2014 Arizona Basketball

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Final Four or bust.

Time for Miller to get over the Elite 8 hump. He has the talent and depth to do so.

jw7

Woof!
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Insane talent.

They better do it this year. Stanley Johnson is a one and done.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Insane talent.

They better do it this year. Stanley Johnson is a one and done.

Agreed but we'll be similarly talented as long as Miller is there. His recruiting keeps getting better and better.

People don't realize that as much as Miller has won in his career, he's been a couple buckets away from even more success. He's had five heartbreaking last shot NCAA losses in his career.

Last edited:

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Just keep guys healthy and talent and coaching will get us there. Should have been NC last year.

Iceman

Administrator
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Miller has done a fantastic job as HC. Yes, I agree about last year- should have been National Champs. That Wisconsin game was one of the best games to watch on how it went back and forth. I am an asu fan, but I like see u of a to win too (besides against asu obviously). Football and college basketball are by far my favorite things to watch!

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Saw the Red Blue game on Pac 12 net, Ristic can play, has a very nice hook shot, he's slow but if you give him position he will score. Victor had a real nice offensive game and a real bad defensive game, typical freshman stuff. PJC was completely overwhelmed by McConnell, couldn't do a thing against him his only good play the whole game he scored on Jacob Hazzard, looks way too weak right now but it's early. Kadeem Allen not very impressive although he did hit a jumper which is allegedly his weakness.

Rondae looks great, preseason favorite POY in the conference. Stanley couldn't score against rondae then ate up Allen, looked really good. McConnell was very good. York looks better but still not that good, Pitts was surprisingly not very good I expected him to surpass York this year. Ashley was pretty rusty they said they are still limiting his minutes with the foot, so if Ristic and Victor are for real that bodes well for resting Ashley.

Certainly not as talented and deep as UK but you can only play 5 at a time and most teams don't play more than 8. UA looks to have a very good top 5 the question is how much they will get from the bench,

Mrh182

Jai Guru Deva OM
Reaction score
Kadeem Allen to possibly redshirt??

Quiet thread lately... anyone that saw the scrimmage worried at all about the slow start and poor shooting?

TJ

Reaction score
Kadeem Allen to possibly redshirt??

Quiet thread lately... anyone that saw the scrimmage worried at all about the slow start and poor shooting?

Allen will redshirt. Too many cooks in the kitchen at his position. Though it doesn't get much better the following season.

And no, it's been one exhibition game. Not concerned.

Mrh182

Jai Guru Deva OM
Reaction score
It was interesting seeing York get the starting nod. So assuming Johnson starts with TJ/Ashley/Tarc/RHJ -- I wonder if he will be the first guy off the bench assuming we don't go big in the lineup.

ProdigalSun

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
This game against St. Mary's has been sloppy so far. They need to practice on their free throw shooting...

TJ

Reaction score
More of the same from last year. Defense and chemistry will carry this team. Main difference is a healthy Brandon Ashley, who dominated. Think Stanley comes around when he stops forcing shots.

FT shooting still trash. Thought Gordon left.

TimurT1990

Rookie
Reaction score
We managed to beat Kansas State 72-68 in the semi-finals of the Maui Invitational. The victory was far too scrappy for my liking. I'm not sure if anyone else feels this way, but something seems off with our team this year.

In any case, we're 5-0.

BEAR DOWN!

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We managed to beat Kansas State 72-68 in the semi-finals of the Maui Invitational. The victory was far too scrappy for my liking. I'm not sure if anyone else feels this way, but something seems off with our team this year.

In any case, we're 5-0.

BEAR DOWN!

I think the biggest thing that is "off" is we're probably expecting the Cats to play like a number 2 (or number 3) team and we're just not that good (yet). We've been recruiting well but it's rare for a team to say goodbye to it's two best players and not miss a beat. The improvement of Brandon Ashley and Rondae H-J will help as the season wears on but we're likely to struggle until Stanley grows into the star he's projected to be. Right now, he's nowhere near enough to replace even the loss of Nick Johnson let alone Gordon. We saw a lot of zone last year, it's looking like we'll see even more this season. Stanley hopefully will become our zone buster.

Steve

TimurT1990

Rookie
Reaction score
Right now, he's nowhere near enough to replace even the loss of Nick Johnson let alone Gordon.

I'd agree, but I see stars in Stanley Johnson's eyes. He's sure to keep improving. He led our scoring tonight with 18 points; although it's worth mentioning that most of his points were from the free throw line.

We beat SDSU 61-59 to win the Maui Invitational. We remain undefeated. 6-0!

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd agree, but I see stars in Stanley Johnson's eyes. He's sure to keep improving. He led our scoring tonight with 18 points; although it's worth mentioning that most of his points were from the free throw line.

We beat SDSU 61-59 to win the Maui Invitational. We remain undefeated. 6-0!

Absolutely. I don't think it's "if", it's "when" with him. Tonight was a nice step forward. And one of his strengths is his ability to get to the free throw line.

Steve

TJ

Reaction score
So I guess the biggest game for the school this week is tonight's matchup against Gardner-Webb?

TimurT1990

Rookie
Reaction score
Yea, we've got pretty weak competition tonight. However, you won't hear me complaining. Small games are perfect for ironing out the wrinkles in this team.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA