Doug & Wolf

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
But come on the guy talks like he was an all pro player. He was a scrub on bad teams and. "

A SCRUB? That scrub was selected 4 times to the pro bowl as the special teams captain. If memory serves me I would say the dude was more than pretty good. He was tough as nails and would do anything the coach ask him to do. He would sacrifice his body to make a play. He was a bad man!!!

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
A SCRUB? That scrub was selected 4 times to the pro bowl as the special teams captain. If memory serves me I would say the dude was more than pretty good. He was tough as nails and would do anything the coach ask him to do. He would sacrifice his body to make a play. He was a bad man!!!
Agree.

Not too many "scrubs", (unless you're about the 12th alternate at QB like Alex Smith) are named to the pro bowl, especially 4 times.

Capital Card

The Kobayashi of Kool-Aid
Reaction score
This morning, while talking about the Seattle Percy Harvin fight with Golden Tate before the Superbowl... Doug said he hated it when two employees couldn't work out their differences like men. A not so veiled comment on his and Wolf's situation.

I get how some people think Wolf's act wears thin. Being out here on the East Coast, I still find it refreshing to listen to someone who bleeds Cardinal Red as much as I do.

Go Cards!!!

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
Later when they were talking about Marshall being unhappy with Cutler, Wolf was on one of his rants about how it is a big deal and that he himself had only gotten into confrontations with teammates 3 times in his ten year career...

...to which Doug said (without missing a beat), "And once last week."

They both had a good chuckle and moved on.

Then after that, they played Marshall talking to the press, repeating "Unacceptable" over and over. Doug said it sounded like one of their show meetings last week. Wolf didn't say anything about that one.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Later when they were talking about Marshall being unhappy with Cutler, Wolf was on one of his rants about how it is a big deal and that he himself had only gotten into confrontations with teammates 3 times in his ten year career...

...to which Doug said (without missing a beat), "And once last week."

They both had a good chuckle and moved on.

Then after that, they played Marshall talking to the press, repeating "Unacceptable" over and over. Doug said it sounded like one of their show meetings last week. Wolf didn't say anything about that one.

I am starting to get the feeling it might have been staged for ratings.

jw7

Woof!
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've switched my radio habits to Mike&Mike on ESPN.

Can't stand Doug "What (insert phrase here). That's next on Arizona Sports 98.7."

Fingernails down the chalkboard annoying.

Dave Burns is annoying as well. I miss Mark Asher.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score

Can't stand Doug "What (insert phrase here). That's next on Arizona Sports 98.7."

I can't do Mike and Mike. Golic is just like Wolf, and I like my homerism about the Cards and not Notre Dame.

Greenberg is just a wussier version of Doug.

I miss Asher too.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
cannot stand mike and mike, feel like im watching a bad parody of a SNL da bears skit.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score

I can't do Mike and Mike. Golic is just like Wolf, and I like my homerism about the Cards and not Notre Dame.

Greenberg is just a wussier version of Doug.

I miss Asher too.

These... Having grown up and spent the first 34 years of my life in the NY market, I was spoiled when it came to sports talk... I can assure everyone that Dave Burns and Doug are the absolute worst radio hosts EVER! They would be mere pages back in NY and would never have even the most remote chance of getting on air! They are brutally bad!
In the valley, the only legit (and I use that term loosely) sports talk talent are Vince, Bickley (who I can't stand!) and maybe Gambo (who is more of a comedy act than anything else)... Wolf could have potential, if only in a limited, abbreviated capacity...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brian

PANEM ET CIRCENSES
Reaction score
These... Having grown up and spent the first 34 years of my life in the NY market, I was spoiled when it came to sports talk... I can assure everyone that Dave Burns and Doug are the absolute worst radio hosts EVER! They would be mere pages back in NY and would never have even the most remote chance of getting on air! They are brutally bad!
In the valley, the only legit (and I use that term loosely) sports talk talent are Vince, Bickley (who I can't stand!) and maybe Gambo (who is more of a comedy act than anything else)... Wolf could have potential, if only in a limited, abbreviated capacity...

Dave and Doug are idiots.

I always tend to side with Wolf, but only because I have met him and talked with him so many times. It's to the point now that he remembers me and greets me by name. Have met his family multiple times as well. Great people. Ron is a genuine nice guy.

Vince I grew up with and was friends with in grade school. I have no idea why he's a Yankee fan. I've even called him on the radio and asked him about it. He spent his childhood here in the valley so I don't get it.

Gambo is funny, but I hate his N.Y. homerism. Every time they have Tim Kurkjian on, they will discuss the D-Backs and inevitably Gambo will start asking questions about the yankees. I start yelling at the radio "nobody here cares Gambo!". Hate it. You want to talk yankees so much, move back to New York.

Bickley is just as bad about chicago. Stop talking about the Bears and the Cubs. Nobody here cares.

I've met Bob Kemp a couple of times, nice guy, and at least on his show he keeps it primarily Arizona sports. Which is what I want from an Arizona sports radio program.

Darren Urban, met him too. Douche. Maybe not, but at least when I met him he was.

Kent Somers is a cool dude. Very friendly.

Coolest/friendliest of the bunch is Mike Bauer. Sat down at the Ice Den with me and my family and talked sports for 45 minutes. Really nice, down to earth guy.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Dave and Doug are idiots.

I always tend to side with Wolf, but only because I have met him and talked with him so many times. It's to the point now that he remembers me and greets me by name. Have met his family multiple times as well. Great people. Ron is a genuine nice guy.

Vince I grew up with and was friends with in grade school. I have no idea why he's a Yankee fan. I've even called him on the radio and asked him about it. He spent his childhood here in the valley so I don't get it.

Gambo is funny, but I hate his N.Y. homerism. Every time they have Tim Kurkjian on, they will discuss the D-Backs and inevitably Gambo will start asking questions about the yankees. I start yelling at the radio "nobody here cares Gambo!". Hate it. You want to talk yankees so much, move back to New York.

Bickley is just as bad about chicago. Stop talking about the Bears and the Cubs. Nobody here cares.

I've met Bob Kemp a couple of times, nice guy, and at least on his show he keeps it primarily Arizona sports. Which is what I want from an Arizona sports radio program.

Darren Urban, met him too. Douche. Maybe not, but at least when I met him he was.

Kent Somers is a cool dude. Very friendly.

Coolest/friendliest of the bunch is Mike Bauer. Sat down at the Ice Den with me and my family and talked sports for 45 minutes. Really nice, down to earth guy.

Agree with just about all of this... Wolf goes my church and I see the type of person he is away from the mic... They don't come anymore genuine and real than Wolf. Sometimes reality is a bit hard to accept for some... But Wolf is who he is...always. And I respect him greatly for that.

Reaction score
Agree with just about all of this... Wolf goes my church and I see the type of person he is away from the mic... They don't come anymore genuine and real than Wolf. Sometimes reality is a bit hard to accept for some... But Wolf is who he is...always. And I respect him greatly for that.
I think some people don't realize this about Ron Wolfley - His on air persona is not an act or a bit, it's just Wolfley being himself.

And yeah, he has taken a few too many hits to the noggin! :thud:I like the guy, and don't mind listening to him at all.

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I have listened to about every local sports talk show through the years going way back to The Sports Nutz, Arnie Spanier, Tim Liotta (sp?), etc., etc.

The current batch are mostly horrible, either both hosts (Doug and Wolf and Burns and Gambo) or one of them (the new guy Jody with Jurecki). Jurecki is only tolerable when talking football. Bauer, to me, adds NOTHING to the show and is annoying.

KTAR with Doug, Burns and Calvisi are the ultimate worst to me. I still think it's the SAME guy and he just changes his name every show. Just pathetic.

Local sports talk here in the valley is a wasteland IMO. The worst part is that it seems there is about 5 minutes of talk and 55 minutes of commercials every hour. But, that may be a blessing sparing the listeners having to listen to the crappy show :)

Not to say that some, if not all, may be good peeps in real life, I don't know any of them. But, it (sports talk radio) just isn't worth listening to to me. I'd rather listen to toons on Spotify or my ITunes mix.

Love sports but it seems it's more about the hosts trying to be funny or controversial over the actual sports. Trying to get the "scoop" over the other guys leads to ridiculous rumors and outright lies sometimes (hello Gambo). Like some have mentioned the love for out of market teams is really disgusting.

My favorite show was Vinny and Skinny, they seemed to keep on sports more than most have done. But, it wasn't long lived at all.

I like Chuck Powell because he is actually funny but his heart obviously isn't sports talk.

I think Wolfley's genuine nice guy aspect does come through, he just is better suited to be a WWE announcer than talk show host.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Agree.

Not too many "scrubs", (unless you're about the 12th alternate at QB like Alex Smith) are named to the pro bowl, especially 4 times.

Well in today's game many guys get elected, which makes the game even more a sham than it already is :D

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score

Agree.

Wolf was pretty damn good at what he did. Nasty player who brought it every play. I guess he thinks Bill Bates & Tasker sucked too;)

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Agree.

Wolf was pretty damn good at what he did. Nasty player who brought it every play. I guess he thinks Bill Bates & Tasker sucked too;)

I still believe he was a great short yardage back as well for us... hard to remember much though, when the seasons where strewn with mediocrity lol

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I still believe he was a great short yardage back as well for us... hard to remember much though, when the seasons where strewn with mediocrity lol

:confused:

82 attempts with 2 TDs over 7 years with the Cardinals... not what I would call "great" even for the lousy teams of '85 - '91! :)

...dbs

Mrh182

Jai Guru Deva OM
Reaction score
Not sure if anyone caught it... but today both on the Jim Rome show and Howard Stern they played a clip of this and discussed it.

National attention for 2 on air's almost coming to blows.. what does the station do?

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
"Seriously, you don't ever say that to me!!!!!"

Wow this is way better than I thought it would be, Wolf thought about punching him, probably still does.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave