Anyone here still believe in Alex Len?

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
I disagree. His bulk up top isn't really a problem but he could really benefit from some lower body strength/bulk. If he can strengthen up to the point where he can maintain positioning without compacting down (to brace himself) I think he'll be much more valuable defensively.

Considering the training staff he's working with. I'm optimistic that the additional bulk will be good.

Neo

Red Tape Sorter
Reaction score
I disagree. His bulk up top isn't really a problem but he could really benefit from some lower body strength/bulk. If he can strengthen up to the point where he can maintain positioning without compacting down (to brace himself) I think he'll be much more valuable defensively.

I disagree with your disagreement. :)

While strength and bulk may help him defensively, the main problem is he does not know how to play basketball. Until Len learns things like where to stand on the court, his size is gonna continue to be pretty irrelevant.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
While strength and bulk may help him defensively, the main problem is he does not know how to play basketball. Until Len learns things like where to stand on the court, his size is gonna continue to be pretty irrelevant.

Yeah, that's what I was trying to get at without being too brazen about it.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:mulli:

Shot to 10 feet, quality pick and roll game, rim protection/shot blocking, solid rebounding. THATS what I want from Len, not three point shooting.

I know what you are saying. I just got caught up in the Mason Plumlee trade fantasy and needed someone to spread the court. So I turned Len into a 3 point shooter to accommodate. ;)

If Len can dominate inside the Suns will not need Mason although I like him a lot.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
It's extremely likely that he broke a lot of laws to become a billionaire, so the real situation is that a favorable relationship with the government will keep you out of prison -- not that a bad one will put you in it.

Of course, but as you know the rules are somewhat fluid there. One day a hero, the next a traitor, a fine Russian tradition.

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Among all the bigs that the Suns have ever drafted in the first rd...how many turned out to be even remotely a HIT rather than a MISS? Maybe four or five guys in 45 years of drafting? Not a very long list as it stands anyway.

Neal Walk
Greg Howard
Mike Bantom
John Shumate
Alvan Adams
Larry Nance
Ed Pinckney
William Bedford
Armon Gilliam
Anthony Cook
Jayson Williams
Oliver Miller
Malcolm Mackey
Mario Bennett
Jake Tsakalidis
Amare Stoudemire
Robin Lopez
Earl Clark
Markieff Morris
Alex Len

I'm excited to watch Len's development this season, but i'm skeptical that the Suns can identify, be willing to acquire and develop bigs with this track record...and a more recent trend that prefers the up tempo game.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And what the heck happened to Irish? He vanished.

I've been wondering the same thing especially after reading through some old threads. Too bad there is not a way to find out why long time posters disappear.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Among all the bigs that the Suns have ever drafted in the first rd...how many turned out to be even remotely a HIT rather than a MISS? Maybe four or five guys in 45 years of drafting? Not a very long list as it stands anyway.

Neal Walk
Greg Howard
Mike Bantom
John Shumate
Alvan Adams
Larry Nance
Ed Pinckney
William Bedford
Armon Gilliam
Anthony Cook
Jayson Williams
Oliver Miller
Malcolm Mackey
Mario Bennett
Jake Tsakalidis
Amare Stoudemire
Robin Lopez
Earl Clark
Markieff Morris
Alex Len

I'm excited to watch Len's development this season, but i'm skeptical that the Suns can identify, be willing to acquire and develop bigs with this track record...and a more recent trend that prefers the up tempo game.

Not sure why the history matters. It's completely different people making the decisions. I would venture to guess that given the actual positions in the draft, that this tract record is fairly typical for all teams trying to draft a big in the first round.

Unless you are just being emotional as a Suns fan and trying to guard yourself against disappointment.

SunsFan89

Reaction score
It's very early in Alex Len's career, he's still developing. I still believe in him.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score

Neal Walk
Greg Howard
Mike Bantom
John Shumate
Alvan Adams
Larry Nance
Ed Pinckney
William Bedford
Armon Gilliam
Anthony Cook
Jayson Williams
Oliver Miller
Malcolm Mackey
Mario Bennett
Jake Tsakalidis
Amare Stoudemire
Robin Lopez
Earl Clark
Markieff Morris
Alex Len

All of those guys except the last 4 were done under a Colangelo -- and only one was drafted under the current regime. I don't believe in curses, but it is wrong to equate the drafting of Armon Gilliam to Alex Len, IMO. The team itself isn't a drafting entity, so this "track record" you refer to isn't even real.

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Not sure why the history matters. It's completely different people making the decisions. I would venture to guess that given the actual positions in the draft, that this tract record is fairly typical for all teams trying to draft a big in the first round.

Unless you are just being emotional as a Suns fan and trying to guard yourself against disappointment.

All of those guys except the last 4 were done under a Colangelo -- and only one was drafted under the current regime. I don't believe in curses, but it is wrong to equate the drafting of Armon Gilliam to Alex Len, IMO. The team itself isn't a drafting entity, so this "track record" you refer to isn't even real.
Of course it's real. :lol:

In other words, you don't want to discuss it because it doesn't sit well with you? Or you just don't interpret that list for what it is?

It IS a track record of this team. A team that has had only two different primary owners and only six different GM's in 46 years(two of those were father and son, while the other four have combined for seven years total service). It's a culture that is passed on from season to season.

The Suns are now, and forever have been a guard-oriented team. We've had the best of the best...are always stockpiling talent there, and that hasn't changed. Whether or not you as a fan think that's been a problem or not isn't my point. My point is that is that when you objectively step back and look at the Suns history of drafting and basketball culture...the PF/C position has been largely ignored,addressed in a half-assed way or failed.

Tell you what, i'll do all the research. Give me any three other NBA teams(besides Golden St) and lets compare them.

Last edited:

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I thought he looked much, much better in scrimmage today. Not a lot to his post game yet but he looked like he finally belongs in the NBA and he actually knew what was going on.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score

In other words, you don't want to discuss it because it doesn't sit well with you? Or you just don't interpret that list for what it is?

It IS a track record of this team. A team that has had only two different primary owners and only six different GM's in 46 years(two of those were father and son, while the other four have combined for seven years total service). It's a culture that is passed on from season to season.

The Suns are now, and forever have been a guard-oriented team. We've had the best of the best...are always stockpiling talent there, and that hasn't changed. Whether or not you as a fan think that's been a problem or not isn't my point. My point is that is that when you objectively step back and look at the Suns history of drafting and basketball culture...the PF/C position has been largely ignored,addressed in a half-assed way or failed.

Tell you what, i'll do all the research. Give me any three other NBA teams(besides Golden St) and lets compare them.

A track record for who? I don't get how you think this is some pattern that defines the Suns when the first 20 picks were one regime, the next 4 were completely different. Assuming the new regime will pick the same way for the next 40 years is ridiculous. McD has only been with the team for one year, and the Suns' "track record" of bad big man drafting won't change? How do you come up with that?

The Suns don't pick who we draft--the guys we hired/owners do. And since the hired guns now are completely different than even 2 years ago, that track record is moot.

Errntknght

Reaction score
One thing I didn't see from Len was slapping at the ball when he was defending like he was wont to do last year. He might get credited with fewer blocks just keeping his arms straight up but he will bother lots of shots and not get called for as many fouls. His court awareness seemed somewhat better on defense though when he helped he tended to stay with it too long. On offense he made passes in a better rhythm - nothing great but he did seem to know where to send it.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

The only team you can come close to getting an idea of how the Suns will draft is looking at Boston while McD was there. I've heard he was a big proponent in them acquiring Rondo, from us ironically, and he was a part of their player development/scouting. So if you want to research another teams history to get an idea of what the Suns future drafts may look like then pull Boston's picks from the time McD was there.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
He's really come along well this season.

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What I love about Len is that he isn't just an offensive minded big man. 5 blocks last night. That is huge. In a close game down the stretch, that can be the difference between a W and an L

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What I love about Len is that he isn't just an offensive minded big man. 5 blocks last night. That is huge. In a close game down the stretch, that can be the difference between a W and an L

And he altered even more shots than he blocked. There's a lot to like about him. Like Cleveland, I would have taken Bennett over Len. I suspect Cleveland regrets that decision although with the Love deal I guess it's not a big deal for them. Just think, a few months ago he was being viewed, nationally and locally, as a bust. At this rate, in a couple of years he'll be 10 feet tall and a lock to make the NBA 70 at 70 team.:)

Steve

hafey2

Rookie
Reaction score
I was curious just how good Len's play has been this year at his young age. So I just did a quick search on basketball reference for players 6'10 and taller with block% above 5 and WS/48 above .125 in their age 20-21 season. It's a very interesting list.

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm beyond stoked at his progression so far this season.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave