Game of Thrones (HBO)

Town Drunk

Longest serving ASFN lurker
Reaction score
OK, can't say I am familiar or intimately knowledgeable about trial by combat but since

the Mountain died as well, doesn't that say he is both innocent and guilty?!?!?

What no mulligan? :D

Probably because the Prince died first :)

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
OK, can't say I am familiar or intimately knowledgeable about trial by combat but since

the Mountain died as well, doesn't that say he is both innocent and guilty?!?!?

What no mulligan? :D

Tyrion: I call shenanigans!

I don't think the victor is dead by episode's end.

RE: The Mountain. This is one area where I will be pissed if they deviate from the books:

I really do hope they make a point to show that the spear was poisoned and that the Mountain's death is a long, drawn-out, excruciating way to go. Succumbing to his injuries in the arena is not satisfying enough for such a repulsive character.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Amazing episode!

Aria's laugh was perfect.

I also liked the banter between the Lanister brothers about their dumb cousin that was dropped on his head. Dinklage is such a great actor and I couldn't think of a better actor to play the role of Tyrion.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Amazing episode!

Aria's laugh was perfect.

I also liked the banter between the Lanister brothers about their dumb cousin that was dropped on his head. Dinklage is such a great actor and I couldn't think of a better actor to play the role of Tyrion.

Arya and the Hound and all of Tyrion's stuff is golden. Just great TV. Arya laughing was one of the best things the show has ever done. She pretty much reacts as the audience would. And considering Arya never smiles in this show, it was so great to see her come out of her shell, so to speak.

As for Tyrion, it helps when he has a great actor to play off of in Nikolaj Coster-Waldau. He's great as Jamie, and pretty much perfect casting. A part of me really wants both brothers to stick it to Tywin and Cersei.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
That makes no sense. They've been traveling to the Vale for like 4 episodes! Do you think they were never going to make it?

Still can't figure out why you watch ANYTHING.

No, I didn't think they'd make it. Yoren was traveling to the wall, so duh, of course he was going to make it! Tyrion was riding for King's Landing when he was taken in that tavern, so duh, of course he was going to make it!

This is Game of Thrones, Chap. Sorry, dumb question. And yes, I get it. I don't have the same tastes as you so I should never dislike anything and I should shut up on here about what I don't like. Boo hoo, I'm not going to. Deal.

As for Tyrion, it helps when he has a great actor to play off of in Nikolaj Coster-Waldau. He's great as Jamie, and pretty much perfect casting.

Yes he is. Great acting all around. I really can't think of any actor on the show not putting in a great showing.

cardfaninfl

Demographically significant
Reaction score
I think, increasingly, we're going to see show-only viewers love it and book lovers gripe about it. I DESPISE what they've done with Sansa. Sorry, but she's an empty-headed buffoon still. The pandering to the Stark lovers has completely flipped her character.

I think this is a good example of how some things do not translate well from book to screen. Sansa's whimpering and cowering through FOUR tv seasons was getting old. Each of her scenes became predictable and almost pointless. She is a shallow, entitled little brat that likes to play the victim card... sheesh, we get it.

But this episode, her dismissive way of speaking to Baelish while explaining her calculated action, and then her confident gate walking toward Robin (and creepy pedophile leer from Littlefinger) was great viewing.

Stout

Reaction score
I think this is a good example of how some things do not translate well from book to screen. Sansa's whimpering and cowering through FOUR tv seasons was getting old. Each of her scenes became predictable and almost pointless. She is a shallow, entitled little brat that likes to play the victim card... sheesh, we get it.

But this episode, her dismissive way of speaking to Baelish while explaining her calculated action, and then her confident gate walking toward Robin (and creepy pedophile leer from Littlefinger) was great viewing.

Yeah, but she left the whimpering, cowering girl in King's Landing. At the Vale, she became the stoic survivor, and I think that would have played just fine. This gross change simply reeks of cheap Stark fanboy and fangirl satisfaction. And I don't like it when shows go cheap.

Edit: It did view well, I'll never say otherwise. The only part of the show that I think has come across as really lame and stupid is putting off almost all the wildling stuff until the very end. That reeks of writer need trumping logic, and presented a gaping plot hole. The rest of the stuff I complain about is the show needlessly changing things, though it works well as just a TV show.

Last edited:

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
Arya and the Hound and all of Tyrion's stuff is golden. Just great TV. Arya laughing was one of the best things the show has ever done. She pretty much reacts as the audience would. And considering Arya never smiles in this show, it was so great to see her come out of her shell, so to speak.

As for Tyrion, it helps when he has a great actor to play off of in Nikolaj Coster-Waldau. He's great as Jamie, and pretty much perfect casting. A part of me really wants both brothers to stick it to Tywin and Cersei.

I like this post...

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
This is awesome:

http://sploid.gizmodo.com/somebody-fixed-the-red-viper-vs-the-mountain-fight-in-g-1586091280

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't have the books as a background but I am just fine with how they are potraying Sansa on the show. Anybody in real life who has been what she has been through would more than likely be a big pile of emotional goo or thrown herself off of one of those scenic cliff sides on the show.

IMO she is playing the victim because she HAS been the victim with someone around her dying or her getting manipulated each season.

Having said that....it's refreshing to see her take some control over her circumstances and show something new. It was time.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
I think its bad. In the books Littlefinger stays the mastermind everything goes according to his plans.
Now in the series sansa bails him out and looks to take control of him and play her own games.

Stout

Reaction score
I think its bad. In the books Littlefinger stays the mastermind everything goes according to his plans.
Now in the series sansa bails him out and looks to take control of him and play her own games.

Exactly. Absolutely ruins two characters. *Sigh* oh well. At least they didn't screw up the wall stu--oh, crap :(

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
I don't mind making Sansa a little stronger. But it did undercut Littlefinger's role as master manipulator of the series.

AZZenny

Reaction score
They SAID this season was deviating more from the books, and it will continue. Geo. Martin said he was fine with it -- he's even contributed to some of it.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
Could have used more lead up to the battle to give it more weight. Still...Great episode! Given the scope in the book vs a TV budget, I think they did the battle justice! At least so far...

Last edited:

AZZenny

Reaction score
SEASON FINALE!?! Next week is the Season Finale? That's absurd! Totally unacceptable. Piss me off!

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
Doesn't seem like they can tie things up enough in 1 hour something will be left for next season. I'd doubt we see any wall scenes next week. Should all be kings landing the reunion of sansa and aria and the dragons

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
Doesn't seem like they can tie things up enough in 1 hour something will be left for next season. I'd doubt we see any wall scenes next week. Should all be kings landing the reunion of sansa and aria and the dragons

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

I think the preview for next week showed Jon and Mance talking, so I think we get a little something up North.

This season has to leave some things undone from the third book now or the ending will feel very rushed. Lots of characters are very far away from their Book 3 ending, while others have already passed that spot by. If they try to tie up Book 3 in one hour, I don't think they can do all those unfinished story lines justice.

Stout

Reaction score
I think the preview for next week showed Jon and Mance talking, so I think we get a little something up North.

This season has to leave some things undone from the third book now or the ending will feel very rushed. Lots of characters are very far away from their Book 3 ending, while others have already passed that spot by. If they try to tie up Book 3 in one hour, I don't think they can do all those unfinished story lines justice.

Yep. For as cool as this episode was--and it was flipping awesome--by stuffing it all in the end, stupidly and inexplicably, they will either have to rush it or screw it up by leaving major plots out. Also, it looks like they're going to add a bunch of extra made-up crap next week, to take up more time. Also, it's terrible storytelling to end the previous episode on a cliffhanger and forget all about it. In short, an awesome battle episode that didn't have to be stuffed all together. They screwed up earlier in the season, and it'll bite them in the rear now. It already has, in fact.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
Yep. For as cool as this episode was--and it was flipping awesome--by stuffing it all in the end, stupidly and inexplicably, they will either have to rush it or screw it up by leaving major plots out. Also, it looks like they're going to add a bunch of extra made-up crap next week, to take up more time. Also, it's terrible storytelling to end the previous episode on a cliffhanger and forget all about it. In short, an awesome battle episode that didn't have to be stuffed all together. They screwed up earlier in the season, and it'll bite them in the rear now. It already has, in fact.

I do wonder why they couldn't have strung out the Castle Black stuff over 3-4 episodes instead of making up battles at Craster's Keep. Practical/budget constraints is the only excusable reason. If it was purely a storytelling decision, it was the wrong one. Great stand-alone episode. One of my favorite, even. But I don't think it served this season as well as Blackwater did for Season 2.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
EPIC episode!

Loved it was all up at the wall. Giants and Mammoths looked really good for a TV show series. Almost had a LOTR feel to it.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score

You know nothing Stout Snow