BASKING in Ellington

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
Again, getting touchy with Ellington

:bang:
link
http://blog.azcardinals.com/2014/05/28/again-getting-touchy-with-ellington/

I can't get over the thought that BASK is going to pass the Cards to death, again. As the Stupid Niners run for their 4th NFCC game in a row, and the Stupid Seahawks run toward a SB repeat. continuity and consistency of time proven football fundamentals, The rest of the NFL gets lighter and faster focusing on the passing game.

I do not see any other team that would expect 25-30 touches out of Andre Ellington. He was great at his limited rookie role and has earned more touches, but our backfield engine was Mendenhall and we sucked until we got a threat of a run game to help Carson Palmer with Play Action. Even if he could handle 15 runs and 15 passes a game, Dwyer has to set the table for him.

Dwyer started 6 games in his career, and had 50 carries last year. He is a back up on a few teams in the NFL? I don't think he starts for anyone but us. he does have a nice average on a light load as a 230 lb power back to compliment Ellington.

BA wants pass blockers at RB, It is his priority skill set at tailback, with no Full back, and drafted a TE with the same pass blocking skillset. The Run game is not a primary weapon, it is an after thought- at best a means to make it easier to pass more efficient.

Same crap Edge complained about to Whiz, except Edge was on track to be a top All time pass catching RB when Whiz benched him for THT- as we got our AZ handed too us for several games before Edge got to start again the last game of 08 and the actual playoff wins.

Yea passing to a championship still seems feast or famine, even the exceptions like GSOT had a run threat every down. Peyton Manning and Denver fell hard last year proving my point exactly, Continuity and consistency in all phases of the game start and end with the run game. I seen the undefeated pass happy patriots lose to a run game but I also seen the undefeated Dolphins win with a back up QB through the Playoffs, with unquestionable continuity and consistency in the run game.

As an old school Army Combat Engineer Leader, I assess the situation, I reduce the risk of mistakes that help the opponent and I don't give up the ground I gain easily, I appreciate the inches and the effort needed to fortify those inches. force the opponent to get behind and take big risks, and be ready to capitalize when they do. The Cardinal virtues remain principle win lose or draw. More battles are won from mistakes than by out performing the opponent.

Yet like golf 1 great shot per hole can over come 3 stinkers and that's what BASK is counting on. But the Niners or the Seahawks or even the Rams and Fischer in our division. So I prepare for the worse and hope for the best.

For those few that understand me, I heard a story about WW2 as a young soldier- HITLER, CHURCHILL and MUSSOLINI were engaged in peace treaty talks and they could not agree on terms to stop the war. The conversation was all dried up, and Churchill looked down at a pond with fish in it, and said I think the first person that can get a fish out of this pond - is going to win this war.

Hitler pulled his pistol and emptied it trying to kill a fish, He ordered Mussolini into the water to catch a fish- after soaking his wool clothes Mussolini got tired stopped trying.

Churchill pulled his teaspoon out of his tea cup and walked down to the water and got a spoon full of water and through it over his shoulder, Hitler asked what the hell he was doing? Churchill said he was going to empty the pond! it may take a long long time - But we are going to win this WAR!

I know the difference between War and Football, but my principles remain true.

Last edited:

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's pretty much talk in my opnion I don't expect him to get that many touches I see them using him alot like the Rams used Marshal Faulkalso using short passes as running plays sometimes

52brandon

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I think Niklas will be a great blocker for Ellington. Especially if they send him left. Between Niklas, Veldheer, Cooper and Sendlein, there should be some serious blocking ability

DoTheDew

Registered
Reaction score
The best RB in the league over the past 7 years has been Adrian Peterson and it hasn't gotten the Vikings anywhere. You know why Seattle can win a SB running a lot and the Vikings can't win squat? Because the Seahawks have an elite defense.

Teams like the Vikings will never be successful as run first teams until they get a defense. We had a defense last year and probably would have benefited from more running early in the year. Our defense probably takes a step or two back this year which means we need our offense to be more explosive. 3 yards and a cloud of dust works great when your defense can keep the score low. Not so great if it can't.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
If Watford wins the RG position, he along with Cooper will give the Cards one of the best 'pulling' tandems in the NFL. Throw in improved blocking from the TE position along with a better passing threat, and it WILL make Ellington a League leader (or at least close to the top) in YPC. And while I expect him to get more carries than last year, I don't believe it will be that many more, but he'll finish close to 1K, rushing. JMO.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
I think THESMEL finally went all the way and just compared Whiz to Hitler! :D

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

vinnymac

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I do believe in running the ball first. You have to establish the run. Even the pass happy Packers and Patriots are starting to run the ball more. BA knows that. Let's not forget about Stephan Taylor. I believe he going to have big year.

OP
OP
THESMEL

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
no no no no

I like and appreciate Whiz but not his behavior- specifically OC of the SB Steelers that were top in rush attempts- Comes to AZ and passes more than any team in history and rubs Kurt out - then back to top run OC in San Diego leading to a new HC position.

While only our current enemy and its 2000 year history is more ruthless, hateful, intolerant and deadly than Hitler's attempt at world dominance. Our enemy's governing document is the same as their religious document- Which calls for the death of all infidels- which includes Me, Whiz and everyone's babies. They continue to plan and execute and laugh at our attempts at diplomacy, which if successful would condemn them - not us -to hell, by their governing document. Or president said at the start that congress and people would lose the stomach for this war, and we have. I think it is world war 3, and will eventually go to old school goal of unconditional surrender, and old school war tactics- as what we are doing now remains ineffective.

I just feel that Ellington's success will depend on Dwyer's success - and not the other way around.

I think THESMEL finally went all the way and just compared Whiz to Hitler! :D

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave