By 2020 - 4 new Cities with NFL Teams

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't think a team other than the Bills moves to Toronto, and my guess is that they don't. The Bills don't own Toronto the way they think they do: the "popular" teams like the Pats, Steelers, and Niners are just as popular in Toronto.

They could though, first by just improving on the field. The new stadium will be a draw for Toronto fans, especially if it ties into Niagara tourism, or is just a cool place downtown. The proposed site between Buffalo and Rochester is a bad idea, IMO.

I believe Canadian NFL broadcasts are divided between broadcasters according to time slots (1pmET/SNF/MNF vs. 4pmET/Thursday) so it's hard for either network to "own" the Bills (though the former gets most of their home games).

One thing that could work well in Toronto is a London-type situation where they rotate teams. But personally I like home teams to keep their home games...

I was thinking more of expansion then the Bills ending up in Toronto.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Why would Mexico City be a good place for a NFL team?

vinnymac

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Sounds like someone has been playing A lot of Madden Football this offseason.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
What? My guess is less justified than any sports writer who dreams up what they write each day?

Yes.

Its the same reason I don't get my medical advise from Jenny McCarthy.

And yes, I understand that means all these posts I have made on this board are just as "unprofessional" as your own.

We are hacks, not that there is anything wrong with that. :D

Like The Utah Blizzards, BTW.

Last edited:

Matt L

formerly known as mattyboy
Reaction score
Move Buffalo to Salt Lake City. Move Jacksonville to Los Angeles. Move Tampa Bay to London.

I don't think Mexico City is a good market for a NFL team.

MLB franchise may be a different story.

chickenhead

Reaction score
I was thinking more of expansion then the Bills ending up in Toronto.

Got it.

My guess is that the Bills would challenge Toronto expansion, though in reality Philadelphia and the two New York teams are actually closer to each other by driving distance. Not to to mention Oakland and SF: I can't remember whether the Niners opposed the Raiders' move back to Oakland or not...

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Got it.

My guess is that the Bills would challenge Toronto expansion, though in reality Philadelphia and the two New York teams are actually closer to each other by driving distance. Not to to mention Oakland and SF: I can't remember whether the Niners opposed the Raiders' move back to Oakland or not...

The thought that Buffalo would attempt to claim a major metropolitan area in a separate country is rare arrogance, especially when you consider that Toronto sports fans have no interest in the Bills.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Neg. Buffalo has been loyal to that team and they show up, good or bad.

25% of ticket buyers come from the Niagara region in Ontario, Canada and Rochester, NY. Even with the lowest seat prices in the league they can't fill the stadium without these out of town fans, from what I've read.

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
25% of ticket buyers come from the Niagara region in Ontario, Canada and Rochester, NY. Even with the lowest seat prices in the league they can't fill the stadium without these out of town fans, from what I've read.

Perhaps I should have said the area fans. My point is that the Buffalo area, including the Canadian side has been loyal to the team. Keep them there. It's good for football.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Perhaps I should have said the area fans. My point is that the Buffalo area, including the Canadian side has been loyal to the team. Keep them there. It's good for football.

No problem, to my mind, with keeping them there or expanding to Toronto, which in no way effects the gate in Buffalo.

chickenhead

Reaction score
As a loose comparison, there are definitely Sabres fans in the Niagara region, but nothing close to the number of Leafs fans. The Leafs are obviously older and hockey is more popular, but I would guess that an expansion Toronto NFL team would eventually capture most of the NFL fans in Ontario.

What the Bills will say is that it affects 15% of the gate, and the larger viewing population that represents. I live in Toronto, and though the Bills aspect is often overstated, they are the team that gets the most local coverage, if only because of proximity and overlapping media. I'm not saying the Bills should consider it exclusive territory, but I would assume that the new Bills owners would make a case to the other owners that they need this territory in order to keep the team viable in Buffalo. It may even be something negotiated in the sale.

But maybe the other owners will want the expansion fees, and figure that a regional rival will help Buffalo. If they're in the same division it would certainly make for great media.

English on tour

Eng-gur-land Eng-gur-land
Reaction score
London worries me a lot.

Every NFL fan in the UK has a team and those Wembley games that sell so well are probably only 10% cockneys.

If a team came to the UK 1 no way would i ditch the Cards, 2 if I went see a London franchise it would maybe be once or twice a year ( pans unless you are minted or live closer most people would be the same).

So where does the fan base come from?

Maybe second generation fans, but you tell me..if they aren't willing the stadium you think the thing sees out more than 3 years?

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
As a loose comparison, there are definitely Sabres fans in the Niagara region, but nothing close to the number of Leafs fans. The Leafs are obviously older and hockey is more popular, but I would guess that an expansion Toronto NFL team would eventually capture most of the NFL fans in Ontario.

What the Bills will say is that it affects 15% of the gate, and the larger viewing population that represents. I live in Toronto, and though the Bills aspect is often overstated, they are the team that gets the most local coverage, if only because of proximity and overlapping media. I'm not saying the Bills should consider it exclusive territory, but I would assume that the new Bills owners would make a case to the other owners that they need this territory in order to keep the team viable in Buffalo. It may even be something negotiated in the sale.

But maybe the other owners will want the expansion fees, and figure that a regional rival will help Buffalo. If they're in the same division it would certainly make for great media.

Bow to your greater knowledge, but, I've read that there are key players in Toronto who have been working the backrooms of the NFL for many a year.

Get most of my stuff from John Kryk of the Toronto Sun.

Matt L

formerly known as mattyboy
Reaction score

Buffalo has a population of 260,000 people how is that market good for the league?

chickenhead

Reaction score
Bow to your greater knowledge, but, I've read that there are key players in Toronto who have been working the backrooms of the NFL for many a year.

Get most of my stuff from John Kryk of the Toronto Sun.

Definitely true. One of the longtime Jays execs got into sports originally in an attempt to get an NFL franchise for Toronto.

Lots of fans here didn't like the Bills "Toronto Series" because it felt like the team was being stolen, and many would rather have an expansion team. I can relate, and despite my love for the Cardinals, would rather Phoenix have gotten an expansion team at the time.

Another wrinkle is that the Jays are making the Rogers Centre baseball-only with grass in a few years, and the plan to have the Argonauts move into a renovated BMO Field (home of the MLS club) has fallen through.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Definitely true. One of the longtime Jays execs got into sports originally in an attempt to get an NFL franchise for Toronto.

Lots of fans here didn't like the Bills "Toronto Series" because it felt like the team was being stolen, and many would rather have an expansion team. I can relate, and despite my love for the Cardinals, would rather Phoenix have gotten an expansion team at the time.

Another wrinkle is that the Jays are making the Rogers Centre baseball-only with grass in a few years, and the plan to have the Argonauts move into a renovated BMO Field (home of the MLS club) has fallen through.

Bottom line: Argonauts will have to find a new field as I doubt the baseball team will allow them to chew up the turf.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
4 new teams by 2020? Lol

If the NFL puts a team in London it will be a joke IMO. The travel schedule to & from will be a disaster on players bodies mentally & physically IMO... I can't even think of a good game I've watched on tv outside of the US except maybe the Niners/Cards game & that was in Mexico.

LA? They've not supported the NFL game attendance wise since the early 80's & it was hit & miss anyway so give it up!!!

Add more than a possible 2 teams to 34 & I think the product on the field gets heavily diluted with inferior talent. The NFL needs to wake up & expand it's game in other ways, not with more teams imo

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
4 new teams by 2020? Lol

If the NFL puts a team in London it will be a joke IMO. The travel schedule to & from will be a disaster on players bodies mentally & physically IMO... I can't even think of a good game I've watched on tv outside of the US except maybe the Niners/Cards game & that was in Mexico.

LA? They've not supported the NFL game attendance wise since the early 80's & it was hit & miss anyway so give it up!!!

Add more than a possible 2 teams to 34 & I think the product on the field gets heavily diluted with inferior talent. The NFL needs to wake up & expand it's game in other ways, not with more teams imo

1. Travel is easily accommodated.

2. If football could accommodate the creation of the AFL and its integration into the NFL, it can retain a competitive product with the addition of a few teams.

3. It's going to happen. IMO.