My dinner with a scout

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
As I have mentioned, I have a friend of mine who is a high ranking scout in the NFL and, last night, I had dinner with him and we watched the OSU/Clemson game together. I asked him about alot of players and thought I'd pass along some info. I'm paraphrasing and going by memory as we sat and had dinner and a few beers for about 5 hours. I'll post thoughts as they randomly enter my head.

First thing we talked about was Eugene Monroe. In the past, I have mistakenly said the Cards were not interested at the time. Translation can get lost in text messages and what I should have said was the Cards were not interested in Monroe for the 4th and 5th round pick that Baltimore gave. He said the Cards are very tight with their draft picks(not a bad thing) and, while they were very interested(emphasis on very), they did not want to go the distance Bmore did and would not give their 4th rounder for Monroe.

He said Monroe was good LT but not a top LT. He's a very good kid but has a very high opinion of himself and THINKS he's an elite LT and will likely want paid like one.

We the talked about some college potential draftees:

Carlos Hyde: You know he's my favorite RB in the draft. Scout agreed he's very talented but there are "issues" with him. Without putting words in his mouth, it sounds like Hyde is kind of a POS as a person. Overall, if he declares, he thinks the big back from LSU may be the best.

Anthony Barr: He's my favorite defensive player in the draft. Again, there's no questioning his talent but questioned his motor and that he takes plays off. I hadn't heard that about Barr before.

Clowney and Manziel: Two guys who are extremely full of themselves(no surprise there) and both will have to be managed/checked in the NFL. Manziel is tough to project. If Clowney plays, there's no one better. But will he play?

Cyrus Kouandjio: had an uneven year. He got off to a slow start, then was the most dominant tackle in college during the middle part of the season and then struggled toward the end. If he declares, he's probably the most talented OT in the draft, but not the best....right now.

Taylor Lewan: like myself, he's not a big fan of Lewan.

He absolutely loves Sammie Watkins, and the other Clemson WR for that matter. The way his face was lighting up about Watkins made me think, if he enters the draft, it wouldn't surprise me if they somehow drafted him.

I can't believe I forgot to ask about Mettenberger.

He doesn't know BA at all, which I found surprising considering how long both have been in the NFL. Likes Keim and thinks he'll do a nice job.

He really like the Cards team and thinks they are going to be good for awhile. Big Dansby fan, Dwash...not so much(not based on on-field play).

Tajh Boyd: called him the mayor. Boyd thinks you're lucky if you get to spend time with him. Didn't get the impression he's a fan of Tajh.

Bortles: he didn't really say much because he doesn't know if he'll declare(thinks he will). I think he's a fan though.

Braxton Miller: should go back to OSU for another year.

Being in Colorado and their new laws, there are alot of players that would be happy if Denver drafted them. I'm not going to mention any players by name but there's a good number that I asked about that like the "recreational" use. There's one player, who may get drafted relatively high, where he just flat out called him an addict.

On Jonathon Cooper. Could not rave more about the kid. Thinks he was far and away the best overall football player in the draft last year. He's one his favorite players to come into the NFL in years. He said we are going to absolutely love him playing for the Cards. Great person too.

He though Ellington was a steal also. Not a big fan of Taylor as a football player. Taylor's not bad, just nothing special about him. Good kid. Had some comments about the Badger that I'll keep to myself. I didn't ask about any other of last year's draftees.

Like everyone else, big Fitz fan.

Without a doubt, projecting college QB's to the NFL is the hardest position. I used Brett Hundley as an example and asked how a guy can look so good and so bad in the same game. He said the college spread offense makes it even harder to project. Like many of us thought, alot of it just comes down to mental makeup, of course you still have to have talent too.

I told him he needs to hire me one of these days :).

For you Longhorn fans, he said Austin was his favorite college town.

Buyer beware with Clemson players. Very talented players but, for one reason or another, many don't produce.

One thing I wanted to ask and forgot was how informed these guys like Mayock, Kiper, and McShay really are.

That's all I can remember right now. I'll post more as things pop back into my pea-brain.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Enjoyed the update, thanks for sharing this with us. Sammy Watkins put on quite a show last night. Would be a steal at #20, don't think he will last that long.

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I am not trying to be rude, but there was nothing insightful about any of the above. Everything you said is pretty much already been laid out there by numerous sources. You must dig deeper! Next time take a microphone and ask probing questions. :D

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Nice stuff Cbus :thumbup:

1) anyone who's been to Austin knows how great it is! :D Me no likey the Charley Strong hire :bang:

2) Cyrus the most taleneted OT in draft? :mulli: lol Is your friends name Rod Graves, who doesn't watch games or film but just throws a dart at the board? Lol jk

3) the Barr knock reminds me of Jackson Jeffcoat, which I've seen over & over, which is why I like Kyle Van Noy :p

4) I'm not shocked by the weed comments about today's athletes...sad, but a reality.

5) sucks DWash has issues outside of football & wouldn't be all that suprised if he were sent packing in 2 years. Btw he sure seemed like less of a player when Dansby was back on this roster!!! Hmmmm

6) you should ask ur friend his impressions about McCarron the next time you get the chance

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
Nice read CBUS. That must have been a very special time for you. Thank you for sharing with us, and don't worry about forgetting to ask some of the questions. What you did disclose was very generous, as was your friend.

CtCardinals78

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Thanks for that cbus, interesting read. I'm a huge Mettenberger fan, I think he's the perfect guy to draft and let sit behind CP for two years to rehab his knee and learn the system.

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

1) anyone who's been to Austin knows how great it is! :D Me no likey the Charley Strong hire :bang:

2) Cyrus the most taleneted OT in draft? :mulli: lol Is your friends name Rod Graves, who doesn't watch games or film but just throws a dart at the board? Lol jk

3) the Barr knock reminds me of Jackson Jeffcoat, which I've seen over & over, which is why I like Kyle Van Noy :p

4) I'm not shocked by the weed comments about today's athletes...sad, but a reality.

5) sucks DWash has issues outside of football & wouldn't be all that suprised if he were sent packing in 2 years. Btw he sure seemed like less of a player when Dansby was back on this roster!!! Hmmmm

6) you should ask ur friend his impressions about McCarron the next time you get the chance

I like McCarron. I think he needs to get stronger and work on driving the ball with his lower half more. He needs help with footwork. I think he could do in the NFL exactly what he does at Alabama and that is lead a very talented team to a championship or two. The team has to be rock solid around him. He is not a difference maker.

OP
OP
Cbus cardsfan

Cbus cardsfan

Reaction score

You mentioned Van Noy. He loves him. One of his favorites for this draft. Van Noy was a guy he brought up. I didn't ask about him but he was one of the first mentions as guys he likes.

Last edited:

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Thanks Cbus, I really enjoyed this. Nice to know that the Cards were interested in Monroe and the reasons we didn't get the deal done.

Looking forward to any other thoughts.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing the info. Good read with some insight.

I too was impressed with Watkins last night.

Really like hearing that about Cooper.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Being in Colorado and their new laws, there are alot of players that would be happy if Denver drafted them. I'm not going to mention any players by name but there's a good number that I asked about that like the "recreational" use. There's one player, who may get drafted relatively high, where he just flat out called him an addict.

Well, they are in for a rude awakening.

The only magistrate that matters to their professional lives is at NFL HQ in NY.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Thanks for this

One thing this reinforces for me: The backstory on players matters. Stuff we fans rarely hear in detail.

A few years ago I played in a charity golf tourney that had a long time NFL assistant coach (not a Cards coach) His opinion was that nearly every NFL player drafted in the first four rounds has the physical skill to "make it" in the NFL, but less than half really do. The reason for that is some can't handle the mental aspect of the pro game, which he said was like 10x vs college systems in some cases. Others can't handle the free time/money combination. Others simply aren't comfortable with the jump in size/speed in the NFL.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
Clowney and Manziel: Two guys who are extremely full of themselves(no surprise there) and both will have to be managed/checked in the NFL. Manziel is tough to project. If Clowney plays, there's no one better. But will he play?
EXTREMELY!

I can't imagine playing the Rams with Clowney and Quinn on the ends. Luckily (or not) I think they'll go Mathews for LT.

Cyrus Kouandjio: had an uneven year. He got off to a slow start, then was the most dominant tackle in college during the middle part of the season and then struggled toward the end. If he declares, he's probably the most talented OT in the draft, but not the best....right now.

Kind of tackle the Cards would draft. They like the big uns outside. Pretty susceptible to speed rushers and deft technicians with good moves. Was beaten a few times vs. the Sooners.

Taylor Lewan: like myself, he's not a big fan of Lewan.

They could do worse at #20. Should be more dominant than he is I think.

He absolutely loves Sammie Watkins, and the other Clemson WR for that matter. The way his face was lighting up about Watkins made me think, if he enters the draft, it wouldn't surprise me if they somehow drafted him.

Watkins is top 10 right now. 1st WR off the board.

I can't believe I forgot to ask about Mettenberger.

Or Aaron Murray.

He really like the Cards team and thinks they are going to be good for awhile. Big Dansby fan, Dwash...not so much(not based on on-field play).
That whole D really complimented each other. The reason some didn't notice DWash as much is because of Dansby's play, which was obviously outstanding. That's a good thing, DWash was still a force as well. Everyone's allowed a mistake or two. How you come back is the factor. He seems to be adjusting well and to me was and is still a difference maker.

Tajh Boyd: called him the mayor. Boyd thinks you're lucky if you get to spend time with him. Didn't get the impression he's a fan of Tajh.
Beating Ohio St. won't help matters. He'd be tough to deal with not starting. Not sure he should be. Not as good a passer as Wilson coming out, imho. OK though.

Bortles: he didn't really say much because he doesn't know if he'll declare(thinks he will). I think he's a fan though.
I could see Jaxsonville, all over him. Maybe he'll stay in then, and wind up with them anyway next year. :p

Braxton Miller: should go back to OSU for another year.
Agree. Needs to run LESS.
There's one player, who may get drafted relatively high, where he just flat out called him an addict.

Clemson?

Without a doubt, projecting college QB's to the NFL is the hardest position. I used Brett Hundley as an example and asked how a guy can look so good and so bad in the same game. He said the college spread offense makes it even harder to project. Like many of us thought, alot of it just comes down to mental makeup, of course you still have to have talent too.
Like you said, too up and down.

I told him he needs to hire me one of these days :).
Right! :rockon:

[/QUOTE]

OP
OP
Cbus cardsfan

Cbus cardsfan

Reaction score
Thanks for this

One thing this reinforces for me: The backstory on players matters. Stuff we fans rarely hear in detail.

A few years ago I played in a charity golf tourney that had a long time NFL assistant coach (not a Cards coach) His opinion was that nearly every NFL player drafted in the first four rounds has the physical skill to "make it" in the NFL, but less than half really do. The reason for that is some can't handle the mental aspect of the pro game, which he said was like 10x vs college systems in some cases. Others can't handle the free time/money combination. Others simply aren't comfortable with the jump in size/speed in the NFL.
That's something we talked about with Hyde because I mentioned how on TV and in the press, they always seem to portray everyone as a good guy and we know that can't always be the case.

I remember last year him telling about the whacko DE from LSU that I wanted the Cards to draft, even in round 1 :sad:. I can't remember his name right now but the guy either has been released or got in some kind of trouble.

Sam Montgomery. He said it was the most bizzare combine interview he ever had.

OP
OP
Cbus cardsfan

Cbus cardsfan

Reaction score
On another note, Jax is coaching the South team in the Senior Bowl this year. So, hopefully I can get some good info from him.

He seemed to be more worried about picking his nose, or something else, and being on camera :).

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Regarding Clemson: I am curious if the Swinney regime will change the perception.

CJ Spiller has been a bit up and down, but still a pretty good player.

Ellington, Hopkins and even udfa Jaron Brown all looked pretty good this year

Watkins looks like at worst a very solid NFL wideout.

OP
OP
Cbus cardsfan

Cbus cardsfan

Reaction score
Regarding Clemson: I am curious if the Swinney regime will change the perception.

CJ Spiller has been a bit up and down, but still a pretty good player.

Ellington, Hopkins and even udfa Jaron Brown all looked pretty good this year

Watkins looks like at worst a very solid NFL wideout.
Their LB, #33, was a monster. That guy was a hitting machine and all over the place.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
Good stuff CBUS!

I'm actually excited about what the Cardinals will do in the draft. I mean Keim had 3100 draft reports last year. That is a lot of information to digest. The Cardinals are doing their due diligence now, although to be fair, they seem have missed the boat on the sixth round WR.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson