True Detective: Season 2 (HBO)

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
‘True Detective’ Season 2 Will Have Three Leads, California Setting

http://variety.com/2014/tv/news/tru...st-three-leads-california-setting-1201193624/

More details have emerged about the cast and setting of “True Detective” season two, which will focus on three new leads, according to creator Nic Pizzolatto.

In a recent interview with public radio program “To the Best of Our Knowledge,” Pizzolatto revealed that in the new season’s current form, “we’re working with three leads. It takes place in California — not Los Angeles, but some of the much lesser known venues of California — and we’re going to try to capture a certain psychosphere ambiance of the place, much like we did in season one.”

He added, “The characters are all new, but I’m deeply in love with each of them. We’ve got the entire series broken out with a couple of scripts, and we’ll probably start casting in earnest in the coming months.”

Pizzolatto previously told HitFix that “True Detective” season two would be about “hard women, bad men and the secret occult history of the United States transportation system.”

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
Heard the first lead role was offered to the girl from zero dark thirty

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Colin Farrell is in talks to join the cast. Taylor Kitsch also being mentioned...

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Confirmed: Both Colin Farrell And Vince Vaughn Will Star In ‘True Detective’ Season Two

http://uproxx.com/tv/2014/09/confir...aughn-will-star-in-true-detective-season-two/

HBO describes the new season thusly: “Three police officers and a career criminal must navigate a web of conspiracy in the aftermath of a murder.” Farrell will play Ray Velcoro, “a compromised detective whose allegiances are torn between his masters in a corrupt police department and the mobster who owns him,” while Vaughn has been cast as Frank Semyon, “a career criminal in danger of losing his empire when his move into legitimate enterprise is upended by the murder of a business partner.”

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s Official: HBO’s True Detective Adds McAdams, Kitsch and Reilly

You must be registered for see images attach

Although their names have been tied to the project for months, HBO officially announced today that Rachel McAdams (About Time, Midnight in Paris), Taylor Kitsch (“Friday Night Lights”, John Carter) and Kelly Reilly (Flight, Sherlock Holmes) are joining Colin Farrell and Vince Vaughn for the highly-anticipated second season of “True Detective.”

In the second season, three police officers and a career criminal must navigate a web of conspiracy in the aftermath of a murder.

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
Colin Farrell and Vince Vaughn? This isn't inspiring confidence in the second season for me.

I like the pairing because I don't know what to expect in terms of characters and how Vaughn will come off I'm intrigued. Also you never like anything lol. To be honest I think Vaughn would be a better killer than cop.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The first season was absolutely amazing and something that Pizzolatto clearly put a lot of time, effort and love into... and that they're pumping out a second one this fast seems like HBO said "Wow, that was great! Make us another one, you're hesitant? Well here is a ton of money! How about now?"

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited by a moderator:

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Anyone watch episode 1 yet?

I was all-in after about 20 minutes of season one, it was quickly clear how great that show was. This one... the characters don't quite grip you like Rust Cohle did, at least not so far.

But I'll keep watching, it has potential. I may have felt better about this new season if it were not following such a grand act.

cardfaninfl

Demographically significant
Reaction score
30 seconds in and I put it on pause. It took me almost an hour to stop thinking, "If the opening theme song is any indication, this is going to be horrible."

Collin Farrell plays a dirty cop that has a crisis of conscience and decides to bury his feeling under booze, drugs and violence. OK, that's never been done before.

Rachel McAdams has gone the Charlize Theron route of trying to gain credibility by making her character look as unattractive as possible. Its a shame actors feel this way.

Taylor Kitsch is a PTSD "We were working for America, sir." war veteran, now working on having every woman that he meets give him oral sex while riding a motorcycle.

Kelly Reilly is freakishly pretty. I lost count of the camera shots of her coy facial expression that seems to say, "Can you believe how freakishly pretty I am?"

Vince Vaughn has played dramatic characters in the past, and I enjoyed his performances. In each of those previous roles, there was still the occasional zinger that made his character believable, and entirely more menacing or creepy. Even ground-ball lines like, "Never do anything out of hunger. Not even eating.", should have played to Vaughn's natural ability. I guess this series wants him to play it one-dimensional.

Other than that... it does have a 'Chinatown', 'Mulholland Drive' noir feel to it. Not giving up, but the first episode was a clunker.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
It is picking up in the 2nd episode, I still have high hopes.

Season 1 was the same thing, it was not like you saw the first 5 minutes and thought "wow this show is great".

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I'm really not liking the Vince Vaughn character. His first scene last week was soul-crushingly bad--but that might be the writing, too, as it was a cliched story thing.

That said, stakes have been raised, and I'm excited to see where the rest of it goes.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
on the one hand, I'll be mad if a certain character is gone from the show after last week's episode, but on the other hand, I'll be mad if that was just one of the worst cases of schmuck bait I've ever seen on TV.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am gong to start binge watching. Is this one of those shows I should avoid the forums until I catchup?

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
on the one hand, I'll be mad if a certain character is gone from the show after last week's episode, but on the other hand, I'll be mad if that was just one of the worst cases of schmuck bait I've ever seen on TV.

If that character isn't gone, I will be. It would be a wholly unforgivable case of schmuck bait.

Otherwise, I'm mostly enjoying it so far. Really intrigued by Kitsch's (sp?) character, and McAdams's.

I REALLY want to know what she wanted to do in the bedroom :)

Last edited:

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Still have mixed feelings, last episode was an improvement apart from Vince Vaughn's scenes, he is really not working out in that role so far. I agree wholeheartedly with what everyone has said about a certain character and the ending of last weeks episode. Annoyed if they are gone because that has been the most interesting character by far, but at the same time if they are not gone that is some bull.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Still have mixed feelings, last episode was an improvement apart from Vince Vaughn's scenes, he is really not working out in that role so far. I agree wholeheartedly with what everyone has said about a certain character and the ending of last weeks episode. Annoyed if they are gone because that has been the most interesting character by far, but at the same time if they are not gone that is some bull.

Yeah... I was excited to see Vaughn do something dark. He was GREAT back in the day in a little movie called Clay Pigeons where he plays a psychopath full of charm, but he's struggling here. His best attribute is charm and he got to play a little of that in ONE scene so far with the "fake accident" showdown, but if they're not going to let him loose at all, it's gonna be tough to watch.