A quick review....then and now...

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
That's what I didn't get. With that talent they could have been SB contenders and they were far from it.

I hear you. But two seasons later Whiz took that same talent to the SB. provided me with the greatest sports moment of my life getting to watch at UPS with AzCards21 the win over the Eagles for the NFC title.

I had people I hadn't heard from in years emailing and texting how happy they were for me and the long suffering Cardinals.

9 starters who were talented enough to make a pro bowl and a HOF QB and they finish 5-11. What in the world was Denny doing? He was so bad even 40year didn't like him as HC.

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had people I hadn't heard from in years emailing and texting how happy they were for me and the long suffering Cardinals.

I was at the game too and I had the exact same thing happen before I even left the stadium. My phone blew up.

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I hear you. But two seasons later Whiz took that same talent to the SB. provided me with the greatest sports moment of my life getting to watch at UPS with AzCards21 the win over the Eagles for the NFC title.

9 starters who were talented enough to make a pro bowl and a HOF QB and they finish 5-11. What in the world was Denny doing? He was so bad even 40year didn't like him as HC.

I think the problem was that they paid Coach Green all the cash and he brought in very sub-par assistants. BA was able to hire a plethora of assistants that Denny could not do. I think there was maybe a bit of that with Coach Whisenhunt (lack of quality assistants).

Plus, I think that when Coach Whisenhunt was given the authority to choose the players in his extension that spelled disaster. I think the combination of the Head Coach and GM (Rod Graves), especially in the QB evaluation ended up in the cluster it became.

I will always appreciate Coach Whisenhunt for coaching that team to the SB. IMO he should be in the HOF just for getting the CARDINALS there. But, his stubbornness and inflexibility that came with his extended powers in personnel decisions was his downfall. At least that's how I will always look at how things turned out. That's a bit over simplification but in essence how I see it.

Coach Arians and crew has some tall shoes to fill, like getting to the SB and WIN it this time before I will consider him as "successful" as Coach Whisenhunt was.

Darkside

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I think the problem was that they paid Coach Green all the cash and he brought in very sub-par assistants. BA was able to hire a plethora of assistants that Denny could not do. I think there was maybe a bit of that with Coach Whisenhunt (lack of quality assistants).

Plus, I think that when Coach Whisenhunt was given the authority to choose the players in his extension that spelled disaster. I think the combination of the Head Coach and GM (Rod Graves), especially in the QB evaluation ended up in the cluster it became.

I will always appreciate Coach Whisenhunt for coaching that team to the SB. IMO he should be in the HOF just for getting the CARDINALS there. But, his stubbornness and inflexibility that came with his extended powers in personnel decisions was his downfall. At least that's how I will always look at how things turned out. That's a bit over simplification but in essence how I see it.

Coach Arians and crew has some tall shoes to fill, like getting to the SB and WIN it this time before I will consider him as "successful" as Coach Whisenhunt was.

I really had the sense that Whis and Graves had some type of power struggle toward the end, epitomized by the subbing of QBs in and out of the lineup. Also think Whis cutting Leinart the way he did didn't sit well with Graves, rightfully so perhaps--he devalued the guy in the press and then cut him when it was too late to get anything at all for him.

Agree with you and others overall about Whis though. Took us to a SB, nothing more he could have done except win it.

I still wonder sometimes what BA has to do to equal that--is anything short of a SB a failure? Does 5 years of playoffs equal one SB appearance? I like having hope each year, I know that. I'm not used to it.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I have to say this about Arians and his coaches to date they have done more with less than any coaches we've ever had.

To heck with some jack leg Kolb jersey I'm going to start wearing my "Old Guys Rule" T-Shirt on game days.

:D

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I still don't get the claims of terrible coaching with Whisenhunt. Except for Russ Grimm of course. You don't go to the SB or advance to the 2nd round of the playoffs with terrible coaching. CKW simply had no QB and we have debated whose fault that was forever.

You want terrible coaching look at Denny Green.5-11 with Kurt Warner, Larry Fitzgerald, Anquan Boldin, Darnell Dockett, Karlos Dansby, Bert Berry, Antrel Rolle, Antonio Smith, Chike Okeafor, Edgerrin James, and Adrian Wilson.

:notworthy:

One thing I know my brother and I talk about sometimes in reference to this team, is how different the talent level of the roster is from teams pre-Michael's intervention.

Go back and look at some of the rosters from the 90's. The team had only a handful of good starters, backups were all fringe practice squad types. The talent level was MISERABLE. Guys like Tony Jefferson would have been top ten players on the team. Now they are role players. Night and day difference, and one of the reasons that the "same ole' Cards" argument is BS.

Very true. Key point is "pre-Michael". Hiring Green was a good first move on his part but when it didn't pan out he made the change to Whiz. Not that Sr. didn't like to fire HC's but Michael learns from his mistakes and keeps learning and improving as a owner.

Getting back to the OP. The vast majority of the fans on this site have been Charlie Brown and the NFL has been Lucy. Well Michael made it so that Charlie did finally kick the ball. It hit the left upright and then the crossbar but wouldn't go through for the SB victory. But is was a fantastic feeling to actually kick the ball and man it did almost go through the uprights.

This is why I have faith that we will never be the SOC's and a losing season or two won't change my mind. Michael is smart and refuses to be a loser.

Darkside

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I have to say this about Arians and his coaches to date they have done more with less than any coaches we've ever had.

To heck with some jack leg Kolb jersey I'm going to start wearing my "Old Guys Rule" T-Shirt on game days.

Doesn't BA have the most assistants in the NFL or close to it? I remember reading over a year ago that he had something like 22 assistant coaches or some ridic #.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Good post. Since the stadium opened the Cards have had 5 seasons of .500 or better. 5 of 8.

Before that the Cards had two seasons .500 or better in the previous 18 seasons in Arizona.

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good post. Since the stadium opened the Cards have had 5 seasons of .500 or better. 5 of 8.

Before that the Cards had two seasons .500 or better in the previous 18 seasons in Arizona.

good god.

DoTheDew

Registered
Reaction score
I still don't get the claims of terrible coaching with Whisenhunt. Except for Russ Grimm of course. You don't go to the SB or advance to the 2nd round of the playoffs with terrible coaching. CKW simply had no QB and we have debated whose fault that was forever.

Right and if Whiz was the one who wanted Skelton, Kolb, Hall and Anderson on the roster, then he is at least partially to blame. Talent evaluation is primarily the GMs job, but it's also part of the coaches job.

I just really have a hard time believing that after leading the Cards to the SB and getting a huge extension that he didn't have significant input in personnel moves. If he didn't have major input and Graves is fully to blame for personnel moves, then wouldn't Graves also be the one who deserves credit for putting together the SB roster?

asudevil83

Reaction score

You want terrible coaching look at Denny Green.5-11 with Kurt Warner, Larry Fitzgerald, Anquan Boldin, Darnell Dockett, Karlos Dansby, Bert Berry, Antrel Rolle, Antonio Smith, Chike Okeafor, Edgerrin James, and Adrian Wilson.

My gripe on Whisenhunt was simple. During that terrible streak that lost him his job, the ONLY thing he ever said was "these guys just have to figure it out" and "they'll all come around". Its like he was convinced that that's way his team plays, and in order to win they just have to try harder. No speak of adjustments or gameplan change.

We went through literally 3 months of "we played our style of football and didnt win, maybe we'll do better next week."

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
I

I still wonder sometimes what BA has to do to equal that--is anything short of a SB a failure? Does 5 years of playoffs equal one SB appearance? I like having hope each year, I know that. I'm not used to it.

I wouldn't hold him to that. This League is by far the most competitive in the World Perhaps. Building a consistent playoff team is doing miracles in this league

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
My gripe on Whisenhunt was simple. During that terrible streak that lost him his job, the ONLY thing he ever said was "these guys just have to figure it out" and "they'll all come around". Its like he was convinced that that's way his team plays, and in order to win they just have to try harder. No speak of adjustments or gameplan change.

We went through literally 3 months of "we played our style of football and didnt win, maybe we'll do better next week."

You know these guys have millions of dollars why don't they hire PR people to work with them on how to conduct press conferences?

Me, If I were a high profile athlete I'd hire a comedy writer like Larry the Cable a Guy to get me one liners. So when a reporter asked me what I was thinking when I went for it on 4th and 4 I could respond "well I was thinking about the big hooters on our new cheerleader and if she'd enjoy Duck hunting".

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
I like both Whiz and Arians. I wasn't concerned with losing Horton and didn't have any qualms with Bowles.

As for Keim, I like him too but, in reality, almost anyone the Cards hired was going to be an improvement over Graves. Graves played golf 6 days a week and did really nothing of significance. It's amazing he kept that job as long as he did. His golf hdcp went down though :).

With Keim's drafting, I think the jury is still out. He's had success with lower round picks but he is going to have to start hitting on players in the first 2 rounds. I'm not saying Cooper, Minter, Buccanon, and Niklas are busts, or are not going to have an impact, but if lower round picks like Brown and Ellington are already having big impacts, you'd hope the top picks would be as well.

There is nothing wrong with Keim's drafting either. Cooper was setting our line on fire until he got his leg rolled up on and broken. You can't blame an accidental injury on Keim. They happen. He then went out and got a suitable replacement in Larsen to take the spot. (He also took Sendlein's while he was hurt). Coop is coming back now, and will be just as good as he was before the injury when he learns he can trust the healing process. He might have trouble moving Larsen out of the line-up, but that is because of Keim too. Keim should be getting a lot more credit here on this board than he does.

If you listen to K-9, Keim was worthless during the Graves era. Not so. Michael recognized his worth, and tried to promote him to where he could have a voice in things, but he was always trumped by Graves and Whiz. Lay your fault there people, not on Keim. In his own way, Whiz was as worthless as Graves in the long run. He decimated an excellent roster in no time at all. He also probably ruined several young quarterbacks along the way. Give Keim the credit he deserves. He has given Arians all the talent he has needed to get the job done. Probably would have done the same for Whiz if given the chance.

Reaction score
You know these guys have millions of dollars why don't they hire PR people to work with them on how to conduct press conferences?

Me, If I were a high profile athlete I'd hire a comedy writer like Larry the Cable a Guy to get me one liners. So when a reporter asked me what I was thinking when I went for it on 4th and 4 I could respond "well I was thinking about the big hooters on our new cheerleader and if she'd enjoy Duck hunting".

I would love to hear that type of press conference!

I got a kick out of Belichick's response following Monday's lambasting, when asked about if he should consider evaluating the QB position. http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/20140...ameinfo|contentId:0ap3000000403290&tab=videos See about 1:20 into Belichick's video.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

That's coachspeak dude. Who cares what he was saying to the media. Now, if that was what he was saying to Michael, then I understand.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There is nothing wrong with Keim's drafting either. Cooper was setting our line on fire until he got his leg rolled up on and broken. You can't blame an accidental injury on Keim. They happen. He then went out and got a suitable replacement in Larsen to take the spot. (He also took Sendlein's while he was hurt). Coop is coming back now, and will be just as good as he was before the injury when he learns he can trust the healing process. He might have trouble moving Larsen out of the line-up, but that is because of Keim too. Keim should be getting a lot more credit here on this board than he does.

If you listen to K-9, Keim was worthless during the Graves era. Not so. Michael recognized his worth, and tried to promote him to where he could have a voice in things, but he was always trumped by Graves and Whiz. Lay your fault there people, not on Keim. In his own way, Whiz was as worthless as Graves in the long run. He decimated an excellent roster in no time at all. He also probably ruined several young quarterbacks along the way. Give Keim the credit he deserves. He has given Arians all the talent he has needed to get the job done. Probably would have done the same for Whiz if given the chance.

He ruined SEVERAL young quarterbacks??? Really. Who would they be?? If that's the case, bring them back & let the QB whisperer fix them.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave