Ultimate Popcorn Flick Kumite - Voir Dire

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After speaking with the Asian Judge, The Killer barely beat Hard Boiled but Chow Yin Fat is stil going to beat .Ken's ass

Maybe .Ken can use his ballet-like athleticism to thwart Chow Yun Fat's attack. BTW, I agree on the Killer over HB but it's close.

Steve

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's hard to find movies to take out ... but it seems that Supertroopers should be included ..... quotable lines, goofy action, boobs, drug & sex references

I also like that there are some goofy movies on there as well

Seems like there should be more Mel Brooks - The Princess Bride or History of the World (pt 1)

I love Mel Brooks and I love The Princess Bride but I'm not aware of any connection between the two. Am I missing something here?

Steve

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Veto. Better Off Dead is NOT a guy movie. That is an 80s movie.
There are no vetoes. Also, he changed it from "Guy's Movie" to "Popcorn Movie". Yes, it's an 80's movie...so what? It's a great Popcorn Movie.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are no vetoes. Also, he changed it from "Guy's Movie" to "Popcorn Movie". Yes, it's an 80's movie...so what? It's a great Popcorn Movie.

I like the movie but it doesn't really strike me as a popcorn flick. I'm not sure we'd ever be able to reach a consensus on what a popcorn movie really is but if it also includes teen romantic comedies we might do better to define the category by what it isn't.

Steve

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
I love Mel Brooks and I love The Princess Bride but I'm not aware of any connection between the two. Am I missing something here?

Steve

Yeah - there isn't ........ i think i just made an arbitrary connection because they always seemed to be on next to each other in college and the booze fused some false paths

Speaking of booze and college ...... something like PCU ..... "will you blow me where the pampers is"

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah - there isn't ........ i think i just made an arbitrary connection because they always seemed to be on next to each other in college and the booze fused some false paths

Speaking of booze and college ...... something like PCU ..... "will you blow me where the pampers is"

Or how about....

Animal House

How is that not on the list? Wow

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
yeah ..... definitely ..... didn't even double check to see if it was ... great flick

too many good movies

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Taarna asking .Ken why Heavy Metal isn't a man's movie

You must be registered for see images attach

OP
OP
Cardinals.Ken

Cardinals.Ken

That's Mr. Riff-Raff to you!
Reaction score
Taarna asking .Ken why Heavy Metal isn't a man's movie

You must be registered for see images attach

Back off Tarakian!

I'm liking the changes...remember this isn't exclusively my list. It is the product of 13 drunken minds. Sort of like Freddy Kruger is the son of a 1000 maniacs.

I'll recompile the list tomorrow, taking everyone's changes into account. I might even have a run-off for the suggestions that exceed the single switch-out rule.

PS: The Professional is already on the list Jim. I couldn't leave Leon out. :)

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Since we're going with the good movie interpretation of popcorn flick instead of the silly/corny version, pull off Cable Guy and put in Night of the Living Dead (the original).

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cliffhanger
Terminator 2
True Lies
Iron Man
Star Trek
Men In Black
Independence Day
Pirates Of The Carribean (first one)

These are some of my favorite modern era popcorn flicks. Total crowd pleasers.

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cliffhanger? That's the joke of the bunch, right?

i unabashedly love Cliffhanger. I think it's a great action movie, with a breath-taking, surprising opening, a great ridiculous over the top villain and pretty outrageous action sequences, with pretty funny one-liners. it ain't Shakespeare, but it's entertaining as hell to me.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i unabashedly love Cliffhanger. I think it's a great action movie, with a breath-taking, surprising opening, a great ridiculous over the top villain and pretty outrageous action sequences, with pretty funny one-liners. it ain't Shakespeare, but it's entertaining as hell to me.

Agreed!

Almost the definition of popcorn flick.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

:yeahthat: It's a great popcorn flick. I usually look for two things (besides the obvious) in a popcorn movie. It needs to be fun and it needs to be re-watchable. Cliffhanger nails it on both accounts. It's just a little gratuitous nudity away from being the perfect popcorn flick.

Steve