man. I thought it was embarrassing when Bidwill let NFC Champion QB and FA Warner talk to SF. ESPN roasted the Bidwills for that one. To lay down on national TV to save a few hundred thousand dollars is the most humiliating experience as a fan that I have ever had with this team and I go back to the 70s.

I do buy that the offense is that complex but that offense has a history of working. I remember when Peyton Manning was hurt for the Colts and they where running the dismal Curtis Painter out there... another one of those 6th round picks and it was not pretty because it appeared he was one of the few who knew the 'system' lol

Hollywood

is part black.
Reaction score
Mesa, Arizona, USA, Planet Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
For me to even thinj about listening to this mess you will first have to answer something for me.

If the Bidwills are so cheap that they are willing to throw away a shot a being the first team to have home field in the SB (and secure a spot in the history books and all the money and publicity for it) just to save a couple hundred thousand why would they give Bowles a million dollar raise for absolutely no reason whatsoever?

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
I know my opinion counts for zilch and I invite all kinds of abuse but I just have to get this off my chest. The excuse that I hear that the offense is too difficult for anyone to learn quickly is just an excuse meant to prevent questions being raised about doing nothing to address QB. The Big Red are the only team in the NFL that the offense is so complicated that you can only have a QB play in it after they have a PhD is just BS. If that is the case then the offense is too complicated. Less sophisticated offenses were more productive even when Palmer was playing. Due to possible injuries the offense needs to be made less complex but I dont buy that excuse

This reminds me of when Whiz went out and signed Anderson and had other rookie scrubs behind him. It wasnt working out and during the season Whiz wanted to go after Bulger who had been released after the season started. There was an article in the Republic how it was turned down for financial reasons. If you doubt what I say look in the archives. The punter and QB injuries both have the same MO. Both players (Lindley, Butler) were cheap alternatives. Forget Lindley for as second and the excuse the offense was too complicated to learn. Can someone seriously make an argument that there was not a punter out there better than Butler? Is the system too complex for a punter to figure out too? From observing the Bidwills for decades I have noticed that they never get overly excited or down by a single game result. It appears to me that they see all games as being equal. A game is just a game whether it be pre-season, regular season or post season. No single game requires extraordinary measures that deviate from the planned budget. By this logic a loss even if really embarrassing doesnt mean much because there will always be another game and the fans will be back.

The Cards had so little confidence in their third string guy that they went to the SD practice squad for a QB. That was a guy the Cards had cut in August. If Thomas is really this bad he needs to be gone too. Off the top of my head I can think of following names who would have played better: Grossman, Favre, Plummer, Skelton, Bulger, Hasselbeck. Cleveland offered Grossman a shot at playing the last game of season with nothing on the line just so as to give their team and fans a chance. Bidwill didnt give his team or fans a chance in the PLAYOFFS!!!!

Is is possible that Arians didnt ask for veteran help and the axe falls on him? Sure but I dont think he could have seen Lindley in practice and in games and think he had a shot with him. I think he was behaving as the good company man. I thought it was embarrassing when Bidwill let NFC Champion QB and FA Warner talk to SF. ESPN roasted the Bidwills for that one. To lay down on national TV to save a few hundred thousand dollars is the most humiliating experience as a fan that I have ever had with this team and I go back to the 70s.

You better keep your tinfoil hat on.:barf:

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Wow, just what is going on around here.

You'd think this team just went 5-11 again. Is it because there were higher expectations that the disappointment hurt that much more?

BillsCarnage

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I agree with nothing in the OP btw except....WhyTF didn't we find another punter!!!!!!!
Same reason they stuck with Ginn, because they were BASKs' guys. And, a coach who sticks by his players will get tons of locker room cred. Of course the fault with this it can back fire and did. It would have been nice to give someone else a try at punter and returner as it could have also sparked the starter into better play.

The flip side of this is you have Arians sticking with Butler and Ginn, and getting bit in the arse, while having a proven pro-bowler wanting to make plays at WR and Arians not willing to alter his offense one bit for said WR.

Oh and the original post is utter crap.

Last edited:

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow, just what is going on around here.

You'd think this team just went 5-11 again. Is it because there were higher expectations that the disappointment hurt that much more?

I don't think so. This isn't aimed at the OP or any poster in particular but I think most of the over-the-top complaining is basically the LIFO system at work. We've all seen it many times before no matter what team or sport you follow. The last fans in are almost always the first fans out. They tend to make a lot of noise when they climb onto the bandwagon and they squeal even louder as they make their exit.

Steve

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I don't agree with the idea that the bidwills are cheap or don't care. I strongly disagree with that in fact. Michael and the old man just don't put themselves out there like jerrah and others.

However, I do think there should have been more done at the qb position. Dennis Dixon and lindley coming back was bull. If the fact that the coach can openly say that his third qb is a project and had been passed up by a guy that was cut instead of him scares me. I am trying to withhold judgement Thomas, but this smacks of throwing an old alma mater a bone in drafting him.

As for the punter. I can't believe that he had any feeling that butler would crap the bed numerous times in a playoff game but he should have held open competition for a new punter.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
I don't think so. This isn't aimed at the OP or any poster in particular but I think most of the over-the-top complaining is basically the LIFO system at work. We've all seen it many times before no matter what team or sport you follow. The last fans in are almost always the first fans out. They tend to make a lot of noise when they climb onto the bandwagon and they squeal even louder as they make their exit.

Steve

Nice post.+100.

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I think this is the same guy who just got banned on the other site. He just wants a reaction as he stated on the other site, where they deleted him and his threads plural

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe they thought Stanton would be back in 2-3 weeks. That is the same time it would take a QB to get up to speed on the new playbook.

Then the knee infection happened and that timeline was blown.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So now winning 11 games and making the playoffs is tanking the season? I would hope by tanking the season we'd get a better pick than 24 so there's that.

BillsCarnage

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
So now winning 11 games and making the playoffs is tanking the season? I would hope by tanking the season we'd get a better pick than 24 so there's that.
And "tanking" implies intent to lose. Clearly that's what this franchise did, right? ;)

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
May there be many more such tankings!

I think I am going on vacation until the draft/free agency circus begins. I'm getting a headache from all the whacky talk going on :D

don7031

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
It is legitimate to ask why Lindley and Butler were considered the answer. The team had already been down to the third string quarterback (Denver game). When the offense went into sleep mode with Stanton under center, why didn't they bring in some guys to look at them? The gripe is that they didn't appear to try.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
The only thing I think we did wrong was not find do a better guy than Lindley the second Palmer went down. I have now idea who that QB is. But we made a mistake in not trying . We had zero chance with Lindley.

AZCardsWin

Our waiting is over!
Reaction score
The only thing I think we did wrong was not find do a better guy than Lindley the second Palmer went down. I have now idea who that QB is. But we made a mistake in not trying . We had zero chance with Lindley.

I'm still stunned an Arians system veteran QB like Charlie Batch wasn't brought in. Not to mention his playoff/ big game experience being a huge plus.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
It is legitimate to ask why Lindley and Butler were considered the answer. The team had already been down to the third string quarterback (Denver game). When the offense went into sleep mode with Stanton under center, why didn't they bring in some guys to look at them? The gripe is that they didn't appear to try.

Every Tuesday, every week during the year, teams bring in players for try outs. We as the fans and even the media do not hear about all of them tryouts, they are done during closed portions of practice. If we brought in a QB for a tryout I do not know one way or the other, the point is we could have and the Cards or the players agent just didn't talk about it.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm still stunned an Arians system veteran QB like Charlie Batch wasn't brought in. Not to mention his playoff/ big game experience being a huge plus.

Charlie Batch is 40 and hasn't put on a football uniform since the 2012 season, let alone taken a snap or taken a hit.

BillsCarnage

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Batch is a valid question.

Maybe because he's 38 and hasn't played since 2012?

Maybe they called him and he had no interest?

How is this thread still going?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose