Castle (ABC)

OP
OP
ActingWild

ActingWild

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I know exactly what you're saying. Beckett is dead and her long lost twin will transfer in from L.A. to take her place.

Steve

There you go, ruining it for us! (although, you did at least use a spoiler)

:)

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
So I decided to give the season opener a try. I rolled my eyes and sighed more times than I can count. When it got to the
But, but, amnesia!
, I stopped and deleted the episode. Oh, Castle, how much of a hash can you make of a great television show? It jumped the shark with the DC move, had a few poorly to horrifically written episodes, and just never recovered.

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I decided to give the season opener a try. I rolled my eyes and sighed more times than I can count. When it got to the
But, but, amnesia!
, I stopped and deleted the episode. Oh, Castle, how much of a hash can you make of a great television show? It jumped the shark with the DC move, had a few poorly to horrifically written episodes, and just never recovered.

Agreed, but I'm all in on this one and I love Fillion too much to not see how it ends :)

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
But, but, amnesia!

There are so many worse shows out there, and this is how you react to Castle? ;)

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My wife and I loved it. New season long story arc twist and it keeps you guessing.

Stout

Reaction score
There are so many worse shows out there, and this is how you react to Castle? ;)

:D Yes there are, but I hate to see a magnificent show turned into nothing more than a puke-worthy slop opera.

My wife and I loved it. New season long story arc twist and it keeps you guessing.

Yes, except:

OMG, now nothing's the same, and instead of them getting married like on a normal show, we get the slop opera 'he has amnesia, their marriage got stopped at the last second, and now that he's back it just isn't the same so they won't get married until at least season's end' kind of crap.

I mean, is that REALLY the kind of season-long story arc you want to watch on Castle? Because the show was based on quality writing, not THAT.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:D Yes there are, but I hate to see a magnificent show turned into nothing more than a puke-worthy slop opera.

Yes, except:

OMG, now nothing's the same, and instead of them getting married like on a normal show, we get the slop opera 'he has amnesia, their marriage got stopped at the last second, and now that he's back it just isn't the same so they won't get married until at least season's end' kind of crap.

I mean, is that REALLY the kind of season-long story arc you want to watch on Castle? Because the show was based on quality writing, not THAT.

For the most part the quality writing disappeared a few years ago. All that's left are the characters we love and the actors that portray them. And, again, for the most part, that's better than we get from most of the shows today.

Steve

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yes, except:

I have no idea where the story is going so that is a bit premature no? We at the end of the episode felt like we had no idea where this was going. So, IMO mission accomplished by the writers.

For the most part the quality writing disappeared a few years ago. All that's left are the characters we love and the actors that portray them. And, again, for the most part, that's better than we get from most of the shows today.

Steve

Not true IMO. The show is still great and written well IMO. Yes, I can see how some people miss the slightly antagonistic banter between the two characters but that was only one part of a great show IMO. We still love it.

Stout

Reaction score
I have no idea where the story is going so that is a bit premature no? We at the end of the episode felt like we had no idea where this was going. So, IMO mission accomplished by the writers.

Not true IMO. The show is still great and written well IMO. Yes, I can see how some people miss the slightly antagonistic banter between the two characters but that was only one part of a great show IMO. We still love it.

You have no idea where the show is going? They made it abundantly clear at the end of last season/beginning of this season. Namely:

The wedding is now not happening--that was made explicitly clear when they said 'It's not going to be the same between us'. So now we have the soap opera thing where something tragic happens just before the wedding to push it off. Maybe they get married now, maybe they don't. And part of the tension? He fricking has amnesia and can't remember the last few months. Really? REALLY?

I mean, please. This is the kind of writing/stories I'd expect out of daytime soap operas.

Good writing? Are you serious? The whole D.C. story line was simply a waste, and really jumped the shark for the show. As a friend pointed out, it was painfully obvious she was just going to come back, so why bother introducing a wasteful story arc that isn't going to forward anything?

And don't even try to tell me the episode-to-episode writing has maintained the show's earlier standards. I could rake last season over the coals, but I'll stick with the building explosion episode. Chock full of terrible tropes, no tension (cha, they're going to die--SURE they are), and a burning building with no internal structure left somehow remaining intact in one teensy spot--just where the characters were. PAINFULLY bad.

Look, I get it. You love the show, and love the characters. I won't fault anyone for still liking Castle based on that, because the actors and characters are still fantastic. Good writing, though? Puh-lease. The only explanation I have is that they panicked when Castle and Beckett were about to get married, and tried to come up with some kind of shocker change in direction...and failed, miserably.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You have no idea where the show is going? They made it abundantly clear at the end of last season/beginning of this season. Namely:

The wedding is now not happening--that was made explicitly clear when they said 'It's not going to be the same between us'. So now we have the soap opera thing where something tragic happens just before the wedding to push it off. Maybe they get married now, maybe they don't. And part of the tension? He fricking has amnesia and can't remember the last few months. Really? REALLY?

I mean, please. This is the kind of writing/stories I'd expect out of daytime soap operas.

Good writing? Are you serious? The whole D.C. story line was simply a waste, and really jumped the shark for the show. As a friend pointed out, it was painfully obvious she was just going to come back, so why bother introducing a wasteful story arc that isn't going to forward anything?

And don't even try to tell me the episode-to-episode writing has maintained the show's earlier standards. I could rake last season over the coals, but I'll stick with the building explosion episode. Chock full of terrible tropes, no tension (cha, they're going to die--SURE they are), and a burning building with no internal structure left somehow remaining intact in one teensy spot--just where the characters were. PAINFULLY bad.

Look, I get it. You love the show, and love the characters. I won't fault anyone for still liking Castle based on that, because the actors and characters are still fantastic. Good writing, though? Puh-lease. The only explanation I have is that they panicked when Castle and Beckett were about to get married, and tried to come up with some kind of shocker change in direction...and failed, miserably.

I think you completely misunderstood in regards to where it's going. I meant the story arc of what happened to him and where that is going. It's complete non-sense the writing is poor. There is still a great sense of humor with the show and many of the stories have been pretty good.

In terms of the marriage? I blame fans that have been long complaining that they felt that the two of them getting married would ruin the show. It's complete non-sense. A show can still work even if that happened but it sounds like the loud fans bitching about it may have had an influence. So the very bad thing you complain about....was probably caused by the people.....well...complaining about it.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I think you completely misunderstood in regards to where it's going. I meant the story arc of what happened to him and where that is going. It's complete non-sense the writing is poor. There is still a great sense of humor with the show and many of the stories have been pretty good.

In terms of the marriage? I blame fans that have been long complaining that they felt that the two of them getting married would ruin the show. It's complete non-sense. A show can still work even if that happened but it sounds like the loud fans bitching about it may have had an influence. So the very bad thing you complain about....was probably caused by the people.....well...complaining about it.

I look at it even further, MOST shows that have a male/female lead duo peter out and lose their charm after the leads hook up (for example, Bones). Castle was still great even after they hooked up. That's unusually good writing for a show like this.

I'm not sure Stout understands the term "jump the shark" anyway. :)

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I look at it even further, MOST shows that have a male/female lead duo peter out and lose their charm after the leads hook up (for example, Bones). Castle was still great even after they hooked up. That's unusually good writing for a show like this.

I'm not going to say it jumped the shark but I noticed a significant drop off in the writing during her FBI season. Every series has good episodes and weaker episodes. The balance towards weaker episodes flipped during that season, if not the latter part of the previous season AFAIC.

I'm not an overly critical viewer and yet I found myself picking apart more than half the episodes. Some of the episodes were so bad I had to force myself to stay for the whole show despite my love of the characters and the actors that portray them. This happened in Psych too (3rd season IIRC) and then the writing picked up again so I kept hoping Castle would to the same thing. So far, for me, it hasn't. I know it's hard to keep a show fresh, that's not what I'm talking about.

Steve

Stout

Reaction score

Very true. The hookup didn't hurt the show in the least, which was refreshing and kept it going longer than usual for a network show any more.

And okay, TECHNICALLY jumping the shark is an outrageous event that ruins the show, so TECHNICALLY a story arc doesn't count :) Still, in a general sense, that arc accomplished the same thing.

The balance towards weaker episodes flipped during that season, if not the latter part of the previous season AFAIC.

Some of the episodes were so bad I had to force myself to stay for the whole show despite my love of the characters and the actors that portray them.
Steve

This is an excellent explanation of what I'm trying to articulate. Thanks for bringing it into focus.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
ICastle was still great even after they hooked up. That's unusually good writing for a show like this.

Agreed. Didn't impact it all. In fact, the one thing about the show that got better was the bromance stuff. Some of the most hilarious episodes have been the banter between those guys. Much of that was underdeveloped until the leads hookup. Some good stuff.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Agreed. Didn't impact it all. In fact, the one thing about the show that got better was the bromance stuff. Some of the most hilarious episodes have been the banter between those guys. Much of that was underdeveloped until the leads hookup. Some good stuff.

And that actually was the thing I disliked the most about the pilot. I just couldn't buy that Espositio would turn on Castle as quickly as he did. I guess they just needed the conflict between him and Ryan, who I thought was believable as the guy who believed Castle.

Still, amnesia is a tricky thing, and usually not done well. I'm crossing my fingers that this doesn't last long--at least, the amnesia doesn't last long.

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
And that actually was the thing I disliked the most about the pilot. I just couldn't buy that Espositio would turn on Castle as quickly as he did. I guess they just needed the conflict between him and Ryan, who I thought was believable as the guy who believed Castle.

Still, amnesia is a tricky thing, and usually not done well. I'm crossing my fingers that this doesn't last long--at least, the amnesia doesn't last long.
Amnesia is when heroes took the nose dive.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yeah...I admit that bothered me a bit as well but Esposito has always been a bit of a hot head and emotional. Ryan definitely had the more measured response and wanted to believe in him no matter what but was struggling.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nope. Still going strong. Last nights episode had some of that classic Castle banter. Still enjoying the show.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Kind of ridiculous that his "missing" case isn't even solved yet. How can they just move on without knowing where the hell he was for the past 6 months or whatever? What if he killed someone when he was gone?

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just finished season 1 and am starting in season 2. I love me some " will they/won't they" so I am digging things so far. Not reading this thread until I'm caught up but I do know what happens at the end of season 4. :)

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So they finally get married.

The wife and I thought the episode was funny but what was with the green screen backdrop during the wedding? Did you see that? It was not even great green screen at that. It made it look like they were getting married in heaven. LOL.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The wife and I thought the episode was funny but what was with the green screen backdrop during the wedding? Did you see that? It was not even great green screen at that. It made it look like they were getting married in heaven. LOL.

Haha yea I thought was sort of strange as well.