Arizona @ USC 10/10/2013

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
See if we can get another W.. Who is the interm coach for USC anyways?

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Remember the game after we fired Stoops against UCLA? I expect a similar scenario happening with Kiffin's departure from USC. That along with Denker still behind center spell disaster.

Mrh182

Jai Guru Deva OM
Reaction score
At least they got it within 7 in that loss... All I could think about during most of the game was how bad we looked and what could happen vs asu

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That sucked. Carey went off, though. Good fight, Cats.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Nice to see them fight back, but Denker putting up stats against some soft late coverages will probably grant him far more job security than he deserves.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Moral Victory...

For a down year for USC, they blew you out in the first half? That is a lame moral victory.

I guess it's really cute your team tried so hard. But that was embarrassing for our entire state.

Oh, and Denker is horrific. He's not an above average runner, and he is a below average passer. I know RRod wants to find that dual threat QB, but, Lord, Denker ain't it!

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
For a down year for USC, they blew you out in the first half? That is a lame moral victory.

I guess it's really cute your team tried so hard. But that was embarrassing for our entire state.

Oh, and Denker is horrific. He's not an above average runner, and he is a below average passer. I know RRod wants to find that dual threat QB, but, Lord, Denker ain't it!

For reasons I stated above, USC would've beaten any team in the conference not named Oregon or Stanford last night. Coach O is the anti-Kiffin, and the team responded to the positive energy. I don't think the momentum will continue throughout the season as Coach O isn't a great coach. UA just happened to be at the wrong place at the wrong time. Had Kiffin still been on the sidelines, we would've won (thanks a lot, ASU).

"Embarrassing for the state" is a hell of an overstatement. By that logic, ASU's play against Stanford should also be considered an embarrassing for the state considering how both games ended. We ought to all be ashamed of ourselves and hope NAU doesn't crap the bed in order to save face for Arizona.

None of us have endorsed Denker as a competent QB. He has the worst fundamentals I've ever seen in a QB. He can't execute the ZRO offense. He consistently makes the wrong reads, calls his own number far too often, which takes carries away from KDC, and doesn't have an arm that DCs are afraid of. I'll say this: I appreciated Denker's mental toughness at the end. While I don't support him as the savior, it was nice to see him make some throws that big boy QBs make.

The only reason he's starting is that all of his potential replacements weren't at spring camp or were injured. Next year's crop of QBs, along with potential WR starters, shows that there's help on the way for the passing game.

Last edited:

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score

Beaver's an ASU fan.

And your football team has been on the receiving end on just as many of those by USC and others over the years if not more. It's called mediocrity and your Devils are right there with us despite everyone in Tempe's delusions of grandeur.

Last edited:

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Beaver's an ASU fan.

And your football team has been on the receiving end on just as many of those by USC and others over the years if not more. It's called mediocrity and your Devils are right there with us despite everyone in Tempe's delusions of grandeur.

ASU actually beat USC this year putting up over 60 points on them. So this isn't a good year to say ASU is right there with U of A. U of A is on the upswing overall and showed something in the 2nd half against USC, but this isn't looking to be one of their better years.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
ASU actually beat USC this year putting up over 60 points on them. So this isn't a good year to say ASU is right there with U of A. U of A is on the upswing overall and showed something in the 2nd half against USC, but this isn't looking to be one of their better years.

What's your point? A year ago UA beat USC while ASU was blown out by the Trojans, basically the opposite of this season outcomes of this season. That didn't stop you from beating us and finishing the season with the same record. Or in 2011 where you blew out USC while we lost and your 6-6 season ended with a loss to us.

I know it suits your narrative to look at the small sample size of the last 20 days but in reality as a whole you are pretty much where we are as a program.

Last edited:

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What's your point? A year ago UA beat USC while ASU was blown out by the Trojans, basically the opposite of this season outcomes of this season. That didn't stop you from beating us and finishing the season with the same record. Or in 2011 where you blew out USC while we lost and your 6-6 season ended with a loss to us.

I know it suits your narrative to look at the small sample size of the last 20 days but in reality as a whole you are pretty much where we are as a program.

My point, which I was probably trying to make a bit too diplomatically, is that ASU is not in the same boat of mediocrity that U of A is this year contrary to your assertion (" It's called mediocrity and your Devils are right there with us..."). I think we will see this play out over the rest of the year. But you are right in that it will be better to assess this at the end of the season.

However, what we have seen so far indicates that ASU will end the season in a stronger position. ASU has played the 7th most difficult schedule in the nation and has shown more promise for this particular season than U of A. For example, the QB position for U of A continues to be a real concern whereas for ASU it is a position of strength. Denker has passed for 800 yards on the year whereas Kelly has passed for 1700 against much tougher competition. That's huge.

Last edited:

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Beaver's an ASU fan.

It seems, to me, that UofA fans get more delusional about their football team than ASU fans do about theirs. I know we aren't much more than average, but guys from your board are always talking crap about recruiting that is never backed up with wins on the field.

NEITHER program is going to go much of anywhere with these two coaches.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The only game we can really talk crap to each other about is the Territorial Turd Bowl. We won the last one.... you can pin your hopes on the game this year or basketball season. Because your football team ain't doing crap.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"Embarrassing for the state" is a hell of an overstatement. By that logic, ASU's play against Stanford should also be considered an embarrassing for the state considering how both games ended. We ought to all be ashamed of ourselves and hope NAU doesn't crap the bed in order to save face for Arizona.

I personally was embarrassed by ASU's pathetic effort against Stanford. It was unacceptable. This is an embarrassing state to root for in college football, unless you think "moral victories" are cool. Which I don't. We've seen a lot of bad football from ASU, and even more bad football from UofA. Bear down on that.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Denker is awful, one of the worst QBs to roll through Tucson, he is like a mobile version of Danny Sullivan.

But ASU fans can hop off their high horse, they're a correctly ran clock from being 3-3 right now with their marquee win coming against a team who actively quit on their coach.

I have little doubt the territorial cup will once again be a battle for who gets to play in some horrible unwatched bowl game.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
It seems, to me, that UofA fans get more delusional about their football team than ASU fans do about theirs. I know we aren't much more than average, but guys from your board are always talking crap about recruiting that is never backed up with wins on the field.

NEITHER program is going to go much of anywhere with these two coaches.
I never understood that, basketball is one thing as Sean Miller routinely has put together top 10 classes. But Rich Rod and Graham despite as of right now probably having more to sell than they will ever have still can't lock down local talent or get classes that re better than the 30's overall. That's not a recipe for getting over the hump.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I never understood that, basketball is one thing as Sean Miller routinely has put together top 10 classes. But Rich Rod and Graham despite as of right now probably having more to sell than they will ever have still can't lock down local talent or get classes that re better than the 30's overall. That's not a recipe for getting over the hump.

I've been here since 1977 and have always heard from "experts" that the Arizona schools should be powerhouses in recruiting, the weather, blah, blah blah. Which, ever since the Oregon schools turned it around and have routinely beat both Arizona schools on the field and in recruiting, is obviously not true.

I'm not sure how the Oregon schools went from being so miserable for so long, while our schools had their moments, to being much more consistent in football. And, Oregon is undeniably a nationally elite program with no signs of slipping soon.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
I've been here since 1977 and have always heard from "experts" that the Arizona schools should be powerhouses in recruiting, the weather, blah, blah blah. Which, ever since the Oregon schools turned it around and have routinely beat both Arizona schools on the field and in recruiting, is obviously not true.
For most of the last 30 years then I would agree with you that the perception of both schools exceeded the reality when it came to football prosperity. There just weren't that many great players to choose from that could elevate a program into that next level. That is becoming less and less the case with population growth in Arizona and players still aren't staying here. As an example if Brett Hundley stayed in-state whoever he was playing for right now would be top 15 in the country. He didn't consider either school and while some may argue that was under the former regimes the status quo has continued under Graham and RichRod.

I'm not sure how the Oregon schools went from being so miserable for so long, while our schools had their moments, to being much more consistent in football. And, Oregon is undeniably a nationally elite program with no signs of slipping soon.
They've hired superior coaches. Mike Riley was good enough to get hired to be an NFL coach out of Oregon State. So too were Rich Brooks and Chip Kelly and my guess is Bellotti may have gotten an NFL gig had he wanted as well. Sure Phil Knight's money has helped the cause but there's dozens of programs with just as deep of pockets as UO with half the success over the last couple decades. On that same somewhat topic whatever USC decides to do will determine our programs respective fates just as much as what we do internally. If they hit a home run with their coaching search there's not going to be much either of us can do to get over the hump. There just won't be enough room.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose