Key Phrase in Urban's Latest Propaganda Piece

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It happens all the time in the NFL. Want some examples?

- Matt Leinart vs. Jay Cutler
- Levi Brown vs. Adrian Peterson
- Kevin Kolb vs. other available quarterbacks (including Matt Hasselback)
- Cutting vs. keeping Kerry Rhodes and Adrian Wilson

It's difficult to believe that of the dozens of personnel moves that take place over the course of a single offseason, every one of them are reached with complete consensus and equanimity. It's absolutely pertinent, because the decisions that the parties are passionate about are frequently the ones that have the most impact on a franchise or business.

You had to go through 5 years to get 4 transactions. I don't think that is very often. And you don't have any idea of how much help these transactions would be to this team. I happen to think the coaching was most of the problem with this team. I am not sure these players would have been handled in a way to get maximum production out of them. Would we have won more games? Depends on how they were being coached. Would our Oline have been any better? Might have been worse without Levi. All of our QB's might have looked better with a decent Oline.

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Urban works for the team. Jureki doesn't. Call me crazy, but I'd give more weight to the guy who works for the team then the guy on the outside, especially when the subject isn't overly controversial.

It still doesn't make it a fact. It's only an opinion.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It still doesn't make it a fact. It's only an opinion.

you're right... but it's an opinion that doesn't have carry as much weight because the source you're using (Jurecki) isn't on the inside of the team like an employee of the team like Urban. and that was the question you posed which i responded to ("Does that mean if I use Jurecki, it will have the same weight as Urban does?")

I freely admit, I have no idea who has final say in all these transactions. i just know I was all for getting rid of Kolb/Bradley, dislike a few of them (getting rid of Rhodes) and have been unimpressed by most of the FA picks outside of Powers.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whaaaaa?? You mean the GM is well, being a GM?? I know, I know, it is weird for us as Cards fans, but this is how it is done.

Coaches coach, GMs get them the talent they need. Coaches and GMs talk, and coaches tell them what they desire to run their system/be successful. Sometimes, a really good coach tries to do both jobs and most often fails at both in the process.

Keim is the GM, and he is NOT a yes man like Graves was. This is good. This I like. This means you have accountability, finally. We are starting to run like a golly darned for reallies really really NFL franchise. Yikes!

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
When Urban confirms that Keim is "reshaping the roster to his vision" and the Caridinals organizational structure has both a college scouting dept and a professional scouting dept is becomes less of what I "want" and more of what is deemed as fact. I guess you could speculate that Arians has more say on FAs than Keim's professional scouting dept, but I would question why would that be so when Arians can only speak to the handful of players he or his staff have experience with, and Keim's pro scounting dept scouts the entire league. Again, I am sure that Keim will reach out to coaches who have experience with players Keim might bring in, but for the most part, he has to trust his pro scouts because that is what he is paying them to do.

What I am stating is the facts that are available to us fans support my view of the front office than yours because you can't show any facts that support your arguement while I can. I can site Urban's words and our organizational chart while you offer only speculation.

So we go from the thread title saying how much propaganda Urban is spewing to him being the cardinals fact machine? Urban probably gets lied to more than anyone because he would be the guy the cardinals leak false reports to to get it into the media. He is the guy to say I am hearing the Cards like Geno just to throw teams off the trail so it starts a bidding war. The last sentence was hypothetical but I think you guys know what Im getting at.

I like the way this team has changed and I dont care if it was all Keim(which I doubt) or a collaborative effort of Keim,MB,Arians, and the OC and DC. It is better than sitting on our hands and hoping kolb gets better or AW learns how to cover someone, we are changing with no prejudice to contract or tenure. Rhodes was a grossly overpaid safety who while good will not affect whether we win 5 or 3 or 7 games next year. Whether it works or not is still to be seen, but I believe if we could get a Carson Palmer or Geno Smith this team could fight with seattle not necessarily SF.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
So according to you it is the same old Cardinals and they haven't been making an attempt to better this team? I find it hard to believe anyone thinks that way after MB took over.

I get you 40 you've been writing the same things for 10 years. You don't care if the Cards win or lose or if they make money as long as they try hard they're doing everything right and you are happy.

4-9-1 in 1962, 4-9-1 in 1972, 4-12 in 1992, 5-11 in 2002, 5-11 in 2012.

Looks like the same old Cards to me. :)

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whaaaaa?? You mean the GM is well, being a GM?? I know, I know, it is weird for us as Cards fans, but this is how it is done.

Coaches coach, GMs get them the talent they need. Coaches and GMs talk, and coaches tell them what they desire to run their system/be successful. Sometimes, a really good coach tries to do both jobs and most often fails at both in the process.

Keim is the GM, and he is NOT a yes man like Graves was. This is good. This I like. This means you have accountability, finally. We are starting to run like a golly darned for reallies really really NFL franchise. Yikes!

LOL and :yeahthat:.

Steve

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

:thumbup:

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I get you 40 you've been writing the same things for 10 years. You don't care if the Cards win or lose or if they make money as long as they try hard they're doing everything right and you are happy.

4-9-1 in 1962, 4-9-1 in 1972, 4-12 in 1992, 5-11 in 2002, 5-11 in 2012.

Looks like the same old Cards to me. :)

I recognize the difference between this team and the old Cardinals. We have more talent and are only a few players (or some really good coaching) away from having a winning team. The team itself is deciding which players go and which we keep. Quite a turnaround from when as soon as a players first contract was up, he was out of here on the first bus. I would have kept Wilson, but for sentimental value, not that he is the best we could get at that position. When you are trying to change the direction a team is going, you need a lot of new players.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
I recognize the difference between this team and the old Cardinals. We have more talent and are only a few players (or some really good coaching) away from having a winning team.

Talk is cheap, show us don't tell us.

Matt L

formerly known as mattyboy
Reaction score
On the current roster, I count 7 players who were drafted by us and then signed to a second contract:
Daryl Washington 2nd Round
Lyle Sendlein Undrafted
Rashad Johnson 3rd Round
Larry Fitzgerald 1st Round
Darnell Docket 3rd Round
Calais Campbell 2nd Round
Levi Brown 1st Round
I honestly do wonder how this compares to other teams in the NFL

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
I actually post on this board to get people's opnions that vary from mine. That is how I see things from angles that make me review my own. My issue is that it seems your posts are increasingly more about K9 as a poster and less about your difference in the matter being discussed. IMO this takes from your value as a poster on this board.

In short, I would prefer to hear you interpretation of Urban's artice rather than your thoughts on why K9 is posting it and how you feel it futhers his agenda.

See Post #53 and #54.

I agree with Cbus and Ddogg. That's all I got. Much ado about nothing.

OP
OP
kerouac9

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

Depends on the team. San Francisco and Seattle don't have a ton of players on second contracts, because the prior regimes were removed, and the players drafted by the original regime haven't perfected their contracts yet.

A good-drafting team like the Colts from a couple of years ago only had five or six players that had been with the team more than a half-dozen years, but they cost so much money as franchise-type players that there wasn't money to spend on veterans that the team still liked.

There are a lot of mediocre teams who keep re-signing players that they know because it helps sell tickets and the coaching or scouting staff is terrified to admit they were wrong in an evaluation (Carolina would be a great example).

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On the current roster, I count 7 players who were drafted by us and then signed to a second contract:
Daryl Washington 2nd Round
Lyle Sendlein Undrafted
Rashad Johnson 3rd Round
Larry Fitzgerald 1st Round
Darnell Docket 3rd Round
Calais Campbell 2nd Round
Levi Brown 1st Round

A very good point and one of the reasons this ain't the same old Cardinals.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been saying for a while that Arians has little control over the makeup of this roster and the personnel moves being made by the front office. As much as the propaganda arm is a reflection of the operations within Hardy Drive, this seems to be the case.

Don't get to used to Bruce Arians and his Kangol hats; I don't expect him to be around long with the "weapons" he's being given by the front office. It won't be his fault.

Let's say that the team's offense improves slightly in 2013 and declines slightly on defense. We end up with the same record against a tough schedule. 5-11.

Next year we get a quarterback, but he struggles as rookies tend to do, especially against a strong division. 6-10.

Arians goes on the hot seat in 2015, the winter of the Cards will have 5 important pending free agents, including Patrick Peterson.

http://www.spotrac.com/free-agents/nfl/2015/arizona-cardinals/
Bump

wa52lz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
My favorite lines from this post....

-Jury is still out on Keim, but I for one hated keeping him.

-This team is built for an at best 7-9 right now. Rhodes isn't changing that.

-But the bad to mediocre players that we've drafted in the last four or five years? That's all on Keim.

-2015? I expect him to be fired within in 2 years tops..

-I recognize the difference between this team and the old Cardinals. We have more talent and are only a few players (or some really good coaching) away from having a winning team. The team itself is deciding which players go and which we keep. Quite a turnaround from when as soon as a players first contract was up, he was out of here on the first bus. I would have kept Wilson, but for sentimental value, not that he is the best we could get at that position. When you are trying to change the direction a team is going, you need a lot of new players.

OP
OP
kerouac9

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
What a fun bump. Thanks for putting this out there on a #TBT.

I think that Arians had a say on the minimum-salary guys that came in, and almost no say in the talented players that we let leave. It's difficult to believe that Arians would have okayed letting two very talented players like Kerry Rhodes and Adrian Wilson leave and replacing them with a has-been and a never was in Yeremiah Bell and Rashad Johnson.

Notice that there's nothing that says that Arians or Bowles are high on Rashard Johnson--in fact, the silence for Todd Bowles about the transformation of this defense has been deafening--but tons of quotes from Steve Keim saying that he was really impressed with how Rhodes played down the stretch.

It's likely that Johnson was a pick endoresed by Keim, and he's doubling down on a draft pick that has severely underperformed expectations.

I do think that cheese is being unfair in putting the onus of bad first-round picks on Keim. He shares that responsibility with Whis and Graves, and the majority of the blame for first-round picks lies with the head coach.

But the bad to mediocre players that we've drafted in the last four or five years? That's all on Keim.

I was pretty wrong about Rashard Johnson. It's staggering how long it took the light to come on for him.

Cards got rid of two good, expensive players, and then added three cheap players Arians have relationships with.

It's like selling off your kid's iPad but letting him choose his own Tamagotchi.

I like this post a lot.

:D Those posts were made 32 minutes apart. I think that even I am capable of holding a consistent position on an actual either/or proposition for the time it takes to cook a chicken breast.

And this one.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Love these bumps. Its like jumping in the Deloran and traveling back in time with Doc! :D

Vermont Maverick

Registered
Reaction score
I love the ABSOLUTE, black and white K9 viewpoint regarding Arians future BEFORE he even coached one game! Quick, someone find the knee jerk reaction thread about the Bowles hiring, and what a mistake that was

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson