C Palmer didnt practice 9-29-14

Darkside

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
He is ranked 11th in the NFL in total QBR.

However, Russell Wilson is ranked 23rd, right behind the immortal Ryan Fitzpatrick.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
He is ranked 11th in the NFL in total QBR.

However, Russell Wilson is ranked 23rd, right behind the immortal Ryan Fitzpatrick.

I bet Sendlein would prefer to have Wilson's hands under his butt, what about you? :D lol

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
So, the big question is.... If palmer isnt ready by Sunday and Stanton finds a way to beat the Broncos, will there still be no qb controversy??

No I actually believe the master of deceit, Arians, when he says if you have two QBs you don't have one.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Answer: Yes.

attachment.php

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
It's looking like Stanton may start this one. I guess it all depends on how Palmer is feeling tomorrow, but so far, it seems Stanton will be the go to go here. Which I am fine with either of them playing. ;)

OP
OP
B

BIGRED1959

Go Cardinals!
Reaction score
It's looking like Stanton may start this one. I guess it all depends on how Palmer is feeling tomorrow, but so far, it seems Stanton will be the go to go here. Which I am fine with either of them playing. ;)

Ill tell ya what, If Stanton goes into Denver and plays a good game leading cards to a win.......then the Cardinals MAY have a bit of a quarterback controversy. If Palmer is healthy week 6 im sure he would get the start from Arians regardless of how good Stanton looks this sunday. But the fans--- they may want to stick with the hot hand.\

hmmm

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ill tell ya what, If Stanton goes into Denver and plays a good game leading cards to a win.......then the Cardinals MAY have a bit of a quarterback controversy. If Palmer is healthy week 6 im sure he would get the start from Arians regardless of how good Stanton looks this sunday. But the fans--- they may want to stick with the hot hand.\

hmmm

If Stanton goes in, has a good game, no turnover and beats the AFC Champion one week after beating the NFC runner up, it would be silly not to at least consider keeping him a starter.

Darkside

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I've seen that picture more than my wife this past week. It's disturbing.

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Denver can be beaten but the defense has to get pressure on Manning, not necessarily sack him but be around his feet. Plus, they have to continue stuffing the run. If they don't make Manning get happy feet he will pick them apart.

Stanton has to continue to NOT turn the ball over. Will be difficult because the Broncos have some good pass rushers.

I think the Cards can win but they have to really play lights out.

OP
OP
B

BIGRED1959

Go Cardinals!
Reaction score
Denver can be beaten but the defense has to get pressure on Manning, not necessarily sack him but be around his feet. Plus, they have to continue stuffing the run. If they don't make Manning get happy feet he will pick them apart.

Stanton has to continue to NOT turn the ball over. Will be difficult because the Broncos have some good pass rushers.

I think the Cards can win but they have to really play lights out.

I expect the tight ends to help chip with the tackles this week, that bronco secondary is very "eh".

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
If Stanton goes in, has a good game, no turnover and beats the AFC Champion one week after beating the NFC runner up, it would be silly not to at least consider keeping him a starter.

I think it's important to quantify in advance what "a good game" means, because if it's winning and not throwing picks, I don't think that's enough to dislodge your starter from his seat, particularly when the more physically gifted starter hasn't thrown any picks, either.

Let's all keep in mind that Drew Stanton hasn't played a good game yet. He's completing his passes at a clip just below 52% and 6.6 yards per attempt.

A performance like 61% completions, 2 TDs, 7.2 YPA, 0 INTs would get me interested in discussing a more permanent change.

OP
OP
B

BIGRED1959

Go Cardinals!
Reaction score
I think it's important to quantify in advance what "a good game" means, because if it's winning and not throwing picks, I don't think that's enough to dislodge your starter from his seat, particularly when the more physically gifted starter hasn't thrown any picks, either.

Let's all keep in mind that Drew Stanton hasn't played a good game yet. He's completing his passes at a clip just below 52% and 6.6 yards per attempt.

A performance like 61% completions, 2 TDs, 7.2 YPA, 0 INTs would get me interested in discussing a more permanent change.

I thought his last game was ok...

But yes the qb contravercy would only be slightly stirred up if he had a line like 3 td's , 1 int 321 yrds and a road win in Denver. To me that would signal strong upward progression through three starts, and two of those start being on the road.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I thought his last game was ok...

But yes the qb contravercy would only be slightly stirred up if he had a line like 3 td's , 1 int 321 yrds and a road win in Denver. To me that would signal strong upward progression through three starts, and two of those start being on the road.

It was "okay," but I don't think "okay" is enough to disqualify Palmer. Palmer hasn't attempted enough passes to rank on FootballOutsiders' DVOA (50 minimum attempts), but his DVOA (21.8%) is substantially better than Stanton's (7.5%), and Palmer's Total QBR (79.9) also exceeds Stanton's (75.3).

There really isn't a metric from 2014 or the second half of 2013 that indicates to you that Stanton is a better option than Palmer except "who started the most recent game." IMO, if Palmer's healthy and you sit him on the bench, that's it.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Living the dream baby. No point in throwing Palmer out there in a brutal road game when his arm isn't 100%. If Stanton really struggles we'll have the backup excuse and Palmer can go next week at home vs a terrible Washington team.

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
If Stanton continues to win games the fans may call for it but I would be shocked if Arians sat a healthy Palmer at all this season.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
I'm gonna say it again...this reminds me of the Peyton nerve situation though Palmers is a shoulder instead of a neck. This could go on much longer than many of us thought.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
I tell you what the hell I would be doing right now, I would sign another QB before freaking Stanton gets hurt and the totally unready Thomas is thrown into the mix because the nerve problem with Palmer could linger for some time... there is not much out there but it would still be better than watching our ex TE turned QB learn at the professional level lol

Iceman

Administrator
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Living the dream baby. No point in throwing Palmer out there in a brutal road game when his arm isn't 100%. If Stanton really struggles we'll have the backup excuse and Palmer can go next week at home vs a terrible Washington team.

Exactly! It would really be a no win situation for Palmer anyways because he has yet been able to full out practice yet. I would rather have a 100% Stanton then a 75% or so Palmer.

Iceman

Administrator
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I tell you what the hell I would be doing right now, I would sign another QB before freaking Stanton gets hurt and the totally unready Thomas is thrown into the mix because the nerve problem with Palmer could linger for some time... there is not much out there but it would still be better than watching our ex TE turned QB learn at the professional level lol

Great point! There are plenty of mid average experienced QB's we could go after. Maybe that's why the Cards just cut a player today??