Supporting Member
Reaction score
Larry Crowne

Release Date: July 1, 2011
Studio: Universal Pictures
Director: Tom Hanks
Screenwriter: Tom Hanks, Nia Vardalos
Genre: Comedy, Drama
MPAA Rating: PG-13 (for brief strong language and some sexual content)

Starring: Tom Hanks, Julia Roberts, Bryan Cranston, Cedric the Entertainer, Taraji P. Henson, Gugu Mbatha Raw, Wilmer Valderrama, Pam Grier, Rami Malek, George Takei, Grace Gummer, Rita Wilson, Jon Seda

Plot Summary: Oscar® winners Tom Hanks and Julia Roberts reunite for a dramatic comedy about how the hard knocks from today's recession inspire one everyday guy to undergo a personal reinvention: Larry Crowne.

Until he was downsized, affable, amiable Larry Crowne (Hanks) was a superstar team leader at the big-box company where he's worked since his time in the Navy. Underwater on his mortgage and unclear on what to do with his suddenly free days, Larry heads to his local college to start over. There he becomes part of a colorful community of outcasts, also-rans and the overlooked all trying to find a better future for themselves...often moving around town in a herd of scooters. In his public-speaking class, Larry develops an unexpected crush on his teacher Mercedes Tainot (Roberts), who has lost as much passion for teaching as she has for her husband.

The simple guy who has every reason to think his life has stalled will come to learn an unexpected lesson: when you think everything worth having has passed you by, you just might discover your reason to live.

You must be registered for see images attach

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thoroughly enjoyed this movie! Tom Hanks who wrote and produced as well was stellar as always. Julia was good. Whole cast was good actually!

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
This movie was okay. I don't really think it was worth a full price of admission, but I kind of enjoyed it. Then again, most artists will call this the worst kind of review--you want to evoke a sharp response, be it an "I love it" or "I hate it" response. This movie was 'meh' to me.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
This movie was okay. I don't really think it was worth a full price of admission, but I kind of enjoyed it. Then again, most artists will call this the worst kind of review--you want to evoke a sharp response, be it an "I love it" or "I hate it" response. This movie was 'meh' to me.
If Julia Roberts ever tried acting, she might like it and her movies might not be so meh.

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had no idea Tom Hanks wrote this. I might have to check this out for that alone. It looks cute.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Of course Shane liked it. He's got mad love for movies with scooters in them. :D

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
One reviewer I read called this movie "bland and conventional". That just about sums it up for me.

The movie has some serious and timely themes like downsizing, starting a new career in middle age, being underwater in your mortgage etc., but it doesn"t deal with them in any meaningful way. The whole movie is pretty much just fluff.

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cute movie, I really liked it.

George Takei was awesome!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose