Game of Thrones (HBO)

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
But I don't think it served this season as well as Blackwater did for Season 2.

I was underwhelmed by the Blackwater battles. This episode blew that episode out of the water from an Epic Battle standpoint IMO. This was probably one of my favorite episodes of the entire series.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
I was underwhelmed by the Blackwater battles. This episode blew that episode out of the water from an Epic Battle standpoint IMO. This was probably one of my favorite episodes of the entire series.

Agree. Blackwater had a more consistent build-up, so the implications were clearly laid out. But the execution left a little to be desired.

This battle was 100 x's better, but it felt disjointed with the rest of the season. A couple of check-ins with Mance would have done a world of good, similar to how they started checking in with Stannis leading up to Blackwater.

I'm not complaining though. Still the best show on TV right now by far. Turning Alliser Thorne from a heel to a guy that made me want to stand up and cheer was a masterstroke.

Last edited:

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought Aemon's talk with Sam was extremely powerful and very emotional for such a simple scene.

Loved how an old blind Aemon described the girl he was in love with and said that he could see her more clearly than Sam who was standing right there next to him. Just really great dialog between the two that ultimately inspires Sam and ends up with Sam finally growing a pair.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Count me in the extreme minority who felt whatever about this episode. The Jon Snow Castle Black storyline just doesn't move the needle much for me.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
Count me in the extreme minority who felt whatever about this episode. The Jon Snow Castle Black storyline just doesn't move the needle much for me.

It does drag at times, doesn't it? Presumably his story will eventually merge with the larger narrative. Same with Dany. Otherwise, why check in with them at all?

And this was one hell of a check in!

Last edited:

AZZenny

Reaction score

That, in spades. This season has felt disorganized. I assumed we'd get more Manse along the way - an actor of that stature and caliber yet invisible. And just forgetting about Tyrion after last week was a cardinal sin.

Obviously they needed 12 or 14 episodes to do it right.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I assumed we'd get more Manse along the way - an actor of that stature and caliber yet invisible. And just forgetting about Tyrion after last week was a cardinal sin.

Obviously they needed 12 or 14 episodes to do it right.

Ha. You should try reading 1000 pages of Book 4 where certain major characters were completely left out of that book. One episode doesn't seem so bad.

And chew on this, after next week you will have to wait an entire year to find out the result of whatever Cliff Hanger happens in the Finale. I can't believe this season is almost over already.

:bang:

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
Ha. You should try reading 1000 pages of Book 4 where certain major characters were completely left out of that book. One episode doesn't seem so bad.

And chew on this, after next week you will have to wait an entire year to find out the result of whatever Cliff Hanger happens in the Finale. I can't believe this season is almost over already.

:bang:

I think everything in the north will be a cliff hanger and prob no white walker scene unless its the very last one.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
If it follows the book, the North is about to get a whole lot more interesting.

I am torn. There are at least three scenes from book 3 that could be killer cliffhangers for the season finale. Can't decide which one should get that "honor". I just hope it isn't a made up or a Bran scene.

(By "killer", I mean a scene that isn't a cheap shock, but more of a natural conclusion to a character's storyline this season)

Last edited:

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
Show runners say next week is the finest episode they've produced to date. (Big words)

Also, it will be 66 minutes long, so set DVRs accordingly.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
Season Four Finale is called "The Children". Interesting tease. Burning questions for what they will show in the final hour:

--What happens with the Lannisters, specifically Tyrion (the hated child)?
--Will the battle at the Wall finish or will it carry over to next season?
--Will Arya and the Hound finally settle down/split up? Or will they keep walking and talking?
--Will Stannis reemerge from Bravos, or does he need time to rebuild his fleet with his new fortune?
--Will Bran ever get to that damn tree with a face on it (child of the forest)? If so, will he do ANYTHING or meet ANYONE when he gets there this season? Or will he just arrive? And will he be able to legally rent a car when we see him again? (no longer a child)
--Will Brienne and Pod meet a Stark, ANY Stark? If so, that could be a good ending for the season, but I doubt we get that.
--Do we see the White Walkers and Craster's children?
--Given the episode title, I think "The Children" refers to Dany's dragons, who have been getting a little out of control this season. Does it come to a head?

I don't think we'll see much of Sansa. Teaming with Littlefinger seems like a natural place to stop her story until next year.

I wonder if Theon's story has sputtered out until next season as well. Seems like a natural place to pause, but the episode title could also refer to a Ramsay "Bolton" sighting.

That is a lot of ground to cover in 66 minutes, so I fear it will either feel disjointed, or it will leave a lot of cliffhangers all over the place. Not sure which I prefer.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Season Four Finale is called "The Children". Interesting tease. Burning questions for what they will show in the final hour:

--What happens with the Lannisters, specifically Tyrion (the hated child)?
--Will the battle at the Wall finish or will it carry over to next season?
--Will Arya and the Hound finally settle down/split up? Or will they keep walking and talking?
--Will Stannis reemerge from Bravos, or does he need time to rebuild his fleet with his new fortune?
--Will Bran ever get to that damn tree with a face on it (child of the forest)? If so, will he do ANYTHING or meet ANYONE when he gets there this season? Or will he just arrive? And will he be able to legally rent a car when we see him again? (no longer a child)
--Will Brienne and Pod meet a Stark, ANY Stark? If so, that could be a good ending for the season, but I doubt we get that.
--Do we see the White Walkers and Craster's children?
--Given the episode title, I think "The Children" refers to Dany's dragons, who have been getting a little out of control this season. Does it come to a head?

I don't think we'll see much of Sansa. Teaming with Littlefinger seems like a natural place to stop her story until next year.

I wonder if Theon's story has sputtered out until next season as well. Seems like a natural place to pause, but the episode title could also refer to a Ramsay "Bolton" sighting.

That is a lot of ground to cover in 66 minutes, so I fear it will either feel disjointed, or it will leave a lot of cliffhangers all over the place. Not sure which I prefer.

Dany really drew the short stick this season. Her storyline went nowhere...in fact, it literally went BACKWARDS to reclaim territories she already lost. Sure, the shoe finally dropped with her biggest confidant, but otherwise, they didn't do much with her this season.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
Dany really drew the short stick this season. Her storyline went nowhere...in fact, it literally went BACKWARDS to reclaim territories she already lost. Sure, the shoe finally dropped with her biggest confidant, but otherwise, they didn't do much with her this season.

Here chapters are easily the most frustrating to read too, for that exact reason. Of all the characters, she is the only one concerned with ruling instead of conquering, but damn it is boring to watch!

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
If after this season ends I want to start reading the books picking up where the show left off where would I start?

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If after this season ends I want to start reading the books picking up where the show left off where would I start?

I don't know the tv show but book 5 is pretty good so far. :)

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score

Depending on how much of Book 3 they wrap up next week, I would say Book 4. But prepare to be frustrated.

It mostly deals with characters we haven't met yet on the show. They are really awesome characters, but if you are like me, you just want to know what happens to your favorite characters and don't want to spend time with these minor characters, important as they might eventually become.

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
I don't know the tv show but book 5 is pretty good so far. :)
well on the show they are at the part right after the red viper and mountain duel and the beginning of the war at the wall.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
well on the show they are at the part right after the red viper and mountain duel and the beginning of the war at the wall.

The Wall stuff happens way earlier in the book. They jumbled the order for TV. Not sure if they have enough time to have the TV show catch up to the end of the events at the Wall or not. Everything else has pretty much caught up though.

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
The Wall stuff happens way earlier in the book. They jumbled the order for TV. Not sure if they have enough time to have the TV show catch up to the end of the events at the Wall or not. Everything else has pretty much caught up though.
so should I start on book 4?

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
Yes. I assume they will edit it down to close out Book 3 this week and you'll be set for Book 4.
sweet have some long plane trips ahead of me could use a long book to hold me over

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I skipped book 4 completely after a few chapters. Don't think I missed much.

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
I think I will read all the books just to get the real grasp but when the hell will book 6 and 7 be released? Is it some huge mystery?