Longmire (Netflix)

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I'm really enjoying it. I mean, yeah, you have to suspend your disbelief that middle-of-nowhere Wyoming is suddenly a hotbed of crime and murder, but other than that, it's cool. Love the whole spirituality angle they've given him. Oh, and Sackhoff is always good for a show :D

NMCard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I'm enjoying it. It is filmed here in NM. They just signed a 2nd season a few weeks ago.

Cardinals.Ken

That's Mr. Riff-Raff to you!
Reaction score
My wife and I have be enjoying it so far. I had a feeling that I'd seen Robert Taylor (Sheriff Longmire) in something previously, but couldn't put my finger on, so I IMDB'ed him.

He played Agent Jones in The Matrix. Also found out he's Australian...stinking Aussies are everywhere nowadays!

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm not sure if it's a Cheyenne thing, but Lou Diamond Phillips' character never uses contractions while speaking. It's really odd.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm really enjoying it. I mean, yeah, you have to suspend your disbelief that middle-of-nowhere Wyoming is suddenly a hotbed of crime and murder, but other than that, it's cool. Love the whole spirituality angle they've given him. Oh, and Sackhoff is always good for a show :D

This is actually a critical theme to the books and the show: The encroachment of modern darkness on the U.S. West. And it really is happening. It's good timing, with the boom of natural gas in that region bringing in tens of thousands of roughnecks into the region, lots of them landing jobs without any criminal background searches. The invasion of crime has been going on for the last two decades, really, but it's heightened now with the mass influx of people on the low end of the financial spectrum desperate work, moving to a region without the infrastructure to support that kind of growth. Wyoming, Montana, the Dakotas ... they're all very complicated now, with the ultra wealthy and the lowest-income families, with NDN and whites, with hippies and militant extremists all trying to figure out how to exist with a bulging middle class. I find it absolutely fascinating, perfect fodder for character study on modern life.

If you're not watching this show, you are missing out one of the truly great American TV characters. It is an unpretentious, unapologetic police procedural, the lead character played at perfect pitch. The actor is Robert Taylor. He's amazing. You've probably never heard of him before, because he's Australian, but I can almost guarantee you've seen him before. He was in the Matrix:

Attachments

• robert-taylor.jpg
    robert-taylor.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
These bore me anymore.

Yeah, me, too. It's why I resisted watching this show at first. The world didn't need another Law & Order/CSI/NCIS/XYZ show. This one pays homage to those while turning it on its head. It sort of reinvents that whole genre without breaking all the rules.

Cardinals.Ken

Reaction score
You've probably never heard of him before, because he's Australian, but I can almost guarantee you've seen him before. He was in the Matrix:

You must have me on ignore.

I had a feeling that I'd seen Robert Taylor (Sheriff Longmire) in something previously, but couldn't put my finger on, so I IMDB'ed him.

He played Agent Jones in The Matrix. Also found out he's Australian...stinking Aussies are everywhere nowadays!

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must have me on ignore.

No. It just comes naturally.

:D

Sorry, man. Sometimes I get a little full of myself and just spout off on a message board without reading what people have already written.. That's what makes me so unique on the Interwebs.

Cardinals.Ken

Reaction score
No. It just comes naturally.

:D

Sorry, man. Sometimes I get a little full of myself and just spout off on a message board without reading what people have already written.. That's what makes me so unique on the Interwebs.

You jazz drummers are all the same. LOL

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just freaking awesome ending to Season 2. They've really cranked up the tension on this show going into Season 3.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:thumbup: I hate it when a show gets a great story going and then frickin' ends the season, though :(

That's how you know a season is over.

This show reminds of a lot of indie movies from the 90s. Low budget, so they shoot in scenic wilderness. Lots of gratuitous environment cutaways put to music. Dialogue can be sparse -- lots of face acting, knowing glances, nuanced looks, etc. Lots of lighting effects, shadows (the gratuitous X-File shadow shots!), overexposures, silhouettes. It feels like they make every word count, nothing wasted. I suppose I'm saying the noir cinematic style of the show is a big part of its appeal.

The corruption angle is a bit too predictable, but it's a plot device wrapped interesting characters, so I'm all on board for another season.

I'm going to be real disappointed if Longmire's wife was killed as part of a frame-up conspiracy. That's a little too neatly wrapped around their new villain. I liked it better when I thought Henry killed Longmire's wife's killer, and they were both living with this dark secret. This new angle makes it much less dark. Almost honorable.

I feel like maybe they liked the idea of this good guy's dark side, but now that they actually have a running show, they wanted to redeem him. Man, I hope not.

Last edited:

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I see a new season of this started last night. I recorded it but I haven't watched the first two seasons. Will I be totally lost picking it up now? Is it worth watching the first two to get to this?

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I see a new season of this started last night. I recorded it but I haven't watched the first two seasons. Will I be totally lost picking it up now? Is it worth watching the first two to get to this?

Yes, it is definitely worth watching. It's a procedural, but the mythology is alive and well at the beginning of this season.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Definitely watch from the beginning. It's on Netflix. :D

MrYeahBut

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Don't have Netflix but I was just thinking about signing up because I want to watch the final season of The Killing.

I used droid playstore to watch episodes of Vikings I missed. Probably cost more that way than a month of Netflix.
Question, can you record content from there?
Are there different levels to pay for, etc.

Edit to add... I've spent a fair amount of time in Wyo and Montana so I have a pretty good feel for how it is there, so that may add to it for me.

Last edited:

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Yes, it is definitely worth watching. It's a procedural, but the mythology is alive and well at the beginning of this season.

Yep.

Ditto.

This is an excellent show that kind of came out of nowhere for me. I found out about it just before it premiered, because Katee Sackhoff was going to be in it, and have seen it from the beginning. Definitely watch it from the beginning. I had to remember what was going on at the end of last season, it threw me that much, so you'd be in head scratcher mode if you tried to pick it up at the start of season 3.

MrYeahBut

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just binge watched the first season on Netflix. Really enjoying it. I'm already sad it'll be over if I watch season2. I'm new to Netflix so how long will it be before they get season 3 up?