Adam Schefter - Graves amongst 4 GMs that could lose their job

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter
The four GMs in most danger of losing jobs are Arizona’s Rod Graves, Cleveland’s Tom Heckert, Jacksonville’s Gene Smith, SD's A.J. Smith.

I can only hope that he is right on Graves.

OP
OP
az jam

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Mike Jurecki ‏@mikejurecki
ESPN GM's Hot Seat... I'm hearing Steve Keim could be promoted to GM of the Cards. No decision until the season is over

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
why anyone, save Horton, involved in this train wreck of a team for the better part of 3 years should be promoted is beyond me.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
why anyone, save Horton, involved in this train wreck of a team for the better part of 3 years should be promoted is beyond me.

Well Cheese, then it's obviously beyond you! Whiz will rightfully be back & you'll have to get over it. If Graves is canned & Whiz isn't, then it'll be obvious to me that Graves was more the culprit than Whisenhunt. 6 playoff games, NFC Championship & SB appearance with this MESS of a franchise definitely gives Whiz the benefit of the doubt. Even if they had gone winless this year, he still deserves that right. You just haven't seen enough Cardinal football over years to appreciate where Whiz took us. And you so full of Whiz hate, that you can't see how close this team is to being a very good team again. Next year at this time, you'll be eating a huge plate of crow & I'll make sure it's prepared just right.

New Mexico

Fan since 1976ish
Reaction score
Well Cheese, then it's obviously beyond you! Whiz will rightfully be back & you'll have to get over it. If Graves is canned & Whiz isn't, then it'll be obvious to me that Graves was more the culprit than Whisenhunt. 6 playoff games, NFC Championship & SB appearance with this MESS of a franchise definitely gives Whiz the benefit of the doubt. Even if they had gone winless this year, he still deserves that right. You just haven't seen enough Cardinal football over years to appreciate where Whiz took us. And you so full of Whiz hate, that you can't see how close this team is to being a very good team again. Next year at this time, you'll be eating a huge plate of crow & I'll make sure it's prepared just right.

Wait. So you'd want Whiz back even if we went 0-16?

SoCal Cardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Bwhahahahaha... C'mon coach Whiz, quit screwing around on message boards and work on your game plan.

TigToad

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
We are so close to being an 8-6 team right now, a field goal, a catch away, etc.

3 more plays this year and people are praising Whiz for being in position to make the playoffs with two small school non-NFL quarterbacks on the roster. We are that close.

I'm not happy with this season, obviously, but to blame Whiz for all of it is silly. We have a championship defense, finally, some young talent on the o-line, and we can turn this whole thing around if we had a top 20 QB. I don't think it would take anything more than that to be 9-5 right now. How are we going toget one of those? Beats the crap out of me. But, it is not like Whiz has a magic QB wand that he isn't using.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Does it really matter who the GM is if ownership doesn't stay out of the way totally & let that GM do what's best for the franchise? Just sayin

SoCal Cardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
We are so close to being an 8-6 team right now, a field goal, a catch away, etc.

3 more plays this year and people are praising Whiz for being in position to make the playoffs with two small school non-NFL quarterbacks on the roster. We are that close.

I'm not happy with this season, obviously, but to blame Whiz for all of it is silly. We have a championship defense, finally, some young talent on the o-line, and we can turn this whole thing around if we had a top 20 QB. I don't think it would take anything more than that to be 9-5 right now. How are we going toget one of those? Beats the crap out of me. But, it is not like Whiz has a magic QB wand that he isn't using.

If you're willing to overlook the fact, that Whiz is supposed to be an offensive minded coach, and that his offense has been complete horseshiat for every second a guy named Kurt wasn't running it... then yeah... Lets see what else the "offensive guru" can prepare for us.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well Cheese, then it's obviously beyond you! Whiz will rightfully be back & you'll have to get over it.

good grief man... did I even say ANYTHING about Wiz here? I said no one on this staff deserves to be PROMOTED save for maybe Horton. The only thing that's beyond anyone here apparently is your inability to read.

If Graves is canned & Whiz isn't, then it'll be obvious to me that Graves was more the culprit than Whisenhunt. 6 playoff games, NFC Championship & SB appearance with this MESS of a franchise definitely gives Whiz the benefit of the doubt.

for how long? He's basically had three years to create his own team... and HIS team, which depended on a host of players who ALWAYS get injured is 18-28 since we basically purged most of the Super Bowl team. I'm mean, to what depths does that team have to sink to before he doesn't deserve the benefit of the doubt anymore?

Even if they had gone winless this year, he still deserves that right.

uh... so, depths lower than apparently the worst season in NFL history is the answer to my question. Okay... so... what is your threshold for Wiz? Should he be fired if he fails next year... or does he still deserve a fifth year to get us back on track?

You just haven't seen enough Cardinal football over years to appreciate where Whiz took us. And you so full of Whiz hate, that you can't see how close this team is to being a very good team again.

"so full of Wiz hate"... lol. Okay. Maybe you've seen TOO much Cardinal football over the years which makes you over-appreciate what Wiz has done. The guy came in to a roster filled with talent and did a good job with them, but since he jettisoned pretty much everyone from that roster on offense save Fitz, he's had 3 straight ugly ass seasons with the worst offense in the league. And I've seen NOTHING from him in the last three years that makes me think he has much of a clue of how to change anything offensively.

My problem is I CAN see how close this team is to being good, but i don't think Wiz has shown any ability to figure out how to bridge that gap. The offense has been ABYSMAL for three years and while you may want to hypothesize that in three years time we had literally zero options at QB save for literally the worst QBs in the entire league, I don't believe that to be the case. And we haven't even gotten to the offensive line which hasn't been able to muster a running game in 5 seasons. The defense is nails and the offense is horrendous... and the offense is Wiz's bag. The fact that it's so completely inept and has been for three years in a row doesn't tell me we're close with Wiz. It tells me we're going to be exactly what we are. Half a team.

Next year at this time, you'll be eating a huge plate of crow & I'll make sure it's prepared just right.

lol... here's the thing PA... I hope you're RIGHT. I'd love to see us be good again and would have no problem overdosing on crow if that were the case. i just don't see it with Wiz. I don't believe he knows how to evaluate QBs, I believe he opts for hope instead of reality relying on a cadre of chronically injured players to carry the load of the offense and he's too loyal or stubborn to make changes to his woeful offensive coaches.

but hey... keep on slamming people, calling them idiots, injecting Wiz into conversations that aren't even ABOUT Wiz if it makes you feel better. ain't no skin off my back.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

3 more plays this year and people are praising Whiz for being in position to make the playoffs with two small school non-NFL quarterbacks on the roster. We are that close. .

we're also that close to to being 2-11... a Braylon Edwards drop in the endzone on fourth down in Game 1... a missed chip-shot by Gostkowski in Game 2... the Dolphins not fumbling the game away from us in Game 4... bottom line... breaks usually even themselves out across the year and they did. We got a TON of early season breaks and then the breaks evened out. You are what you're record says you are IMO.

I'm not happy with this season, obviously, but to blame Whiz for all of it is silly. We have a championship defense, finally, some young talent on the o-line, and we can turn this whole thing around if we had a top 20 QB. I don't think it would take anything more than that to be 9-5 right now. How are we going toget one of those? Beats the crap out of me.

The problem is it beats the crap out of Wiz too... and has for three years.

OP
OP
az jam

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Agree, I just don't know if Keim has been restricted by Graves/Whiz on the draft and free agents. It might be better to go outside the organization but if not I would like to see Keim as GM and Horton as HC. I could live with that (not that anyone gives a hoot about me).

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
Whis's time with AZ is nigh. It's obvious he lacks the capacity to fix the offense and QB situation. His stubbornness and inability to put together a semi competent game plan should show him the door.

Lagerfilled

Professional Tailgater
Reaction score
My offseason wish list:

GM - Graves out; Keim in
HC - Whisenhunt out; Horton in
OC - Miller out; Haley in
QBC/WRC - Switch Reich & McNulty
DC - Horton out; Cioffi in
DBC - Cioffi out; Townsend in
Keep the rest of staff intact...

Find a way to pluck Phillip Rivers from SD. Not sure what its gonna take but we know what a Top 10 franchise type QB can do for the offense. A 1st and a 3rd ought a do it!

Trade Dockett to a 4-3 team for a 3rd or 4th rounder

In FA you can focus on depth at DE/NT, WR, RB, & TE

Re-sign Rhodes, R Johnson, Sanders, Toler, & LSH

Draft a pass rushers, guards, & a QB

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
Rod Graves will never "be fired." He is entrenched with the Bidwill family. They may give someone else the GM title (since Graves is not really making GM decisions anyway) but he will have some other title within the organization.

By all accounts, Steve Keim is a hot commodity right now. Apparently lots of GM jobs opening up that he's being considered for.

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I have been struggling as of late to find new and inventive ways to basically say the same thing that has been said for years. The Cardinals are putrid offensively. There is no need to sugar coat it or find excuses for it. There is clearly no one on the offensive side of the ball, the coaching staff, or the front office that should be untouchable. To argue otherwise is an excercise in futility.

This report lacks substance. It is basically an internet rumor that hit the screen. I would be more shocked if Rod was NOT in jeopardy of losing his job. I like the guy, but everyone has an expiration date. There should be no job for life in the NFL.

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
P.S. Same goes for Whiz. I feel bad for the guy when I see him simmering on the sidelines and guys run over and huge him. It is obviously not what he or i want, but sometimes you just got to part ways.

I am really afraid that this team will win one or two of these meaningless games and roll with the status quo for another year. This is unacceptable on so many levels.

My patience for the Cardinals has been waning hard this year. I refuse to waste time watching a team throw away my money. I will alway be a fan of this team.. they are the only team for me, but I am starting to find other things to do on Sundays [reluctantly]

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
P.S. Same goes for Whiz. I feel bad for the guy when I see him simmering on the sidelines and guys run over and huge him. It is obviously not what he or i want, but sometimes you just got to part ways.

I am really afraid that this team will win one or two of these meaningless games and roll with the status quo for another year. This is unacceptable on so many levels.

My patience for the Cardinals has been waning hard this year. I refuse to waste time watching a team throw away my money. I will alway be a fan of this team.. they are the only team for me, but I am starting to find other things to do on Sundays [reluctantly]

Clif---I know exactly what you are saying---but we Cardinals fans are here to stay---we were here long before any of the coaches or players---what i do is try to get excited about the future by watching the young players improve.

Hang in there, pal. Stay tuned to the games---hopefully this time the Bidwills will do what's best to move the team forward in the right direction.

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Clif---I know exactly what you are saying---but we Cardinals fans are here to stay---we were here long before any of the coaches or players---what i do is try to get excited about the future by watching the young players improve.

Hang in there, pal. Stay tuned to the games---hopefully this time the Bidwills will do what's best to move the team forward in the right direction.

Im not going any where. I can't even fathom investing as much time, energy, money, blood, sweat and tears into another team. At most they are just making me dislike football.

After a few months of boredom I will be back in the saddle next year. I am just tired of the same ole bs.

I've payed my dues with this team. They owe me dammit.

LarryStalling

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Parting ways with graves is real good thing. Parthing ways with graves and Whiz is the best thing.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Hopefully they give Keim, if he's the guy, the proper authority that comes with the title and Keim has the personality to assume a strong GM role. Otherwise it's just shuffling people around to make it look like they are doing something.

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter
The four GMs in most danger of losing jobs are Arizona’s Rod Graves, Cleveland’s Tom Heckert, Jacksonville’s Gene Smith, SD's A.J. Smith.

I can only hope that he is right on Graves.
:fans:

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Hopefully they give Keim, if he's the guy, the proper authority that comes with the title and Keim has the personality to assume a strong GM role. Otherwise it's just shuffling people around to make it look like they are doing something.

Yessir exactly my thoughts...we've seen the Bidwill curse before. The next several months will show how bad Michael truly wants to win IMO

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson