Sources say Torn ACL for Palmer - Out for the Season

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
He's got 8 months to training camp. He will be back. Mobility has never been a huge part of his game. He should have "functional mobility" by the time August rolls around.

He needs his legs, as much as his arm and shoulder to throw deep with accuracy, though...Not just about mobility.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Many things working against Palmer, this time around....2nd time to the same knee...he's now 34, not 26ish...oh, and he didn't play really well when he came back from that first one...It took him some time, even then, to get his game back.

This. Assuming he'll be fine by the start if next season is nuts.

Jay Cardinal

Die Hard Cardinals Fan
Reaction score
He did not say anything bad and was rather supportive of the reality of the situation in my opinion. Palmer has had problems in the playoffs and all he is saying was though it stinks Palmer is hurt (which he and myself and many others wish was not the case and Palmer was alright), he is only questioning how bad it really does affect our chances. It is a legit opinion that actually struggles to find some silver lining in this... and I still think we can win with Stanton, though I too wish Palmer was still under center despite his past history :)

I guess i come from a completely different background where talking poorly about a player during a season ending injury is frowned upon. Not really sure what the badmouthing is hoping to acheive. Despite his shortcomings, Carson was awesome this year and i am proud to call him a Cardinal.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
This. Assuming he'll be fine by the start if next season is nuts.

My fear is not whether or not he will be back, I think he will if he wants to. That is it, at his age with a family, will he want to expose his body to any more injuries with the his current situation... the dreaded 'retire' word is slightly in my head, and by no means do I think Palmer is a quitter

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
******** the Rams.

@mikejurecki: Last year Tyrann Mathieu tore ACL & MCL against the Rams, and now the Cardinals fear Carson Palmer has a torn ACL. (MRI tomorrow)

And Leinart's collarbone in, what, 2007? That was the real beginning of his end.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Damn this sucks. I bet if Arians had his choice, he'd rather the Cardinals have lost this game to the Rams than lose Palmer for the season.

Stanton is decent but I don't think he'll be able to hold up when the competition thickens. He was exposed against the Broncos defense and I expect that to continue when the Cardinals play elite teams.

They should be able to beat bad/mediocre teams still though.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
They reported on the Morning Drive this AM that he has a torn MCL. Gone for the season.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Damn this sucks. I bet if Arians had his choice, he'd rather the Cardinals have lost this game to the Rams than lose Palmer for the season.

Stanton is decent but I don't think he'll be able to hold up when the competition thickens. He was exposed against the Broncos defense and I expect that to continue when the Cardinals play elite teams.

With 10 or so drops against Denver, in fact, it was our W/O's that were "exposed".

speedy

the medic
Reaction score
Many things working against Palmer, this time around....2nd time to the same knee...he's now 34, not 26ish...oh, and he didn't play really well when he came back from that first one...It took him some time, even then, to get his game back.

That was a bit of a different deal tho. He had to overcome the mental aspect and regain his pocket poise. Remember how he got injured? Ya, that was some nasty stuff. I would imagine trying to get that out of your mind/overcome that fear would delay how quickly one would get comfortable in the offense

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That was a bit of a different deal tho. He had to overcome the mental aspect and regain his pocket poise. Remember how he got injured? Ya, that was some nasty stuff. I would imagine trying to get that out of your mind/overcome that fear would delay how quickly one would get comfortable in the offense

And it was both his ACL and MCL in 2005.

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score

It was a 4 point game when Stanton went down.

Don't see how Stanton was exposed against the Broncos.

Cards need to improve the running game and they will be fine on offense. That is true with either Palmer or Stanton.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Backup QBs can thrive in small-sample-size environments when teams don't have enough film to pick them apart.

CF: John Skelton's rookie year, Kevin Kolb's start with the Cards (and his career of sporadic appearances), Nick Foles with the Eagles, Josh McCown with the Bears.

There's a window here for Stanton to be just good and unknown enough to be successful for 10 games, particularly with this defense behind him (we're getting Matt Shaugnessey back eventually). The problem would be next year, but hopefully Palmer can come back by then.

We have to do something about the backup QB position. Logan Thomas is Less Than Zero.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Backup QBs can thrive in small-sample-size environments when teams don't have enough film to pick them apart.

CF: John Skelton's rookie year, Kevin Kolb's start with the Cards (and his career of sporadic appearances), Nick Foles with the Eagles, Josh McCown with the Bears.

There's a window here for Stanton to be just good and unknown enough to be successful for 10 games, particularly with this defense behind him (we're getting Matt Shaugnessey back eventually). The problem would be next year, but hopefully Palmer can come back by then.

We have to do something about the backup QB position. Logan Thomas is Less Than Zero.

Good point K9. Also agree with Thomas. If Stanton ever goes down season over. I would be surprised if anyone other than Dixon is brought back simply due to familiarity with the offense.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Good point K9. Also agree with Thomas. If Stanton ever goes down season over. I would be surprised if anyone other than Dixon is brought back simply due to familiarity with the offense.

That's just it though, if Stanton goes down, can you trust in DD or LT to win you games? I don't think so. I don't think BA will want to give up on the season if Stanton goes down, so I think(hope) they go for a better FA QB as in maybe Freeman or Grossmen(yes I said it). The reason they threw DD in there was that they knew it was going to be temporary. CP could be done for the season, so they need someone that will be there for the whole year and they can count on Stanton to be playing enough to give the new FA QB time to learn the system.

Hollywood

is part black.
Reaction score
Mesa, Arizona, USA, Planet Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
That's just it though, if Stanton goes down, can you trust in DD or LT to win you games? I don't think so. I don't think BA will want to give up on the season if Stanton goes down, so I think(hope) they go for a better FA QB as in maybe Freeman or Grossmen(yes I said it). The reason they threw DD in there was that they knew it was going to be temporary. CP could be done for the season, so they need someone that will be there for the whole year and they can count on Stanton to be playing enough to give the new FA QB time to learn the system.

Anyone not at least familiar with the system won't be able to learn it in a few weeks. In that case it won't matter who you have back there. I believe Dixon is the choice.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

You're stuck with what you have. Look at how long it took Orton to get adapted to the Buffalo offense or Ryan Mallett to get on-board.

I'd be excited about the prospect of Rex Grossman as an Arians QB. He excelled in the touchdown/checkdown system with Florida and briefly with the Bears. He's like a homeless man's Drew Stanton.

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Deja vu' all over again! This is like a repeat of the thread when CP had his nerve injury :)

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Lets wait till we get a confirmed report. I see the tea leaves, just want to see an official MRI.

Either way this team can still win. Now how big can they win? Not sure just yet. Need more info.

I will say this. The offense seems to be less streaky with Stanton. Its not like we were setting the world on fire offensively last 3 games. Would stop and start. And for whatever reason are TEs seem to play better with Stanton.

All is not lost. Next man up. Quit being SOF because this isnt SOC.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

right but why do u use his pic for your avatar?:D

Last edited: