Suns vs. Warriors, 5 PM (Arizona Time), summer league

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Dude..... Archie is only 19 still.

Put some beef on that kid, and he has a legit shot at being special.

TJ did what I expected. Junk pail scoring with some dynamic moments.

in closing......Alec Brown's shot was/is disgusting.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I don't get it. The talk is about how many extra Point Guards we are going to play during the season. But we have two -- count 'em -- two assists in our first Summer League game.

Isn't there supposed to be some sort of team consistency for the young players? Welcome to the regular season, guys. Now, forget everything we've been teaching you.

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I don't get it. The talk is about how many extra Point Guards we are going to play during the season. But we have two -- count 'em -- two assists in our first Summer League game.

Isn't there supposed to be some sort of team consistency for the young players? Welcome to the regular season, guys. Now, forget everything we've been teaching you.
That wasn't a real game though, people were trying to get recognized not play some well thought team ball. That game's stats are history, the stand outs is what the Summer League can show us. NBA ready players should look like Holliday, Warner, and Archie did. Able to get theirs in a pick up game style chest thumper.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
That wasn't a real game though, people were trying to get recognized not play some well thought team ball. That game's stats are history, the stand outs is what the Summer League can show us. NBA ready players should look like Holliday, Warner, and Archie did. Able to get theirs in a pick up game style chest thumper.
I had hoped that the concept of a dedicated Summer League team would be the same as the talk about dedicated D-League teams. Just as in Minor League baseball.

Establishing the foundation of the parent team. The Suns are heavy on Point Guards, but the Summer League is light on assists. Do you know if all the NBA teams in the Summer League are treating them as pickup games?

Thanks.

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I had hoped that the concept of a dedicated Summer League team would be the same as the talk about dedicated D-League teams. Just as in Minor League baseball.

Establishing the foundation of the parent team. The Suns are heavy on Point Guards, but the Summer League is light on assists. ?Do you know if all the NBA teams in the Summer League are treating them as pickup games

Thanks.
I do not amigo. I think I saw a team not being coached at all, the only shift in the game came in the third quarter where it looked like someone told the Suns to pick up the pace.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Establishing the foundation of the parent team. The Suns are heavy on Point Guards, but the Summer League is light on assists. Do you know if all the NBA teams in the Summer League are treating them as pickup games?

Thanks.

It looked to me like we ran our offense, got wide open looks and then bricked the shots.

Steve

KloD

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
All this BS talk about too many PG's is going to drive me crazy. Best I just ignore it. But, there are 3 PG's on the summer league team, that's not heavy on PG's by any standard. On the season roster we have 4 and one of them plays SG and another is a 19 year old raw rookie. I will try to make this my last comment on the subject.... try.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All this BS talk about too many PG's is going to drive me crazy. Best I just ignore it. But, there are 3 PG's on the summer league team, that's not heavy on PG's by any standard. On the season roster we have 4 and one of them plays SG and another is a 19 year old raw rookie. I will try to make this my last comment on the subject.... try.

Never can have enough cornerbacks in football nor PGs in basketball. :D

It's just something to talk about. It will all shake out eventually.

KloD

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Never can have enough cornerbacks in football nor PGs in basketball. :D

It's just something to talk about. It will all shake out eventually.

It's not being talked about. It's being exaggerated, critiqued, whined about, ect. This board went from let's not make any stupid moves because we are still building and developing to let's throw money at any deadbeat dude with a PF or C label. All this NOW NOW NOW mentality sounds like my 4 year old IMO. What happened to the patience? Do people really have an expectation that this team should be contending at this point? Saver clearly said that they are being patient. They shot for the moon, it didn't happen, and rather than run out and sign some over priced vets to try and do what they've done in the past and end up hurting the team in the long run, they are going to be patient and be careful with their signings and continue to develop. I for one (maybe the only one) applaud what I heard. I'm happy he's learned that throwing money at whoever isn't the way to build a contender. Apparently while others say that's what they want, when the time comes to be patient and disciplined, that all goes out the window and they want Boozer, Humphries, ect. The thought gives me the shivers, Hell no! Sorry, I'm just annoyed by some of the ignorance I perceive is being displayed. I think it's time for me to take a break as this isn't fun for me. :)

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Archie and Warren look like they can excel in a fast paced environment. Len, he tried to play more of a team ball game, even dished it into Plum under the bucket when he hadn't even started or used his dribble, that fits our new scheme well too. Getting the rock down the court quickly is only part of it, you have to keep players in motion to keep the defense in motion, and passing the ball continuessly just further confuses the other team, especially if they are tired.

After further review, Ennis responded pretty dang well after beginning so nervous. I think he ended up doing better than Curry and Curry has been in the League right?

Curry or Ennis could be hard to figure out. But the rest looked pretty clear at a glance.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's not being talked about. It's being exaggerated, critiqued, whined about, ect. This board went from let's not make any stupid moves because we are still building and developing to let's throw money at any deadbeat dude with a PF or C label. All this NOW NOW NOW mentality sounds like my 4 year old IMO. What happened to the patience? Do people really have an expectation that this team should be contending at this point? Saver clearly said that they are being patient. They shot for the moon, it didn't happen, and rather than run out and sign some over priced vets to try and do what they've done in the past and end up hurting the team in the long run, they are going to be patient and be careful with their signings and continue to develop. I for one (maybe the only one) applaud what I heard. I'm happy he's learned that throwing money at whoever isn't the way to build a contender. Apparently while others say that's what they want, when the time comes to be patient and disciplined, that all goes out the window and they want Boozer, Humphries, ect. The thought gives me the shivers, Hell no! Sorry, I'm just annoyed by some of the ignorance I perceive is being displayed. I think it's time for me to take a break as this isn't fun for me. :)

I still think there is some leftover paranoia by some fans including myself that Sarver will only do enough to win or not go far enough. This may be totally erroneous. When he hired McDonough and Hornacek it made me feel better especially after last season. I liked the moves they made. I don't think there would be anything wrong renting Boozer or Humphries to bridge the gap between now and the future until the Suns establish their identity as a playoff team. However I do not want to mess up long term plans. I trust McDonough to make the right decisions but I still have flashbacks about Sarver not making the right moves. I guess it's natural. Trust has to be earned.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Archie and Warren look like they can excel in a fast paced environment. Len, he tried to play more of a team ball game, even dished it into Plum under the bucket when he hadn't even started or used his dribble, that fits our new scheme well too. Getting the rock down the court quickly is only part of it, you have to keep players in motion to keep the defense in motion, and passing the ball continuessly just further confuses the other team, especially if they are tired.

After further review, Ennis responded pretty dang well after beginning so nervous. I think he ended up doing better than Curry and Curry has been in the League right?

Curry or Ennis could be hard to figure out. But the rest looked pretty clear at a glance.

The big take away for me, playing essentially two centers together (Len, Plumlee or Brown) does not work. Maybe the chemistry got messed up when Alex Oriakhi got traded at the last minute. Who knows. I liked what I saw of Ennis, Warren and Goodwin.

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The big take away for me, playing essentially two centers together (Len, Plumlee or Brown) does not work. Maybe the chemistry got messed up when Alex Oriakhi got traded at the last minute. Who knows. I liked what I saw of Ennis, Warren and Goodwin.

Fast pace and those two centers definitely don't work, it was like watching a clogged artery at times and I imagine both could have done better with more space. I'm not even talking about Brown anymore, his threes looked like Bill Lambeer was blindfolded at a bar, it was that bad. If he had played some nice D that would have been nice. You figure he could get down the court quicker since he chills on the three point line on offense, but he was still running catching up after we pushed the ball down. It's not like he was staying to get rebounds.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
This board went from let's not make any stupid moves because we are still building and developing to let's throw money at any deadbeat dude with a PF or C label. All this NOW NOW NOW mentality sounds like my 4 year old IMO. What happened to the patience? Do people really have an expectation that this team should be contending at this point?

But what is "patient" about trotting out a roster whose only chance to compete is trying to score 140 points with small ball, when the long-term goal is to establish a culture of defensive responsibility and a style that will hold up in the playoffs? What is there to "develop" in that scenario?

No one on the roster, with the possible exception of Markieff Morris, has any realistic likelihood of developing into a starting-caliber PF or C. Where is the "development" coming from? And since the Suns won't land a high draft pick and aren't in the running for elite free agents, when does the "patience" pay off?

It would be one thing if the roster really were 4-year-olds, because then we might hope that they'd get bigger and stronger over the years. But these guys ain't getting bigger. None of the four PGs is going to grow into a SG (even if you decide to call somebody one), none of the three SFs is going to grow into a PF, and none of the two Cs is going to grow into a real C.

It's like if you plant some poppy seeds in the ground and tell someone you're hoping they will grow up into a redwood, and the other person says that's absurd, and you say "Well you have to be patient."

PhxGametime

Formerly Bball_31
Reaction score
The Suns were outplaying G.S. but I wasn't impressed with the shots we took last 5 minutes of game. With as many NBA players on Summer League Team that's disappointing but T.J. Warren, Archie Goodwin, or Tyler Ennis Should've been 1. On court 2. Plays made for.

The Coach didn't impress me at all especially in 4th.

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
But what is "patient" about trotting out a roster whose only chance to compete is trying to score 140 points with small ball, when the long-term goal is to establish a culture of defensive responsibility and a style that will hold up in the playoffs? What is there to "develop" in that scenario?

No one on the roster, with the possible exception of Markieff Morris, has any realistic likelihood of developing into a starting-caliber PF or C. Where is the "development" coming from? And since the Suns won't land a high draft pick and aren't in the running for elite free agents, when does the "patience" pay off?

It would be one thing if the roster really were 4-year-olds, because then we might hope that they'd get bigger and stronger over the years. But these guys ain't getting bigger. None of the four PGs is going to grow into a SG (even if you decide to call somebody one), none of the three SFs is going to grow into a PF, and none of the two Cs is going to grow into a real C.

It's like if you plant some poppy seeds in the ground and tell someone you're hoping they will grow up into a redwood, and the other person says that's absurd, and you say "Well you have to be patient."
I understand most of this, but Len might pan out if his wheels stay alright and everybody brags about our med staff. If we start him sooner than later, we will know sooner than later, that's not being patient is it? He can either remain the starter, be second team worthy, worst comes to worst we make a decision sooner. The buffer Morris can hang at PF, he's kind of earned it, I think that was part of our reasoning for letting Frye Guy go. Thomas comes in, and it reminds me of the Moneyball movie a bit. The SF Morris and Warner sound like a good future, and we got ball handlers for days.

Bled, Dragon, Green, Tucker, we have talent, and the size may not grow, but the talent might. I agree we need more size, quicker big size is ideal and that isn't out there right now unless we scope and trade, or wait until something comes into our sites.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
If you are referring to my comment about the Summer League team, I found it ironic that a team overloaded with Point Guards had only two assists in its first game.

Don't you find it ironic that a practice league doesn't practice what the parent team features?

hafey2

Rookie
Reaction score
If you are referring to my comment about the Summer League team, I found it ironic that a team overloaded with Point Guards had only two assists in its first game.

Don't you find it ironic that a practice league doesn't practice what the parent team features?

You realize the Suns were 29/30 in assists per game in the league last year, right?

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
You realize the Suns were 29/30 in assists per game in the league last year, right?
Yes, 29th. Just barely ahead of last place.

What do last year's stats have to do with today's Summer League activity preparing the young players on this year's roster (which, of course, is overloaded with Point Guards)? Even after we let Bledsoe sign elsewhere.

KloD

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I was thinking of your comment, but among many others over the past day or two. There is 1 PG on the summer team that will be on the final roster and he will likely spend most of his time as a practice playmate and D-League trainee. Most of the Summer league team will never be on this team. The ones that are are there to both get a taste of NBA speed and learn their visioned roles within the team. IMO not much about Summer league translates to the NBA game. It's just extra practice sessions for guys with 3 years or less experience, that and another way for the NBA to make more money.

So no, I don't find it ironic and I don't see the team as overloaded with PG's. In fact, I really don't see Bledsoe or Thomson as PG's. They may be put in that position, but due to size more so than skill. In fact our top scores last year were Goran and Eric. So I think the days of leading the league in assists are over or at least on hold.

I guess my frustration today is because I find it odd that most like the majority of this front office moves, yet some how believe that McD doesn't get that we need help at the front court positions. I find that hard to believe. Of course they know what we need and have far more information about what options there are. I keep hearing we need some guys to fill them temporarily. Sure, but Free agency just started and at this point they aren't signing 1 or even many 2 year deals. Those come at the end when guys are just trying to stay in the league and are willing to sign those, their priority of long term security turns into just getting what they can to stay in the league. I'm referring to the group right before vet min. Maybe even vet min. guys are your only option for that role. Once in a while one of those guys pans out and proves themselves, ala Tucker. So the complaining and desperation at this point is needless. The Suns with what they are trying to build are shocking really that they are ahead of the plan. They certainly didn't expect to have the season they did last year, so making the playoffs this year is a bonus, not an expectation IMO. If they just wanted to get in and maybe even win a series they would go out and sign some B or C level vets, but they are trying to raise a team, build it for the long haul. One last comment on lack of bigs, so many complained when they drafted Lenn over a guard. A large mobile big who can be a pretty good shot blocker. They want bigs, just not low level guys. Hopefully Lenn pans out and I'm certain they will sign and draft others.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I watched the game last night and thought I would share my take.

Warren had a strong performance with a stealthy 22 points. The comparisons to Ceballos with his nose for the ball and knack for scoring were definitely noticeable. I didn't watch him on the defensive end much, but he did play the passing lanes a lot like Marion and got his hands on a lot of passes. I was a bit concerned with is handles as he bobbled the ball a few times.

Archie got into a rhythm in the 3rd quarter and nailed a couple nice jumpers. He looked out of control at times, but he has that Dywane Wade ability to slash and draw the foul.

Ennis looked smooth out there, but was very passive to start the game. It was great to see his clutch play late in the game before he was taken out. He actually reminds me a lot of Steph Curry sans the shooting touch. If you recall, Steph's athleticism and defensive ability was questioned coming out of Davidson.

Speaking of Curry's, Seth struggled on the court and the team struggled offensively when he was out there. I was surprised how much play he got especially because I wanted to watch Ennis, but with another game today it's understandable.

Len and Plumlee struggled offensively without consistent point guard play. Miles needs to be spoon fed and nobody was really helping him. Neither showed much touch with their mid-range game nor did they post-up. However, it didn't seem like the Suns were trying to post up either of them as Len primarily touched the ball at the top of the key. Len got pushed around on the defensive boards by GS's big foreign center.

Alec Brown and Christmas were launching brick after brick. It's hard to imagine Christmas making the roster this years considering our depth at guard and his unimpressive play. He supposed to be a shooter and I just haven't seen that from him. Alec follows in his shot every time like he knows it's going to be a miss. I know they teach you to do that at a young age, but he needs to follow through and have the confidence that it's going in. Besides, if a player launches a three from the top of the key he really should be thinking more about getting back on D in case of a long rebound.

Nobody else really caught my eye aside from Elias Harris, but I did not see enough of him aside from his big frame to make a judgement.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave