Monday's Ten Thoughts Week 2

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
1. "Everybody is accepting a role and who knows, for some of your roles might just about to get bigger." Bruce Arians to the team---before awarding the game ball to WR Kerry Taylor. This is added proof that BA understands and lives by his own mantra: "Team is what it takes." The symbolism of BA's gesture to award the game ball to the unsung Taylor in this BA's first win as Cardinals' HC is striking. And then to watch Kerry Taylor bring the team in and state "we have something very special going on here...let's go Cardinals on three" was a real treat and instant cause for goosebumps. Check it out if you haven't seen it!

http://blog.azcardinals.com/2013/09/16/quick-hits-after-arians/

2. The Play of the Game---where many were crucial to securing the win---has to be, imho, the PI call in the end zone on Andre Roberts when the Cardinals were facing third and long, but in field goal position to take the lead. Carson Palmer was gushing after the game that BA had been waiting for that matchup and how great it was for BA to have guts to dial up that play. That, my friends, is going for the win---and a far cry from the ultra-conservative calls we have seen in recent years.

3. I thought it might take a few games for BA to get his first win because he and his staff basically has to re-teach this team how to win...starting with Carson Palmer who hasn't been winning many games in recent years. For Palmer and the team to rebound the way they did following his egregious blunder, just shows how well coached this team is. BA did not panic, and neither did Palmer, or the rest of the team. Simply put, everyone methodically did his job and stuck to the plan.

4. To hear Darnell Dockett state so emphatically after the game how well prepared they were for the two minute drill---was striking as well. "We had done the two minute drill so many times in practice, we KNEW we were going to win." But---it's also HOW they won, by not being conservative or letting the pedal off the metal---they came after Stafford like crazy. Again---so many times the last few years you heard me lament the team's lack of preparation, especially during the last two minutes of each half. You could tell...those key situations had not been well-rehearsed. Now---it's the total opposite, and this team knows how well it is being coached. It is very refreshing to see how much they appreciate BA and the staff. Did you hear the cheers Steve Keim got from the team as well? Think we ever heard cheers like that before for a Cardinals' GM?

5. NBA---NFL. Man, passing games today are coming down to the old pick and roll, aren't they? How about the TD rub play the Lions ran to CJ?---it is practically impossible to defend. With CJ in the slot you can't press him---and with Tyrann Mathieu covering Nate Burleson wide, if Badger switches on CJ the size mismatch is glaring....although Mathieu is so pesky I wonder if he could find a way to Badger that pass anyway. Switching is the only way---other than zoning it---but again of Mathieu is wide he would have to defend the corner fade, which at his size doesn't give the team the beat chance. If you zone Peterson wide, now you have TM over CJ in the slot...where again CJ can use his body as a shield. How about the stack pick pass to Burleson?---again---so tough to defend. Notice that on a key third and long in the red zone the Cardinals tried it with Michael Floyd, only the stack wasn't as tight and Fitz wasn't able to block his man. The Lions defended it about as well as a team can, save batting down those quick passes (which the Cardinals need to get much better at).

6. Carson Palmer looked more skittish to me in this game---and he is developing some bad habits, like leaking backwards from the pocket. Now in this game the threat of the middle rush from N-Suh was imminent, but actually the Cardinals' o-line did a tremendous job of maintaining the inside pocket. This might have been Lyle Sendlein's best game as a Cardinal---not only in pass pro but on his pulls in the running game. But---back to Palmer he really needs to step up and set his feet. The other bad habit is how often he threw off-balance (some were unavoidable---and some were brilliant like the deep corner pass he threw to Fitz in the 3rd quarter, which palmer floated to a spot perfectly). But, to be fair to Levi Brown, he was doing a very good job on Izzy Ansah, but Palmer wasn't stepping inside Ansahs' wide rush. That's on Palmer, not on Levi. And this Paul Fanaika---he's a battler and he didn't back down one bit from N-Suh. We've got as player at RG folks. Winston is playing very well---and Daryn Colledge has done a makeover with his feet---did you see him chugging those feet and getting his hand punch in on time in pass pro?

7. Getting things right. This is another thing to love about BA. In Game 1, after missing a TD fade to LF on first down, BA calls the same play and Palmer connects. Yesterday, we see the same wheel route to Ellington and this time it is run to perfection...I mean perfection. Did you see Palmer's shoulder turn on that throw? Textbook. Obviously, the coaches worked with him quite a bit on that play. Ellington was huge in this game---and he adds a quickness and speed dimension the team needs. Great challenge by BA on the called fumble too. Thank goodness.

8. I was surprised that early in the game BA punted the ball on 4th and 1 just inside Lions' territory---you just know he wanted to go for it. But, this shows some real prudence and restraint on BA's part as a head coach and one who has been preaching field position, which BA & company commanded virtually the entire game thanks to Feely, Zastudil and Bethel (all of whom received game balls). This Justin Bethel---we may lament losing a 3rd round pick in Fleming, but Bethel, imo, was an out-and-out steal in the 6th round---and then you add the way Tony Jefferson played yesterday and it looks like we got third round talents in Bethel and Jefferson.

9. What did you think of seeing Calvin Johnson merely jogging through several of his routes? Especially the one on the last drive with the game on the line? I could see that he was trying to lull Patrick Peterson to sleep earlier in the game---and it sure worked on the monster slant play. Peterson should know better next time. But for CJ to be jogging his route late in that game is very troubling if you are a Lions' fan. Basically, the Lions were all dink and dunk in this game. The Cardinals---not as much---as they took their shots down the field---especially when the game was on the line. Big difference, imo. It allowed Todd Bowles to trim up the game plan---which was far clearer and better organized and executed this week. Bowles had the right matchups---save the one time he had Yeremiah Bell on Reggie Bush in the slot. There are only a few DBs in the NFL who can match up with Bush. What i like about Bell is he's a good step up and hit you tackler---and maybe you noticed but they used him some at LB yesterday, and Bell responded well in that role.

10. Karlos Dansby---as the game has evolved and offenses have become more diverse, this guy has become an even greater asset. For him he was a step late in the first half---but right on the spot in the second half. I think BA&SK will get him re-signed, my friends. Classic matchup LB in a league where matchups have become the key difference makers. Imagine when D-Wash returns the defensive playmakers with Dansby, Washington, Peterson and Mathieu---if our pass rush emerges (and it showed a pulse this week) this defense is going to be high-flying in ways we have never seen before. BA keeps telling the players that they don't know how good they are---and now BA has the team training with Navy seals to ward off fatigue---well, this already is paying dividends as the Cardinals had all the energy on their side in the 4th quarter...led on the defensive side of the ball by Dansby, Peterson and Mathieu...and in an unsung way, Tony Jefferson. As BA said---"get ready because some of your roles could get bigger." It looks like for some they already have!

Last edited:

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All excellent points Mitch.

BA promised us he would use all his bullets and he has kept his word. We have had more passing attempts downfield in these first two games than we did in 10 games last year.

I love the play calling...which there ain't one of us that hasn't said, " I didn't like that call" sometime during the game. But even the few times I didn't agree I understood or at least felt it was setting something up or at the very least keeping the defense honest.

And how refreshing is it to have a competent ground game? We actually gain yards just about everytime we try to run.

I had hoped we could be 3-3 after six games and go from there. Winning that opener would have been nice to enable us to reach that goal.

It sur is refreshing to see a professional offense and I think the best is yet to come.

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
Really nice job Mitch-----I also love how Arians is constantly looking to build confidence in his roster players. I am aware that Indy has become an average team since their coach's return, while they were 9 and 1 under BA. As you have said many times during the off season, BA is a master at propping up the somewhat fractured psyches of players from poor or losing programs. He positively knows how important it is to have your head in the right place in order to perform at this level.

I also note that Bowles made some nice adjustments at half time this week which helped to stifle the Lions' attack as the game progressed.

The situational awareness is huge-----Mathieu knew that they would target him, (the rookie), on that final 4 down play, and he was ready for it, and confident he would make the play.

I am stoked that BA continues to deliver on his word. Last week he lamented Levi's poor play, but said he was sticking with him, and that there were technique fixes for several of his problems. He also praised the interior of the O'line last week, and they literally 'handled' a fierce interior defensive Detroit D'line this week.

I could actually sense the confidence as the game wore on against Detroit. There was no point where I felt that the Cards were in, (over their heads). This road trip is going to be fun to watch.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score

BA promised us he would use all his bullets and he has kept his word. We have had more passing attempts downfield in these first two games than we did in 10 games last year.

I love the play calling...which there ain't one of us that hasn't said, " I didn't like that call" sometime during the game. But even the few times I didn't agree I understood or at least felt it was setting something up or at the very least keeping the defense honest.

And how refreshing is it to have a competent ground game? We actually gain yards just about everytime we try to run.

I had hoped we could be 3-3 after six games and go from there. Winning that opener would have been nice to enable us to reach that goal.

It sur is refreshing to see a professional offense and I think the best is yet to come.

Good points, slan. Even THESMEL must be impressed with BA's commitment to the running game. Mendenhall is a slasher and the others compliment him.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Really nice job Mitch-----I also love how Arians is constantly looking to build confidence in his roster players. I am aware that Indy has become an average team since their coach's return, while they were 9 and 1 under BA. As you have said many times during the off season, BA is a master at propping up the somewhat fractured psyches of players from poor or losing programs. He positively knows how important it is to have your head in the right place in order to perform at this level.

I also note that Bowles made some nice adjustments at half time this week which helped to stifle the Lions' attack as the game progressed.

The situational awareness is huge-----Mathieu knew that they would target him, (the rookie), on that final 4 down play, and he was ready for it, and confident he would make the play.

I am stoked that BA continues to deliver on his word. Last week he lamented Levi's poor play, but said he was sticking with him, and that there were technique fixes for several of his problems. He also praised the interior of the O'line last week, and they literally 'handled' a fierce interior defensive Detroit D'line this week.

I could actually sense the confidence as the game wore on against Detroit. There was no point where I felt that the Cards were in, (over their heads). This road trip is going to be fun to watch.

Hey Catfish---one gets the sense that BA and his coaching staff consider how to make improvements from all angles. Did you ever see a Cardinals' HC so prepared for Monday pressers? I mean---the man has notes in front of him, and he slings it all right from the hip.

For the record, BA was 9-3 as interim HC.

But what we are seeing is real effort put into the team's preparation and game planning---which, imo, gives us a chance in any game. This week seems tough at New Orleans, but the homecoming for Peterson, Mathieu and Minter might actually give an emotional edge to the Cardinals in a curious way.

Funny thing about sports---let me ask you Catfish and everyone else this question: were you rooting for the Saints to win versus the Bucs, or were you hoping they would lose?

I see both sides---but I actually was rooting for them to win because maybe they would get a little complacent at 2-0, rather than being extra determined to bounce back after a loss. Not sure this is the way to think---but it's a tough choice isn't it?

Reaction score

It sure is refreshing to see a professional offense and I think the best is yet to come.

:thumbup:

Reaction score
Mitch. awesome thoughts on yesterdays game. I have a question for you. Last year defensive secondary's would creep up and not respect our ability to go over the top. Has that changed this year? I live here in southern California and only get the raiders and don't have Sunday ticket. I used to live in mesa and had season tickets for the Cardinals when they first came to Arizona.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Mitch. awesome thoughts on yesterdays game. I have a question for you. Last year defensive secondary's would creep up and not respect our ability to go over the top. Has that changed this year? I live here in southern California and only get the raiders and don't have Sunday ticket. I used to live in mesa and had season tickets for the Cardinals when they first came to Arizona.

That absolutely has changed, Bob. When you play a Bruce Arians offense, you know he's going to attack you deep---you just don't know when. Yesterday, he saved one of his deep shots for the last drive on third and long, and it resulted in a key PI call that put the ball on the Lions' 1 yard line. Most teams, for simply the fear of getting sacked and taken out of field goal range (only down 2 points) would not have taken that gamble. BA plays to win. Some games we might regret a different result, but what we can't regret, imo, is his pedal to the metal approach. It's very reminiscent of (whom I consider) the best Cardinals' HC in my lifetime: Don Coryell.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Mitch - additional thoughts.

1. A lot of good (& bad) things we saw in camp/preseason repeat themselves in regular season.

2. Palmer was becoming so adept at throwing touch passes from off his back foot that he seems to have fallen in love with the practice (because it's pretty and it works). The problem with it is that, when he does it, the ball floats out there like a balloon and defenders will "sit on it" the way a batter sits on a particular pitch.

3. A bunch of our younger players were given a chance and played like veterans.

4. I'm guessing BA will continue to put the 11 guys on the field who best give the next play the best chance of succeeding. If that means more play time for the rooks or for the guy(s) with the hot hand, he'll do it.

5. Collectively what you hope is that, each time we make a big play (whether it be a tipped pass, blocked punt or tackle in the backfield), every player who comes out onto the field will think to himself: "I can do that!"

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Mitch - additional thoughts.

1. A lot of good (& bad) things we saw in camp/preseason repeat themselves in regular season.

2. Palmer was becoming so adept at throwing touch passes from off his back foot that he seems to have fallen in love with the practice (because it's pretty and it works). The problem with it is that, when he does it, the ball floats out there like a balloon and defenders will "sit on it" the way a batter sits on a particular pitch.

3. A bunch of our younger players were given a chance and played like veterans.

4. I'm guessing BA will continue to put the 11 guys on the field who best give the next play the best chance of succeeding. If that means more play time for the rooks or for the guy(s) with the hot hand, he'll do it.

5. Collectively what you hope is that, each time we make a big play (whether it be a tipped pass, blocked punt or tackle in the backfield), every player who comes out onto the field will think to himself: "I can do that!"

Yes, Jeff...and we might see more of what we still need to work on each week. But---there were marked improvements made from Week 1 to Week 2 in all three phases of the game (the o-line, the d-line, the kicking game). That in itself can allow us as fans the comfort of knowing the coaches know what the issues are and they are working diligently to improve them. To me that's about the best we can ask for, especially for a team that needs to re-learn how to win and what it takes to win games.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
1. "Everybody is accepting a role and who knows, for some of your roles might just about to get bigger." Bruce Arians to the team---before awarding the game ball to WR Kerry Taylor. This is added proof that BA understands and lives by his own mantra: "Team is what it takes." The symbolism of BA's gesture to award the game ball to the unsung Taylor in this BA's first win as Cardinals' HC is striking. And then to watch Kerry Taylor bring the team in and state "we have something very special going on here...let's go Cardinals on three" was a real treat and instant cause for goosebumps. Check it out if you haven't seen it!

http://blog.azcardinals.com/2013/09/16/quick-hits-after-arians/

Maybe I'm just a doofus but I couldn't find the link to the video.

2. The Play of the Game---where many were crucial to securing the win---has to be, imho, the PI call in the end zone on Andre Roberts when the Cardinals were facing third and long, but in field goal position to take the lead. Carson Palmer was gushing after the game that BA had been waiting for that matchup and how great it was for BA to have guts to dial up that play. That, my friends, is going for the win---and a far cry from the ultra-conservative calls we have seen in recent years.

I read this as well and it is very encouraging.

3. I thought it might take a few games for BA to get his first win because he and his staff basically has to re-teach this team how to win...starting with Carson Palmer who hasn't been winning many games in recent years. For Palmer and the team to rebound the way they did following his egregious blunder, just shows how well coached this team is. BA did not panic, and neither did Palmer, or the rest of the team. Simply put, everyone methodically did his job and stuck to the plan.

There is a sense of calmness that we haven't seen since Warner was our QB. Never forget the TD drive in the NFC championship game and I got the same sense during this game.

4. To hear Darnell Dockett state so emphatically after the game how well prepared they were for the two minute drill---was striking as well. "We had done the two minute drill so many times in practice, we KNEW we were going to win." But---it's also HOW they won, by not being conservative or letting the pedal off the metal---they came after Stafford like crazy. Again---so many times the last few years you heard me lament the team's lack of preparation, especially during the last two minutes of each half. You could tell...those key situations had not been well-rehearsed. Now---it's the total opposite, and this team knows how well it is being coached. It is very refreshing to see how much they appreciate BA and the staff. Did you hear the cheers Steve Keim got from the team as well? Think we ever heard cheers like that before for a Cardinals' GM?

The first several plays on the Lions final drive we only rushed 4 but the effort was at a higher degree. I think it was because it was obvious the Lions had to pass so time to pin your ears back boys. Bowles did send 6 on a couple plays later in that drive. I'm still very concerned with our Pass Rush.

I do love BA's focus to detail and how he has identified that 2 minute drills and red zone as huge factors to winning games.

5. NBA---NFL. Man, passing games today are coming down to the old pick and roll, aren't they? How about the TD rub play the Lions ran to CJ?---it is practically impossible to defend. With CJ in the slot you can't press him---and with Tyrann Mathieu covering Nate Burleson wide, if Badger switches on CJ the size mismatch is glaring....although Mathieu is so pesky I wonder if he could find a way to Badger that pass anyway. Switching is the only way---other than zoning it---but again of Mathieu is wide he would have to defend the corner fade, which at his size doesn't give the team the beat chance. If you zone Peterson wide, now you have TM over CJ in the slot...where again CJ can use his body as a shield. How about the stack pick pass to Burleson?---again---so tough to defend. Notice that on a key third and long in the red zone the Cardinals tried it with Michael Floyd, only the stack wasn't as tight and Fitz wasn't able to block his man. The Lions defended it about as well as a team can, save batting down those quick passes (which the Cardinals need to get much better at).

I guess this was my concern, the Lions defended it effortlessly and we couldn't.

6. Carson Palmer looked more skittish to me in this game---and he is developing some bad habits, like leaking backwards from the pocket. Now in this game the threat of the middle rush from N-Suh was imminent, but actually the Cardinals' o-line did a tremendous job of maintaining the inside pocket. This might have been Lyle Sendlein's best game as a Cardinal---not only in pass pro but on his pulls in the running game. But---back to Palmer he really needs to step up and set his feet. The other bad habit is how often he threw off-balance (some were unavoidable---and some were brilliant like the deep corner pass he threw to Fitz in the 3rd quarter, which palmer floated to a spot perfectly). But, to be fair to Levi Brown, he was doing a very good job on Izzy Ansah, but Palmer wasn't stepping inside Ansahs' wide rush. That's on Palmer, not on Levi. And this Paul Fanaika---he's a battler and he didn't back down one bit from N-Suh. We've got as player at RG folks. Winston is playing very well---and Daryn Colledge has done a makeover with his feet---did you see him chugging those feet and getting his hand punch in on time in pass pro?

I agree about Palmer, he did look skittish at times. I'm also concerned that he is still not synched up timing wise with Fitz and Roberts on some plays. Still light years ahead of anyone we have had at QB since Warner retired.

I agree that Levi did a very good job this game. I rewatched the game and went slomo on just about every snap and focused on the Oline. My first impression when watching the game was Levi was getting a ton of help, that was actually not the case. I would say about 8 plays he had help in pass pro. The pressure he allowed typically was as you stated CP not stepping up. In a couple of cases it was because Winston was getting beat and CP moved in a way that was not helpful to Levi.

Our interior line did battle and did a decent job. At least 2 of the plays where Suh had tackles for loss were on BA and not the Oline. Asking Colledge to pull from the left to pick up Suh on a run up the middle is simply stupid. Maybe Cooper would have been able to get it done but I highly doubt it. Sendlein battled hard but he did get beat by Suh as well, again having your OC try to take Suh on without any help simply isn't smart.

My impression on Fanaika was that he is far better than Snyder but I expect Watford to beat him out at some point this year.

7. Getting things right. This is another thing to love about BA. In Game 1, after missing a TD fade to LF on first down, BA calls the same play and Palmer connects. Yesterday, we see the same wheel route to Ellington and this time it is run to perfection...I mean perfection. Did you see Palmer's shoulder turn on that throw? Textbook. Obviously, the coaches worked with him quite a bit on that play. Ellington was huge in this game---and he adds a quickness and speed dimension the team needs. Great challenge by BA on the called fumble too. Thank goodness.

Love this about BA, great observations Mitch. Based on what BA has delivered on so far I can't wait to see Housler when his ankle is healed. BA has a quite confidence in Housler and he has delivered on so many other things I think Housler will have a major impact.

8. I was surprised that early in the game BA punted the ball on 4th and 1 just inside Lions' territory---you just know he wanted to go for it. But, this shows some real prudence and restraint on BA's part as a head coach and one who has been preaching field position, which BA & company commanded virtually the entire game thanks to Feely, Zastudil and Bethel (all of whom received game balls). This Justin Bethel---we may lament losing a 3rd round pick in Fleming, but Bethel, imo, was an out-and-out steal in the 6th round---and then you add the way Tony Jefferson played yesterday and it looks like we got third round talents in Bethel and Jefferson.

I was too because I think Whiz would have gone for it. I actually like that BA didn't because once again he is showing long term thinking for the game and knows that winning the field position game would pay off for us. No need to act desperate and go for it on 4th down, plenty of time in the game and we don't need to gamble because the game plan will prove out by the end of the game.

9. What did you think of seeing Calvin Johnson merely jogging through several of his routes? Especially the one on the last drive with the game on the line? I could see that he was trying to lull Patrick Peterson to sleep earlier in the game---and it sure worked on the monster slant play. Peterson should know better next time. But for CJ to be jogging his route late in that game is very troubling if you are a Lions' fan. Basically, the Lions were all dink and dunk in this game. The Cardinals---not as much---as they took their shots down the field---especially when the game was on the line. Big difference, imo. It allowed Todd Bowles to trim up the game plan---which was far clearer and better organized and executed this week. Bowles had the right matchups---save the one time he had Yeremiah Bell on Reggie Bush in the slot. There are only a few DBs in the NFL who can match up with Bush. What i like about Bell is he's a good step up and hit you tackler---and maybe you noticed but they used him some at LB yesterday, and Bell responded well in that role.

Yeremiah isn't the best coverage DB in the NFL and so yes he shouldn't be one on one with Bush. I think it was 2 plays where Bell had Bush one on one and both were ugly for us. Bell is one strong dude and fills the hole and takes on Olineman without giving an inch. Very impressed with his run blitzing and ability to stack things up.

10. Karlos Dansby---as the game has evolved and offenses have become more diverse, this guy has become an even greater asset. For him he was a step late in the first half---but right on the spot in the second half. I think BA&SK will get him re-signed, my friends. Classic matchup LB in a league where matchups have become the key difference makers. Imagine when D-Wash returns the defensive playmakers with Dansby, Washington, Peterson and Mathieu---if our pass rush emerges (and it showed a pulse this week) this defense is going to be high-flying in ways we have never seen before. BA keeps telling the players that they don't know how good they are---and now BA has the team training with Navy seals to ward off fatigue---well, this already is paying dividends as the Cardinals had all the energy on their side in the 4th quarter...led on the defensive side of the ball by Dansby, Peterson and Mathieu...and in an unsung way, Tony Jefferson. As BA said---"get ready because some of your roles could get bigger." It looks like for some they already have!

Fully agree about LOS. He was a half step short on a couple of plays, some of that is because he is in year 10 but more of it is because of Staffords cannon for an arm.

Didn't see the Navy Seals thing, very cool and forward thinking on BA's part.

I also want to give Props to Fitz. Tried to tough it out but when he knew he was more of a liability he took himself out of the game. He also through some fantastic blocks in the running game.

Bethel has become one of my favorite Cards at this point.

Powers appeared to have a very good game.

Shaughnessy had a big part in the Bush fumble as he beat the first blocker quickly and then took on the 2nd and pushed him back which caused Bush to focus on him instead of cleanly tucking the ball away on the handoff.

DoTheDew

Registered
Reaction score
I'd like to add another:

Levi Brown. He played a nearly flawless game. No stupid penalties, and kept Palmer protected. It sure helps not going up against a top tier pass rusher, but still, I think our resident whooping boy deserves some praise for his performance.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Fully agree about LOS. He was a half step short on a couple of plays, some of that is because he is in year 10 but more of it is because of Staffords cannon for an arm.

Didn't see the Navy Seals thing, very cool and forward thinking on BA's part.

I also want to give Props to Fitz. Tried to tough it out but when he knew he was more of a liability he took himself out of the game. He also through some fantastic blocks in the running game.

Bethel has become one of my favorite Cards at this point.

Powers appeared to have a very good game.

Shaughnessy had a big part in the Bush fumble as he beat the first blocker quickly and then took on the 2nd and pushed him back which caused Bush to focus on him instead of cleanly tucking the ball away on the handoff.
Another thing I would point out about not going for that 4th and 1 is that he likely realized that we have a very good punter who would likely pin them well within the 10 yard line and thus the decision was already basically made for him. If he doesn't have confidence in Zastudil to pin them deep than he might make a different decision there.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
Loved watching the locker room video and especially seeing Kerry Taylor getting the game ball. It just shows that hard work pays off. Kerry worked and studied very hard in training camp and during his week on the practice squad and when he got his chance to produce he did.

Hopefully Larry is back close to full speed Sunday for the Saints. But at least the Cardinals have some competent receivers in Taylor and Brown to come off the bench.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Another thing I would point out about not going for that 4th and 1 is that he likely realized that we have a very good punter who would likely pin them well within the 10 yard line and thus the decision was already basically made for him. If he doesn't have confidence in Zastudil to pin them deep than he might make a different decision there.

Good point.

Too expand on my point. I like when a HC shows confidence in his O and D by taking chances because if the O fails he feels the D will get the stop. BA's decision this last game was the right call because it was early in the game and it ensured the Cards would keep winning the field position battle which is huge.

Whiz made some gutsy calls that I applauded but after Warner left and gamble felt more like an act of desperation because he knew he needed to roll the dice to have any chance to win the game.

BA has a game plan and has a ton of confidence in his team so he doesn't feel the need to gamble to have a chance to win. He'll take his shots and chances but they are already built into the game plan and well calculated.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe I'm confusing other games I saw bits of Sunday but I thought the announcer said the Cards actually told Palmer to be careful about stepping up because they were so concerned with blocking Suh, and batted passes? I am probably confusing games but I thought that's what they said, it sounded odd to me since everyone teaches the QB to step up in the pocket if it's there.

What I am still concerned with about Palmer is ball security. Another glaringly bad pick, another 2 that could have easily been picked, and he continues to struggle with ball security around pass rushers.

For everything we did right, we actually got a couple of breaks in the game 2, their TE Pettigrew had 2 huge drops, he semi made up for it with that one great catch over Dansby, but both drops helped kill drives. So used to never catching a break it was nice to see that happen.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
Maybe I'm confusing other games I saw bits of Sunday but I thought the announcer said the Cards actually told Palmer to be careful about stepping up because they were so concerned with blocking Suh, and batted passes? I am probably confusing games but I thought that's what they said, it sounded odd to me since everyone teaches the QB to step up in the pocket if it's there.

What I am still concerned with about Palmer is ball security. Another glaringly bad pick, another 2 that could have easily been picked, and he continues to struggle with ball security around pass rushers.

For everything we did right, we actually got a couple of breaks in the game 2, their TE Pettigrew had 2 huge drops, he semi made up for it with that one great catch over Dansby, but both drops helped kill drives. So used to never catching a break it was nice to see that happen.

And we also benefitted from the Lions undiscipline, penalty-prone ways. In addition to the PI on Andre in the end-zone, there was the 'hands to the face' penalty on the guy rushing Eric Winston when we were stopped on third down, and the Lions repeated penalties on special teams.

Yeah, the Cardinals played well at times, but the Lions definitely helped beat the Lions on Sunday IMO.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And we also benefitted from the Lions undiscipline, penalty-prone ways. In addition to the PI on Andre in the end-zone, there was the 'hands to the face' penalty on the guy rushing Eric Winston when we were stopped on third down, and the Lions repeated penalties on special teams.

Yeah, the Cardinals played well at times, but the Lions definitely helped beat the Lions on Sunday IMO.

I don't count the PI as luck though because if he doesn't do that, it's a TD, Andre nearly caught it anyways. as someone who has him on my fantasy team I was really hoping he did catch it.

But yeah the hands to the face was a big call too.

I think we're playing quite well I'm just very concerned with Palmer still being loose with the ball. that's the kind of thing you learn on a losing team, we're going to lose if I don't make plays so I am taking the risk here. Sometimes it's better to just throw the ball away, or even take a sack, than throw it off your backfoot in the direction of a TE in traffic like that. Even if Dray was supposed to keep running, and who knows, those type of risks are not something a veteran QB should do.

On the Raiders it's understandable, they were terrible if he didn't make plays nobody would, now he doesn't have to force those plays.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Good points, slan. Even THESMEL must be impressed with BA's commitment to the running game. Mendenhall is a slasher and the others compliment him.

You guys are drinking too much Kool Aid. The Cards ran the ball more in game two last year against the Patriots than they did Sunday vs the Lions. It's still 60-40 pass to run and THESMEL just isn't going to get on board with that.

But hey 21st in rush attempts is a lot better than 7 years of being 32nd. :koolaid:

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Now I'm going to put my Kool Aid glasses on. The last three seasons the Cards averaged 980 plays. This year they are on pace for 1088! That would be more plays than the Cardinals have had in a season since 1988. That's an additional drive per game. 6 more chances for Fitz or Mendenhall to score every game.

And we have more plays than our opponents! Last year after game 2 our opponents had run 26 more plays than we had.

:koolaid:

:stick:

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Now I'm going to put my Kool Aid glasses on. The last three seasons the Cards averaged 980 plays. This year they are on pace for 1088! That would be more plays than the Cardinals have had in a season since 1988. That's an additional drive per game. 6 more chances for Fitz or Mendenhall to score every game.

And we have more plays than our opponents! Last year after game 2 our opponents had run 26 more plays than we had.

:koolaid:

:stick:

Good research, that is a very promising stat. To piggy back on that the Cards are tied for 3rd in first downs per game at 24.5 per game. I would swear we need to add 2 or 3 games together from last year to reach 24 first downs.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
In general, you run because you're winning/you don't necessarily win because you're running.

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sometimes it's better to just throw the ball away, or even take a sack, than throw it off your backfoot in the direction of a TE in traffic like that. Even if Dray was supposed to keep running, and who knows, those type of risks are not something a veteran QB should do.

Agreed, it may have been an unnecessarily risky throw regardless... but one of the analysts on NFL Network's coverage of the game - same guy who had been in the booth for Fox during the game - said that Dray was supposed to keep running there, and Palmer had thrown it right to where he should've been. Not sure how he would know for sure what the proper read was, but at least it was good to know that it wasn't a COMPLETELY bone-headed INT.

The analyst also made note of the fact that Peterson stutter-stepped on the long catch by Johnson because he thought the ball had been picked by Dansby. Not sure whether that was said during the live broadcast (i watched at a bar so no sound) but most of the other game recaps i saw failed to make note of it.

...dave

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agreed, it may have been an unnecessarily risky throw regardless... but one of the analysts on NFL Network's coverage of the game - same guy who had been in the booth for Fox during the game - said that Dray was supposed to keep running there, and Palmer had thrown it right to where he should've been. Not sure how he would know for sure what the proper read was, but at least it was good to know that it wasn't a COMPLETELY bone-headed INT.

The analyst also made note of the fact that Peterson stutter-stepped on the long catch by Johnson because he thought the ball had been picked by Dansby. Not sure whether that was said during the live broadcast (i watched at a bar so no sound) but most of the other game recaps i saw failed to make note of it.

...dave

FOX said it was possible Dray was supposed to keep going instead of sit down in the zone but hard to know. General rule of thumb is sit down in zone, run through in man but we've heard Arians wants his guys to run through zone which would mean Dray was at fault.

They did say PP hesitated because he thought it was picked, hard to see on replay beyond he was clearly looking at it thinking it was going to be picked.

Lots of bad angles after that. That was one play where I think it was evident how slow Rashad Johnson and Jefferson are, they lost ground to him and jefferson took a bad angle. I was surprised PP didn't catch him, I think DRC would have.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought it was inventive by Bowles to have Y. Bell play LB so that Jefferson could get on the field at Safety. A special package developed just for the Lions.