Pittsburgh Guard Ramon Foster

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
PITTSBURGH TALK WITH FOSTER

The Steelers had contract discussions with Ramon Foster's agent, Joel Segal, on Thursday and could make the unrestricted free agent offensive lineman an offer after the organization gets a better idea of their finances, a source with knowledge of the meeting said.

However, an offer may come too late and under market value. Arizona, Chicago and Tennessee have shown interest in the 27-year-old guard.

D

Darkside

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Anyone got stats on this dude? I'm on my phone and can't look him up. And yes I'm a stat *****.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Anyone got stats on this dude? I'm on my phone and can't look him up. And yes I'm a stat *****.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Enormous (6'6", 325) guard who has started 42 games for the Steelers in the last four years. Former undrafted free agent allowed only 4 sacks and 2 penalties in 2012.

Also, how embarrassing is it that if we bring in Foster we would have changed out like 8 guards in the last 4 years? How dumb is our front office?

FWIW, I think the interest from Arizona is mularkey. We're going to come up in every conversation for an offensive position that isn't wide receiver, because we are not a very good football team.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Enormous (6'6", 325) guard who has started 42 games for the Steelers in the last four years. Former undrafted free agent allowed only 4 sacks and 2 penalties in 2012.

Also, how embarrassing is it that if we bring in Foster we would have changed out like 8 guards in the last 4 years? How dumb is our front office?

FWIW, I think the interest from Arizona is mularkey. We're going to come up in every conversation for an offensive position that isn't wide receiver, because we are not a very good football team.

This is why I feel ARZ shouldn't go with Chance Warmack unless all pash rushing prospects and Geno Smith are off the board. Most of the top OG's in the NFL are guys taken midway to late in the draft. I understand Warmack is the top OG and is considered probably the best OL in the draft and the best interior lineman analysts have seen in years but isn't this exactly what was said about David DeCastro last year and he went like 17th? I have the mind set that ARZ is not going to sign starting caliber FA's but only depth guys and filling starting holes with drafted players.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
This is why I feel ARZ shouldn't go with Chance Warmack unless all pash rushing prospects and Geno Smith are off the board. Most of the top OG's in the NFL are guys taken midway to late in the draft. I understand Warmack is the top OG and is considered probably the best OL in the draft and the best interior lineman analysts have seen in years but isn't this exactly what was said about David DeCastro last year and he went like 17th? I have the mind set that ARZ is not going to sign starting caliber FA's but only depth guys and filling starting holes with drafted players.

Warmack was/is the superior prospect and he's almost two years younger than DDC. Also last years draft was stacked. The #1 pick this year probably wouldn't have gone top 5 last year.

Last edited:

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Wow.

I would hate this signing.

Instead of 2 over paid, and extremely under whelming guards, we would have three.

If we are going to waste money in free agency on a guard, then go after Andy Levitre or Ramon Vasquez, both better then Foster.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score

I was all over Warmack, but the more I realize guards are a dime a dozen, the more I think we would be better off finding guards in the later rounds.

I fear we would draft Warmack then in 4 years he wants 10 mill a year. I don't want to be paying guards 10mill per. So he walks...

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I was all over Warmack, but the more I realize guards are a dime a dozen, the more I think we would be better off finding guards in the later rounds.

I fear we would draft Warmack then in 4 years he wants 10 mill a year. I don't want to be paying guards 10mill per. So he walks...

Just because you CAN find OGs in the middle rounds of the draft, doesn't mean you WILL find OGs in the middle rounds of the draft. Not many mid round OGs are starting year one, and not many develop into dominating players. There will always be exceptions, but I would rather take a player to shore up our LG spot in 2013 than draft a guy we hope breaks into the lineup in 2014. See Senio Kelemete.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score

I disagree:

Dime a Dozen:
You must be registered for see images attach

Not so much:
You must be registered for see images attach

Why not pay a guard 10 milllion a year if he is causing your offense to produce beyond the skill of his "skill players" ? I don't get it.

If the player is THAT good then you pay him, see our 14 million a year wide receiver, and soon to be outrageiously paid cornerback.

BIG BIG difference. I know being a Cardinals fan would make anyone believe that any guard is as good as any guard, but in all honesty we have not had a guard any where close to elite in decades.

Leonard Davis was close, but he was above-average at his best here in AZ.

A guard that has All-Pro potential and skill is going to be a better pick then a QB that never sees the field, IMO.

For years this organization has neglected the offensive line. I cannot fathom how people continue to gloss it over.

Last edited:

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Exactly. We've been trying the low quality guy and trying to turn him into gold for the past few years on the OL and it hasn't worked out too well. Massie was at first rumored to be a 1st-2nd round pick who dropped, and Potter was a starter on a very good college team. Even then I would prefer to upgrade over them. But I also understand that with Levi coming back we have three tackles that at least for this year are untouchable. Overall it IS possible to get good guys low, it's just sort of rare.

Most of us have been complaining about not addressing the OL early, but now because one of the best OG prospects in the past decade, perhaps the best may fall into our lap, some MAY want us to use the justification that we can get good guards lower? It's a bit shocking we haven't realized this when describing OG's and linking it to our past approaches and realizing it's exactly what we want to see done away with at that position.

We've seen the epic level of suck on our line these past few years, and I for one didn't think they were that good even when Warner was here. He just hid their deficiencies well. We also got lucky with Gandy. Levi was getting beat around the edge like he always does we just had a QB that could see it, recognize it was probably coming beforehand, and get the ball out in time.

I understand Beerz and he is ultimately correct that we would be better off IF we could find one late. But I think in an imperfect world we would be best to take a supreme talent in a very big position of need for us. I like striving for optimal, but sometimes optimal on paper and optimal in fact can be two different approaches and I think Warmack is one of those guys that presents a situation like that.

I would love Warmack because he is a stud and you will be getting probably the surest thing in the draft. A guy who will be a monster in the NFL. Barring injuries or something freaky.

I can understand if we go another direction. I can even understand if we take a QB. But the guy I want most in this draft is Warmack. Perhaps that changes but it's how I've felt for the past few months, and if we grab someone else and score in the 2nd and 3rd with OL then it might be the best of both worlds. I can also easily understand an edge rusher at #7. So I think with our #7 pick we will be attempting hopefully to address a need with a good talent. But imo we have seen better QB classes. We've seen better pass rushing classes. This class is all about the lines, and I think we should stock up.

I tend to think our OL made our horrible QB's even more so, and if we don't fix the OL it doesn't matter about anything else because our offense won't give whatever QB or RB's we have a chance to run plays, and put the onus on the defense which even when doing stellar, still only amounted to 5 wins last year. Our OL was the #1 problem, even above QB. Because it was our OL that helped contribute to our QB issues. But overall the combo of a fragile Kolb and our OL was a killer. What good is Fitz if we don't have a line to let him run his routes? Or Arians's vertical offense if we can't give the time to run those plays? I understand Arians is willing to alter his approach, but I still would rather have him in a comfort zone rather than trying to piecemeal together an offense. I think ultimately the best way is to run an offense in his comfort zone, vertical, which has aspects that play to each of our player's strengths, and a few things taken out that don't. I don't think it's wise to think he can alter his offense to work with players that are so crappy that our QB has 2.5 seconds, sometimes less to get the ball off.

I think the success rate IF you find an NFL capable player in low rounds or UDFA is then higher at the G position to be pretty good and serviceable, but overall it is still as much of a crapshoot to begin with.

If people want to trade down and get the combine freak at guard, I'm not completely against it. But I would love to get me the interior of Bama's line. I think what they had on the line translates well to the NFL. I still think we'll have issues on the edges, in a division that deploys edge rushers like riot police in Greece, but I think it's within our grasp to fix our interior in the draft this year and fix it for quite some time.

It's not going for need and selecting an inferior talent, it's need and superior talent coming together so we should have no problem if we take a guy 5-10-15 spots ahead of where a lesser talent at his position would go in other years. Those are all just projections and tradition. I say take the player that is of supreme talent if he is available.

But if we go another direction I certainly see the reasoning. Warmack could easily go above us.

Last edited:

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

This is among the worst reasons to pass on a drafted player. First, it's 5 years. Second, if you're not drafting a player out of the fear that he works out, becomes one of the 3 best players at his position in the NFL before his final year, and then you can't sign him? That's completely silly.

Draft the player with the hope he turns out to be who you scouted. If he outperforms that expectation, then you end up with Steve Breaston, and everything works out.