Upton. And The Whole Roster Can Be Traded

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Obviously they don't have any untouchable players. Pretty much everyone except Kubel and Goldy have underwelmed all year. And neither one of those guys is untouchable.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
I'd consider it a big mistake to move Upton this year. If he doesn't improve the rest of this year much and then starts out slow next year, then sure, move him.

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
How many years do we give Upton? Harper is 19 and plays like he really cares, in his 1st year! I would give anything to see Upton play with the spirit that Harper does. I've never seen Harper dog it. The kid plays lights out.

ArizonaSportsFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
How many years do we give Upton? Harper is 19 and plays like he really cares, in his 1st year! I would give anything to see Upton play with the spirit that Harper does. I've never seen Harper dog it. The kid plays lights out.
You are implying that Upton "dog's it". I disagree. Can he be over-agressive? Sure. Petulant? Seems so. Lazy? No, I don't buy it. A player with his penchant for infield singles is certainly not dogging it.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
Obviously they don't have any untouchable players. Pretty much everyone except Kubel and Goldy have underwelmed all year. And neither one of those guys is untouchable.

Aaron Hill and Wade Miley?

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
I don't know what Upton's problem is but I bet the team would win 15 out of the next 20 if he broke his toe and went on the 60 day DL.

Having a quote "superstar" that bats 3rd in the lineup and does squat has to be a real chemistry killer.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I don't know what Upton's problem is but I bet the team would win 15 out of the next 20 if he broke his toe and went on the 60 day DL.

Having a quote "superstar" that bats 3rd in the lineup and does squat has to be a real chemistry killer.
You're right. Look what it took for him to come to life for awhile and raise his batting average to the .260's. Right now he projects for 13-14 HR's and 70 RBI's. That's not something for a "superstar" wannabe to be proud of. Not him, not the team.

The trouble is that Kubel at cleanup and Goldschmidt at #5 are perfect for us, but the #3 spot was invested in Upton. With him failing, there is no one else to take his place. We put all of our eggs in the Upton basket and they cracked.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
You're right. Look what it took for him to come to life for awhile and raise his batting average to the .260's. Right now he projects for 13-14 HR's and 70 RBI's. That's not something for a "superstar" wannabe to be proud of. Not him, not the team.

The trouble is that Kubel at cleanup and Goldschmidt at #5 are perfect for us, but the #3 spot was invested in Upton. With him failing, there is no one else to take his place. We put all of our eggs in the Upton basket and they cracked.

Maybe they should switched Upton and Hill for a while and tell Upton to ease up and hit for average? It seems like he's always trying to hit a home run. Only problem is he's not doing a very good job. He seems to do a lot better when he's behind in the count. He does lead the team in runs scored. If he gets dialed in and starts hitting for power they can always move him back to #3.

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score

Mrh182

Jai Guru Deva OM
Reaction score
The Pirates actually have some decent pitchers in their system right now, but they're famous for not knowing what they're doing on draft day, so it might be worth it for them to make a trade.

Plus, having Upton hitting behind McCutchen?! :eek:

I think the last thing we would need is more pitching prospects, we already have a log am there and Bradley is a few seasons away

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Detroit and Pittsburgh are calling on Upton. No deal with Detroit can be had unless Avisail Garcia is included. That's my demand and I won't let it happen unless his name is included.

I think the last thing we would need is more pitching prospects, we already have a log am there and Bradley is a few seasons away

Totally agree. The D-Backs need every day players, not guys who only make an impact once every 5 games. Pitching is important, but you have to invest SOMETHING into the daily lineup or you end up in this position all the time. It's why Upton got called up at 18.

I admit, part of me is terrified of trading Upton only to see him blow up. He's 24. He's not in his prime yet. You trade him away because you have less faith in the odds he matures as a player, but you'd be folding on an 8-figure pot of gold.

Last edited:

Matt L

formerly known as mattyboy
Reaction score
I really doubt he is going anywhere, this year his salary is at $6.5 million which is pretty reasonable for a starting RF, next year it goes up to $9.75 million and then in 2014 it hits $14+

Even though he is having a tough time he has a lot going for him that makes him more valuable than what most teams can offer in prospects:

1. He is young
2. He has superstar potential
3. His contract is set for the next 3 years.

However, if I were to move him I would send him to the AL and I would ask Boston to send Xander Bogaerts and a player to be named later (Deven Marrero)

They would never go for it but I would expect at least two blue chip prospects in return for Upton.

Last edited:

AsUdUdE

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I think at this point it is 50/50.. I have read multiple quotes from "sources" that talks about the Dbacks are only interested in making the perfect deal..

Towers knows what he is doing, trading a potential superstar like Upton is about creating demand, and he is doing just that. With the extra Wildcard spot more teams think they have a chance at the playoffs, and those currently in the lead are trying to make some moves to keep the gaps from closing.. This new wrinkle could create more trades than ever as the deadline approaches, and Towers knows it..

Having another 3 years from Upton is a HUUUGE selling point which again makes sense why moving him now (with Parra waiting in the wings) is the way to go..

But alas in the end, the Dbacks will not make the deal unless it is a deal the Dbacks can not refuse they simply stand pat and see what the market is like in the winter..

Win/Win for the club, but ultimately I believe Upton will not be back after this contract, and now is the time to swing for the fences.

OP
OP
Gee!

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gambo asked Upton about the trade rumors and he said he doesn't want to be traded.. Wants to remain a DBack..

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Young is the guy they should be looking to trade.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Young is the guy they should be looking to trade.
Young's current BAvg = .203. He has batted .151 with three homers and six RBI in 34 games since returning, after batting.410 with five home runs and 13 RBI through the D'backs first ten games. Six RBI's in 34 games since coming back and accumulating strikeouts and popups!

Young's lifetime BAvg is .236, compared to Upton's .278.

No matter how you look at it, Young isn't going to get us half of the value that Upton would. We'll be happy just to give him away. As far as anticipated value received, is Young really the one the D'backs should be offering to other teams?

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
With the extra Wild Card spots and all the other moves made to create parity it seems like there are fewer and fewer sellers at the trade deadline. Everybody is cautiously optimistic and looking to improve their team.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With the extra Wild Card spots and all the other moves made to create parity it seems like there are fewer and fewer sellers at the trade deadline. Everybody is cautiously optimistic and looking to improve their team.

More buyers = better deal for the sellers.

But I think there are a lot of teams that are looking to move contracts or problem children, so that's going to water down the market a bit.

AsUdUdE

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
More buyers = better deal for the sellers.

But I think there are a lot of teams that are looking to move contracts or problem children, so that's going to water down the market a bit.

BINGO