I hope we can enjoy what we asked for

OP
OP
desertdawg

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Arians sat front row on the suck for Luck tour, this will be his Cardinal 2.0 version. Ive never been down with the tank but if there ever is a time...

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
It sounds like some of you aren't intending to watch much Cardinals football in 2013.

I would kind of like to, which is why I wish the Cards would make some effort to put a competitive product on the field this year.

It's stunning that the reports are that the Cards are holding on to Kevin Kolb in case Drew Stanton decides to play somewhere else (per Kent Somers). If you're holding on to an $11M quarterback to see if you can get a guy who'd like to get $2M, you're making some terrible decisions.

I understand hedging your bets, but it is kind of ridiculous to hold out hope for a Drew Stanton, Ryan Fitzpatrick or a Carson Palmer and holding onto a Kevin Kolb until you do so. It really speaks to the lack of confidence this organization has in it's ability to bring players in.

Doc Cardinal

Old Fart
Reaction score
It's ok guys, let it sink in a while. It's the only way to get back in contention. Whiners and chickens will own us this year. We might as well use that time doing something productive...like 3-13. :)

Crap...I'm hopin we lose them all.

Gotta have that 1st draft choice.....those are always the best choice and never fail.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
holy crap... is this really true? if so, y'all might have to wake me in 2023 when Keim is finally given his walking papers ala his boss/mentor Mr. Graves.

This really is true:

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/car...ardinals-drew-stanton-signing-kevin-kolb.html

The Cardinals are in interested in signing quarterback Drew Stanton, according to multiple reports. If they are successful, I think it will mark the end of Kevin Kolb’s tenure in Arizona, according to one person’s opinion: mine.

I don’t see Kolb being part of a quarterback depth chart that includes Hoyer and Stanton. If Stanton signs, then my guess is the Cardinals will go into the season with Hoyer, Stanton and a draft pick. John Skelton and Ryan Lindley could figure into the mix, based on what happens in the draft, and perhaps in off-season practices and training camp.

The only possible reason to hold on to Kolb and part with other assets that have more value is that the Cards believe that they need an $11M hedge against a $4M quarterback.

This franchise is clearly in the wrong hands.

OP
OP
desertdawg

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I could also make the argument that in the previous year(2011) the Cardinals were four Patrick Peterson punt returns away from being 4-12. Even more troubling is the average margin of victory for the Cardinals was the narrowest margin in something like 20 years.

It sucks to lose Toler and Wilson. I could care less about Gay. Yeah, this year is going to suck, but this team is/was very broken. It all needs to be taken apart to be fixed the right way.

I hope guys like PP, DWash, CC and Fitz can be patient because the benefits of this potential payoff could be great. With the parity of the NFL there is no reason not to believe the Cardinals can't be competitive by 2014, 2015 at worst if this is done right and all indications so far is that it is.

Hogwash. As Duckjake mentioned in a different thread, the foundation of a good team is in place: Fitz, Peterson, Rhodes, Dockett, Campbell, Washington. There are solid complementary pieces in place with Acho, R. Johnson (I guess), Levi Brown, Bobbie Massie, Andre Roberts, Rob Housler, Dan Williams, and hopefully a developing Michael Floyd.

If you really think that this team needs to be completely re-built, then it's going to take a decade to get us out from all those contracts and players, and replace them with equivalent talents.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Hogwash. As Duckjake mentioned in a different thread, the foundation of a good team is in place: Fitz, Peterson, Rhodes, Dockett, Campbell, Washington. There are solid complementary pieces in place with Acho, R. Johnson (I guess), Levi Brown, Bobbie Massie, Andre Roberts, Rob Housler, Dan Williams, and hopefully a developing Michael Floyd.

If you really think that this team needs to be completely re-built, then it's going to take a decade to get us out from all those contracts and players, and replace them with equivalent talents.

Yep.

WarnerHOF

Registered
Reaction score
someone photoshop this pic

<edit: image too large>

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
desertdawg

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Our tank will resemble the septic variety, not some bad ass piece of machinery....well maybe the car underneath it.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score

I completely agree. The cupboards are not bare. We have a strong core of young players. All we need is a dozen or so players to complement them.

Hopefully we can land a few in FA this year. Hopefully we can pick up a handfull in of them in the draft. Will it get us all the way there. I don't think so. It will take time for the young players to get on the same page and mature. However we wil be in a better place and hopefully will be much healthier cap wise as we enter 2014.

OP
OP
desertdawg

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I completely agree. The cupboards are not bare. We have a strong core of young players. All we need is a dozen or so players to complement them.

Hopefully we can land a few in FA this year. Hopefully we can pick up a handfull in of them in the draft. Will it get us all the way there. I don't think so. It will take time for the young players to get on the same page and mature. However we wil be in a better place and hopefully will be much healthier cap wise as we enter 2014.
We do have some core, and some of them have been freshly signed on there way up for once so I agree on that note. I'm hoping it only takes one year of suckage to turn it around, but I do see suckage this year, and it appears to be intentional. Nobody tripped when Indy did it, and with our coaching and line up changes, I don't think anyone will trip when/if we do it. Clear a gang of money and get the cream of the crop QB next year along with whatever we gather in the draft this year. Lotta youth, and a little bit of time considering the whiners and chickens live on our block.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
We do have some core, and some of them have been freshly signed on there way up for once so I agree on that note. I'm hoping it only takes one year of suckage to turn it around, but I do see suckage this year, and it appears to be intentional. Nobody tripped when Indy did it, and with our coaching and line up changes, I don't think anyone will trip when/if we do it. Clear a gang of money and get the cream of the crop QB next year along with whatever we gather in the draft this year. Lotta youth, and a little bit of time considering the whiners and chickens live on our block.

Of course it's intentional. You don't accidently trip while running with scissors and cut someone off the team. You do it to free up cap space now and for the future. You cut players who the previous staff made bad decisions on. Some of the are not easy. This forces you to bring in younger cheaper players.

After all of these moves are made, the Cards will put the best team out there that they can this year. They will try to win every game. Will they have a successful season? Probably not. Will they be ready to make a run in 2014? Hopefully so if everything works as planned.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

When has there ever been a team that "was in a better place" following a five-win or worse season?

FYI - Williams, Housler and Acho are eligible for free agency in two years. Andre Roberts after next year. Kerry Rhodes after this year. What will be the incentive for them to stay here besides overpaying them?

And Patrick Peterson will be an unrestricted free agent in 2016.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
When has there ever been a team that "was in a better place" following a five-win or worse season?

FYI - Williams, Housler and Acho are eligible for free agency in two years. Andre Roberts after next year. Kerry Rhodes after this year. What will be the incentive for them to stay here besides overpaying them?

The Cardinals have so many holes it will be near impossible to fill them all in one season. That means that a lot of younger guys will be given a starting role. Even so that doesn't mean they don't try to win. I just don't see them making the playoff with SF and SEA in the division looking so strong this year.

However with all of the moves that we are making this year... It frees up cap space to sign those young guys who will be up for contracts in a couple of years. Maybe even re-sign them... wait for it... before their contracts expire and they hit the market.

OP
OP
desertdawg

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Of course it's intentional. You don't accidently trip while running with scissors and cut someone off the team. You do it to free up cap space now and for the future. You cut players who the previous staff made bad decisions on. Some of the are not easy. This forces you to bring in younger cheaper players.

After all of these moves are made, the Cards will put the best team out there that they can this year. They will try to win every game. Will they have a successful season? Probably not. Will they be ready to make a run in 2014? Hopefully so if everything works as planned.
If Leonardo DiCaprio asked me if I concurred right now I would say yes. The team will go out and try to win every week, good players don't mail it in and coaches never ask them too. We can contruct our offensive plays to key in on our O-line's weaknesses and work on them while we don't have a QBOTF getting tackle-dummied during the process. But like you say, it's kind of out there in the open the Cardinals are not desperate to field the best team out there right now, I hope that changes next year, and I'm fine with giving Arians and the new GM crew time to set it into play.

Denny and Singletary crack me up. Both picked out some really nice rosters, stayed tough on their philosaphies, and then someother coach came in and finished the job and looked brilliant doing so. Arians is a bit different, and he seems to be playing war right now, and doesn't mind losing the first battle.

I could be wrong, maybe this is the Cardinals ultamite plan to get a ring this year. :D

OP
OP
desertdawg

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

I thought the Colts sucked for Luck and then went into the offseason very next year style. I think we got the coach that led them to the playoffs. :D The players you highly value on this squad can help us with that.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I thought the Colts sucked for Luck and then went into the offseason very next year style. I think we got the coach that led them to the playoffs. :D The players you highly value on this squad can help us with that.

Maybe, but we're coming off a 5-win season. The 2011 Indy Colts were coming of an 11-win season.

It's a difference in a culture. Our "young studs" outside of Campbell don't know anything but failure and mediocrity.

We've brought along a failure of a defensive coordinator to coach our good players. We've brought in a mediocrity of a head coach to work with our terrible offense.

I think this is really going to work.

I'm going to choose to believe that MCD is in a kind of fuge state of denial where he can't truly assess the horror of what's actually happened to the reality of the Arizona Cardinals roster, and just kind of repeats to himself "Cap space... young guys..." while wrapping his arms around his knees.

Because his arguments don't make any sense when you line them up next to one another, and he can't explain why we're paying a kicker $1.5 million, and that's okay, but we have to cut Beanie Wells and William Gay because...

... Freedom?

OP
OP
desertdawg

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Maybe, but we're coming off a 5-win season. The 2011 Indy Colts were coming of an 11-win season.

It's a difference in a culture. Our "young studs" outside of Campbell don't know anything but failure and mediocrity.

We've brought along a failure of a defensive coordinator to coach our good players. We've brought in a mediocrity of a head coach to work with our terrible offense.

I'm going to choose to believe that MCD is in a kind of fuge state of denial where he can't truly assess the horror of what's actually happened to the reality of the Arizona Cardinals roster, and just kind of repeats to himself "Cap space... young guys..." while wrapping his arms around his knees.

Because his arguments don't make any sense when you line them up next to one another, and he can't explain why we're paying a kicker $1.5 million, and that's okay, but we have to cut Beanie Wells and William Gay because...

... Freedom?
The Beanster cut was jaw dropping considering our money situation. Just showed me that he is wiping the cutting board clean, I honestly think we got lucky signing some of our young talent before Arians got here because the core we signed would be the best bartering chips, but are freshly inked so I think/hope they are safe. I think Arians plans on keeping the young talent that he can, and adding what he thinks is neccesary in 2014 for his "Bidwill accountability".

Whiz has given the next coach so much leeway, didn't matter but I'm glad Mikey picked out a coach that has handled this transition...recently. This year is going to suck, I don't know why they cut some bait on a couple guys, others I can understand. But they way they aren't concerned about replacing that talent we just lost, and aren't jocking for the holes we have still glaring...I think it's safe to say Mikey will not hold Arians accountable for the 2013 season. I think their think room came up with tank and rebuild while the whiners and chickens party. The Lambs look like they are still trying to race, but them cats aint going anywhere soon because of the new powerhouses that now reside in the "NFCWorst".

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score

... Freedom?

When the owners decided to can the last staff did you not see this coming? Were you blind? This new staff had no loyalty to players on the roster. They want their guys in here or guys they think they can still work with.

Oh and I agree. The kicker should go as well. Tha's $1.5M that is better used elsewhere. Feely can easily be replaced for cheaper.

Last edited:
OP
OP
desertdawg

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Ray Horton just fought for and got Kruger today, baller style (just read an email), HC style. I see him being head coach there with in 2 years, the Kruger addition will net him so much street cred there while the offense will go all Cardinal... kind of makes me laugh.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
The Cardinals have so many holes it will be near impossible to fill them all in one season. That means that a lot of younger guys will be given a starting role. Even so that doesn't mean they don't try to win. I just don't see them making the playoff with SF and SEA in the division looking so strong this year.

However with all of the moves that we are making this year... It frees up cap space to sign those young guys who will be up for contracts in a couple of years. Maybe even re-sign them... wait for it... before their contracts expire and they hit the market.

It is one thing to have holes, and it is a totally different matter to create holes. Before we started cutting players we needed a QB, OG, SILB, OLB, and a #3 CB if we were unable to re-sign Toler. The rest of our needs were just adding players to replace other players in the future. Instead of taking our little money available to fix these issues, we cut our starting RB, starting SS, and our #2 CB. Now we are still financially restricted and have more holes to fill.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
It is one thing to have holes, and it is a totally different matter to create holes. Before we started cutting players we needed a QB, OG, SILB, OLB, and a #3 CB if we were unable to re-sign Toler. The rest of our needs were just adding players to replace other players in the future. Instead of taking our little money available to fix these issues, we cut our starting RB, starting SS, and our #2 CB. Now we are still financially restricted and have more holes to fill.

That's one thing that I don't get: we went from having a top 10 defense and needing to upgrade some positions on offense to dismantling the defense and replacing the top player at his position on the the offense. We haven't made a single move on the weakest part of the team, while significantly weakening the strength of the unit.

I get that there are some people who are going to have faith that Arians, Keim, and Bowles are going to have a plan to turn this around, but that plan doesn't seem to make a lot of sense right now.

We've gone from having to maintain depth and upgrade a couple of positions to having to field a defense with no changes on offense. Doesn't make any sense.

OP
OP
desertdawg

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Yeah baby, the tank is in. Everything points to 2014, follow the money. Stanton will be good for 4 wins max, then reduced down to a back=up once we get the top QB in next year's draft. We aint going Geno this year, not with the fat guys we need. Fat guys are very important, we need them here for when we actually try to field a team to...win. I am A O K with this, it needed to be done. This year will suck balls but we can make some real moves next year.