Chip Kelly is My #1----and My #2 is....

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
I think Chip Kelly is going to win wherever there are footballs and games to be played.

The reasons why I say this:

1. He will draft and sign FAs for speed---speed, speed, speed---
2. He will force defenses to play hybrid packages versus his spread and not be able to substitute between plays.
3. He will exhaust every defense he plays against.
4. He won't hesitate to have the QB run, because he knows what a dilemma that puts on DCs---especially from a scrambling perspective.
5. He will run the ball when the numbers favor it---and will pass the ball when the numbers and matchups favor passing.
6. Plays will be called at the line of scrimmage and snapped so quickly the defense will have to play a standard man package.
7. Wherever he coaches, the games will be sold out---if fans thought Warner in STL put on the fastest show on turf---Kelly's offense will make Warner's look like slo-mo.
8. Decisions are made in advance---if we get in a 4th and short, we are running this pay the first time and this other play the second time---and if we have to go for a third time, here's the play.
9. His practices are now legendary---they are full tilt boogie sessions, pedal to the medal, uniquely organized and expedited.

Having said all of this you might be a little surprised at who my #2 is.

I realize that Kelly is the hottest coach on the market---and typically the Cardinals don't wind up; with the hottest coach or QB, etc.

I wonder who will be the first to guess...and it's not Ray Horton, Kurt Warner or Jon Gruden.

Give it a shot.

Last edited:

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
You're insane Mitch. :)

Al Davis would've wanted to sign Kelly too.

Being a left coaster, I can say without a doubt in my mind that Chip Kelly's system would be terrible in the NFL. QBs would get hurt and NFL teams would figure it out. You have to remember that college players spend 1/10th of the time doing film study that NFL players do, due to NCAA rules.

Chip Kelly's offense is so simple, it's almost comical that it works. I watched his team run over ASU running the same dang run play, over and over.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
College systems never work in the NFL. At Oregon he can out recruit and put a team on the field that is much faster than the competition. In the NFL every team has fast players.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Todd Haley.

Wow. You nailed it, jammer!

Here's my explanation:

1. What coach challenged and got the most out of Larry Fitzgerald?
2. People tend to forget this but Bill Belichick miserably failed at his first head coaching job with the Browns---but the great ones learn and move on.
3. What I love about Haley is that while he loves to pass the ball as mucb as any coach out there, his running game schemes are excellent. yesterday, he ran over the Giants with their #3 and #4 RBs. In KC, Jamaal Charles went off under Haley before he got hurt to the tune of 230/1,467, 6.4, 5 TDs and 45 catches for 468, 10.4 and 3 TDs in 2010---that's a combined 1,935 yard, 8 TD season.
4. He has the kind of edge to him that this team needs right now---and he'a all about accountability.
5. The Bidwills know him well---and the Super Bowl experience Haley had here could generate a good deal of forward momentum and confidence.
6. He would come here in a heartbeat---knowing the personnel that is already in place and knowing how the Bidwills operate. They would give him the right amount of authority to get the job done. And he wouldn't command a top salary until he's sufficiently earned one.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That Oregon offense will not work in the NFL. The level of athletic talent on an NFL field compared to the defenses Oregon is basically just outrunning in college is immeasurable. The quickness of NFL linebackers will crush that offense. So unless Kelly has something radically different up his sleeve then I dont see him succeeding.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
You're insane Mitch. :)

Al Davis would've wanted to sign Kelly too.

Being a left coaster, I can say without a doubt in my mind that Chip Kelly's system would be terrible in the NFL. QBs would get hurt and NFL teams would figure it out. You have to remember that college players spend 1/10th of the time doing film study that NFL players do, due to NCAA rules.

Chip Kelly's offense is so simple, it's almost comical that it works. I watched his team run over ASU running the same dang run play, over and over.

Chip Kelly would run an adaptation of his system to fit the NFL---you will see because he will be an NFL head coach next year.

The point is speed, speed, speed---both in personnel and in getting the play communicated and snapped.

The guy is a genius.

He also knows what makes today's players tick.

I cannot wait to see how he takes on the NFL. It's going to be fascinating to watch.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Wow. You nailed it, jammer!

Here's my explanation:

1. What coach challenged and got the most out of Larry Fitzgerald?
2. People tend to forget this but Bill Belichick miserably failed at his first head coaching job with the Browns---but the great ones learn and move on.
3. What I love about Haley is that while he loves to pass the ball as mucb as any coach out there, his running game schemes are excellent. yesterday, he ran over the Giants with their #3 and #4 RBs. In KC, Jamaal Charles went off under Haley before he got hurt to the tune of 230/1,467, 6.4, 5 TDs and 45 catches for 468, 10.4 and 3 TDs in 2010---that's a combined 1,935 yard, 8 TD season.
4. He has the kind of edge to him that this team needs right now---and he'a all about accountability.
5. The Bidwills know him well---and the Super Bowl experience Haley had here could generate a good deal of forward momentum and confidence.
6. He would come here in a heartbeat---knowing the personnel that is already in place and knowing how the Bidwills operate. They would give him the right amount of authority to get the job done. And he wouldn't command a top salary until he's sufficiently earned one.

Bill Belichick failed at his first stop because the franchise was in disarray. Before they announced their move to Baltimore he won 11 games and the only Browns playoff win in the last 20 years. His "failure" was the result of the organization. While Todd Haley is so abrasive his team quickly grew tired of his act and quit on him as bad as any coach in recent memory. This is a guy even Kurt Warner had a screaming match with on the sideline.

The idea of Haley being a brilliant head coaching mind amazes me. There is no evidence of it. The Cardinals offense didnt miss a beat the year after he left. He owes his Kansas paychecks to Warner and Whiz because their talent setup this illusion that many here are still buying into.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Bill Belichick failed at his first stop because the franchise was in disarray. Before they announced their move to Baltimore he won 11 games and the only Browns playoff win in the last 20 years. His "failure" was the result of the organization. While Todd Haley is so abrasive his team quickly grew tired of his act and quit on him as bad as any coach in recent memory. This is a guy even Kurt Warner had a screaming match with on the sideline.

The idea of Haley being a brilliant head coaching mind amazes me. There is no evidence of it. The Cardinals offense didnt miss a beat the year after he left. He owes his Kansas paychecks to Warner and Whiz because their talent setup this illusion that many here are still buying into.

Did you see the coaching job he did at NY yesterday?

With a makeshift lineup no less.

The guy can flat-out coach offense.

Yes, he's abrasive at times---but so is Tom Coughlin and wouldn't the Cardinals like to drink whatever Tom Coughlin in drinking.

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
I was thinking we didn't bring him back as OC because he would have Whis looking over his shoulder.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Yes, he's abrasive at times---but so is Tom Coughlin and wouldn't the Cardinals like to drink whatever Tom Coughlin in drinking.

Haley is extremely abrasive. And the Steelers offense has been capable of days like yesterday before he got there.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I was thinking we didn't bring him back as OC because he would have Whis looking over his shoulder.

I dont think he will ever be back in Az while there are players here who worked under him before. His players dont like him and I am sure the organization knows this.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
I propose this: no more head coaching threads until they change the front office.

I get that Whis has significant personnel clout-- but the point of a Gm in a situation where the HC has serious personnel pull is to curb the HCs excesses, fill in blind spots and provide some longer term thinking for the roster.

Graves has done none of this IMO.

So before the cards go out and hire the hot coach everyone wants ( and give him the same or more clout Whis has today) , the team better get someone in the GM slot who knows what they are doing.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Haley = Coughlin....

In what football universe?

Tyler

Registered
Reaction score
I dont see Chip leaving NikeU. They can pay him whatever he wants, I wouldnt be surprised if Uncle Phil gives him a blank check to keep him there.

Cards_Campos

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Mitch...me and you agree on alot of things but i dont know about this one. 1 coach reminds of Chip Kelly. He dominated College and had a NFZL style system that you would have thought would have worked. Steve Spurrier. His style was pretty incredible in college...but didnt work in the NFL.

I agree with an earlier poster.....His style is so simplistic but with major speed in 3 areas...in college you can dominate. The QB either handoffs or fakes the handoff and runs in a different direction. That is hard to defend when the 2 main guys are 4.4 runners...and college defenses might have 1 speedster. Plus in college u watch tape for 1 team...1 game at a time. In the NFL....you have more time to study and teams would figure it out.

Look at the run and shoot. It tore up the league for about 3 years...and then disappeared when teams figured it out. And I think Kelly's offense is easier to stop when you have talent on the line and linebackers.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I dont see Chip leaving NikeU. They can pay him whatever he wants, I wouldnt be surprised if Uncle Phil gives him a blank check to keep him there.

Yep. He would be crazier than Mitch if he left Oregon :p

What he has going there is special, and when coaches leave situations like that, they rarely get back to it.

Look at Spurrier. At Florida he was a coaching genius who was in the national title hunt nearly every season. He left, and even though he's taken the real USC to unparalleled heights for their program, it's still a large step down from the success at Florida.

Chip Kelly's scheme wouldn't work as well because no NFL team can hold the edge on speed that Oregon has. And his offense schemes, like I said, are ridiculously simple. Once a team figures it out, it fail miserably.

This is an unpopular opinion around here, but I believe that most of our problems are caused by poor execution and a lack of talent. John Skelton can't read a defense and we're a poor blocking team (run and pass). No coordinator in the NFL would make this system work.

I think the answer is that ownership/management needs to step in. I think the team needs to fire Rod Graves. I don't see any advantage in having Graves around, he's not a great personnel guy and he's not a great business guy because he continually signs BAD free agents.

We need to elevate Steve Keim to GM, pay Horton an exorbitant sum to stay, fire Miller and Grimm, and put Whisenhunt on a short lease. I disagree with your comment that Whisenhunt doesn't give this team an edge, no coach in this teams history has been better at giving this team an edge in big games. The problem is that some of his missteps have gone unsolved (OL) or have been compounded (QB). Miller isn't even as good as Whisenhunt was at calling games, so his value added is minimal. Grimm has to go based on the lack of development of the offensive line.

Whisenhunt shouldn't go just yet; I would give him one more season to turn this around, but I would remove some of his guys and fix the personnel department/upper management once and for all.

Cards_Campos

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Yep. He would be crazier than Mitch if he left Oregon :p

What he has going there is special, and when coaches leave situations like that, they rarely get back to it.

Look at Spurrier. At Florida he was a coaching genius who was in the national title hunt nearly every season. He left, and even though he's taken the real USC to unparalleled heights for their program, it's still a large step down from the success at Florida.

Chip Kelly's scheme wouldn't work as well because no NFL team can hold the edge on speed that Oregon has. And his offense schemes, like I said, are ridiculously simple. Once a team figures it out, it fail miserably.

This is an unpopular opinion around here, but I believe that most of our problems are caused by poor execution and a lack of talent. John Skelton can't read a defense and we're a poor blocking team (run and pass). No coordinator in the NFL would make this system work.

I think the answer is that ownership/management needs to step in. I think the team needs to fire Rod Graves. I don't see any advantage in having Graves around, he's not a great personnel guy and he's not a great business guy because he continually signs BAD free agents.

We need to elevate Steve Keim to GM, pay Horton an exorbitant sum to stay, fire Miller and Grimm, and put Whisenhunt on a short lease. I disagree with your comment that Whisenhunt doesn't give this team an edge, no coach in this teams history has been better at giving this team an edge in big games. The problem is that some of his missteps have gone unsolved (OL) or have been compounded (QB). Miller isn't even as good as Whisenhunt was at calling games, so his value added is minimal. Grimm has to go based on the lack of development of the offensive line.

Whisenhunt shouldn't go just yet; I would give him one more season to turn this around, but I would remove some of his guys and fix the personnel department/upper management once and for all.

Really??? look at the post above you

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson